Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University Top Questions

Zubin

Put in hard work and then some.

Christiana

When I was in high school, everything was a competition between me and my classmates. Sometimes, it was healthy competition. However, it often made me feel like I wasn't good enough compared to all of those around me. No one told me that I should instead be concentrated on trying to improve myself. I should have been working harder for my future, not for others approval. Coming to college, I realize that it doesn't matter how my class ranking was in comparison to a classmate. No one you meet in college has any idea what you accomplished in high school. They only pick up on the habits that you gained and the way you care about you future. In the end, all you have is the effort that you put in to set yourself up for a good life, the best way you can. And not for anyone else, but for yourself.

Kristin

I was very stressed out and socially anxious in high school. If I could go back, I would tell myself to relax because it does get better. After being thrown in with all of your peers, you will be in a situation forcing you to socialize with other people and I got over my shyness quickly! As for the anxiety...with my social awkwardnss out of the way, I realized I could turn to classmates if I had questions about class or any other life problem. My advice to all high school seniors would be to take advantage of every opportunity to try a new experience and really work on any weaknesses you feel you have. This is the perfect time for strong personal development with the amazing opportunities you are afforded while in school.

Noah

I would probably tell myself to not worry so much about the change, and think more about the long term future with respect to jobs, my interests, etc. I would remind myself to be my own person and go after whatever I wanted to do.

Adnan

As I searched the coffee house for a booth, I saw my younger, nonchalant self from my high school days. I called him over to sit and talk to him about his future, but as always, the future was not what he wanted to focus on. I remember when I was like that, stubborn and cocky. To get his attention, I told him about the awesome adventures I had in college. What caught his attention was the “party life” at Virginia Tech. It was unbelievable what goes on at those parties but, partying does come with a price. Study time is lost which is an important aspect in college. I explained to him that college will be easy if your time is managed efficiently. It becomes difficult when you wake up with a hangover and you have unfinished calculus homework that should have been completed in advance. The key is balancing your leisure time and school work. With this advice, you will have fun while leaving with a degree, and obtaining a dream career. I left my younger self with a different outlook on what is necessary to put yourself on the right path and succeed in college.

Rebecca

I would tell myself to learn how to study because I was one of those kids who got good grades but barely studied (I actually took AP classes so I can't accuse myself of not applying myself). Take AP Physics more seriously and make sure you actually understanding everything, because physics now is just as hard plus you have thermodynamics to learn, good luck. Go get a job, you are going to need money for yourself in college, and your parents are not going to always have money for you. Also you get some job experience and something to actually put on your resume! And lastly don't waste space in the car by bringing your cello, you aren't going to make the orchestra and you won't even have time to play it for fun, use the extra space to bring more food.

Michelle

To That Pained High School Senior: I know it hurts, you’re claustrophobic and world is closing tighter and no one, not even your most beloved friends, are around to help. But you will make it out alive, you need to focus on healing and mentally loving yourself right now because that’s what will help you survive. Forget about whether or not he loves you because his love does not define you, it doesn't validate you. Stop worrying about those who were not there when you fell from grace, forgive them because if you are to heal right, you must remove the obstruction causing the wound, and that is your anger and resentment. Right now, you may be so lonely it feels like you are drowning, and baby girl we all know you can't swim, but there is no better time to learn than now. Because get this, one day you're going to climb this gorgeous mountain with these beautiful people, and you will witness a most magnificent waterfall and let me tell you, on that day you will willingly plunge yourself into icy depths, swim to shore and realize even in darkness you can grow.

Daniel

In high school, I lived by the words "if you wait until the last minute, it only takes a minute to do." All through my high school career, that motto worked for me because I had not been challenged at a college level. If I could go back to myself in high school, I would say: "don't get used to putting everything off until the end." It may not be the most profound statement, but it summarizes the largest change in my lifestyle since I left home. In college thus far, I have completely changed how and when I do all of my work. Earlier this semester, I found myself listening to online lectures in order to get ahead of the class. Past me from two years ago would have laughed, but as a result I was able to finish the points based class three weeks before finals week. Finishing that class early gave me the opportunity to study for my other challenging classes. If I still lived by my high school motto, I would be suffering at this very moment attampting to complete my online lecture class.

Kelsey

If you have the slightest idea of what you might want to study in college, apply for that major when you apply for the school instead of going into a general studies program. It will save you the trouble of having to force add classes that you want/need to take. I know the course loads can be overwhelming, but if you manage your time well enough, you can easily stay on top of it and still have time for socializing.

Rachael

Rachael, DO NOT LISTEN TO WHAT HIGH SCHOOL TEACHERS SAY ABOUT COLLEGE. It's not scary; the professors do actually care; and the work isn't impossibly hard. Virginia Tech has so many people rooting for you; Staff, faculty, other students. Everyone is on your side. That being said, nobody wants you to succeed more than you do, so push yourself. Don't rely on teachers to remind you of an assignment or answer a question that you haven't asked or ask you to come to office hours when you fail a quiz. Tech provides you with amazing resources, so don't be scared when teachers claim getting help in college is wishful thinking, but, with that said, you still have to help yourself and be willing to reach out. Your professors aren't scary. They're people! People whose main goal is to make sure you pass the test. If professors are too intimidating, go to TAs. If you're still too scared, form study groups with friends. They could probably benefit from it as much as you and nobody says no to making studying less painful! Don't be afraid to get your money's worth! Rachael

Alma

Keep yourself motivated. There's this disease called "senioritis" and you must be careful of not getting it. The affects of senioritis are laziness, short attention span, lack of motivation, and "slacker" attitude. Even once you have been accepted into college, don't stop working. Apply to scholarships, study for exams, write your essays; keep yourself occupied. When you keep yourself busy, you'll see that staying focused and motivated will be as easy as pie. Trust me, if you manage to beat this disease, you will come out the most successful. This attitide and mindset of determination will get you far not only in high school and in college, but in life as well. Remember, your attitude of today, will reflect your personality tomorrow.

Ryan

The main advice that I have is to not stress about the numerous tasks one will face in preparation for the college experience. This absolutely does not mean putting all of the applications, housing requests, scholarship applications, and other work on the back burner. What this means is that the individual approaches these tasks proactively. Making a list of things to do for college was helpful for my case because I was able to just check off items that had been completed. The truth about this process is that catching up is exponentially more difficult than keeping up. Having tabs on all of these demands is essential, but creating a ton of stress over something that one has already decided to get done is by no means the way to go. College is an exciting time, and there will be tons of new experiences. Why make this a stressful time when really it's a new chapter. Be proactive in one's approach, and have fun with the experience!

Justice

Don't get stressed about it and be proactive with the housing contracts and the finacial aid. The worst part is getting through the Hokie SPA. Once that is figured out, it is a relativley simple process.

Alexandra

I would tell myself to enjoy life as it is. Don't wish away high school, becuase there are certainly ascpetcs that you will miss of it. Don't waste all summer waiting for college. Enjoy the happy moments in life to the fullest because you never know when it may disappear. College is different. It is fun but different. You learn to become more independent and how to function without mom. Enjoy your indepence at school, but don't over assert your independence at home. At the end of the day, mom helped you gain that independence and is mostly likely paying for you to find that independence at school. Respect her. As for the transition period, don't feel like you have to plan out your entire life in a week time span. Take it one day at a time, even an hour at time, dealing with the current situation as it is. Be happy when your happy and sad when your sad. Just promise me you won't pass over the happy moments because of the stress to get an A in a class. You as a person are more important than your transcript.

Jacqueline

The first thing I would say to my high school self is that high school is nothing like the real world. I would tell myself to focus on what makes me a better person. More specifically, I would tell myself to start hanging out with people for who they really are, not how many twitter followers they have, or how many 'likes' they have on their profile picture on facebook, for these things do not matter and frankly have no correlation to somebodys value or intelligence. I would tell myself to stop sweating the small stuff and to ask myself when facing problems "is this going to matter in a year?" The answer to that question is valuable when prioritizing what to focus on throughout the day. I would say that being honest with yourself is a priority. Just because your best friends like something, doesn't mean you have to like it to. I would say value the lessons your mistakes have taught you rather than putting value on the feelings your accomplishments have brought. Most importantly I would tell myself to cherish the little moments you have living with your family, because you will miss them.

William

To make sure you go to class...no matter what. While high school learning may have come easily to you, it's tough to learn much of anything if you don't go to class. Just forcing yourself to go, and sit through lecture is a much better option than not going at all. You really need to treat school like a job. Go during the day, and have fun in your off time.

Make friends with your guidance counselor by finding time to set up appointments throughout the year to catch up, and share your dreams, passions, and hopeful plans for the future. No one can help you more during the overwhelming application process to college, than a friendly advisor who wants more than anything to see you succeed! Don’t be intimidated by the “popular” girls with boyfriends and all their high-end clothing and birthday gift cars. One day after years of higher education, you will be able to afford nice things as well, and you will have found your partner along the way. Hormonally induced jealousy or self-destructive criticism won’t help you attain your collegiate and career goals! On that note, forgive that boy who hurt you, and move ahead! Moping around wondering why he left you at prom for that girl in the skimpy dress will only foster negative self-worth and anxiety. Turn the pain into energy to stoke that inner fire; use this as fuel for dedicated determination! Know that your plans may change once you settle into college. Stoic rigidity may hold you back from success in another realm. Passion. Follow it to success!

Alex

As you prepare for this grand trasition to your first step into adulthood you need to remember that that hard work is important. But having fun is needed and not a crime. Going out with friends to blow off steam is one of the best things you will ever do and will help you create the best memories. When you go to graduate from college you won't want to look back on that piece of paper that is your degree, you'll want to call your life-long friend from that crazy night in college.

Peter

After completing my first semester at college and looking back at my experience, I would tell all high school seniors to be patient. Upon entering college, I was excited and inspired. Although I encourage being enthusiastic about this step forward, I think it is important to realize that it will take time to achieve your goals. Mt. Everest is not climbed in a single day. I struggled early on in my first semester because I did not accept that fact. I wanted to have best friends, good grades, and adjusted to college life the first day I got there. Unfortunately, I did not complete those tasks on the first day. Realizing that fact immediately propelled me forward because I knew that they would come. It gave me freedom from the pressure that I placed on myself to adjust quickly. I wish I would have had this wisdom starting out my semester. My advice to all high school seniors entering college is to be patient. You have the opportunity to make all of your dreams come true. I believe you will, but it will not happen in a single day: your success, best friends, and adjustment will come with time.

Jonathan

Dear High-School Self, I am so very pleased that you chose Virginia Tech! You are truly on the path to success and will have many new experiences that will expand your knowledge and understanding of how to live God’s Law. However, before you jump right in, I want you to take a short moment now to heed to some important advice from your all-caring Future Self. First, do not be so needy with your roommate. I understand you want to start a “new” life by actually creating meaningful relationships, but seeking to force your roommate into being friends with you won’t work. Be patient. Look to see if your decisions are selfishly motivated or completely out of a desire to give before you act. Next, learn to prioritize your time right away. You always fall behind in classes by tending to watch TV or play games. Plan ahead of time to get some work or studying done before play, and you will avoid loads of stress in the long run. Last, but not least, please make as many friends as possible. Your best bet is to meet people at the residential college. Love, Future Self

Riley

I would tell myself that it isn't bad being away from your family and friends, you will meet great people whereever you go.

Alex

I would tell myself: The transition to college is not nearly as stressful as you think it will be. Go to a four year university insead of a community college. The transition from a community college to a university seems much harder for me now than from high school to college. Try not to give into seniorits as badly as you have. You are young, lighten up do not be so serious as often as you are. Focus on trying to figure out what you want to study so that you can focus on it. Do not become crippled by the fear of not having the money to go to college, insead try getting the money for college instead of fearing the process. Life is eventually all anyone has. It might be a test for the next life. This life might be all there is. Whatever you think and believe down the road remember that you could die today do not put off what you want to do. Do not leave your questions unaswered stand up and seek out the answer to every problem you feel needs to be answered. Get out there and being living; begin living your life.

Allison

Open your door. It is so important to keep your door open during the first few weeks of school. By doing so this allows for people to pop in and for acquaintances and friendships to be made. Developing friendships early on helps to fight off feelings of loneliness and the homesickness that so many freshman face. By opening the door to your mind, you are able to take in new experiences and look at them from an undistorted lens. In college, you are going to meet people who look at the world differently than you do. This doesn’t mean that you should change who you are, but you should recognize that everyone has a gift or a perspective that they can offer to influence your overall college experience. Finally, apply for scholarships! I didn’t realize how much of a burden paying for college would be. Taking on part time jobs during the school year is so difficult because it takes away from time that could be spent studying, getting involved with clubs, and time spent with friends. Apply for as many scholarships as possible because you’ll need all the help you can get.

Allison

In your first semester make studying a priority. Immerse yourself in the coursework and really gain an understanding for the material. Take every opportunity to study with a group and resist the urge to frequently check social media. The GPA you earn in the first semester will play a major role in the programs, scholarships, and clubs that you may want to participate in. The reality of how expensive college is doesn't hit until you receive your first bill regarding your student account. I highly recommend researching available scholarships and making it a priority to apply to as many as possible. Yes, taking the summer off to enjoy the pool and be with friends is very well deserved after your high school graduation. However, make sure to budget some time to sit down and apply for scholarships. It will be well worth your time and will save you some stress later on down the road. Finally, don't forget to have fun. College is a time for building relationships and connections. Become active in a club or group that interests and excites you! This is a great way to relieve stress after a hectic day. Good luck!

Sakura

If I could go back and talk to my high school self, I would tell her to try and be more outgoing. To sign up to as many extra curricular activites as you can possibly find. I know it is hard to get out of your comfort zone but it will be worth it in the end. I would also tell her to have fun and not stress out so much. Be goal oriented and you will be successful in class and in life.

Maggie

I know, I know, you think you’re a big shot. You glided almost untouchably through high school encased in a world still run and guided by teachers and parents. To you, the AP courses, SAT’s, and anything else high school could throw at you were a snap, and you think college will be, too. My advice to you is not to get too comfortable. Do not put yourself on cruise control through college. Work hard even in the courses you think you already know. Don’t let the independence of being on your own give you the false notion you don’t still have to work hard. Just because someone isn’t behind you with a hot poker does not mean you shouldn’t study hard and even overachieve. Now, you work for yourself. You decide your fate in college by the focus and work you give to it. Yes, you can indulge in some time with friends and clubs, but budget your time. In fact, make sure to do those things. Remember, you’re main job is to learn your major and find out who you are. Balance yourself accordingly and ultimately remember to enjoy life.

Courtney

If i could give advice to my high school self I would tell myself to stay focused. I would no longer worry about the importance of the latest fashions, or who’s dating who, or even about attending the school football game on Friday nights. I would put my education first and foremost. I would study so much harder, and focus on my reason for being in high school in the first place. I would go to tutoring, and ask for help instead of being embarrassed because of what my peers would think or say about me for not understanding. I would not worry so much about extra-curricular activities although they're fun, I would make sure my studies are complete. I would stay after school for extra help and explain that i didn't understand the lesson from that, and or the previous day. I would completely tell my high school self that education should always be first priority. Because no matter what others can take from you, they cannot take your education and your knowledge from you.

Stacie

If I was able to go back in time and give myself advice for the transition for college life, I would tell myself to stay strong and be a strong individual. Also, make sure you work really hard in classes do not slack always study every day after class about what you just learned, because this will help you get a the good grades you need to in order to go to grad school. I would tell myself to stay focused on what you want and do not let anyone get in the way of living up to your dreams. Even when your mom is going to move away from you, you need to stay strong and know what you need to achieve. Keep in mind that you can make it on your own just always stay positive and if obstacles come in your way once you get through them you know it will only make you stronger.

Whitney

Dearest Former Self,You are about to go through major life changes and I know for a fact that you are excited and scared. I can’t tell you what is about to come your way because I cannot ruin the surprise. The surprise is what will make you and shape your entire future. But maybe just brace yourself. If I had to give advice though, I’d tell you that fear is a waste of time. You will never be entirely free of it, but you will learn to shuttle it through your mind and out of your system entirely. Just know that it takes effort—dedication. You have to be committed to your happiness to achieve this. You have to fight for it. Another thing I want you to ponder: happiness is a skill. Happiness does not arrive in the night like a secret guest, waking up from your floor all bright-eyed and bushy-tailed. Happiness is a petition and you have to get it signed. You have to ensure it reaches you, which is harder than you think. Fight though, and remember to respect life. Respect life and respect the importance of love. You got this.

Kyle

If I had the chance, there are a few pieces of advice that I would offer to myself as a high school senior. To begin with, I would advise myself to give more time to activities outside the classroom. Throughout my first year of college, I have had the opportunity to do many extracurricular activities. I played on a few intramural sports teams and got involved in Greek life. But most importantly, I have gotten to do several community service and philanthropy events. Besides being a great resume builder, these kinds of events can offer an experience and incite into the real world that no classroom lecture can supply. All in all, I found out this year that giving back is a feeling that I wished I had discovered in high school. Furthermore, and slightly more trivial, I would advise myself to enjoy the little things that high school offers. I would emphasize attending dances and appreciating them in the moment. Also, appreciate the sports team unity and local rivalries. I have realized that high school is a once in a lifetime experience that passes too quickly. I would just tell myself to enjoy it.

Derek

If I could go back and tell myself one thing it would be, “You’re not as great as you think you are.” Grades have always come easy to me. From kindergarten through high school I never got lower than an A. In high school I started taking harder courses, thinking I would finally be challenged. I thought I might finally have to put some effort into maintaining my high GPA. But I didn’t. By my senior year, I had a pretty big chip on my shoulder. I graduated 6th in my class, and never studied for a single thing. My mom noticed my growing chip and warned me that college wouldn’t be as easy to coast through as high school. She told me that I needed to develop some good, or any, study habits or I was would be in trouble. But I didn’t listen. After all, I had taken AP and Dual Enrollment classes and aced those. I kept the chip on my shoulder right up until I got my first B. It really fell off when I got my second one. So I would definitely go back and tell myself a thing or two.

Mary

Don't be afraid about starting college. There will always be someone that you can become friends with and the homesickness does fade. Work your butt off doing assignments and studying for your classes so that you can reap the rewards of good grades. Don't be afraid to branch out and join a club or go out on the weekend with a group of friends.

Andrew

I would tell myself to really take advantage of the AP/college accredited classes to save time and money while in college. Some counsolers might tell you to take your time and get great grades, but I disagree. I feel it is best for a highschool student to take on difficult classes as early as possible. It will make the transition to college smooth and rewarding.

De ' Ashley

Dear De ' Ashley, I know you have gargantuan dreams and goals, but at this stage in your life I want you to learn how to live a life about others, i.e. otherly. Right now, don't focus on your circumstances and how much everyone plays a part in your life and what part they play. As a person with high expectations in others, you are easily disappointed and look to others for guidance and self-assurance. Be thankful that people have had such a profound effect on you being such an assertive, optimistic, self-aware, and strong young women with great work ethic and integrity. Find a mentor, someone to whom you can go to for advice, who understands the versatile person you are, what you want, and where you are going; that can help you map out your college career and life plans. Also, show people who you are because they care and they want to know who you are as a person and the inspirational, unique friend who genuinely cares. In discovering yourself, know that everyone fulfills a different purpose and don’t be afraid to fail or admit faults. With all my heart, De ' Ashley Spain

Megan

My advice to my high school self would be to put more effort in studying the classes that do not come as easy to you.

Loriann

First off I would apply to several more groups and organizations. I was so focused on classes and my senior year I made a decision I have always regretted. I chose to take a period off, instead of taking an extra class or organization I took off the class and used that time to relax and enjoy my day. Although I enjoyed the time I had I have always regretted the chance to use that period to is fullest potential. I wish that I used that class to go beyond my comfort zone and take a college course and getting ready for classes. My final bit of advice would be that college is not the scary and difficult study I heard about nor is it the crazy life filled adventure as seen in movies. Instead college is its own life style filled with times to prove maturity and to take chances. I would urge myself to focus on joining more organizations and taking a college course or two preparing for the future agead.

Drue

I would tell myself to not be as lazy. I was a horrible procrastinator and rarely took school seriously as I was able to skate by. Knowing what I know now I would tell myself that life isn't a joke and you need to be ready. Take your classes seriously and don't procrastinate. Also, get more involved in things.

Daniel

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would advise myself to do several things. One main thing would be to start trying to get in the habit of being more studious. While in college, there have been many times where I have had to spend many hours in the library studying or doing homework. I would advise my high school self that by developing the patience and habits of sitting down, focusing, and completing what ever school work I may have, the transition to college would be much easier. I would also advise my high school self other things as well. Another thing I would advise myself would be to learn to effectively balance work/studies with enjoying yourself. Although one must spend many hours working and studying, you still need to have fun so that you don't get burned out. I would tell my high school self that I need to start planning out my time schedule so that I get all my school work done, but still leave time for me to relax or doing something I enjoy.

Tiesha

The best advice given to my high school senior self, Keep up the good work. Enjoy life and it's many offerings being the young enthusiacitc adult you are. Pass all of your AP exams. The mystery to getting a A is continous studying, participation, attendance, and homework completion. There is no room for laziness or the I wish I would have done that. For lunch, have a water with a cold cut maybe a piece of fruit from out of your lunch box. Never fail Gym, that's the easiest class to pass. Remeber aim for honor roll classes, talk to whatever counsel to get you squared away with your classes. Continue the day throughout unitl three o'clock, the most important thing. Respect each and every teacher in the entire school everyday, while trying to help one another. Try getting a job successfully on the weekends. During the week should be dedicated to homework and studying with friends. When graduation arrives have had the best four years of your life. Talk about when you remember like it was yesterday that you were entering the ninth grade. Prom, maybe a senior trip are all great. Just bravery and love.

Alberta

Life is a disappoinment and even though you may find employment you stll may not find enjoyment. I know that you are feeling like you are the one god sent to get bent (drunk) and do things that makes no sense, but you dreams will escape. Everyday you will sit around and hope to be ok on a different date. Five years from now will wake up with your heart singing the blues, feet feeling like you are wearing two left shoes, and left with only a couple options to choose from. I need you to acknowledge that playing in the National Women's Basketball Association (NWBA) is your passion and that attending school for fashion is just temporaily relaxing.Your actions today will permenantly get in your way and all of the opprtunities you have now is not here to stay. College is hard, but it will be easier if you decide now to work hard, study, and get rid of your buddy. Not everyone get the chance to be told about their future, so lets make a bet. I promise to make sure you live a good healthy life if you stay away from the alcohol and cigarettes.

Kayla

The advice I would give high school senior self would be not to worry about going to community college first. It's not worth fighting the parents over. It works out for the best anyway because the math professors at Virginia Tech are much harder and do not care about one on one teaching. I would also tell my high school self to dump my at the time boyfriend. He was only good for was holding a girl back and wasn't very supportive in life choices. He ends up dropping out of school and doesn't amount to very much years later anyway. Lastly, I would tell myself to not be too discouraged when things don't turn out exactly how you see them in your mind. There are many paths to take and you end up doing fairly well for yourself.

Sara

Take in every experience that is available and retain good study habits that were taught to you early in life.

Alyssa

Don't be nervous! My first year of college at Virginia Tech was the most fun I have had. It is a big transition being on your own but with a good group of friends and keeping true to yourself it will be extremely exciting and fun. Make sure to keep your head in your studies and limit the amount of nights you go out. Getting good grades and going out is possible! So just be responsible and have fun! If you ever get a chance to do something new, do it! Go outside your comfort zone and don't regret anything!

LaQuisha

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior I would tell myself to participate in more community service projects and take more dual enrollment courses. Colleges really do pay attention to students extracurricular activities and the things they do for the community as a whole. Universities give excellent merit scholarships based on those credentials and as a student you need to stand out from others to be noticed. I realized that after I graduated from junior college that I can have the same grade point average as the girl sitting next to me but the only difference is that she has went above and beyond what I have done, and has achieved a lot more credentials and experience than I have, and if we both were applying for the same job , I wouldn't even be considered for the position. Sadly enough to say, yes I know, but it is very true. So not only to myself, but to other high school students who really want to stand out and go above and beyond, set yourself apart from other students and you will surely be a candidate for great awards.

Marcus

I would say get to know everyoe. Consider everyone a potential friend and be friendly to everyone. Don't be shy!! Get to know people on your hall. I would also say to try new things and join something you like, not necessarily what everyone else is doing. It's easy to just sit in your dorm room all day but that's not what college is about. But most of all I'd say, make sure you have no regrets because you'll never be a college freshman again.

George

Storm- Remember when you took spanish one in eighth grade, and then had the choice to take spanish one freshman year or move on to spanish two? You took spanish two. Big mistake. You spent almost every year of high school trying to get the right amount of high school credits in language to be eligible for the colleges you were appying to. After taking spanish two, you had to go back and repeat spanish one, and then take spanish one again at a college level at a community college. That was not a fun way to spend summer break! You should have taken spanish one again freshman year and gotten all your credits in order. Hola Storm, you really blew that one!

Ryan

The most important aspect of college may just be the social interaction with academic faculty members. If I could, then I would tell my past self to regularly chat and network with professors and academic advisors. When a class has coursework that does not seem overly difficult or unruly, go to a professor’s office hours and discuss the real world applications of the course material; do not just idly sit by absorbing the knowledge like a sponge and give it no heed or credence. Professors are valuable resources who can help sift through careers and find the perfect match for a student’s particular interests. They can give positive recommendations and even involve their students in very remarkable and real world-impacting research projects. There is no good or sensible reason not to have a relationship with professors when they can give you so much in return for so little from their students.

Kristen

College can be the most rewarding time of your life, if you let it. Work hard no matter what the circumstance; you have your eye set on a college out of town, but dwelling on the fact you have to stay closer to home is highly unnecessary. Complete your first two years at your local college and remember to go to class! College allows you freedom, but it doesn’t mean you take advantage of it every chance available. The minute you stop attending class, you’ll find yourself failing and your transcript showcasing a person that is highly unlike you. The dreams you had of leaving won’t come true for another four years if you act this way. Please start saving for school; when you’ve signed up for classes and your parents stare at you with questionable eyes asking, “How do you plan on paying for this?" you’ll know why it’s important to save. If anything, don’t give up on yourself. Don’t assume your future will never end up how you planned because it will if you stay focused on your goals. And remember, happiness is incredibly more important than piles of money.

I would choose to live in the dorm. I decided to live off campus my freshman year to save money; however, I have missed out on the "initiation process" as a freshman. I have also missed out on making friends from different places. I would have enjoyed campus life.

Allison

The first thing I would tell myself is to truly enjoy every moment with your friends and family because it is much harder to be without them then you will think. The next thing I would tell myself is that there are a lot of different people in college and it's important to know who you are and be confident in what you are doing. If I could give myself advice about school, I would say don't be afraid of a challenge and make sure you take advantage of the amazing opportunity to attend college at a world class university and to be use to utilize all it offers.