Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University

« See more reviews of Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University

Tech has a required curriculum for all engineering majors, which is extremely helpful, but they often do not have enough class sections to accomodate everyone. Despite the fact that students complete a course request before they are allowed to sign up for classes, space inevitably runs out and the unlucky students who do not get all of their desired classes must wait until the following semester, thus setting them back and requiring them to either take an extra heavy courseload the following semester or push classes off a semester once again. It's as if faculty ignores the course requests.

The Math Emporium is the most frustrating thing about Virginia Tech. However, typically only first year students have to take classes at the Math empo because the classes offered there are lower level math classes(Calculus and below) The course is all online except for the quizes and tests which have to be taken at the math emporium off campus. You have deadlines to meet like any other class but it is all self paced and you have to be very organized about it. My advice is to take AP Calculus AB and BC in high school.

The school is so huge that it is really hard to find your niche. This sounds like it would be the opposite becuase there is "something for everyone". However, because VT is so big, you really have to search for somewhere you fit in well. The basic interests of a Tech student include football, partying, and some sort of science/math major. I wish I had really understood how involved you have to get on your own to really enjoy all aspects of this school. If you enjoy jumping right into a group, VT may be too big for you.

The most frustrating thing is the cost of tuition and living expenses. I am not a resident in Virginia therefore I pay out of state tuition and my student loans pile up every semester. I have a job on campus which provides me with money for the rent and bill payments. During the past 2 summers I have had internships with two great companies and each of them paid well but I had grants revoked from me due to the money I made from the internships.

The minority pool is extremely small, and sometimes there is racism even though its not direct you can tell people look at you differently because they more than likely were raised around people who only looked like them. This applies to all races, so people tend to stick close to that race mostly. It's not like its that way all around campus but if you paid close attention or were directly in the line of fire you'd notice.

For me, the most frustrating thing about Virginia Tech is how expensive it is for me as an out-of-state student, and how much I love it. If I were not so happy here, then it would be easy for me to transfer somewhere in state and significantly lower the cost of my education. I'm sure it is much cheaper than some schools, but for my family right now it is near impossible which is very frustrating.

The most frustrating thing is that there is so much to do at Tech you don't have enough time to do it all in four years! I wish that I could keep learning and obtaining degrees, but that is not practical. From football, to intermurals, the Cascades, hiking, on campus events. There is so much to do, but only four years to do it!

The cost of school! The cost of college is a huge load on my family. My family being split I have 4 other siblings and having to put them all through college is going to be a huge dent in my parents bank account. Getting even the tiniest amount of scholarship money would greatly take some pressure off my parents.

The parking situation on campus is difficult for people who live off-campus because with all the new construction going on around our campus, commuter parking is disappearing. However, they are fixing this situation by providing more buses in the surrounding apartment complexes to make it easier on students.

I'm having trouble dealing with the lack of people who take schoolwork seriously. I come from a high school that had a very competitive atmosphere and I really miss it. I feel like most of my fellow freshman are not as excited to take new courses and learn as they are to be away from home and party.