Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University

« See more reviews of Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University

Close-knit community, school spirit, outstanding academics and faculty, research opportunities, diversity- the list is never ending for the characters that Virginia Tech abides by. I feel the foundation of VT is formed on so many things, each donating its unique qualities, which help to form the ?Ut Prosim? motto of VT, the best thing about this school. This motto ?that I may serve? has many interpretations, but I feel it means serving anywhere from our community to our country, Virginia Tech is dedicated to helping others, while still providing an environment suitable for growth, preparing us for the future.

Virginia Tech has one of the most challenging engineering programs in the country, and I'm excited to take that challenge head on. In order to help students rise to the occassion, Virginia Tech offers numerous resources. In fact, in orientation they say "We will give you every resource you could possibly need to succeed. If you fail, you have no one to blame but yourself." This includes free tutoring, professor office hours, and even a special Math Emporium dedicated to helping students with everything related to math. It's an extremely student-friendly school, and I appreciate that.

The best thing about Virginia Tech is all of the people here. Everyone that I've met was very friendly. Too often, transfer students feel left out of the loop, but not here. I have never felt unwelcome by anyone here, even when I am very demanding. The students and faculty have always been helpful. The town of Blacksburg itself is also very inviting, thanks to its particular brand of Southern hospitality infused with Hokie pride. The wonderful environment at Virginia Tech is the pleasant responsibility of the students, faculty and staff, and citizens of Blacksburg.

The best thing about my school is its community and spirit. People always said that we looked and acted like a cult. I don't disagree. We have this sense of "home" at our school. Strangers were just people who you didn't get to know yet. This is most evident during our football games and through our football pride. However, I really sensed this during the 4/16 shooting. There was no hatred amongst different races, nor was there outcast of people. Everyone came together to show respect and sorrow. We were there for each other. We were home.

The best thing about Virginia Tech is the amazing atmosphere about the place. When you look out your dorm window you are faced with white stone buildings that remind you of a fantasy land. The people you meet are so focused on the school and the next football game that sometimes you find yourself wondering what could make you want to leave. The food is fantastic and anywhere you go you find some sort of school spirit. It's one of those places that you feel like you are in a parallel universe that you are reluctant to leave.

The best thing about my school is being able to go anywhere in the entire word and be recognized as a Hokie. The school spirit here is unfathomable. I feel like I am apart of a never ending family. I am able to receive the help and guidance I need with no problem. Making friends was extremely easy because there are so many things to get involved in, so finding similar interests with other people was easy. Becoming a Hokie is the best thing that has ever happened to me.

The comrodery that I have developed so many friendships so quickly and how everyone at my school has welcomed me with open arms has greatly enhanced my first semester of school. The close relationships that I have already built will no doubt carry me through the next 3 1/2 years. I can't wait!!! The help and ease at which i was able to manuever through the first semester has really calmed my nerves about leaving home and being on my own for the first time.

The best thing about Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University [Virginia Tech] is by far, the sense of community and strong school spirit. As soon as you step on campus, the energy that you feel is amazing and it is obvious that each student genuinely wants to be there and loves the school. The student body is welcoming and accepting of new and prospective students. Even after graduating, returning to campus feels like coming home to family.

The best thing about Virginia Tech is the sense of community on the campus. No matter what difficulties the school has faced we've come together as a family every time to help with healing. Even though I don't know each student, teacher, administrator, or alumni I feel close to them and would go out of my way to help them. The best part? I know with out a doubt that all of them would do the same for me. The Hokie Family is why I love my school so much.

What I consider the best thing about Virginia Tech is the Hokie Spirit!! There is just something about being a Hokie that is inviting and makes you feel like Virginia Tech is your home. Every day students are decked out in maroon and orange. During the football games, you do not see an open seat and the fans are cheering the sports teams right along! We have great camaraderie here and I couldn't have picked a better university to attend!