Roanoke, VA
Virginia Western Community College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Virginia Western Community College

Caroline

I entered Virginia Western Community College as a timid 17-year-old, fresh out of high school. I graduated high school in three years and chose to attend community college for two years on an academic scholarship. While Virginia Western lacks some of the qualities most 4-year universities have, Virginia Western equips students with the tools and experiences to thrive in the work force and the classroom. The composition of Virginia Western students is very diverse. Some students are working to earn certificates and enter the workforce while others, like myself, are working to earn associates degrees and transfer to 4-year universities to acquire a bachelor’s degree. The college even has guaranteed transfer agreements with several public universities in Virginia. The experiences I had at Virginia Western have given me the confidence and the knowledge to approach my future education head on. The college provides students with incredible academic resources, like free tutoring, to promote academic awareness and responsibility. Any student can thrive at Virginia Western. The diverse student body composition ensures there is a place for everyone. Additionally, the small class size and approachable professors allows new college students to slowly transition from high school to college. Looking back on my time at Virginia Western, I am so thankful for the opportunity to earn an Associate’s Degree through the college and gain a better understanding of what a college course load is like. As I transfer to the University of Virginia in the fall to study commerce, I am confident that I am prepared and ready to thrive because of Virginia Western Community College.

elizabeth

Virginia Western is a terrible school. This is reflected in the success rate. Do not waste your time or financial aid. You have to basically camp out in your advisors office if you even meet your advisor. You have to beg and plead to get things done around there and simple tasks are such a big deal around there. They add courses to your curriculum to prevent you from graduating probably a money racket to keep you in that hell hole. That place sucks and they actually try to call that place "Harvard on the Hill" yeah right! It takes you years to get what should be a two year degree. The professors there are of no assistance and really could careless about their students. I actually attended a four year college before coming to Virginia Western and it was a state institution. Although, it was a little more money it was money well spent. I didn't have to run around campus trying to get forms signed and begging to get things done and add this drop that, I would not recommend "Harvard on the Hill" to ANYBODY!! DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME OR MONEY!!! YOU WILL NOT SUCCEED if you want to be a college drop out or waste years of your life the GO here.

Spencer

Virginia Western is a great stepping stone for students who wish to transfer to a four year school. It provides small class sizes and a personal learning environment. If you finish your degree with a 3.0 GPA, you are guaranteed acceptance into a number of larger public schools.

Aaron

Virginia Western Community College is the best community college in the area. All the teachers I have had were great and always willing to help. My fellow students were good and I formed some new friendships there. The college offers several ways of helping students learn. The best of these is the math center which helps students with math, sciences, and programming.

Savannah

I believe Virginia Western is a good stepping stone before attending a four-year institution. It offers basic classes that are good to transfer to other schools. Some students however view the courses as work and aren't too enthusiastic. However, once you get in the higher level courses it becomes more interesting and specialized. It's a good start to save money or is you are unsure where you want to go. But ultimately try to transfer to a four year school quickly.

Sidney

I have had an amazing experience at Virginia Western. The teachers have helped me tremendously. I have taken both on-line and on-campus classes and have loved everyone of them. I am very grateful for a college where I can get my Associate's Degree and then transfer to another college to receive my Bachelor's Degree. This college has been one of the best decisions I have made because it has provided me with exceptional help financially.

Thea
Why did you decide to go to this school?

Why did you decide to go to this school?

There was a private college that I had a lot of scholarships for but my family is very financially unfortunate and despite the good amount of scholarships I received from that school, we were still not able to pay the remaining tuition even though I wasn't going to live in the campus. My family decided to send me to a community college, and I didn't like the idea at first but I wanted to comply with my parents' wants to make life easier for them. They then enrolled me at the best community college near our area, and it was Virginia Western Community College. I don't regret being enrolled at all for I have come to love the school and the people in it. More power to VWCC!

Where is the best place to get work done on campus?

The best place to get things done is at the library of Virginia Western. You can have individual rooms that cater to group studies or group discussions, or you could simply work diligently on your own in the quiet third floor. The second floor has more computers and it's a little bit more chatty because there are tutors who are helping some students with their classes. It's also become somewhat like a hang-out place for many studious students but it remains to be a very relaxed, hard-working atmosphere. It is very encouraging to see other students work. It makes you want to work too!

What's the dating scene like?

Dating couples are actually very respectful with each other. It's very rare to see two people slumped over one another and display a massive amount of PDA. I also noticed that couples encourage each other to study hard by studying outside of class together and working in the library alongside of each other. For the most part, I believe that the couples at Virginia Western Community College take their relationships as encouragement more than a distraction.

The worst thing about my school is the lack of food. There's only three places you can get food: Domino's, Subway, and Starbucks. Vending machines are excluded but sometimes they don't work as well either. Other than that, I don't have any other complaints. For a community college, it provides a really good program and accommodates students really well regarding their need of assistance from getting to know Virginia Western to finishing successfully at Virginia Western.

Justin

Virginia Western is known for the admission rate , finacial add being able to cover tuition completley as well as being a 2 year school.

From my short time after graduation I have come up with the idea, that to work and live to reach a large amount of money is to work and live for your death. In other words coming from the perspective of a highschool student with no knowledge or network of individuals to help put you in the postion to make a large amount of money is unrealistic. A better way to think would be to find the thing in your haert that you love , are passionate about and would do for free if need be. In highschool I would have argued why would I find something in my heart when I can many differnet things to to make money. I now can answer back by saying I have seen people come to work every day hating there job. I even know individuals who have attempted suicide becuase of the stress that thier job create. Do you want to be the next person hating their life in pursuite of money? I can tell you for a fact that if you dig deep in your heart and find passion with out a doubt the money will come.

I consider students not being pushed to find something that they love and are passionate about for career choices to be the worst thing about Western.

Morgan

Virginia Western Community College is known for its affordable tuition, as well as a great place to either get an Associate's Degree or to get core classes done in preperation for 4 year Universities. Many, if not most of the students, go to Virginia Western to save money and/or continue to live at home.

I would tell myself how much different the workload is in college and how stressful it will be, so I could better prepare my study habits. I would have told myself to do some research on my career path and to really do some soul searching. College life is so much different than high school life, and high school doesn't really prepare one for college as much as I thought so. The movies and people lie when they talk about how much fun it is and how much freedom there will be. Bottom line to my high school me : Work really hard and learn to study properly!

I would consider the fact that there are not enough parking spaces to be one of the worst things about Virginia Western. Another downside is there isn't really a whole bunch of space or tables to eat lunch. They have a few spots to sit and eat, but not enough for everyone there.

Virginia Western Community College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.