Roanoke, VA
Virginia Western Community College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Virginia Western Community College

ashley

my class mates are all unique and creative.

my class mates are all unique and creative.

If I could go back in time and talk to my senior self, I would tell me to stay focused and organize better. One of the big things I have learned about college is that I have a lot more freedom but at the same time more responsiblity so I really need to remember to keep all of my studying, test, and notes in order because it is entirly up to me to succeed. I would also tell myself not to worry because the horror stories are not ture, I won't get kicked out if I am a few minutes late and I won't get laughed at if I don't get the right answer. I would also say that yes the people are smarter, but they are also more mature so don't feel inferior or nervouse about speaking up in class.

The art department, and how much I love the projects we are assinged. I also talk about my psych classes and the experiments we gat to conduct on campus. They are so unique and fun.

Sheneka

The teachers are very intelligent and hard working, if you apply yourself, you will make it. Also the campus its is fun and have a varity of students.

The parking and the walking distance, it is very hard to find a parking place, and the walk. I dont like to walk so if it involves walking I don't like it.

First of all; buckle down and study more. If you want to go somewhere in life then start early. second; apply for every grants, get good grades to achieve more. and third, be more attentive and relax when it come to school work.

My classmates are intelligent, respectful, kind and gifted people that are working hard to accomplish their goals in life.

I would tell myself that college is something not to be taken for granted. As a senior in high school, I allowed myself to not concentrate on my studies as much as I now know you need to. I would tell myself that working hard to get a good education is something that needs to be done. A person is not going to just get a degree by not doing anything. I would tell myself that I need to be sure to work hard and not allow myself to use up all my spare time with friends and my social life when others things need to be accomplished to be able to ensure a good future. I would tell myself to get my act together and make school and my studies my number one priority.

I think that the most frustrating thing about my school are some of the students that go there. Some students go to my college and act like it is just something to occupy their time. The students are loud and do not have any respect for the other students that have worked hard to get to where they are in college. Those students need to be told to keep quiet and have respect for the students that are trying hard to get a good education and be respectful of the teachers that are trying to teach.

Julie

My school is best known for its great sense of community ( it is known as "The Community's College." My school is also known for its great academic programs. One imparticular that is making leaps and bounds is the Art deparment's Communication Design program. It is fantastic.

Hey! I know you are definitely freaking out right now. You are so confused about where you are going to go and what you should do versus what you want to do. My only advice is do not fret. Everything will work itself out. Do not blow through these years just so you can "make it through" college. Enjoy each class, each assignment (I know those things are hard), each person, and each day. Drink in your college experience. Before you know it you wasted everyday just "getting by." That is no way to live. Be patient.

The kind of person that should attend Virginia Western Community College should be someone with an interest in good people, a great atmosphere, and a phenomenal education at a cheaper rate than a four year institute. Virginia Western's faculty is comprised of some of the best people I have ever known and I admire each one of current and former professors for their work at the College and their overall achievements and personalities. If you have a great teacher you will learn great things.

Christina

In the Culinary program, the students come from all different walks of life and are just so diverse a group; I love all my classmates because it shows me the diversity that exists in the culinary business.

In high school I was always very shy. Going into college, I was so scared about the possibility of not being able to make friends because of my shyness and tendency to be quiet. However, the students in my classes have put me totally at ease and I have made closer friends at college than I ever did in high school. I remember calling my mom after one of my classes and just being so excited while telling her about all the new friends I made. If I had one piece of advice to give myself as a high school senior I would tell myself to just relax and enjoy the last little bit of high school before venturing out into a more grown-up world where many people aren't nearly as scary as I thought; many people are amazingly friendly after all.

Before college I was so scared about the tests and projects and papters. All of my fears were put aside after my first test though. As long as I do all the assigned work I get a decent grade in my classes. However, if I do more than just what's required, then I get great grades in college!

My school provides a variety of majors and opportunities for the students. The teachers help you progress as you further in your education and are there everytime you need them. As oppose to hundreds of students in the classrooms, theres only a few handful that the teacher is able to focus on, and sometimes able to focus on for one on one sessions to further help you understand the lectures.

If I could go back in time, I would tell myself that I should of picked up better studying habits. I know how to study but back in high school I never really had to study as much as i do now, and sometimes it always takes me hours to study just for one class, back in high school it only took me about an hour to study for a couple of classes and I was done and on to do my own social thing. I just wished that I would of spent more time on my school books then anything else because it would of helped me in college now as oppose to staying up all night and cramming for my next test.

The worst thing about my school would have to be that since it is a community college, i pretty much know everyone here, i would prefer to transfer out somewhere else and meet a whole variety of new people.

Meghan

Make your choices on whats best for you. Listen to your heart and head. Have fun but remember your priority is to learn. Take time to laugh and hang with friends. But always remember the priority.

Melissa

I love Virginia Western and I will miss it so much. I have moved on to another university, but will always think of Western as my first college experience. The teachers are phenomenal, you could not ask for a better education. They are all very intelligent and challenge their student's. Virginia Western also has one of the most beautifully maintained campuses I have ever seen. My favorite thing to do was to eat lunch with a friend in the garden, or meet up in the lounge area watch some tv and drink coffee. It is a fantastic school that is totally student orientated and they do an amazing job making the place as comfortable as possible for everyone.

For a community college, Virginia Western always seemed to have something going on for everyone. Often there were banquets, club meetings, and theater productions happening at the same time. There is always something going on for everyone. I really liked that because it kept options open. Western is a great place to meet lots of cool, new people.

I believe one stereotype about Western students are we do not take our education as seriously as other students who choose to go to a 4 year university either right out of high school or later in life.

My favorite thing about attending a community college is the diversity of age you will see. Generally at a 4 year university a majority of the people will be your same age, but at Western there are people of all ages. It really lends a interesting blend to the classes. People of all ages and races often leads to a more well rounded discussion and many different views on many different subjects. Not only is it diverse, but the diversity is what pulls us together. Most student I encountered were proud they were students at Western and loved the school as much as I did. We are from all over the place, from all kinds of backgrounds and situations, but at Virginia Western we are all proud to be students.

I really loved all my professors at Western. Some people might expect to see lesser qualified professors working at a community college, but this is just not true. The class sizes are relatively small, my largest class being 40 people. This makes the class much more personal because your professors will learn your names and you become closer that way. The classes were so challenging, all of them. But the work load is evenly balanced and the professors are SO helpful. I never had a class at Western in the two years I attended where a professor was not available for help outside of class. In fact, most teachers insist you make appointments for extra help. They want you to pass, but they will make you work for it. I feel like I got a top notch education and learned a lot from my professors and class mates.

That is totally false! If anything, we take our education more seriously! The stigma attached to community colleges is fading away as more and more students realize what a great idea it is to attend a cheaper college for two years. Many Western students have families, jobs and other responsibilities that make it difficult to attend a 4 year university right away, but that doesn't stop us! We take our education just as seriously as any other student because we too want to succeed.

The naked truth: I loved Virginia Western. It was my home for two years (I did practically live on campus). There were more then a few times I caught up on a nap on a sofa in the bridge. It is a fantastic school and one of the best decisions I feel I have ever made. I met so many cool people, of all ages, in my classes and just around campus. Everyone was friendly and helpful and I believe that is because we all shared the same goal: to make a better life for ourselves. Although I have moved on to another university, Virginia Western will always be my first college and some of the best memories of my time in college were spent there.

Andy

Affordable. Gives you time to decide what you want to do with your life as far as a career or if you want to transfer to a four year school.

Overall, I had a wonderful experience here. The only bad thing is the attitude that other people have toward this school because it is a community college.

Classes are small – no more than thirty people. I worked a full time and part-time job and managed to take full-time classes between distance learning/hybrid classes and weekend classes. Multiple sections of classes you need are offered so that they can fit into your schedule. Most of the professors were pretty understanding; they understand that you have other responsibilities.

There are activities – we have a basketball team and cheerleading team and a journal club for science students. There is plenty of stuff to do if you want to get involved, but you don’t feel alienated if you don’t want to get involved.

Continuation of high school; not a “real” college because it is a community college; classes are easy; you don’t have to work as hard

A little bit of everybody. Kids out of high-school; senior citizens; single mothers; people coming back for second career; adults continuing their education.

Virginia Western Community College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.