Roanoke, VA
Virginia Western Community College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Virginia Western Community College

Raymond

Ecclectic and multicultural individuals that keep you exposed to new ideals and old.

Raymond, Despite what you may think right now, you are truly ok. The fear and insecurity you feel in yourself, mind and soul are all stemmed from a mental illness and as scary as that might sound, it will be the largest blessing for you. With the knowledge you gain through learning about yourself, you will do great things through advocating for others who suffer from the same. More so, your illness actually makes college and learning come easy! So suck it up buckoo and take the leap of faith! You can achieve so much for so many in this world if you just take that first step and i wish you could see that. So please, know that not only i believe in you but every person you connect with will as well and it's all due to the uniqueness of your brain. You will accomplish so much with so little and because of that, i'm proud to know you. Sincerely, -R

The speed at which changes happen but wth any public enttity, sometimes you have to be patient.

Chloe

I think the advice that I would have given myself is to take advantage of EVERY single opportunity no matter if that benefitted me in a negative or positive way. Opportunities in the past few years good and bad, have taught me more than I ever knew possible. The opportunity to be a pharmacy technician and then find out that it is not my calling. The opportunity to try out for a high-quality dance intructor training program and then not make it. The opportunity to serve over 40 plus hours with a Dr. in Physical Therapy so I could get into a 28 person Physical Therapy program and then not get accepted. The opportunity to be accepted into a 38 person Respiratory Therapy Program but not attend the school because I now have options. In high school, I didn't have options because I didn't take all my opportunities to my full advantage. I will now be attending Roanoke College in Fall 2015 and majoring in Communications. I have never loved school more or felt more positive in my life to continue this journey!

The worst thing about my school is the guidance department. Since 2011, I have been treated terribly everytime I walk through the doors by the woman at the front desk. I have come into the office looking for a couple quick questions answered numerous times when I have visited the guidance department at Virginia Western Community College and each time she yells at me and brings me to tears. I am a college student that shouldn't have to worry about the guidance department being annoyed with me asking them questions about my education. That's their job.

I believe the type of person who should attend this college is someone who really isn't ready for a 4 year college yet out of high school. Someone who still has alot to figure out mentally should chose this school as their first option. It has helped me discover abilities of the things I never knew I was so great at! The type of person who wants to save money and be less stressed. You get to live at home and not have to worry about food, shelter, or unconditional love and suppot from your parents.

I would tell myself to relax! All the overthinking and stressing is unnecessary and will only make you think you're doing a lot worse than you actually are!

If anything, I would say the parking. Sometimes it is very hard to find a decent parking spot!

I have had some amazing professors. The majority of them in my degree program are engaging and thought-provoking.

Kiara

I'd look myself in the eyes and tell that young girl to be brave. I'd say it's a big world but your determination is bigger and any dream worth having is worth working hard for. Dont be afraid to take that first step and to keep climbing even when it hurts or seems impossible. Dont let anyone stop you, not even slow you down. You are a strong and brilliant young women. You may make mistakes and fall short, but dont ever stop believing in yourself. Always dig deep and keep pushing because you have so much to keep going for. Stand tall in the face of adversity and have faith in everything you do. Life is only beginning and your story is unwritten. I'd give her a pencil, and tell her you may not understand it now, but you have the power to create your own destiny!

ashley

my class mates are all unique and creative.

my class mates are all unique and creative.

If I could go back in time and talk to my senior self, I would tell me to stay focused and organize better. One of the big things I have learned about college is that I have a lot more freedom but at the same time more responsiblity so I really need to remember to keep all of my studying, test, and notes in order because it is entirly up to me to succeed. I would also tell myself not to worry because the horror stories are not ture, I won't get kicked out if I am a few minutes late and I won't get laughed at if I don't get the right answer. I would also say that yes the people are smarter, but they are also more mature so don't feel inferior or nervouse about speaking up in class.

The art department, and how much I love the projects we are assinged. I also talk about my psych classes and the experiments we gat to conduct on campus. They are so unique and fun.

Sheneka

First of all; buckle down and study more. If you want to go somewhere in life then start early. second; apply for every grants, get good grades to achieve more. and third, be more attentive and relax when it come to school work.

The teachers are very intelligent and hard working, if you apply yourself, you will make it. Also the campus its is fun and have a varity of students.

The parking and the walking distance, it is very hard to find a parking place, and the walk. I dont like to walk so if it involves walking I don't like it.

My classmates are intelligent, respectful, kind and gifted people that are working hard to accomplish their goals in life.

I would tell myself that college is something not to be taken for granted. As a senior in high school, I allowed myself to not concentrate on my studies as much as I now know you need to. I would tell myself that working hard to get a good education is something that needs to be done. A person is not going to just get a degree by not doing anything. I would tell myself that I need to be sure to work hard and not allow myself to use up all my spare time with friends and my social life when others things need to be accomplished to be able to ensure a good future. I would tell myself to get my act together and make school and my studies my number one priority.

I think that the most frustrating thing about my school are some of the students that go there. Some students go to my college and act like it is just something to occupy their time. The students are loud and do not have any respect for the other students that have worked hard to get to where they are in college. Those students need to be told to keep quiet and have respect for the students that are trying hard to get a good education and be respectful of the teachers that are trying to teach.

Julie

My school is best known for its great sense of community ( it is known as "The Community's College." My school is also known for its great academic programs. One imparticular that is making leaps and bounds is the Art deparment's Communication Design program. It is fantastic.

Hey! I know you are definitely freaking out right now. You are so confused about where you are going to go and what you should do versus what you want to do. My only advice is do not fret. Everything will work itself out. Do not blow through these years just so you can "make it through" college. Enjoy each class, each assignment (I know those things are hard), each person, and each day. Drink in your college experience. Before you know it you wasted everyday just "getting by." That is no way to live. Be patient.

The kind of person that should attend Virginia Western Community College should be someone with an interest in good people, a great atmosphere, and a phenomenal education at a cheaper rate than a four year institute. Virginia Western's faculty is comprised of some of the best people I have ever known and I admire each one of current and former professors for their work at the College and their overall achievements and personalities. If you have a great teacher you will learn great things.

Christina

In the Culinary program, the students come from all different walks of life and are just so diverse a group; I love all my classmates because it shows me the diversity that exists in the culinary business.

In high school I was always very shy. Going into college, I was so scared about the possibility of not being able to make friends because of my shyness and tendency to be quiet. However, the students in my classes have put me totally at ease and I have made closer friends at college than I ever did in high school. I remember calling my mom after one of my classes and just being so excited while telling her about all the new friends I made. If I had one piece of advice to give myself as a high school senior I would tell myself to just relax and enjoy the last little bit of high school before venturing out into a more grown-up world where many people aren't nearly as scary as I thought; many people are amazingly friendly after all.

Before college I was so scared about the tests and projects and papters. All of my fears were put aside after my first test though. As long as I do all the assigned work I get a decent grade in my classes. However, if I do more than just what's required, then I get great grades in college!

My school provides a variety of majors and opportunities for the students. The teachers help you progress as you further in your education and are there everytime you need them. As oppose to hundreds of students in the classrooms, theres only a few handful that the teacher is able to focus on, and sometimes able to focus on for one on one sessions to further help you understand the lectures.

If I could go back in time, I would tell myself that I should of picked up better studying habits. I know how to study but back in high school I never really had to study as much as i do now, and sometimes it always takes me hours to study just for one class, back in high school it only took me about an hour to study for a couple of classes and I was done and on to do my own social thing. I just wished that I would of spent more time on my school books then anything else because it would of helped me in college now as oppose to staying up all night and cramming for my next test.

The worst thing about my school would have to be that since it is a community college, i pretty much know everyone here, i would prefer to transfer out somewhere else and meet a whole variety of new people.

Virginia Western Community College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.