Roanoke, VA
Virginia Western Community College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Virginia Western Community College

My school provides a variety of majors and opportunities for the students. The teachers help you progress as you further in your education and are there everytime you need them. As oppose to hundreds of students in the classrooms, theres only a few handful that the teacher is able to focus on, and sometimes able to focus on for one on one sessions to further help you understand the lectures.

If I could go back in time, I would tell myself that I should of picked up better studying habits. I know how to study but back in high school I never really had to study as much as i do now, and sometimes it always takes me hours to study just for one class, back in high school it only took me about an hour to study for a couple of classes and I was done and on to do my own social thing. I just wished that I would of spent more time on my school books then anything else because it would of helped me in college now as oppose to staying up all night and cramming for my next test.

The worst thing about my school would have to be that since it is a community college, i pretty much know everyone here, i would prefer to transfer out somewhere else and meet a whole variety of new people.

Meghan

Make your choices on whats best for you. Listen to your heart and head. Have fun but remember your priority is to learn. Take time to laugh and hang with friends. But always remember the priority.

Melissa

I love Virginia Western and I will miss it so much. I have moved on to another university, but will always think of Western as my first college experience. The teachers are phenomenal, you could not ask for a better education. They are all very intelligent and challenge their student's. Virginia Western also has one of the most beautifully maintained campuses I have ever seen. My favorite thing to do was to eat lunch with a friend in the garden, or meet up in the lounge area watch some tv and drink coffee. It is a fantastic school that is totally student orientated and they do an amazing job making the place as comfortable as possible for everyone.

My favorite thing about attending a community college is the diversity of age you will see. Generally at a 4 year university a majority of the people will be your same age, but at Western there are people of all ages. It really lends a interesting blend to the classes. People of all ages and races often leads to a more well rounded discussion and many different views on many different subjects. Not only is it diverse, but the diversity is what pulls us together. Most student I encountered were proud they were students at Western and loved the school as much as I did. We are from all over the place, from all kinds of backgrounds and situations, but at Virginia Western we are all proud to be students.

The naked truth: I loved Virginia Western. It was my home for two years (I did practically live on campus). There were more then a few times I caught up on a nap on a sofa in the bridge. It is a fantastic school and one of the best decisions I feel I have ever made. I met so many cool people, of all ages, in my classes and just around campus. Everyone was friendly and helpful and I believe that is because we all shared the same goal: to make a better life for ourselves. Although I have moved on to another university, Virginia Western will always be my first college and some of the best memories of my time in college were spent there.

That is totally false! If anything, we take our education more seriously! The stigma attached to community colleges is fading away as more and more students realize what a great idea it is to attend a cheaper college for two years. Many Western students have families, jobs and other responsibilities that make it difficult to attend a 4 year university right away, but that doesn't stop us! We take our education just as seriously as any other student because we too want to succeed.

I really loved all my professors at Western. Some people might expect to see lesser qualified professors working at a community college, but this is just not true. The class sizes are relatively small, my largest class being 40 people. This makes the class much more personal because your professors will learn your names and you become closer that way. The classes were so challenging, all of them. But the work load is evenly balanced and the professors are SO helpful. I never had a class at Western in the two years I attended where a professor was not available for help outside of class. In fact, most teachers insist you make appointments for extra help. They want you to pass, but they will make you work for it. I feel like I got a top notch education and learned a lot from my professors and class mates.

For a community college, Virginia Western always seemed to have something going on for everyone. Often there were banquets, club meetings, and theater productions happening at the same time. There is always something going on for everyone. I really liked that because it kept options open. Western is a great place to meet lots of cool, new people.

I believe one stereotype about Western students are we do not take our education as seriously as other students who choose to go to a 4 year university either right out of high school or later in life.

Andy

Affordable. Gives you time to decide what you want to do with your life as far as a career or if you want to transfer to a four year school.

A little bit of everybody. Kids out of high-school; senior citizens; single mothers; people coming back for second career; adults continuing their education.

Overall, I had a wonderful experience here. The only bad thing is the attitude that other people have toward this school because it is a community college.

Classes are small – no more than thirty people. I worked a full time and part-time job and managed to take full-time classes between distance learning/hybrid classes and weekend classes. Multiple sections of classes you need are offered so that they can fit into your schedule. Most of the professors were pretty understanding; they understand that you have other responsibilities.

There are activities – we have a basketball team and cheerleading team and a journal club for science students. There is plenty of stuff to do if you want to get involved, but you don’t feel alienated if you don’t want to get involved.

Continuation of high school; not a “real” college because it is a community college; classes are easy; you don’t have to work as hard

Virginia Western Community College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.