Volunteer State Community College Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Volunteer State Community College

Cassidy

Volunteer State Community College is a great school for first year college students. It offers a real life college scene to get you ready to transfer to another college or just to graduate. It is also really good since it is a community college, it is more budget friendly.

Marleny

So far, this is my second semester at Vol State and I absolutely love it! The classes are not that large so it's more of a cozy environment. Though I, myself am the few that prefer to stay to my own, the other students I have come across are extremely nice. There is 0 judgement at the campus. The environment overall is just great!

Avery

A lot of people talk down on Volunteer State Community College, but these are the same people that don't take advantage of what this great institution has to offer. I have not had a bad day at Volunteer State Community College. Although there are not the same amount of extracurricular activities that may by present at a 4-year university, there are plenty of ways to propel your education and get more involved in the community. It all comes down to one's desire to pursue a great education, and all the tools are present at this institution. I would definitely recommend this school to someone who wants to save large amounts of money, and at the same time, receive an equally as good education.

Rebekah

Volunteer State is a quality campus that is close to home. The professors are attentive to their students and very willing to help students succeed. This is a great college to begin your higher education journey or return to the classroom. The student population is surprisingly diverse with students from various walks of life, which provides an enriched learning experience. I highly recommend this college.

Me'Sean

I think it is a decent school. I would just like to see more activities going on around the school. Also I would like to see more sports played on the college level other than softball, baseball, and basketball. I would also like to see more clubs where you are able to build stuff or even clubs based on your majors.

Ambeer

In the grand scheme of things, attending a community college is what you make of it. It truly just depends if it was your choice to attend, or if you are being forced by your parents. I think Vol State is a rather old school with a few buildings that you can tell so. I will say though, that they are trying to improve the campus. I do not like how there is not greek life, but I must say, that even if there was, I would be embarrassed to join a sorority at a junior college. The food is good, however I have only ate it once, and it was just french fries. If it had been my choice to attend this school, perhaps I would have more respect for it, but if you are looking for the full college experience, I would not recommend Volunteer State Community College for you, because it is high school 2.0. It is not nearly anything special.

Lourdes

Volunteer State has been a great college to be at so far. It has a great environment and lovely atmosphere. The faculty here are amazing, they know when to help and how to help you in any situation. The professors are very lovely, they help you with your assignments and are very helpful when it comes to personal issues.

Jacie

I really like the small campus and small classrooms. It was a really easy transition to make from high school to VSCC. It's always super clean and the food it pretty good. It's not abnormal to see a dub-step mini concert in the court yard on a random Tuesday.

Abigail

It is a good place to get your prerequisite classes out of the way so you can transfer. I think for the money and time, Vol State is a good school. Do not attend if you're only going so you can party. This is an off campus college and there are little to no parties on campus. We have decent student services. There are math tutors and computer labs. We have student clubs and sports teams. I am pleased with my time there.

Anna

The town is not a college town, therefore living accommodations are limited. Professors are usually present and helpful. Athletics not exceptional for the area. Campus safely is good. Not tons of young life activities happening.

Kaleigh

I have only been here for a semester, but I have met many great people and have learned so much already. I am not currently in any of the clubs or organizations on campus, but there are many of them who are very active in the community! Volunteer State many not be the largest or most well-known college in America, but it is a great place to begin college life. The professors genuinely care about what they teach and whether or not they get their points across effectively, and I respect that.

Kristofer

I enjoyed my experience at Volunteer State Community College, and I look forward to completing my final semester. The instructors I've had were all friendly and helpful, and there are frequent activities to participate in. The cafeteria has good food. It feels a little overpriced, but isn't unreasonable.

ABDI

I think Volunteer State Community College is big a first step for kids who aren’t ready for a university, Volunteer State will get you ready for a University or your career. Everyone at Volunteer State are kind, students are always willing to make friends, campus is very safe & Professor and Staffs are always there ti help.

Kody

It doesn't have much to it, it is a community college so not much is really going on except for the older ladies searching for an extra associates degree. Campus is small and most classes are done online rather than on campus. But Campus in Springfield is in good condition.

Sara

I love Volunteer State! I've had almost a dozen professors so far, and only one of them didn't know me by name. There are many resources to help students succeed, like access to a librarian 24/7, multiple computer labs, tutoring for every subject, and a center specifically for English papers. The classes are rigorous, and I always end the semester feeling as though I've learned a lot.

Cyrah

Volunteer State Community College has a well groomed, lovely campus, with a regrettably low graduation rate!

Azlynn

While Driving by Volunteer State Community College myself and my mother decided to do a quick day trip tour of the school. As we pulled into the main campus in Gallatin , TN the parking lot could use a little attention and the spaces are quite limited so this tells me I really need to get to the school early if I need a space close to entrance of the buildings. The School does offer off site classes and online availability. First and foremost I wanted to see if there was housing I could attend and stay on the college grounds . I was a little disappointed to find there is no housing since it is a community college and a smaller campus but to my surprise there is affordable housing within 5 miles of the campus. The students here are the ones who gave most of the information and it was most accurate and most helpful because they seem to right on the money with all information provided. While wandering around the campus the folks here are pleasantly happy and helpful , several students gave showed us around. They showed how much the students mean to Volunteer State because the school has open a food program called The Feed. The Feed is food program for students on the campus who may require help with food while at (Vol State) the nick name for Volunteer State Community College . The student can come whenever and all they need is student ID and The Feed is operational on all campus sites. Volunteer State doe snot have meal plan for students so you will need to prepare for eating off campus or bringing a lunch. While wandering around my eyes caught notice of the building and facilities the school has to offer. For a two year college it was quite nice. The school is very clean and update . The buildings are somewhat close together and labeled clear so you will know what direction you are going or where to locate what you are looking for. The library is fairly large and had all resource you may need to hit the books right down to the good ole internet and copy paper. The class sizes are smaller and for me that gives me the feel of one on one attention from professors. Extracurricular Activities seem to be everywhere here. Your eyes will catch flyers and poster of all kinds of events and clubs to join here at the school. The events seem to meet a lot off campus at the nearby shops and food venues that Gallatin, TN has to offer per the flyers and posters. The city of Gallatin has all kinds of great food to grub on from high end venues down to your mom and pops meat and three. I also seen where they meet at the shopping venues at Rivergate Mall and Hendersonville out door shopping. Both locations are located with 15 miles of the school. What can be better than great food and shopping all with in you reach of your college experience? Except the academics the school has to offer. One of the poster we seen was a list of academics and there was plenty , Dental Assisting , X-ray Tech, EMS , and continuing education was just a few names that was listed. I do believe this will be my two college that I plan to attend just because of the warm welcoming smiles not only from students but from some of the staff we spoke with. The staff that spoke with us and asked if we needed any information or direction was amazing as well. They gave us full attention and welcomed us like we were a part of the family already. My overall rating of the school is this the place to be. The school has the small town feel but a big enough city to offer your first college experience if you are planning to live off campus. The warm welcoming feeling and one on one small class rooms if you are up for that then this is your kind of place. I would recommend that anyone planning to attend do a tour and see for yourself. I do not think you will be disappointed.

Joy

It is a great college! I will never regret going there! I have learned a lot while attending and still have a lot more that I will learn there. The atmosphere is great! I used to be so afraid of college but my first day there I realized that it was a fun, at the same time, great learning experience!

Mantle

I think it's pretty okay. It feels a lot like high school, there's just more freedom to bend your schooling around your life. There are also a lot more people focused on their education than there were in high school, which I think creates a more enjoyable environment.

Isabelle

I am currently a part of the Middle College program at Vol State which is a program where high school students enroll full time at college. We gain both high school and college credits and have the ability to graduate high school with an associates degree. Overall the school has great facilities and new technology which is free and available to all students.

Shelby

The campus is a great place and easy to get around. The classes I have taken have been wonderful and I can't complain. I wish more students that live within a certain distance was offered in-state tuition or there out of state tuition policy was a little different as it is very difficult and stressful to handle. Other than that the very few times I have been to campus it has been enjoyable and they offer a variety of things.

Amy

Volunteer State Community College is a place where I feel accepted, respected, but most importantly, educated. All the classes I have taken are and will be of great use for my future education and career. The entire faculty are very kind and have helped me even if I had a minor question. My professors have always been accessible to make meetings with and to stay in contact with. After my first year at Volunteer State Community College, I have learned a lot about the school and the amazing opportunities it offers. They have many clubs open to the students. As a result of joining one this year, I became President of the Civitan Club. There are many resources on campus to help students with their work, such as the Writing Center in the library. All the times I have been there, I have been assisted with help and the faculty who help are always kind and patient. Apart from active clubs and opportunities, the campus itself is beautiful and easy to figure out. I have enjoyed my first year at Volunteer State Community College and am looking forward to my second year!

Shaquita

It's a great starter and transition school for non-traditional students. I like that I can receive my associates with all the knowledge and resources I need to move on to a four year institution to achieve a higher degree in my major. I would recommend this school to anyone that wants or have to do school at a slower pace.

Aleise

As I am finishing up my first and going back to get my second associate's degree, I feel that this is a very great college to get an education. The professors all hold themselves up to an incredible standard and there is help almost always available within the library at their Learning Commons. The school is very pleasant to meet up with friends or to even just relax on a bench outside.

Katlin

I was reluctant on attending Volunteer State Community College. Why? Well, because their graduation rate is only 23%, and even for a two-year community college, that seemed very low to me. I was grateful enough to receive the Tennessee Promise, which gave me two free years of college, and Volunteer State Community College was the closest college to me that accepted the Tennessee Promise, so, reluctantly, I attended Volunteer State. After two years of my time there, this is what I have to say: You will have amazing professors, and professors that do not care at all, but you'll find professors like this everywhere, not just at a community college. Secondly, the amazing professors are truly amazing. They genuinely care about your college experience, and will do anything to make the next two years of your life the best they can be. Also, if you have the opportunity to attend a study abroad program... do it!! Volunteer State has one of the best (and affordable) study abroad programs there is. The professors are so sweet and caring, and it is an experience you will hold on to for the rest of your life. The menu does not change much, but the food is always fresh and hot. They are also constantly renovating campus, and they make it beautiful!

Lily

Volunteer State Community College is overall, a nice college. I attend for free with the TN Promise Scholarship. I love that I can attend well tought classes with interesting conversations for free. Since it is a community college, there is no on, or off campus, housing. Most students still live with their parents, and if they don't, they live in the apartments five minutes from the school. The food isn't that good. Its fried food with rarely any healthy options. If you want a healthy option, go off campus. Panera Bread is 15 minutes down the road. Speaking of which, Vol State is nestled next to a Publix, a Mexican restaurant, some oriental dining establishes, and a lot of fast food. You will never go hungry if you don't like the food on campus. This is only my second semester so, I haven't experienced Vol State much yet. I can say that most of the professors are really nice and they will help you with anything. I love my professors this semester. They are awesome. I totally recommend Vol State Community College if you aren't ready to transfer to a university.