Wagner College

« See more reviews of Wagner College

Start visiting early and often. If you are unsure of what you want, then pick a diverse place with a lot of options. If you need small classes, you may need a smaller school. Dorms, dining and location are key but don't forget the number one reason you are going to school: to earn a degree. So make sure that in addition to the comforts and social aspects of school, you are going to get a good education. College is ridiculously expensive, and if you are going to be coming out of it in a lot of debt (like I and so many others will be), then you want to make sure you are not wasting your time and money. Have fun, make friends and memories to last a lifetime, and get your degree- Those are the three biggest goals for college education. And don't worry if you pick the wrong school the first time- you can always transfer (if you do, try to do it sooner rather than later). Remember, these are some of the best years of your life, so don't sweat the small stuff, and have fun.

The most traumatic memory in my life was watching my late grandfather die of prostate cancer. He died at home because he couldn't afford treatment at a real hospital. There was a male nurse who lived in the neighborhood took care of my grandfather gratuitously until his last breathe. It was the generosity and nurturing nature of this man which stuck me and it motivated me to give back. I used to do volunteering work for an organization called Hope For Kids many years ago. We would go to specific neighborhoods and speak to families about the important benefits of immunization. I was also able to organize blood drives for the Red Cross. I also had the privilege of working with Lenscrafters and we would make brand new corrective eyeglasses for families in need. These experiences allowed me to become aware of my desire to work with people one on one. If I was to go back to high school then I would make sure that I would guide myself towards preparing for a career in nursing.

I would tell myself as a senior that when you get to college; attend as much stuff in orientation as possible. Go out on your dorm floor and be social. Introduce yourself to people; there is nothing to lose. College is the time you make some of your life long friends, and this is when you need good friends the most. I would also tell myself to study hard. You are in college to get an education first, and have fun later. There will always be time for fun later in life, but there won't always be time to get a good college education. Don't get caught up in the college drama either. Everything is temporary and will blow over eventually. And the last thing I would tell myself, as a senior is to just be strong. Stand up for yourself and what you believe in. If most people don't like it there will always be someone else out there who agrees with you, and he/she will be your friend no matter what happens. Also, I would advise myself to improve my organizational skills by a lot.

If I were to talk to myself with the knowledge that I have now, I would tell myself to actually pay attention in high school and that it really does matter, and to reach out to every available resource that I have and utilize it. I never did A work in high school but I don't belive that I pushed myself either because I didn't think that it mattered, but if I were to get into a routine and build better study habits and was able to better prepare myself, I think that would have helped me in the long run, instead of having to teach myself study methods now as a junior in college. I think I would also tell a senior to take advantage of the time they have in high school because they tell us that we should put in 3 hours to every classroom hour of studying which is a lot, and in order to succeed you really need to do that or something close to that and in high school that typically is not the case. So take advantage of the time you have to hang out with friends and family.

"People will come in and out of your life but your true friends will always be there." This is the advice I would give myself because I am personally very trust worthy. I believed that when I first got to school the friends I made the first month there would be my life long friends, however that is not true. People will come in and out of your life but the most important thing is to know who you are. I have always thought college was exactly what one would see in movies but that is not necessarily true either. College is a good thing and a bad. It is good because you fianlly get the freedom you have always wanted. It is bad because you now are responsible for your life and your actions. It is a hard adjustment not having someone to fall back on and it takes some adjusting but it is possible. I have learned that you have to learn how to trust yourself to know that you will make the right choice. You need to learn how to start relying on yourself and not your parents.

Don't be afraid . I feel that the undergraduate experience is the chance to have an adventure and learn about who you are . I found myself in New York despite the fact that I am from a small town in Virginia. It opened my eyes to what this world has to offer. This is the best time to take a chance. If you have the opportunity to study abroad , then see another part of the world. I was very lucky at Wagner because of the Expanding Your Horizons program. I was able to take a class on HIV/AIDS and Politics In Kenya, and stay in Kenya. We recieved a grant and started a soup kitchen in the highly infected province of Gataka. Being able to help those wonderful families was the best thing that ever happened to me. I took a chance when I went so far away from home and then I got the opportunity to travel even farther away to a differnt country and help others. My advice is to take chances, learn from your mistakes and always appreciate your blessings. Good Luck!

I'd tell myself to be prepared for the unexpected. College life is about spontaneity, living life in the moment and getting the most out of everything you do. I'd tell myself that you will always have a support group, between your peers and professors, everyone is always willing to lend a helping hand. However, the most important thing I would tell myself is that college is nothing like high school - the workload is about a hundred times more than it was in high school, even with AP and Honors classes. There are many papers to write, exercises to do, books to read, and scholarships to apply for. The key to getting through this is self-motivation and time management, as if you can motivate yourself to read books, write papers, and apply for scholarships with enough time to reserve for relaxation, you will be able to accomplish anything you set your mind to, something that will go with you for the rest of your life.

Going back to my senior year in high school, advice that I would give myself about transitioning to college life would include being myself. I would tell myself to stay true to who I am and not worry about how I will be percieved by my new classmates. I would not worry nearly as much about fitting in because on a diverse campus, there will always be people that you can be comfortable with. I would also be much less anxious about new experiences. Between leaving home, meeting new people and living in a new state, there have been a lot of changes in the first few weeks of college. All of these experiences have been positive and I am growing and thriving in my new world. I am not afraid to call home and talk with my family. It is important to me to remain connected. I might have wanted to remember that when I was thinking about the changes I would be experienceing during my last year of high shcool.

If I could time travel, I would tell myself as a high school senior to not stress about college life. I would also tell myself to introduce myself to everyone that I meet on campus during orientation. I should not be afraid or timid to meet new people. In fact, Freshmen Orientation is the best time to make new friends. I would remind myself to study hard but not too much. I should make sure to have time to have some fun with my new friends during the weekends. I would advise myself not to be afraid of my professors and to go to them for help during their office hours in order to get to know them better. I would tell myself to join clubs that I am interested in and to take advantage of every academic, leadership, and volunteer opportunity that is offered to me. Finally, I would remind myself to check and read my e-mail everyday and to keep in touch with my family and high school friends.

College isn't at all what you would expect Chelsey. To get your full experience you have to get involved. The resourses and technology that will be accessable to you will be very benefical so USE it. Studying hard and being dedicated to getting a better education is what will get you throuh college. You HAVE to want to be there, just always remember this will be paying off in your future. Oh and college is alot of fun too, get involved in the athletics they will help you stay focused and dedicated because you don't want to let your team down, being uneligible for the championship game wouldn't be a crowd pleaser that's for sure. College school work is a lot more challenging and time consuming so make sure you set a side a few hours a day to get your homework done and just power through it. Well chelsey I know you'll do great just keep focused, go to class and enjoy your experience.