Wagner College

« See more reviews of Wagner College

Finding the right college can be such a daunting task. However, it really is the most enjoyable time. You have all these schools that accept you and you ultimately get to decide which one is perfect for you. My advice is to go with your gut and go with where you feel you will be most at home. Do not let anyone else make your decision for you. It is your education and your life. DO what is right for you and what is in your heart. College really is what you make it. GET INVOLVED. There will always be clubs/organizations on any campus. JOIN THEM. Find something you're passionate about and become a part of it. If there's nothing you feel that's for you, then CREATE YOUR OWN CLUB. These are the best four years of your life. Make them count. Laugh often. Live it up. Be a role-model for your school. Be compassionate and put yourself out on a limb. It will be rewarding and worth it.

If given the opportunity to talk to the high school senior I was, my main message to myself would be not to sell yourself short. As I look back on my life, I can often recall instances when I could have tried something but did not. This was because I doubted my abilities and did not truly believe in myself. I often thought that I was not smart enough or good enough, and in turn missed out on many opportunities. As I begin to rely more on my own abilities as an adult, I realize that I have held myself back from many things in life. For this reason, I would tell my former self to strive for every opportunity that presents itself because they may never come again and to never doubt his own abilities for he is capable of greatness.

GO VISIT THE CAMPUS!!! I cannot stress that enough. I made a horrible mistake and picked my colleges without visiting them. I mainly picked Wagner College because it was situated in New York City instead of my boring old home state of Texas. Plus the student needs to figure out his/her social needs. Some people like to explore and go to a big college, whiler others like the sanctity and security of a smaller school. Basing a school off of its Professors and workload is a waste of time, no matter what there will always be horrible teachers and classes. Professors come dime a dozen, and nothing matters as long as the student does his/her share of the work effectively and precisely.

First of all, I would advise myself to know who I am before heading off to college. Much of the drama and life decisions could be handled a lot better if I was more sure of myself going into them. Also, I would caution myself to not be judgmental, but to also not be afraid to get ot know people. There is such a diversity here that I am not used to, and it would have been nice to be warned about that before plunging into this new life. I would also tell myself to just have fun, let go sometimes and not worry or over-plan. College is the time to make mistakes and figure out what I actually want to do with my life, so it's completely alright to not be perfect.

If I could go back and advise myself as a high school senior, I would remind myself to pick a school that reflects the woman I hope to become. Picking a college will be one of the most important decissions you make in life and cannot be taken lightly. Be mindful to choose a place where you can grow, a place you will be openly accepted and find other men an women with whom you will share ideas. You never want a day to come when you will dread going back to school. Keep an open mind, and inspect all of your choices. Throw your fear to the wind, for these are the best days of your life.

I think the most important decision you have to make about finding a college is whether or not you want to go far away or stay home. I had chosen to go away and applied to schools that were hours away from my home. However, when it came time to decide where I was going, I decided to stay within 30 minutes of my house. I live on campus but I am still grateful that I choose to stay close to home. It was difficult adjusting to the lifestyle, which made me appreciate because within close proximity to my family and friends, who could help during such a rough time.

It is very important to find a college that you can actually learn while being there, well thats why we go to college in the first place. It is rough now with the economy but if a college makes the difference that you will succeed, its ok to spend a little more and try to get scholarships and loans because it will pay off at the end. I know many people think the college experience should be fun but we also have to be responsible and get a better understanding of life, because college most of the time its the door into life.

I would advise myself to not second-guess who I am. Many of my freshman issues focused around me not being confident in who I am and what I believe in. I would tell myself not to be afraid of having different ideas than others, because eventually I will find people who agree with me and support me. Basically, believe that I am doing the right thing, that I have made the right decision, that I have made the right place. If I trusted in that, then the rest will take care of itself.

In the search for the right college, keep several things in mind. The location of the college, class size and internship opportunities are important things to consider. Also keep in mind if you want to attend a college with a big sports program and a lot of school spirit, since that makes the college experience much different. Get involved in as many things as possible. You can always leave activities that you do not enjoy, but make sure to give everything a try!

The best advice I can give is to make sure you visit the college you wish to attend. Take a tour of the school, given by a student currently attending so you can ask as many questions as you like. Be sure to ask any questions that you may have and do not hold back. If you are attending a school undecided, like most college freshman are make sure you look into a school that offers a wide variety of majors so you will have many options.