Winston-Salem, NC
Wake Forest University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Wake Forest University

Sonja

Change is a process not many people believe a person is capable of after a certain age, but I can certainly attest that attending Wake Forest has led me to become a more independent, considerate, and informed individual than I was upon graduation from high school. During my time thus far, I have experienced a wide variety of activities and cultural influences that I might not have experienced at a smaller college, and have developed meaningful relationships with my classmates and professors, which I feel might not have been as easily done at a larger university. My time at Wake Forest has helped me fine tune my academic, job, and social skills. It has also helped me analyze who I am and develop the skills I need to be the person I wish to become. While it is academicaly challenging, and sometimes stressful, it is worth it for all the knowledge I have gained.

The lack of socio-economic diversity is often quite unnerving to those who are of families from lower- income brackets, particularly those who are well aware of their family's situation. However, I find that the requirement to live on- campus for the first two years of attendence it far more detrimental to a student's mental and academic well- being.

The amount of volunteer work done by students, as well as faculty, and how much pleasure they gain from it. I also mention the high ranking of the university, and the quality of courses offered. The professors are also extremely available, engaging, involved, and genuinely interested in their students and their well- being.

margaret

Wake Forest is an academically rigorous school with small class sizes and a beautiful campus. The University encourages students to think analytically and also to take our education to the next level by studying abroad.

I have gotten more direction as to where I want to go with my life after college. I have also gained valuable insight into myself through both my classes and the college atmosphere.

The student-teacher relationships are an upside. Because the classes are hard it's important that all the professors have office hours and are very approachable for outside help and conversation.

Wake Forest University is best known for its Calloway School of Business, which was recently ranked in the top twenty for undergraduate business schools in Amercan, according to Business Weekly. Furthermore, Wake is known for producing graduates with an extremely high work ethic and discniplinary skills. Wake Forest truly lives up to its nickname "Work Forest".

I have received great satisfaction from my college experience. As a member of Greek life, I receive all of the benefits of the social scene at Wake Forest. However, being an extremely academic-driven school, I have also learned to balance my studies with my extracurriculars. I believe that this skill of balancing different aspects of my life will really help me in future situations, especially once I enter the working world.

As stated previous, Wake Forest University requires its students to have an extremely high work ethic and a sense of discipline. The work load at this university is very heavy; however, students also need to learn to balance their activities. Almost all Wake Forest students are involved in some sort of social group, athletic activity, leadership role, or any other program that Wake offers. So prospective students should possess qualities that would make it easy for them to participate in extracurriculars alongside their academia.

Adwoa

One of the best academic challenges you will encounter

One of the best academic challenges you will encounter

I knew coming into undergrad that I would be challenged by the intimate setting and academic challenges of my university. I also knew that that was exactly what I needed to grow. College is not about finding what is easy. It is a unique time to discover yourself, your passions, your goals, and be surrounded with people who share common interests and aspirations. Something that I learned during school that I still draw on to this day is not to be afraid of looking dumb. Often times we are our own biggest threat to growth. Fear of how others will perceive us holds us back. Those who are willing to look ?dumb? learn the most by being open with others and themselves. It is ok not to know all the answers. My time in school showed me that it is better to be the most real version of yourself than a second rate imitation of someone else.

Alice

Though college is one of the best times in a person's life, the transition into college can often be difficult. After a semester at Wake Forest University, I've come to realize that the most important thing to do is to be fearless. Especially in a new setting, it can be difficult to reach out to people, whether they be peers or professors. However, the only way to bridge that gap is to put all reservations behind you and just approach people. I met my best friend at school simply by going up to her and asking what language she spoke, and if I had only done that sooner, I would have spent less time feeling lonely. It it also important make connections with professors because those alliances can result in unique opportunities. As a science major, it is my utmost wish to be able to do research with a professor. Last semester, I regret not being courageous enough to approach professors about such possibilities, but this semester, I am working hard to change those circumstances. For, it is only the bold and the fearless who are able to truly follow their dreams and acheive their goals.

I wish I had known that Wake Forest has two little stores, similar to those at gas stations, that are both open late every day of the week. Using their student IDs, students can not only buy a variety of snacks such as cold sandwhiches, microwavable dishes, and simple "munchies," but also general items, such as paper plates and cups, kitchen appliances, trashbags, and bathroom materials. If I had known this prior to coming to school, I would have been able to save room in my luggage for other items since I could buy them at school anyways.

The only real problem that I have found at Wake Forest so far has been the state of the cafeteria, otherwise known as "The Pit." Despite a growing student population, Wake Forest still only has one cafeteria. One cafeteria for a couple thousand students. During the busiest hours, such as 11 am-12 pm and 6-7 pm, it can be almost impossible to not only get food, but to also find a seat. Students often have to wait in long lines for food and wander about the Pit, looking for somewhere to sit, sometimes turning meals into frustrating escapades.

Joshua

Wake Forest is a stimulating institution which combines vast educational opportunities with a comfortable small-school settin...

Wake Forest is a stimulating institution which combines vast educational opportunities with a comfortable small-school setting.

First of all, I would tell myself to take some more AP classes in order to get a head start on credits heading into my freshman year of college. I would also tell myself to take the AP Macroeconomics test as well as the AP Microeconomics test instead of only taking the AP Micro test, because Wake Forest requires both in order to receive credit. However, credits aside, I would have much to tell my younger self. Being a naturally shy and reserved person around people I do not know, I would tell myself to be as friendly and personable as I can during the beginning of the year. Meeting as many people as possible and fostering positive relationships is crucial to a successful collegiate experience. I would also tell myself to be prepared to open my mind to new ideas and many different types of people. The culture shock was tough for me at first but I was able to eventually acclimate myself to life at Wake Forest. In terms of academics, I would tell myself to be prepared to work harder than I ever have before and always ask for help when needed.

The best thing about my school is the sense of community that it provides. It is rare for an institution with such extensive academic opportunities to incorporate a personalable style of education such as the one at Wake Forest. We have a small campus which allows everyone to feel comfortable, and all of our classes are taught by brilliant professors that truly care about their student's educations. Instead of leaving home and feeling out of place, I have been able to travel away from New Hampshire and find my second home at Wake Forest.

Wake is an academically demanding school which forces you to learn how to balance your time. Students learn about themselves and discover that they have multiple interests and skill. Wake seeks to help students accomplish their goals and to dream big, offering scholarships for research and study abroad.

Wake wasn't my first choice because I was nervous about the social life. There are many sororities, and I refused to join one. However, i have found many people who are not in greek life and we have an amazing time hanging out. Most of Wake students are wealthy. I am the only student I have met who is paying her way through college. However, despite my finances, I am a Wake student, I am smart and I belong there. Don't ever let money hold you back, it is your character which paves the way to your future.

As the daughter of a teenage single mother, I learned that all odds were against my attending college. My new college friends had older married parents who were paying the $200,000 for them to attend WFU, unlike me, paying my own way through. I am the first in my family to attend college, and so my family couldn?t help me with these new experiences. I learned what a sorority was, struggled with my classes, and attempted to understand the southern drawl of North Carolina. I questioned if I belonged at WFU. My first semester had many ups and downs, but I learned important lessons. First, never doubt myself. Money doesn?t make someone better or worse. I?m smart, despite my financial disparity, and I deserve to be at WFU. Second, stereotypes have no place in my world. I do not conform to the stereotype of having a teenage mother, of not having college-educated people in my life. I try to not allow stereotypes to skew my view of others either. Eleanor Roosevelt said it best, ?No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.? They are the words I have come to live by.

Jane

Calm down. This is only the beginning to a series of forks you will encounter in the roads ahead. Take a deep breath. Forget the notion that you have to go to college in order to succeed in life. Instead, think about why you really want to go to college. What is it that you value? How do you want to enrich your life? Breathe. Your next steps will be on your own. As frightening as that may sound, there is no need to worry since you will have all the resources you need to cushion those nasty falls you will surely take. Contrary to what you've learned sometimes strangers are there to help. Be sure to learn from the many mistake you will make, since these are the lessons that will last your lifetime. Realize that like you everyone else is becoming independent, so while becoming independent together may be comfortable and fun, your series of forks will be different from their forks. Be open to new ideas and personalities. Use but don't abuse your youth. Most importantly, learn to trust your gut . It will serve you well, especially when people are giving you advice.

I wish I had known more about the social activities and culture, such as what students tend to do on weekends. I also wished I had a better sense of the general attitudes of students toward the school and what academic areas students are most likely to study. I also wished I had known about interesting and original opportunities that students are able to participate in.

The students do not seem to be engaged in their learning and grade seem to be their only interest. At times it seems like they are "Stepford Students" who are afraid to show what they are interested in, have the same programmed interests as the majority of the student population, or are simply too busy working and filling their schedules with what looks good on resumes to succeed post graduation. Students are open minded only after they have calculated the potential benefits of a situation.

Tim

Wake Forest combines a greart on campus social and academic environment, but lacks the necessary connections and involvement with Winston-Salem, missing an opportunity to become an amazing university.

My classmates are all from different parts of the country and world,but for the most part feel very similar in many important aspects.

If I were decide my criteria for college, I would look for more interaction with the community--I want the typical college town. I didn't realize how isolated one could feel on a campus, and I originally thought it would be nice to be far from home. Winston Salem and Wake Forest have no interaction and, honestly, neither really does Wake. The people here are awesome, and the classes are taught by knowledge and good people, but I don't know anything that goes on outside of Wake. On Friday nights, the only things going on happen on campus...there isn't a cool resturant or arcade in the town. I want the ability to walk downtown and grab a bite to eat, an experience that is impossible at Wake, considering the campus is surrounded by four-way highways. I suppose this oversight happened because I didn't stay overnight, and I merely visited during the day. Everything looks great during the day, and you honestly get caught up in excitement. Wake certainly has the "wow" factor when you walk through the campus, but if I were to understand the dynamics of the university, I would have attended another.

Wake Forest University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.