Winston-Salem, NC
Wake Forest University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Wake Forest University

Tim

Wake Forest combines a greart on campus social and academic environment, but lacks the necessary connections and involvement with Winston-Salem, missing an opportunity to become an amazing university.

My classmates are all from different parts of the country and world,but for the most part feel very similar in many important aspects.

If I were decide my criteria for college, I would look for more interaction with the community--I want the typical college town. I didn't realize how isolated one could feel on a campus, and I originally thought it would be nice to be far from home. Winston Salem and Wake Forest have no interaction and, honestly, neither really does Wake. The people here are awesome, and the classes are taught by knowledge and good people, but I don't know anything that goes on outside of Wake. On Friday nights, the only things going on happen on campus...there isn't a cool resturant or arcade in the town. I want the ability to walk downtown and grab a bite to eat, an experience that is impossible at Wake, considering the campus is surrounded by four-way highways. I suppose this oversight happened because I didn't stay overnight, and I merely visited during the day. Everything looks great during the day, and you honestly get caught up in excitement. Wake certainly has the "wow" factor when you walk through the campus, but if I were to understand the dynamics of the university, I would have attended another.

Toni

I would tell myself, as a high school senior, to think more carefully about which college to attend. When I was making my decision about which college to attend, I did not spend enough time considering the financial aspects of college. The main thing that I was concerned with was the school's reputation; I wanted bragging rights and to be able to say that I went to a nationally recognized school. Also, I would tell my past self no to doubt her abilities, academic or social. I was so worried that I would not be on the same level as my college peers academically or socially, which caused me a lot of stress and anxiety. However, here at college, I have found that I was not accepted to Wake Forest by mistake--the admissions committee must have seen something special within me. I have succeeded academically and socially here at Wake Forest, something that I never thought that I could achieve. The last thing I would tell myself would be to appreciate your parents, because they will be the two people, among others, to support my every decision and choice, no matter how outlandish, wishful, or spontaneous they are.

I wish I had known that the campus was not as diverse as it could be. The diversity is getting better, but it's still very low. Also, I wish I would have known that some upperclassmen housing was not as good as the freshmen housing. Also, I wish I would have known that the food here was not as good as the school made it seem.

The lack of diversity and the excessive cost of the school are the worst things. For having to spend so much money, the food and housing are both mediocre at best.

Alex

Someone who doesnt have a strong work ethic

Be ready to work exponentially harder than you did all through high school. Be sure to be outgoing and meet as many people as possible because in college and in the real world its a lot more of who you know than what you know. The connections you make in college are the ones that will help you all throughout your life. You are given a lot more freedom both academically and socially which is great but could be very detrimental to you if you abuse it. College is the greatest four years of your life so enoy yourself and have as much fun as you can but always keep in mind that your academics absolutely come first because once you graduate, it is your academics that will get you a great job not all the parties you attended.

Catherine

I went into college with no expectations about the people, I just wanted to figure out where I would fit and who my friends would be. Even though my school is generally very conservative and has a checkered past with any type of minority students, whether it regards race/ethnicity or sexual orientation, there is always a place for someone at the school. Since we are such a small community, there is never a day that a person will go without as least one person who cares about them. Also, a great positive of thsi school is that all of the professors here want to see you succeed. Working hard in your courses only helps you, because if you don't understand something, professors are more than happy to work with you and explain everything to you. Our classes are extremely small, with my largest class being 45 students, and my professors always had names down by the end of the first full week of classes. Wake is a great environment to flourish academically and socially. There is always something going on and students are generally always happy.

If you aren't the type that is self motivated, Wake Forest, aka Work Forest, will be extremely difficult for you. This is not the school where you go just to waste some time and some of your parents' money. Most of the people at this school have career and life goals, everyone from the football players to the sorority girls. We have dreams and realize that working hard here will help them come true. Eventually, all of the hard work will pay off with a rewarding career of your choice.

Lack of diversity on campus: People are extremely set in their ways or very conservative in their beliefs and sometimes the idea of a different POV is unfathomable to them, which is extremely sad since we are a liberal arts univserity.

The lack of diversity, the suburbanity of it

The lack of diversity, the suburbanity of it

Overly liberal, overly artistic (hipster as it were)

Don't just settle on which place feels right because in most cases, you'll be happy anywhere. When you're beginning the college search process, the most rewarding thing you can do is try and map out what you want out of those four yeras. If you know what you want to major in then you can map out an academic plan, but if you don't, you can think more abstract and think in terms of environment. Either way, once that's established, visit some colleges and pick one that feels right and fits the original plan that you mapped out. You're going to make a lot of friends and have a lot of fun on the weekends and get a great education from almost anywhere, it's important that you remember what college means to you and which one is most consistent with your principles.

J.H.

When advising future college students and their parents, I would first tell them that personally visiting as many campuses as possible will aid you in finding your perfect match. Be willing to take time out of your high school life to go on college visits. This is the one and only true way you will get to know universities to make your decision. Once on campus, take a tour to get acquainted with the school, but then most importantly get to know the students. Talk to them, ask them what they like or dislike most about their school, where they go to have fun, or how the workload is. It is one thing to see what a university physcially looks like, but it is more important to get a true feel of the place through the students who actually live there. Once you have found your perfect "new home" dive right into the college life. Don't be afraid to take chances, join clubs that interest you, volunteer for a local organization, get involved in intermural sports, spend time with your friends, and most importantly make time for your academics. Afterall, that is the true reason you are there!

The registration process for classes. Since class sizes are small, many classes are in high demand. At times it is hard to get your ideal schedule.

I love my school. It is perfect for me in size, athletics, academics, and friends.

Elliot

Although predominantly wealthy, white, and Type A, Wake Forest students are a hardened group that can be a Weekend Warrior one day, and a Zen Master of Academic Focus the next. Achieving high standards of "play", my peers have achieved a higher sense of academic and career-driven accomplishment that accompanies a liberal arts education of such high caliber.

Wake Forest University, in my opinion, was the only school on my list that had the stereotype of the student population being rich, Southern, and conservative. However, it turned out to that the student body was much more diverse and accepting than I had originally believed. What makes Wake Forest unique is the fact my strong, pre-conceived opinion of the school changed so drastically over the course of the year, and I believe this is the only school where my opinion would have changed that much.

It goes without saying that the first year of college will always be one of the most emotional and impactful moments of your life. You learn, live, play, sleep, eat, and discover, all while enjoying an independent lifestyle. With these new experiences comes the inevitable ups and downs that you must face during that first year of college. It is because these are such life-changing events that you must choose an institution that bests suits you in all manners of being: academics, career-placement, extracurricular, and personal choices. Most importantly, you, as a student, must be able to completely visualize yourself at the place of learning. You must be able to see yourself in the classroom, walking the campus grounds, engaging in the occasional debauchery, and eating the terrible food. Most importantly, however, you must be able to be yourself. After all, this is what truly constitutes as a college experience. Now the parents may not want to see their chickadee(s) leave the nest, but this is an important step, so be supportive(!) and keep your wallets and your hearts open. Students, be: grateful for everything your parents have done (and will do), curious, bold, and laugh heartily.

William

An interesting and engaging group of individuals with whom I am able to connect and converse easily and enjoyably.

Upon graduation of high school, most students, whether they choose to admit it or not, become overwhelmed with one emotion more so than any others: fear. Sure many students are excited and exhilarated at the thought of a whole new myriad of opportunities, but it is almost impossible for one to enter college supremely confident of how they will adapt. For these students, I say that fear and trepidation is normal and nothing to worry about. However, as you will all come to realize, the old adage "You'll end up where you belong", proves itself true more often than not. Choosing a school is a careful process, and it is ultimately the student himself who makes the decision of which school is best suited to his needs. My freshman year, I joined the club rugby team, played tons of intramural sports, and was engaged very much in the Greek social scene. But those were just a few in a line of literally hundreds of opportunities offered by the school, and my best and most simple advice to those unsure of what to do would be to try new things. After all, isn't that what college is all about?

A driven, independent, spirited, fun , and mostly strong-willed person should attend Wake Forest University.

Terry

Wake is expensive, but it's worth it. Literally. You come out with a degree that people recognize as extremely hard to get relative to other schools around the world, which translates to greater post-grad opportunities. Winston-Salem is founded on tobacco money. RJ Reynolds is down the street, and the sweet smell of tobacco (not cigarette smoke, but actual tobacco) floats around campus on clear days to remind you where you are. Swimming in the RJ Reynolds fountain, though illegal, is a favorite pastime of graduating seniors. School pride comes and goes. I came the year Chris Paul (2005 NBA Rookie of the Year) had just left the basketball team and many students were disappointed with the lackluster performance of the basketball team. A noticeable disinterest in attending games was known, and pride in the school seemed to have slightly diminished. However, the football team ended up going to the Orange Bowl after having its best season in history, leading to a resurgence in school pride (that would ultimately collapse until the 2008 basketball season when WFU reached #1 in the country for a few days).

Christians and non-believers are what seem to stick out the most to me. Kids go to church, but they also come from upper-class backgrounds that might exhibit a correlation with church-going. Students in Greek organizations interact mostly within their own realm, though the parties are open to anyone and friends are always there to be made regardless of background. Race doesn't seem to be an issue - the past two (or three?) student body presidents have been African-American, and the current Pres is the absolute man who actually cares what students think. Conservatism is probably the most prominent political leaning, while there are plenty of folks with open minds and differing political ideologies. Half my professors hint at their liberal, even socialistic beliefs, while the other half stick to their conservative, free-market guns (can you tell I study economics?)

The stereotype of "White Forest," though, is being openly acknowledged, and each class has become more and more diverse. From my experience, there are tons of northerners (Jerseyans in particular) that contrast interestingly enough with the slow-talking, deep-fried southerners. Some kids come from the west, a few from outside the US, but the students seem mostly to come from the east coast. There's even a couple kids from Rhode Island. Go figure. And, though generally not the most racially integrated student body, people of all backgrounds mix and mingle just fine. The "Work Forest" stereotype is as true as you want it to be. There are certainly ways of making it hard on yourself, say, by maintaining the same aspirations of graduating at the top of your class that you had in high school. Things are different here. There are so many great minds at Wake that standing out requires a particular creativity, not just making the grades.

Academics? Tough. But not impossible. It's how I imagine it to be at most top-tier schools. Wake continually 1-ups itself in academic significance - the Dean's List requirements were raised my junior year to make sure the students have to work harder to earn such distinctions. Students are competitive and will leave you in the dust. But it's rarely a personal matter. Good minds inspire others, so being surrounded by a diligent student population causes the one-time slacker to often evolve into a hard-working success story. The size of the school is important. An average of about 16 students per class means high personal interaction with the professors. I even helped a professor edit a book she had published, and having dinner with professors isn't far-fetched by any stretch of the imagination. They love to help, and they most often have the ability to help because they only have to deal with 16 kids per class and not 200.

Wake kids party, and there is always something to do. I'll put it this way: as a freshman, I wandered around the outskirts of campus with a pack of similarly-clueless freshman in search of a party. When knocking on a random door and greeted by a couple seniors, we asked if they were having a party. They said "Well, there's no party, but we can change that." And thus one of the most memorable (or, more appropriately, least memorable) ragers of a party had started. The point is that students loves to kick back and see how long it takes before passing out. During exams week? Well, it's time to make up for the procrastinating you did all semester and actually study - for most people. There is a decent downtown area, though it is fairly small and limited to a dozen or so watering holes. A new campus shuttle program takes student downtown (a 4 or 5 mile trek) from Thursday - Saturday and from 8:00 p.m. to 3:00 a.m. thanks to that awesome student body president I mentioned earlier. Sports are big, too. Tailgate at football games and then party afterward. Adorn yourself in that hideous tie-dye and cheer at the basketball games for the streaky yet high-quality basketball team. And the soccer team won the national championship in 2007. Sports are big.

People in recent history loved to label Wake Forest students as a bunch of rich white kids, many of whom will actually strive towards academic achievement. Wake is also known for its heavy course load and rigid academic standards. However, the work-hard/ play-hard mentality is alive and well; studying for many kids is usually post-ceded by binge drinking (and preceded for the Pi Phi's), as having a good time is the only way to take a load off whenever things get tough.

Wake Forest University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.