Winston-Salem, NC
Wake Forest University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Wake Forest University

Wade

Wake is a great size, not too big, not too small. Very good reputation with employers. Winston-Salem sucks, but Wake is it's own little bubble. Beautiful campus. Fun social life if you go Greek. Division I sports. Main complaint of students is the grade deflation and massive amounts of work.

Very homogeneous campus. White, upper middle class, preppy, smart.

Bad grade deflation, but very good reputation makes up for bad GPA. Classes are nicely sized. Good professors. Lots of group projects and teamwork. Students are not very competitive.

Social life is entirely centered around fraternities and sororities. Parties every Wednesday, Friday, Saturday, some Thursdays (maybe Mondays).

Preppy, homogeneous, wealthy, smart. Wake Forest = Work Forest.

Kyle

I think Wake is perfect...for a particular person. Many students here enjoy Wake Forest VERY much and I am definitely one of those persons. I really enjoy the workload/social balance that can definitely be a part of your Wake Forest experience. There is also a lot of school pride on campus. Many are very willing to talk about their different experiences on campus and are satisfied with the things they have learned when they leave the campus. I really encourage you though to take a good look at the student body make up as well as the different activities (which are so many) of which you can be a part. Wake is again a GREAT place for many people, but it also isn't for everyone.

The Wake academic experience is one of only a few in America. You are taught by really great teachers who are experts in their fields of study. I have also always felt comfortable in approaching my professors. The student:teacher ratio of 11:1 is also very attractive for a particular student. I am very happy with my academic experience here at Wake Forest and it has definitely equipped me for the different opportunities I will undertake after graduation.

We work and play hard. I think this is the biggest one. And to be honest, it is pretty true. We have a great time here and the social environment is absolutely great. It's not for everyone but it fits many who come here very well. You will also obtain a great education at Wake Forest. I highly recommend it for a social person who also is willing to learn.

Mary

Not entirely, but there is an affluence to the campus that is not common in many schools. I think we have a lack of diversity, and most kids are pretty driven, but not always smart.

Preppy, Snotty, Rich, Smart, White

Hanna

Wake is a very good school that many people outside of North Carolina have never heard of. Appearance and reputation are very important to the administration. It is small but it still has the components of a larger school, such as Division 1 athletics and good job placement.

Upon appearance, the student body at Wake seems very homogeneous. The general stereotypes of wealthy, caucasian, and conservative apply to many students at Wake. While there is only some ethnic and cultural diversity, the students at Wake are involved in activities that range over all ends of the spectrum, from the arts to athletics.

They are somewhat accurate in that most Wake students fall into these categories, but the stereotypes have a negative connotation that I don't think is true of all Wake students.

Almost all of the classes are small, less than 20 students. Students spend a large amount of time studying, but I don't find that they are extremely competitive. I think certain majors are more geared toward getting a job, like Business, but then there are the humanities where learning for its own sake is highly valued. Wake's emphasis on a liberal arts education is very important; as students, we enjoy the benefits of a well-known school (in the working environment) as well as a solid background on a variety of issues that we normally wouldn't encounter in a large public school.

Greek life is very prominent on campus. Most parties are hosted at fraternity houses, and a large number of women are involved in sororities. While this is the case, it is not necessary to be part of greek life in order to enjoy certain aspects of it. Anyone can go to frat parties, and many students have friends in different greek organizations, or ones who are not affiliated with any. I met all of my closest friends on my freshman residence hall, and all of them are in different sororities than I am. Everyone I know leaves their doors open and welcomes visitors.

Preppy, wealthy, athletic, smart, skinny, conservative, no diversity

Alexandra

I absolutely love Wake. It is the perfect match for me; the size, the academic level of difficulty, sports, etc. For the most part, people react in a positive way when I tell them I go to Wake. They seem impressed that I was able to get in and keep up with the academic rigor as well as the steep tuition. Winston-Salem is by no means a "college town," but the Wake community does seem to rule. Often times we forget that other people live in Winston-Salem other than Wake students. Some of the biggest recent controversies include increasing next years' class size, faculty apartments, and parking. Parking definitely is the largest concern for students. Difficultly finding parking spaces on campus and the strictness of the parking enforcement are the students' most frequent complaints. One experience I will always remember about Wake is when the football team won the ACC Championship in 2006 and went to the Orange Bowl.

Somewhat. There definitely are these types of people at Wake, but there are more Northerners that you would expect, and they are not as preppy as you think.

Very challenging - where your best has not been good enough since 1834. Absolutely no one wants a "B." Everyone is out to get "As" - and they all can - everyone is very very bright at Wake. But they work hard for it. No one really goes out during the week, only on Wednesdays. It is not unusual for students to stay in one weekend night and do work.

That the students are white, upper-middle class, Southerners. The girls are "Daddy's girls" and the boys are "Frat-stars"

As previously mentioned, most students at Wake come from a higher socio-economic class. What students wear to class varies, it is very mixed. For the most part, students do try to look nice, even if it just wearing jeans and a nice top. Students do wear t-shirts, especially for certain events. Overall, the apparel tends to be somewhat preppy and definitely high end. The four tables of students would probably be Athletes, Independents, Fraternity/Sorority and I'm not sure what the other table would be. These four different types of students do interact on many levels. Everyone may tend to keep to their own group, but they by no means exclude each other. I would say that many students are politically aware/active. I would assume that most students are conservative, but have found more and more liberal students.

I would say for the most part, this is rather true. However, there are a bunch of Northerners here; and they fit about the same profile. As I have spent more time at Wake I have found more and more people who do not fit this stereotype. So, they are here, you just have to look for them.

While students have other activities around campus, academics are obviously the main focus of all students. For the most part, professors do know my name. Even in my Introduction to Economics class, with about 50-60 students (which is HUGE for Wake), my professor knows my name. I would say that on average, students study almost every day. This is not like a large state university where you can go out every night of the week. Students mostly only go out on weekends or Wednesday nights. Classes, for the most part, are not optional. Almost every teacher has an attendance policy that expects students to be there on a regular basis. Wake students know this and rarely miss class. Class participation is very very very common. Almost every teacher has a percentage of the grade allocated to class participation. Wake students are very competitive. It is just the nature of people here. Even if students are not in the same classes, many students will compete with each other to have a high GPA.

The Greek scene is HUGE at Wake. If you are able to find a group outside of a sorority/fraternity, good for you, but good luck. The dating scene at Wake is just that, a dating scene. Not many people have random hookups, and if they do, they turn into regular hookups which leads to them dating.

One of the main stereotypes about Wake students is that they are a bunch of white, upper-middle class, Southern, frat stars/daddy's girls.

Claire

The best thing about Wake is the size. It's big enough so that you can always meet new people but small enough so you don't get lost in a sea of faces. Greek life helps people have a smaller family-type relationship with a sub-group of campus. I am from Connecticut so when I tell people I go to Wake they often want to know where it is and then are surprised that I went so far to go to school. I spend most of my time on campus in class or in Benson. A big controversy on campus is juicycampus.com which is a superficial and cruel website used to spread ridiculous gossip about people. One experience I will always remember will be living on my sorority halls sophomore year because it was where I developed my strongest friendships and it provided the best support system I've ever had. The most frequent student complaints are probably about how expensive things are, how bad the computers are, and how gross the food in the Pit is.

Black students are overwhelmingly athletes, and other minorities are very underrepresented. My father is Cuban but I am white by appearance. I applied to Wake as a white student but was still automatically given a tutor my freshmen year until I explained that I had gotten in on my own and intended to succeed on my own. Students tend to wear nice clothing to class, and if students are in sweats it is usually because they just worked out or plan on working out after class. Wake students are predominantly from upper-class families.

Parking is awful, we should not have to pay to print in the library, Subway should be part of the meal plan

Not entirely but they do describe a very large portion of the student body

Professors know their students. My favorite class was my First Year Seminar because my professor was the most intriguing person I've ever met and made everyone interested in the topic. Students tend to study in large chunks because the social scene is still so apparent. Students are very competitive, both socially and academically. I think the education at Wake is geared toward learning more than getting a job, at least in the liberal arts school, but I also think students are able to take that knowledge and apply it to jobs to be successful after graduation

Greek life is very big on Wake's campus. I'm involved in Chi Omega and it has helped keep me well-rounded as far as providing me with social, academic, and service opportunities as well as helping me find my best friends. Athletic events are especially popular when the team is good. Football is popular because students like to tailgate and men's soccer is popular because they are typically very good. People seem to be "hooking up" or "together" more often than they date with titles but as students get older they tend to have serious relationships. People party as much as 4 nights a week and often during the day when the weather gets nice. Last weekend I went to a frat party one night and a date function at the same fraternity the following night.

Preppy, rich, white, over-achievers, homogeneous

Margo

One thing I'd change would be the relationship with the administration. Wake students are very intelligent and have ideas that can actually benefit Wake as a whole. However these ideas cannot be implemented if Wake students don't listen to the administration and work with them to help ensure the students ideas are fulfilled.

Wake could be more diverse but is getting there. Though racially it may not be as diverse, politically and religiously it is making an effort.

though many students are wealthy not all are wake is more diverse than people think

Small classes, very intimate but very very hard. B's are definitely do-able but A's are very rare.

students are very preppy and rich students are still being paid for by their parents students are ignorant to the world outside of Wake's walls students are very religious

Corinne

I love the school size as it is, but think its terrible Wake is increasing enrollment. It undermines the motto of the school which is "Small in size, big in resources." The current administration doesn't seem to take student opinion into account, but rather is purely doing what will bring in more money.

The student body is very homogeneous. People who are artsy or extremely counter-culture may have a hard time fitting in.

Most people probably fit one or two of these stereotypes. Some, none.

Students are not competitive but rather have a "we're all in it together" mentality. Helping classmates study for tests or giving them notes they missed is a common practice. The library is absolutely packed during midterms and finals. Students take work very seriously but also take partying very seriously. Professors are generally very approachable and care about the students. Many classes incorporate student discussions and participation is encouraged, not seen as "uncool" but other students.

Fraternities and sororities dominate the social scene. Student body is divided into 3 groups: Greeks, athletes, and GDIs.

rich, arrogant, preppy, Republican, conservative, snobby, intelligent, ambitious

Claire

I had a really hard time deciding where I wanted to go to college. I had no clue about size or location or what I wanted to study, but Wake was definately the perfect choice for me. Greek life is present but not overwhelming. It is very easy to become close to your teachers as opposed to being a face in the crowd. We do not always win in athletics but our school spirit is very fun and exciting. I have also realized that Wake is looked highly upon by the public. I knew that it was a well-known school for academic standards and such, but I have received more compliments on my school choice then I had anticipated. It is the perfect size for me. I am always meeting new people, but I can find friendly faces in the crowd when I walk from class to class. The campus and seasons are beautiful!

The student body is not the most diverse when being compared to some schools, but you can definitely find a club, sport, sorority/fraterinity, religious, among many other, group to identify with. People are predominately wealthy here, but there is a percentage of students on financial aid (and you CANNOT spot them in a crowd)! I think that generally most students could find somewhere they feel at home here!

These stereotypes are definately not accurate. Although there is a large population from the south and many people are pretty, it is definately not everyone. I feel that student's that come here can find a great group that they will identify with.

I have loved the academic world at Wake. I feel very close to my teachers and have felt very comfortable seeking them out for help. Students are pretty competitive and it is an acadmically stimulating campus. I have had my share of classes and professors that I don't like; however, this happens on EVERY campus! Student's do study a lot and the library is hot spot, but we also know how to let loose and have a good time. I used to think that I wanted to come into a curriculum picking and choosing exactly what I wanted, but the liberal arts education allows you to experiment with a core curriculum. In other words, you can take a bunch of classes that you may not have initially been interested in and find a potential major. I've really enjoyed some classes that I've taken even if it was just to fulfill a requirement. I definitely think that a Wake education will get you far in the job world. People are often impressed by a Wake diploma!

Wake is not a dry campus and the party scene is predominately at fraternity or sorority social events. There are some bars in the town which upper classmen frequently go to, but otherwise students (greek and independent) hit the frat party scene. Althletic events (mostly football) are very popular and well attended. People usually party Friday and Saturday night and on Wednesday nights during the week (refered to as Wake Wednesdays).

People often stereotype Wake students as all the same and extremely preppy. People believe that everyone here is from the south and there is no diversity present.

Leslie

The size of Wake is great because you frequently see people you know but are also always meeting new people.

It may not be diverse ethically, but people are very different from one another concerning where they come from and what their beliefs are.

Generally--yes, but not true for all students

Classes are difficult. You may work hard for merely a C in a class. Professors make themselves readily available outside of class if you need help.

It's mostly that you are either an athlete or involved in Greek life.

Students are very preppy and rich.

Wake Forest University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.