Winston-Salem, NC
Wake Forest University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Wake Forest University

Becky

I love that Wake is a small school because it really makes me feel like part of a community. If he school grew in number significantly, it would not have the same atmosphere. When I tell people I go to Wake, they are usually impressed by the academic standing of the school. I spend most of my time on campus in my dorm. Winston-Salem is not a college town and most students stay inside the "Wake bubble" all year, which I think can make some people forget about the outside world and world matters that are more important than campus gossip. I think there is school pride, but not enough to go to free campus events that Student Union organizes. Most students do not take advantage of fun things on campus. The most frequent student complaints are about the poor food quality at the Pit, the plan to make Wake a larger university and the odd hours of operation at school stores and Benson.

Most students are Wake are rich, white, southern and conservative. There is not much diversity on campus and those that are different are not necessarily accepted with open arms. Most students dress up for class. Many girls wear dresses and skirts to class and football games, while the boys wear button up shirts and ties. The student population is very preppy and very similar.

I've had a great experience at Wake, and I think that it is a wonderful institution, but the Wake community does not reflect the values or status of the country as a whole and is not a good representation of the real world by any means.

Stereotypes at Wake are overall inaccurate, but there are those that represent them well. Students generally focus on those that adhere to the stereotypes rather than the majority that do not. In my personal opinion, however, I do believe that a good number of the students are campus are spoiled and are more concerned with status than with more important matters.

My professors do know me by name. My favorite class is Spanish 319 because it is a small class and the professor works hard, which makes the students work hard. My least favorite is Computer Science because it is hard to stay awake. Class participation is not very common in most of my classes, even though the professors encourage it. Wake students have intellectual conversations outside of class on occasion, but usually conversations consist of gossip and personal stories. Some students are more competitive than others, but on the whole, students are not highly competitive among each other. I do not spend time with my professors outside of class, although they are willing to. The education at Wake is geared both to getting a job and learning. The divisional requirements are a good way to learn a variety of disciplines and provide a good base for any student.

Fraternities and sororities are the most popular organizations on campus. Some students leave their doors open in the dorm, but I know of multiple students who have had valuables stolen from their rooms. Football games are popular, but most other sporting events are not. Guest speakers and theater tend not to be very popular, even though there are many interesting speakers brought to campus. I met my closest friends in my dorm. People usually party every Wednesday, Friday and Saturday night.

Wake students are stereotyped as rich, southern white kids who are spoiled, status-driven and, at times, racist. The campus is very fratty and there is sometimes hostility between greeks and non-greeks. Overall, the greek organization is a wonderful component of the community, but there are some that take it to a different level. Each frat and sorority have very distinct stereotypes. Some sororities are type casted as sluts, rich bitches, dorks, losers, alcoholics and crazy whores. Some fraternities are considered to be racist, losers, gay or sketchy.

Allison

Wake is a really good school all around. We have top-notch classes and professors with small class sizes. You can easily reach your teachers through email or during their office hours and most of them know you by name. Winston-Salem isn't really a college town but there is a pretty good mall, a couple movie theaters, and a lot of restaurants. The Greek life is the highlight of Wake as almost every night,especially Wednesdays and the weekends, there is a frat party to go to or a sorority function or fund raiser.

Wake is fairly homogeneous as far as the student body goes. Most of the minorities tend to stick together in their own teams, sororities, etc. There isn't any tension, the groups just tend not to associate with each other. Anyone overweight would probably feel out of place at Wake. Many students do dress well, but just as many wear hoodies and sweatpants regularly.

I LOVE WAKE! While the work is hard, it is a genuinely fun, happy place.

The stereotypes are somewhat accurate. A lot of students at Wake are very preppy and many are wealthy. However, there is also a large faction of students that are here on scholarship and do not have money, or, even if they do, do not flaunt it. Many students here are very skinny and attractive but not all.

All of my professors know my name and remember my work. I can easily reach them all by email or go to their office during their office hours. I have honestly enjoyed the majority of my classes and found them interesting, even at 8 A.M. The work is hard, we have the nickname "Work Forest" but if you stay on top of your schedule and manage your time you will do fine.

Greek organizations are very popular. I love my sorority! Joining Delta Zeta has been one of the best choices I have made during my time at Wake. Greek life in general is very welcoming and open and it is a good way to meet new people. All the frat parties are open but you have to be invited to sorority functions. Wednesdays are a big night for people to go out to parties but some students still choose to stay in and catch up on school work.

A lot of people think that Wake students are overly preppy and very skinny or in shape. They also think we are all rich and snobby and don't really care about wasting almost $50,000 of our parents money on school.

Wake is a great school. I feel like its the perfect size. You are going to see at least a few people you know every time you walk to class. Its not so small that it feels smothering and you only see the same people. As a college town Winston-Salem is mediocre. The school has been buying out the college bars, which makes it a little more difficult to enjoy the bar scene, but there are tons of good restaurants, in addition to a nice movie theater, etc. Like I mentioned earlier, Wake is buying up a lot of the college bars, which does not make the administration too popular with the students. President Hatch used to be the Chaplain at Notre Dame and he has some pretty outdated notions about drinking and Greek Life. However, despite the administration, Wake is still a really great school, and a person can really have a fantastic college experience here.

Wake is a somewhat homogeneous university, there is no way to deny that. Students are generally white, preppy and in the Greek system. Alternative lifestyles do stick out like a sore thumb here. Girls generally dress up for class, and a scrubby day consists of jeans, a sorority T-shirt, and pearls. Guys wear a lot of polo shirts. The athletes are their own little group, separate from those is the Greek system. Students at Wake come to school to get a good education, in hopes of having a high earning potential. If you want to join the Peace Corps after graduation, you may want to re-evaluate attending Wake Forest.

Wake is a great school, but like any college experience, it is what you make of it. Choose your university wisely and you will have a great time. Just be forewarned, Wake is not for everyone.

In many cases, yes, the stereotype is accurate. However, you can find people from all backgrounds and races at Wake Forest. You just have to look a little harder to find them.

Academics at Wake are difficult. Do not come to Wake Forest if you don't expect to study your ass off. Certain majors are more difficult than others, however, so take a variety of classes before settling on a major. Wake has a broad spectrum of divisionals it requires, so be prepared for that. Wake Students are big on participation in class, especially in smaller classes. Students are competitive, so be prepared. Essentially, if you do not enjoy reading, studying and homework, Wake may not be a great choice for you.

If there is one word to describe wake social life, it would have to be: GREEK. If you are dead set against joining a Greek organization, or have a problem with Greek like, you may not want to come to Wake. Most parties are thrown by the fraternities, and the majority of the girls who attend them are in sororities. Being Greek gives you an identity at Wake. It gives you a place to party, and a group of friends to do it with. It when I say party, i mean binge drink. Wake students have a work hard, play harder mentality. As far as sober Saturday night fun? Well...I wouldn't know what that is. You would have to ask someone who lived in Johnson, the sober dorm, freshman year

Wake students are generally known as white, preppy, and wealthy.

Tara

The best thing about what is the professors. They are willing to go out of their way to help you with anything--coming up wiht paper topics, helping you find sources (even for other classes), even suggestions for careers. Also, the internet is really reliable, strong, and consistantly available all over campus. I wish we had other social activities available besides Greek-related events. I also wish the meal plans/food and the dorms were better. Both completely suck. I like the size, but some think it's too small. I just think it's nice to know such a huge percentage of the student population. When I tell people I go to wake, about 1/2 say they've never heard of it. Another 1/4 say something about our sports and how we used to be good but they have been disappointed in us recently. Another 1/4 comment on how good the academics are reputed to be. On campus, I spend most of my time in my room or in the library studying. At leat 6 hours a night, Id say.

The campus is really homogeneous. I wouldnt say people are unaccepting of different groups, but there is not a lot of intermingling, and I would think that anyone of a minority race, lower social class, uncommon religion, or LGBT sexuality would find it difficult to feel accepted. Students tend to dress well at all times (even to 8 am classes!) I do love that students at Wake are from all over the country. My best friends are from Florida, Maryland, Chicago, Vermont, Indiana, and Ohio--quite the mix. I think students at least try to be politically aware, but it's a little hard sometimes with insane amounts of homework to keep up with the news. I would guess that most students here are conservative/republican politically, but since I don't hang out with closed-minded people, most of my friends are democrats.

While the academics here are fantastic, the career services SUCK. They focus strictly on business--there is NO help available to you if you are any other major. Do not expect help--you won't get any.

My life IS studying. Last semester, I went out ONCE and did 30-40 hours of homework every weekend (seems impossible, I know, but just you wait!). So be prepared to be willing to give up weekend activities at times and fun, because even though your friends will go out, you will not always be able to. I'm sure there are people that slack more than me though, and you are welcome to be one of them. Class participation is not only common but pretty much required to get a good grafe. First year seminars are unique classes that are required freshman year (or the first year here for transfer students). They are on a variety of subjects, and professors go to a huge effort to make them fun and interesting, not just educational. They are writing, reading, and discussion intensive. I am a political science major (and English major, but let's focus on the poli sci part), and I LOVE IT and would recommend it to anyone. While I have not spent time wiht any of my professors outside of class, I have heard of professors asking classes to dinner at their houses to have a study session before a test. The professors are great, and I am pretty much in love with my major.

People at Wake do not date. They hook up. Sometimes people hook up exclusively--then they become boyfriend and girlfriend. Dating doesn't happen. I met my closest friends through my freshman hall and my sorority. Greek life is pretty much key at Wake. I know a lot of people who didnt get into a frat or sorority feel excluded since so much of what goes on is Greek-related. Off campus, the options of what to do are slowly diminishing. Wake has been buying out some local bars, and now there are 2-3 options that are close... otherwise you have to go (Far away) to downtown to have your fun.

Upper Class, sometimes snotty Not accepting of people with different backgrounds (social, ethnic, racial, religious, etc). Couldn't get into Duke Southern (like sweet tea, crocs, pearls, etc). Wake is also known as "Work Forest"

Katie

Size is great because you can know a decent portion of the school but you still see people on a daily basis that you have never seen before. School is hard, they don't call it "Work Forest" for nothing, but it really just comes down to actually doing what you need to do. If you do your work, there is really no reason that a person can't handle it. My biggest problem with Wake is the money problems the school has been having because our endowment is so small. Well if this is true, then the school needs to stop with the random other programs. Example: a daycare for students' and teachers' kids would be great, yes, but we have survived this long without it and we have bigger fish to fry.

Wake definitely has a majority of white, upper-middle class students. However, that by no means that the school lacks diversity. I think I may have written an admissions essay on this, but diversity in my opinion is diversity of points of view. Personally, I have had the opportunity to travel extensively in Europe and have been to a few countries in Central and South America. Because of this, I have a different world view than other people who may not have traveled out of their home town.

they have a base in accuracy but are exaggerated

As I said, school is hard and there is a lot of work, but college is all about balance. However you choose to do it, just be sure that at the end of the day you did what you had to do. I work well with schedules. I like to plan how long things will take me and figure out the day so I can do what I need to and still have fun.

Wake has a great social and activities calendar! There is always something going on whether it is a party of some kind with a fraternity or sorority, or a forum on some issue facing students today. I would say that greek life is definitely important on campus just because of the sheer numbers of students who choose to be greek, but it is by no means overpowering. I have many friends who are and many who aren't greek, so it doesn't define the student body here.

Rich, stuck up/snobby, not very diverse

Wake is amazing because of its combination of big school (research opportunities, Div. I sports) and little school opportunities (smaller classes taught by professors, not TAs). Sometimes the small school aspect is limiting when it comes to picking classes, as some are only offered once a year. I can't imagine going anywhere larger though, where I would be a number, because I wouldn't think that the motivation to get work done would be as great as it is here. People are usually impressed when they hear that I go to Wake, because they've heard the name, but also tend to ask me general questions (where is it? how many kids go there?) because they don't actually know much about the school itself. Socially, I hang around on campus or at fraternity parties mostly-- pledge drivers make transportation much safer since I don't have to worry about drunk drivers or waiting and paying for a cab. Winston-Salem really embraces Wake as one of its central attractions, but there definitely is enough to do off campus as well (arts district downtown, close distance to Greensboro/Charlotte/Chapel Hill/Raleigh/Durham). Wake's administration isn't dealing with registration times as well as any of us would like; the amount of divisionals we have to take also means that most of us are taking summer school, essentially paying for extra semesters of college. There is a lot of school pride-- most noticeable last year when we went to the Orange Bowl and this year when we beat Duke. Rolling the Quad and mudslidding are rites of passage for the ardent fan.

The student body is pretty homogeneous-- conservative, white kids from privileged backgrounds. Some kids are used to the instant gratification of a credit card, paid for by mom and dad. Most of us expect to enter back into the same social strata we came from after graduation. Students wear a wide variety of outfits to class-- sweats, leggings, oxfords, dresses, heels, flip flops-- it mostly depends on the weather and how much time they have when they wake up before class.

Professors definitely know my name, even in "large" lecture classes of 40. The academics are rigorous-- each professor assigns work as if you are only taking their class that semester. It was nice coming to Wake from a public high school, because I noticed that Wake students are able to bring what they read about and learn in the classroom to conversations and debates in their dorms. GPAs are competitive, mostly because each of us was at the top of our class in high school and suddenly had to work much harder to make lower grades. Wake definitely gears you towards a future-- for Calloway students, it's getting a 5-figure salary right out of college; for med students, it's having one of the highest acceptance rates into med schools; for everybody else, it's grad school.

Greek life is predominantly responsible for the social life on campus. I'm a Delta Zeta, which is the newest sorority on campus; we don't have a fixed image or stereotype yet because we don't have the history like the others do. I rarely lock my door in my dorm, but that's mostly because I live on the 4th floor and nobody ever walks all the way up here. Athletic events are popular for freshmen, thanks to Screamin' Demons. Football tailgates are the center of Saturday activities in the fall. There is a small dating scene here-- most people are more focused on finding either a steady hookup or a different guy each night. My closest friends lived on my floor last year-- most of them are guys who joined the same fraternity-- and I live in the same dorm as them this year also.

Stuck up rich kids, homogeneous, lots of work and deflated grades

Anna

Best thing= people are so curteous and polite and friendly. The size is perfect because everyday you will see someone you know but also meet new people. People don't really knw wake very well up north, where im from, but it is starting to become better recognized. I spend most of my time doing work, in benson university center, the gym, the quad, the library, my room, or the food places. There is a lot of school pride here- everyone is so school spirited, we all love the deacon and going to athletic events is awesome because everyone is there and everyone really cares about how well we do. Were also sometimes on espn!!

A lot of ppl here are white. People are also relatively conservative and more religious than in the north. I love it. PPL are reall friendly and cool.

Some. Greek life is really big on our campus, but it makes it more fun. There are always parties to go to, free alcohol, and fun people. For me greek life is awesome cuz ive made so many more friends through my sorority. The part about the money is not true. Many people do not have as much money as some others. I work for my money and my parents don't pay for any of my stuff except my actualy tuition. Some ppl can be snobby but others, like me, appreciate everything

Academcis are awesome. professors will know who you are if you are in a small class (many are under 20 ppl) or if you take time to visit the professor with questions. Everyone here is really smart and talk about intellectual topics such as politics or the administration, but also about social stuff. Students are pretty competitve but not to the point where it ruins friendships/makes you feel awkward. My major is HES and although i havent actually taken a class yet i know it will be awesme for physical therapy.

people often go off campus for night life. Either there are frat parties in their houses or at bars(where ppl can still drink easily) many times alcohol is free. There are also a lot of good places to eat. people leave their doors open a lot and i never feel bad going into ppls rooms to talk and hang out. A lot of times my friends and i wioll watch our fac shows in our rooms and on the weekend have awesome pregames either in our rooms singing songs.. or with out sororit.

People think everyone here is really snobby and that Greek life controls life. People also assume everyone here is wealthy and can by whatever they want with their rents money

Wake is just perfect. It is a small enough school that you recognize faces wherever you go but don't really run out of new people to meet either. It has a very homey feel and you know you'll always see someone you know out and about. Even though it's a small school it has the feel of a state school in the sense that there are excellent sports programs which are well supported by the student body. You're definitely not missing out on D1 sports by going to wake. The professors are so willing to help, and the student-faculty ratio is also perfect. You get to know people in your class as well as your professors if you make the effort. There's always something to do whether it's through student union or another club or organization of your choosing. It's also impressive to be able to say "I go to Wake." It's a renowned school with a great reputation!

There's so many different groups on campus, but overall, it is a less diverse school than say, a large state school. I think it is safe to say that most student and families are conservative, yet there is a large liberal population as well. Groups overlap all the time, so you don't see too many stereotypes of groups around campus...they all intermingle rather than form cliques.

I love wake, it really is a great fit...especially if you feel like you'd get lost in the shuffle at a big state school.

To a certain extent they are. Preppy is definitely a majority, but it's not overwhelmingly so. And of course there are those students more financially stable than others, but when it comes down to it more people are starving college students. And everyone is pretty smart, unless theyre trying not to be.

Classes are hard, for sure. The nickname work forest didn't just come out of no where. Compared to other schools, I would definitely say the work load is more, but keep in mind that it doesnt seem so overwhelming when everyone else around you has the same difficult course load. It isn't going to affect your social life too negatively as long as you learn to budget your time wisely. It's very manageable, and in the end worth the hard work. I'm a chemistry major, so I have an even more difficult load than other students and I still find time to go out nearly every weekend and watch movies or TV during the week. It's something you learn to balance eventually.

As far as the social life goes, I would say it is primarily Greek party wise. That could also be because me and most of my friends are involved in greek organizations, however. I know a ton of people in my dorm who choose to not attend parties or drink on the weekends and theres always something going on, whether its concerts in chapel hill or greensboro (or even downtown winston-salem) or student union and student government activities - like Shag on the Mag. You meet a ton of great people both at parties and on your dorm halls. Everyone is really social and you shouldn't have a problem finding a fit thats right for you.

before coming here I heard a lot of things about wake being extremely preppy and snobby - everyone coming from rich families. Of course I also heard everyone was extremely intelligent.

Meghan

I would change that the school is trying to hide that the social life is dominated by Greek life. I would also change that they are increasing enrollment by eighty students next year. I would hope that the school would start to supply transportation to football games that actually was worth taking. When I tell people I go to Wake they are amazed because it has a great reputation.

There is not an overwhelming feeling of diversity on campus but there is different people with different beliefs here. Those that would feel most comfortable would be preppy, smart, and outgoing people.

The school most definitely challenging. Some students are snobby.

Some professors work to get to know their students more than other. It is most often the smaller classes in which professors know the students' names. Wake Students study a lot and often have intelligent conversations outside of the classroom.

Greek Life here on campus is hands down the largest organization. We have other organizations such as service oriented to diversity oriented, but Greeks tend to rule the social scene and therefore many people join fraternities of sororities.

Rich and Snobby students. The School is academically challenging.

I think that it is too small, but I thought that when I chose to come here. I like that the school is focused on the students, and the undergraduate experience. I like the idea of the thinkpad program, but not the actual thinkpads Winston-Salem isn't a college town, there is no argument about that. The school is too small and the town is too big. On the bright side, the cities and the people of W-S and Wake Forest get along. I am from Michigan, so either the reaction when I say I go to Wake is "oh... where is that again...? don't they have a good basketball or football team or something?" or you can tell that have connections in the south, and it immediately clicks, and they are like "oh! really! wow! that is a good school. i never hear of people going there" I think that most of the "issues" on campus are all things that are issues at every school. "We want a bigger gym"- who doesn't. "the administration doesn't care"- you can't please 4000 people at the same time. etc.

Is very white, upper middle class, and from either New Jersey, North Carolina, Florida, or Texas. (you get the point.) Probably the two biggest surprises that I had when coming to wake were how much of a New England presence there is on campus, and then having to buy like 5 more sundresses. The school may be in the south, but beware: sometimes it seems like everyone is from Jersey (where they say "water" funny and don't pump their own gas.... as they will all tell you). Also, New Jersey is basically all white, so Wake is actually diverse for them, which is weird. Students are generally very politically apathetic, and come from conservative backgrounds.

It is small, good, and doesn't get enough recognition nationally. Most people that come here know what they are getting into. Definitely come visit! A lot of current students were not interested in Wake until they visited, often as a side trip when visiting Duke, and ending up finding it to be a perfect fit.

Students -yes, very true Schools -while the school is very greek, it is sort of like, since it is a big deal, it almost isn't as much of a big deal. since so many people are in the greek system, it is less cliqueish, and more like another club that you are in. -there aren't a lot of "easy A" classes, but at the same time, A's are possible in most classes. The work will be worth it.

You will have to study for every class, no matter how easy. If you talk to professors outside of class (like going to their office hours) they will definitely know your name. The smaller the class, and the more times it meets a week will increase the chances of the prof knowing you. Students are competitive with themselves, but not necessarily with other people. There isn't a lot of sharing your grades with other people for comparison. Divisionals are good and they are what makes wake a liberal arts school. If you don't like them, don't come here. During orientation, they said that "In order to be here now, you were probably pretty busy in high school." Very true statement. Most people were pretty smart cookies for their high schools.

Freshman halls bond with each other quite a bit. Frats and Sororities are bigger as you get past being a freshman. I really like that, although a lot of student's drink regularly, I feel like if you don't go out all the time, people don't really care and don't judge you for it. You could always find an event to do on a weekend that doesn't involve alcohol, but some would definitely be better than others. Joining clubs and stuff will help with that. Drugs are almost non-existent when you compare it the standard of other colleges. They make it pretty clear during orientation that if you are caught with weed or anything else, you will be in big trouble, whereas it can be possible to weasel your way out of an alcohol violation.

Students: -White, upper middle class, -Well rounded, motivated School: -cares about its students. -small, very greek -"Work Forest"

Wake Forest University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.