Winston-Salem, NC
Wake Forest University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Wake Forest University

I think that it is too small, but I thought that when I chose to come here. I like that the school is focused on the students, and the undergraduate experience. I like the idea of the thinkpad program, but not the actual thinkpads Winston-Salem isn't a college town, there is no argument about that. The school is too small and the town is too big. On the bright side, the cities and the people of W-S and Wake Forest get along. I am from Michigan, so either the reaction when I say I go to Wake is "oh... where is that again...? don't they have a good basketball or football team or something?" or you can tell that have connections in the south, and it immediately clicks, and they are like "oh! really! wow! that is a good school. i never hear of people going there" I think that most of the "issues" on campus are all things that are issues at every school. "We want a bigger gym"- who doesn't. "the administration doesn't care"- you can't please 4000 people at the same time. etc.

Is very white, upper middle class, and from either New Jersey, North Carolina, Florida, or Texas. (you get the point.) Probably the two biggest surprises that I had when coming to wake were how much of a New England presence there is on campus, and then having to buy like 5 more sundresses. The school may be in the south, but beware: sometimes it seems like everyone is from Jersey (where they say "water" funny and don't pump their own gas.... as they will all tell you). Also, New Jersey is basically all white, so Wake is actually diverse for them, which is weird. Students are generally very politically apathetic, and come from conservative backgrounds.

It is small, good, and doesn't get enough recognition nationally. Most people that come here know what they are getting into. Definitely come visit! A lot of current students were not interested in Wake until they visited, often as a side trip when visiting Duke, and ending up finding it to be a perfect fit.

Students -yes, very true Schools -while the school is very greek, it is sort of like, since it is a big deal, it almost isn't as much of a big deal. since so many people are in the greek system, it is less cliqueish, and more like another club that you are in. -there aren't a lot of "easy A" classes, but at the same time, A's are possible in most classes. The work will be worth it.

You will have to study for every class, no matter how easy. If you talk to professors outside of class (like going to their office hours) they will definitely know your name. The smaller the class, and the more times it meets a week will increase the chances of the prof knowing you. Students are competitive with themselves, but not necessarily with other people. There isn't a lot of sharing your grades with other people for comparison. Divisionals are good and they are what makes wake a liberal arts school. If you don't like them, don't come here. During orientation, they said that "In order to be here now, you were probably pretty busy in high school." Very true statement. Most people were pretty smart cookies for their high schools.

Freshman halls bond with each other quite a bit. Frats and Sororities are bigger as you get past being a freshman. I really like that, although a lot of student's drink regularly, I feel like if you don't go out all the time, people don't really care and don't judge you for it. You could always find an event to do on a weekend that doesn't involve alcohol, but some would definitely be better than others. Joining clubs and stuff will help with that. Drugs are almost non-existent when you compare it the standard of other colleges. They make it pretty clear during orientation that if you are caught with weed or anything else, you will be in big trouble, whereas it can be possible to weasel your way out of an alcohol violation.

Students: -White, upper middle class, -Well rounded, motivated School: -cares about its students. -small, very greek -"Work Forest"

Anna

We're a ridiculously Greek campus, I heartily enjoy it but you of course have to take it with a grain of salt, there are some people who throw themselves into this stuff WAY too hard.

Definitely racially segregated, anyone who says otherwise is delusional

Keep looking until you find a professor you LOVE, theyre important not only for recommandations but can help you pick a major and give you advice whenever. Go deacs!

The classes are ALL difficult, and we do have grade deflation. Evidenced by the fact that to make dean's list you have to have a 3.00 and there isnt a much larger percentage of kids on it here than there are at other schools where the requirement is higher. this is something to take into account if youre looking at going to grad schools becuase they do NOT take the difficulty of your school and the 'meaning' of your GPA into account like universities do for high schools

Either you hang out with atheletes or youre greek or you dont have a social life. also, we do party really hard, no one goes out unless theyre getting absolutely trashed

that we're all rich and white and brilliant.

Katie

Wake is great, it's small (sometimes I feel like I know too many people but there's always new people to meet). It has all the benefits of a small school with all the resources, and reputation and big sports teams of a larger school.

There's a lot of separation between student groups -athletes, greeks, independents etc. There's always been a certain northern vs. southern students mentality, and Wake even likes to pair freshman roommates north/south, but it's mostly all in good fun. Wake is conservative, but since there's plenty of young people you have a fair amount of liberals as well.

GO ABROAD. Many Wake students go in the fall, but there are still a lot of people who don't take the opportunity. I lived with a family who spoke little English, learned the language, traveled Europe cheaply and had the best semester of my life. My European friends are even coming here to stay with me. If you can't afford to go because of academics or otherwise, do a summer program. AND I think doing a program with another university and not living in a Wake house is the way to go... but that's just my opinion.

To some extent. There's not alot of diversity and alot of students like to dress up, but I have found that there are all kinds of people who fit in perfectly here.

My classes have been small and typically the professors know my name and notice if i'm not in class. I have has dinner and class at my professors house four different times. I am in the Calloway business school and grade deflation is terrible, classes are hard, but we will come out extremely well rounded. Our career services needs to work on our internship and job program however. We also start off with a ton of basic requirements that leaves little chance of double majoring easily.

Dating scene - not so hot, there are a lot of single people and there's a lot of random hookups. Greek life is big here, and a lot of the parties have been pushed off campus. Most of the fraternity make their pledges sober shuttle people to all their off campus parties. There are one or two over 18 bars *though one may be torn down in 2009* and once you are 21 there is a whole new scene in downtown Winston-Salem -it's nice to change it up halfway through college. Fall is football season which is amazing. Some students wear sundresses and bowties and some wear Wake gear but everybody has a great time tailgating. The year we won the ACC and went to the Orange Bowl (which it seems like everybody flew to Miami to see) was the most incredible season.

That all the students are rich, white and preppy.

Our school is the perfect size. The kids are smart and motivated. I always get positive reactions when I tell people I am a Wake student. Winston-Salem isn't a particularly amazing city, but going downtown on the weekends can be fun, especially if you are 21 and can go to bars. Wake has tons of school pride. The only things that can be said negatively are that the gym is too small and there isn't always enough parking.

Wake is a racially divided school, which is unfortunate. There are a lot of close-minded students, especially politically. The school is a very conservative one. Different types of students interact, but only if they put in the effort to do so. Athletes don't usually party with Greeks, etc.

Wake is a very "preppy" school, as many students came from wealthy areas of the country. For the most part, I'd day students dress nicely, and care about money. As far as Greek life goes, it is really big at Wake, so if you are anti-Greek life, Wake may not be the best choice for you.

Professors know my name, especially those who teach my major classes. Divisionals can be a pain, but the restrictions get less and less each year. "Work Forest" is not a joke -- we study hard but we also play hard. The business program is definitely geared towards getting a job, but I wouldn't say that as much for other majors.

Greek life is the center of social life at Wake, at least in my opinion. Many students don't lock their doors, and this is usually safe. Athletic events are more popular than guest speakers, and definitely more popular than theater, but this fluctuates. I met my closest friends freshman year and in my sorority pledge class. I eat off campus a lot, and go to bars downtown.

We are preppy and wealthy. We are a very Greek school.

Royce

Wake never seemed small to me until this year, Senior Year. I am officially ready to move on now but I think that's a good thing. I feel prepared for the real world. One thing I would change about Wake is its location. Winston-Salem is a strange city and not really geared towards college kids.

As I said before, Wake is not very diverse but the administration has been working hard to change that. As a white person, I have a ton of black friends but a lot of students here keep themselves racially segregated. The average student at Wake Forest is probably in the high middle class. It shows. People drive BMW's and don't think twice about it. Wake Forest is probably more conservative than most college campuses. However, the College Democrats are pretty vocal too.

From a surface level this appears true but once you look closer, there is diversity here.

Academics at Wake are amazing. Every professor learns everyone's name. The students here are the best and the brightest and we do discuss intellectual topics outside of class. However, Wake has definitely earned its name "Work Forest". Get ready to learn, but also get ready to work your ass off.

One thing you should know before coming to Wake is that Greek life dominates this school. If you are not going to be on a sports team or in a fraternity or sorority, life may be difficult for you. There are many independents who have a great social life here but they are on the periphery. Everything revolves around fraternities and sororities.

Wake is known as a school for white, rich kids.

Devin

its relativly small which is nice. i went to other schools to visit friends and i just felt myself overwhelmed. my boyfriend once described wake as "america at disney's epcot". it has a very homey feel.

its a pretty conservative school but i think thats starting to change on campus. i cant really imagine that anyone could really feel out of place here, thers a niche for everyone. most people tend to be from the upper middle class here, i mean who else could afford the 40,000+ a year it takes to go here. but there are also a lot of scholarships to help kids that cant.

yes and no. i mean yeah, most people that go here are rich prep school brats it is a private school afterall, but by no means does everyone fit that role. you can really find who you fit in with anywhere.

wake has the nickname "work forest" for a reason. youll end up doing a lot of work. though frankly it may just be because the people here are very motivated, so they put effort into getting good grades. there is no grade inflation here, if anyhting its deflation. most people actually do get Cs which is hard for a lot of us to get used to. all the professers are great. the classes are small enough that they all will know your name.

the campus is dominated by greek life. 90% of all the parties on campus are greek parties. we are a hard liquor campus, not so much drugs. the football games are usually pretty packed...for the first 5 mins.

That we come staight from a J.Crew catalog

Devin

To some extent yes, there is little diversity when it comes to the student body. Excluding athletes, the great majority of kids at Wake are preppy and come from upper middle class backgrounds.

Steffie

Wake is the only college I applied to, and I have never questioned my decision (this was thanks to the early decision-single choice application they offer, if you love it here, do it!! Makes senior year a breeze ;-)) The size right now is a little more than 4,000 students, but they are implementing a plan to grow a couple thousand over the next few years. Personally, I think the size is great. It is big enough that you do not know everybody, but you can't go anywhere without seeing people you know (which I suppose could be considered a downside at times). Before you even get a chance to get sick of this, though, it's your junior year, which is when most people choose to go abroad. Spring at Wake is amazing, with lots of stuff going on (including lots of day drinking on the weekends) so most people go abroad in the Fall (sororities and fraternities are really really big here, too, and the new pledge classes are selected in the spring--even more reason to be on campus). Wake is a really good school, and people across the country are definitely starting to take notice. When I first started at Wake, people recognized the name because of our basketball program and Chris Paul, but the academics are getting more and more notice now. People definitely do not seem to have trouble getting jobs right out of college. Wake doesn't have the greatest nightlife outside of our "bubble" if you are underage. There were 3 bars that fraternities have parties at at least once a week, but Wake bought them up this year, so it's not entirely clear what will be going on there. For those of age, there are some very popular bars that are popular pretty much every night of the week in case you finish that homework early. Overall, people who go to Wake, absolutely love it. You have to suffer through a lot of papers, tests, and presentations, but the fun you have with all your friends when the work is done (or when you can afford to push it off) makes it all totally worth it.

Let's be honest, Wake looks pretty homogeneous on first glance. Most of the diversity comes from the athletes. There is not much of a gay or lesbian community around little Winston-Salem or in our bubble on campus. Most people are probably in the upper middle class or higher, and I am not even sure about religious backgrounds. This is all, sadly, pretty true. But Wake is making a conscious effort to increase diversity, and the little diversity we do already have is extremely accepted by the student body as a whole. As I mentioned briefly before, Greek life is huge at Wake. There are 7 sororities (and a new one coming next year thanks to popular demand), 12 fraternities, and a number of historically black fraternities and sororities on campus, as well. In general there is a good relationship between all the different organizations. There are definitely the stereotypes for each one, but people have no problem getting to know people from other organizations and seeing who they are outside of this label. They basically are around to connect you with a group you may not have otherwise gotten to know, and to give you some pre-arranged parties to attend. The majority of Wake's social life is run around fraternity parties and sorority events, especially if you are too young to go to bars. That is not to say independents have nothing to do. Apartment parties (in the great apartment complexes near campus) are common, and independent girls are always welcome at fraternities, as well ;-). Even though we are not a campus full of Southerners, the southern hospitality does still exist on campus. Guys holding doors for girls, people saying hi to everyone they even kind of know as they pass them on campus, etc. There are also a lot of good looking people here, and with the gym being redone, they will probably only be in better and better shape in the years to come.

Wake has one of the prettiest campuses I have ever seen and I definitely suggest coming for a tour if you can--if you can come in the spring, even better.

Surprisingly, as someone who has lived in Boston and Ohio, I never felt like Wake was very Southern at all. I'm not sure if it was self-selection, but I honestly only have a handful of southern friends, with the rest hailing from the north like myself. People are definitely pretty preppy here-- we do like to wear dresses and ties to tailgate-- but it is mostly by choice. Wear a sundress to a football game and you'll never go back, trust me, it's too hot for black jerseys or t-shirts. Athletes are generally the only ones that wear sweats to classes unless you're one of the many health-obsessed students who hit the gym before your 10am. We are definitely work hard, play hard at Wake, though. With the amount of work we put in during the week and especially Sundays, you would go crazy if you didn't go out as hard as we do. It's all self-preservation and we are happy to do it.

One of the best things about Wake is the small classes. Freshmen year there are two required classes with about 10-15 other students where you can choose from a wide variety of special topics in many of the different disciplines that you want to look into further. This is a great way to get to know a few more of your classmates, as well as make a real connection with a faculty member. Throughout the years you will definitely get a few big classes-- plus side: participation doesn't matter-- but for the most part they are pretty small. In my Spanish major, classes are never bigger than 15, but in my communication major, they can be a lot bigger. Participation is always a plus in classes here, but there never seems to be a problem finding people to say stuff, so you can avoid it if you want to (aka if you didn't do the reading). People at Wake were pretty much all top students at their respective high schools, so people are just plain smart. I was happy to see, though, that people aren't terribly competitive with one another (unless you're in the business school, Calloway, but even there people are always helping each other out allllll the time). Having so many smart people around does occasionally lead to intellectual conversations, but generally they are drunken and get heated quickly because soberly, people are either doing work or are stressed and would rather have more light-hearted conversation. Wake's academic requirements are getting more and more manageable it seems. A lot of people complain about the language requirement, but as a Spanish major, I clearly didn't mind it. The worst required class, Philosophy, has just been made optional (damn you, newbies! so lucky), so chances are divisional requirements will be much less miserable. Registration is always a struggle, but teachers are usually great about letting you in if you just keep showing up in the beginning of the semester. Depending on the department you're in classes can be geared toward learning for the sake of learning and improving your general knowledge, or solely on getting a job (or somewhere in between). Calloway is definitely directed toward you making a lot of money when you graduate, but even if you are one of the less-pressured majors, Wake has a great career department that helps with interview preparation and finding internships.

Fraternities and sororities, like I said, are huge at Wake. But if you're from the North, don't let this scare you away. Most people who come to Wake thinking they will hate Greek life (myself included) tend to have a change of heart and learn to love it. It is not nearly as intense and caddy as the movies like to make it appear. Fraternities are pretty much just a group of guys that like to get drunk together, to be honest. When I first got to Wake, before sororities were even in the picture, I joined lacrosse because I wanted the team feeling back from my high school days. It has been such a good way to get to know other girls on campus and get some fun exercise. There are a ton of club sports teams and intramural teams offered at Wake besides lacrosse, too, and they are really popular with students here as well. Dorm life at Wake is great. Freshman year you will live in a dorm with all freshman and a number of RAs and people tend to get really close to their halls. The upperclassmen dorms are really nice, and set up as suites, with 4 or more rooms and a common bathroom. Rooms are decently sized, but you will definitely be ready to upgrade to an apartment when you are a senior (or junior). The apartments by campus are really nice, affordable, and well-run, and so popular with Wake kids that you are sure to have some friends as neighbors. Houses by campus are also really cheap and pretty well-kept, so they will often be bought up by fraternities and sororities or groups of friends so they can hold their own parties. The dating scene at Wake is not terribly lively, as most guys and girls tend to stick to random hooks up that may later lead to relationships. Relationships are definitely common among the older crew, but as freshman and sophomores people generally choose to play the field and see what's out there. Wake Wednesday's have become a tradition at Wake, because apparently we all need the aid of alcohol to get over the hump of mid-week misery. Wednesdays, Fridays and Saturdays are definitely the biggest social nights on the calendar, but Sundays, Mondays, and Thursdays pick up significantly once you're of-age. We are also big fans of day drinking, especially in the spring when the weather is perfect for some morning punch or cheap champagne and pools of jello pudding to make things messy. More tame traditions are events like Hit the Bricks, Wake 'n Shake (both charitable events that raise money for the Brian Piccolo Cancer Foundation), a ton of events held by the Student Government and Student Union (concerts, carnivals, dances, etc.), and of course tailgates, football games, and basketball games. Wake is alllll about tradition and is what makes the campus so close and the alums keep coming back.

Wake is probably seen by others as an extremely preppy, Southern, conservative school--thanks in good part to the Baptist history it no longer maintains. All of us that go here, however, stick more with the stereotype of work-hard, play hard.

Megs

Winston Salem is no college town. I actually like winston and have some favorite haunts (of course, I will be out of here five seconds after graduation), but wake campus is a bubble, and very few students venture out and explore the town. There are some really cool bars and restaurants; being 21 and having a car certainly helps. You just need to take some time to explore. I'm pleased that wake is moving to reach out to the community more and is going to be developing parts of the town. It'll be really good for both the town and school. I'm so frustrated with the administration. They are draining the pocket books of all the students, when they should make greater fund raising efforts. If the revenue for a new project doesn't exist, then don't irresponsibly charge the students as a way to mobilize it! How will we ever increase the socio-economic diversity of the school if we keep dramatically rising costs?! It isn't just tuition; it's even parking and student health!

I'm disappointed with a large number of wake kids. So many people are highly ambitious and incredibly hard-working but they also have a tendency to be a follower. Too many people here are apathetic, especially to issues concerning wake itself. There aren't very many free-thinkers, which is very frustrating. Get ready for a lot of wealthy white kids! I predict that a large percentage of students in my class will enter the corporate workforce, although a large percentage of each graduating class goes on to serve in the peace corps or teach for america.

YES! Diversity in a variety of fields is lacking here. There is more than meets the eye to a lot of people here; i have some of the most interesting friends who will probably change the world in some way, but most of them still fit into those stereotypes.

I loved having a first-year seminar. I had a really hard topic (gender and racial identity) and was mentally exhausted after every class, but it was very fulfilling. There are so many fascinating topics to choose from (a friend's a seminar was on pirates), and they are led by a number of cool professors. This is definitely a gem of wake's academic program, and i wish that i could take some of these seminars even as an upperclassman. Registration will make you want to set yourself on fire your freshman and sophomore year. It is really hard to get a spot in a lot of classes (e-mailing profs before registration and asking for a spot usually helps, though). Wake is great about encouraging students to study aboard. The school has some pretty amazing houses. I went with a non-wake program, and the international studies center was so helpful with recommending programs, guiding me through the process and answering all my questions. I had no problem receiving credit for the courses that i took while abroad.

If you are really into the indie scene (movies or music) and if it's really important to you, then look elsewhere.

Rich. White. Greek. Conservative.

Fran

If I could change some things about Wake I would add more food options on campus and I would also make the dorms nicer (larger rooms, etc.).

No. Granted it is expensive to attend Wake Forest, but that doesn't mean that everyone has a lot of money.

I think the classes are incredibly difficult at Wake but I appreciate what I am learning in the classrooms. If I could though, I would like to change the divisional requirement classes. I think that testing in divisional credit classes should be standardized. It is amazing what a difference you see in your grade based on your teacher. You can work so hard in a class for a C while another person in the same class with a different teacher does nothing for an A. That is unfair and I think standardized testing would be a great way to change that.

Wake Forest has a great social scene. Fraternities and sororities are a HUGE part of that social scene. I think that the Greek life on Wakes campus is incredibly important. I may be biased as a member of the Greek community, but I think we do a lot more than just throw parties. The Greek system raises a lot of money on campus for great causes and always has a great turnout to nonGreek fundraisers as well.

Wake Forest University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.