Winston-Salem, NC
Wake Forest University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Wake Forest University

melissa

best thing about wake: the students, the friendships worst things: amount of work, frustration between faculty staff

too much racism and dislike between greeks (within different organizations) and non greeks

depends are who you are looking at

grade deflation. seriously

drinking.. all the time. we need more culture. sometimes we can go to the theater shows, etc

rich, preppy, snobby, super smart, no fun

Jillian

Wake's size is just right. You'll always see someone who know walking across campus but you'll always see someone new too. Wake hasn't really gotten its name fully recognized in a lot of places in the North, and I know what that's like. But it's name is really growing across the country and employers are definitely impressed by it. A lot of the time Wake is thought of as a business/pre-med only school but the liberal arts flourish on campus and we have some of the greatest professors out there. Wake could definitely use some more social spaces on campus. Winston-Salem isn't as bad as it may seem. Sure its sort of weird that basically everything in the area is funded by tobacco money but there's a great art district of town that is growing and plenty of places to eat in the area. Wake may be its weirdest in tailgates. I know some other schools do it too but seeing guys in ties and girls in dresses at a football game is just weird. I was abroad in the fall and I couldn't wait to get back. Wake really becomes a home. As much it may seem like a bubble sometimes (and it is), it's a really great place that I can't wait to get back to when I'm gone.

Alternative lifestyles are not very well represented, nor are minorities, though that is getting better. Students don't really wear sweatpants, etc., to class. They are usually dressed nicely, and students tend to be pretty fashionable. Most students wear designer jeans and tote around designer handbags. For the most part, students have a lot of money. Just look at the parking lot--Hummers, BMWs, Mercedes. What is really nice about Wake is that only 30% of the student body comes from North Carolina. There is a really large percentage of Northerners here, so its not as overwhelmingly Southern as it could be. Students are definitely politically aware, and I'd say it is split between conservative and liberal. There is definitely a larger conservative contingent here than there is at most universities.

There's some truth to the stereotype but there is definitely a strong liberal, more artsy student body that isn't always given the credit it deserves. Not everyone pops their collar and wears only pastels--there's a definite representation of tie-dye and skinny jean emo kids.

Wake's academics are definitely demanding. You can't float through and expect to do well. Wake kids are really dedicated to their work and the library is always packed. On the same token though, Wake kids still find time to go out! Intellectual conversations may happen out of class, but I think because we are so overloaded during the week, when we get the chance to hang out it is the last thing we'd want to talk about. Students are competitive but usually you have friends in other departments because of the liberal arts curriculum, so I think that eases competition a bit. I am an English major and I really love the department. The teachers are friendly and brilliant. They always know your name. The department also hosts some great events. I am a Journalism minor, which falls in the English department, and there is a lot to be desired in the department. We have some great professors but not many classes are offered each semester. Professors are extremely available. Office hours are constant and they usually have no problem making an appointment outside of office hours. Many in the English department are willing to go over papers with you and work through your rewrites in order to help you become a better writer. Relationships last past one semester--I am still in contact with professors I had over a year ago. I think the business program at Wake is overly geared toward getting a job that it really detracts students from enjoying their education. The liberal arts are much more geared toward the process of learning as a whole. Wake really needs to improve on its career services department, since it mostly helps out only business students.

Greek life is enormous. However, because there aren't Greek houses and because we have deferred rush, it is not as dividing as it could be. The party scene is almost entirely Greek, with sports teams occasionally having parties. Bar scene is almost nonexistent. People party 2 - 3 times a week on average: Wednesday, Friday, Saturday. Chock it up to the nice weather, but day parties are extremely popular with the students--and definitely one of the best parts of Wake.

Wake students are definitely thought as overachieving, WASP-y, conservative, spoiled kids who live off of daddy's money and are probably in a Greek organization.

Jamie

The school size seems just right now, but the parking is absolutely terrible. Wake is a really great place to go to school and the people are very nice for the most part. greek life is very important for social purposes.

there is not as much diversity as i would have liked to see upon arrival. a student with a lack of social skills would probably feel out of place here, but i guess they feel out of place most places. four tables: 1. athletes 2. GDIs 3. frat 4. sorority

most are true and if they aren't it is easy to see why some might jump to such conclusions.

the professors know my name and are always very eager to help students (at least in my experience). wake students have intellectual conversations outside of class but i would like to see more. i feel like once we get out of class a lot of our energies are focused into studying so once we finally have downtime to actually have a conversation we don't want it to be intellectually focused.

most popular organizations revolve around greek life. and the most popular sports teams are the ones that make the most money i.e. football, basketball. i don't attend basketball games but i went to almost all the football games. last weekend i went to a few parties and drank. most of my friday saturday and wednesday night involve drinking...plus the occasional monday/tuesday. off campus i work and shop and eat with friends

everyone wears polos. no one dates. greek life is essential. work forest is accurate. everyone is rich.

Katie

Wake is an awesome school. It is a good size - I love the fact that is has big sports and is well known but is small enough to be very personal. However, in the Greek scene the school seems very small and everyone knows everyone else's business. People are extremely impressed when they hear I go to wake, it definitely ups their opinion of me. There is not much of a college town which sucks and a couple of the bars are closing down so there will be even less places to go. School pride is decent, you can find avid supporters. Wakes actual campus is gorgeous they spend alot of money on it to keep it that way though. The Greek life is also awesome if you want to be apart of it. There are always parties to go to and easy safe ways to get there. Scheduling for classes can be a pain for the Freshman and Sophmores.

The campus is very Waspy. Most people are white and rich, however I like to believe that Wake students are very accepting of diversity. It is the type of atmosphere though when students consider originality as weird though. Girls get pretty dressed up for class. J.Crew and Polo is seen everywhere. There is a good diversity of people from different parts of the United States though. It is also a very republican student body.

Yes for the most part. It is very hard, there are many good looking people who also are very preppy and such.

Wake's classes are small and therefore more personal. It sucks though because with smaller classes it is harder to skip. There is absolutely no grade inflation at this school people work extremely hard to get good grades. Everyone works hard and wants to do well. The professors are good and personal your professor will know and say hello to you outside of class. The academic requirements are great at Wake. They have recently changed them to make it alot easier and the requirements are very doable now.

Greek life is huge at wake. I have really enjoyed it though- it makes it so there is always something to do. Fraternity parties and Greek events are where most or if not all social events that I attend. There are Greek houses off campus with free alcohol. Rides to get there are rather easy and you can call a brother to get you one. The drivers are pledges and are designated. I always leave my door unlock although I have heard other peole have had issues with that. Athletic events are not that popular except for the football games in which their is an excuse to drink at the tailgate. Also people get pretty dressed up for a football games - sun dresses and sport coats. People party alot I feel that everyone is either studiyng or partying. There is not much else to do except that.

Wake's student body is considered very good looking and in shape. Wake is said to be extremely hard - work hard, play harder. Wake students are said to be extremely preppy and the girls get very dressed up for classes ans such. There is not much diversity and that especially if the Greek realm everyone seems the same.

Wake is a small school, and that's nice. The academics here are excellent. The campus is pretty. The girls are pretty, too, so ladies, if you come here either make sure you're really hot or prepare to drown your loneliness in your studies because the guys seem to hold all the cards here. The university has lately been making some decisions that seem to indicate an increased desire to make money. The parking prices rose $200 from this year to the coming year, in addition to the usual tuition hike. Also the incoming class size was increased to the extent that we had to kick the professors out of the on-campus housing that 5-10% of them (mostly the foreign ones) inhabit in order to accommodate the incoming freshmen. The secrecy and haste of that decision created so much controversy that the administration had to back down somewhat, allowing the faculty an extra year (instead of three months) to find somewhere else to stay.

Let me tell you the truth: Wake Forest would have no black people if they didn't pay us to come. The black community would diminish to the point that even the ones that went to fancy prep schools and hang out exclusively with the white kids would get scared and stay away. This 80-something percent white thing is no joke; it's about the same ratio that Howard has of Black to everything else. Sometimes this really does feel like an HWCU. But it's not the skin color that's the problem for me. I'm cool with white. I went to high school in the suburbs, after all. But these white kids are different. They dress like they just stepped off a yacht; pink shorts and rainbow flip-flops and stuff. Fancy cars. I don't have much contact with them for the most part. They just walk past me on the quad. I've long since stopped wondering what planet they're from and just accepted them as the people who pay for my education.

Lots of Wake students are that way. There is a significant subcommunity of us, however, that are regular, down-to-earth people who just came here to get an education. While the Greek system is annoying in some ways, it does pretty effectively filter the people who are here for other purposes out of the social realm of the rest of us. It is weird to sit in class next to those people, though, and feel like you're attending two completely different universities.

Academics here are excellent. My professors all know my name, even in my giant chemistry lectures (giant being about 50 people). In general I like my classes. Any class I've taken from a head of department has been excellent. A warning though: don't come here if you don't want to be challenged. We call this place Work Forest for a reason. For the science majors and premeds, though, there are abundant opportunities to do real research (not just washing glassware) for your professors and even up at the medical school. The summer research grants aren't that hard to get and most professors are receptive to having undergraduates work for them. Premeds do tend to be pretty cut throat, but not quite to the extent of pencil-kicking: the aggression stays passive. The main problem with a Wake Forest education is that, for such an large investment, I don't know if the return (i.e. your job after school) will be so lucrative. Most kids plan to go to graduate or professional school before the go to work. It's pretty funny when I tell them to travel abroad, though. A semester here costs more than all of college in Latin America, for example, and they ask, so what will you do when you get out? Will you make lots of money? And I say, ummmm....no, I kinda have to pay some more and go to school some more.

Wake students are supposed to be preppy and wealthy. Like all college students, we drink a lot and are very shallow.

Randy

The best thing about Wake for me is the sense of community. No other school I have expirienced has such a tangeable sense of unity. Wherever I go in life I will always feel a connection with other Wake grads. The one thing I would change is the frat scene because I think it promotes clicks and bubbles which suck. The size is perfect. It's a very intimate community where you feel like you know the kids you're going to school with but it still has all the resources of any huge state school. For me, Wake is the perfect mix between the small school I wanted for education and community and the huge school I wanted for everything else. There isn't much of a college town atmosphere. Outside of sporting events you are usually on campus. The judicial system can be kind of strict at times but as long as you tell the truth you should never face any insurmountable legal hurdles within the judicial system. There have been countless priceless moments of rolling the quad with my fellow classmates but one was particularly thrilling. My freshman year our football team beat Florida State 30-0 handing their legendary coach his first home shotout ever and his first loss to Wake in almost twenty years. As students poured out of dorms screaming, on their way to roll the quad, it began to rain. Thus, the quad turned into a mudsliding fest and almost every student returned to their dorms covered with mud from head to toe. A number of my clothes were ruined but I will never in my life forget the absolute thrill of that moment.

Wake's student body is incredibly geographically diverse. The student body is pretty politically apathetic, however, with the exception of election years. Kids are way richer than any college students should reasonably be. Most people think Wake is really conservative but it's a very even split on campus. Students definitely don't talk about how much they'll earn one day but you can tell they probably think about it. I'm a Jewish liberal from the North and I have never felt for one moment out of place at Wake. I truly feel like whatever your background you will be welcomed into the community and judged more by your character than anything else.

Not at all. The school is as diverse and welcoming as you would expect from a top tier school.

Every professor I've had at Wake knew my name. I've loved every single class in my department but some of the pre-recs have been a little iffy. My favorite class was most likely a class called "Gandhi" in which our final prohect was to enact Gandhian method somewhere to ignite some change anywhere in the world. My least favorite class was theater. Classes like theater definitely have been wastes of my time but other pre-recs like Astronomy can be pleasant surprises. This situation will improve though, as the school has drastically decreased pre-rec requirements. Classes are very much a give and take between students and professors and students are expected to provide insights regularly. Wake students are very intellectually involved and are constantly talking about thought provoking lectures, articles, or speakers. Wake doesn't feel competitive at all. In the political science department I am constantly shooting the breeze with professors outside of class and encountering them at community political events. The professors at Wake, despite their mind blowing resumes, are some of the most humble, kind people you will meet in your life. Sometimes other students are more worried about careers after school and less about intellectual exploration at Wake.

It's a conservative southern baptist school.

Cody

I love Wake. I love the small, community feel that it has to it. I love that it is a gated university and not smack dab in the middle of a city or town. There is a lot more school pride now, I believe, since last year's football acc victory.

Everyone wants to treat people of other races the same. A student with a lot of tattoos and piercings would be out of place at Wake. Most students wear jeans and a casual shirt to class. Different types of students interact (different races, ethnicities, etc.). In the dining hall, there is a section for the athletes, the studiers, the frats, and the sororities. Middle class- upper class financial backgrounds are the most prevalent. Students seem to be politically aware while others are not simply because there is not enough time apart from activities and homework to stay caught up on politics. Predominantly right, but Wake is founded on left.

Yes, professors know my name, for the most part, because classes ( even the introductory, prerequisite courses are small). Least favorite class was Chemistry. Students often study late, and if possible, with a group of students in the same class. Yes, Wake students have intellectual conversations outside of class. Education and the curriculum is geared toward getting a job.

Football, sororities, and frats are popular groups. I'm a part of the track and cross country teams. There is always some sort of speaker, play, athletic event, entertainment activity, benefit fundraisers, etc. that take place year round on Wake's campus.

Rich, white girls and boys go to Wake. Girls are in sororities and wear dresses to football games. Boys are in frats and wear polo shirts with khaki shorts. Wake is like a bubble- students are unaware of what is happening outside in the real world- outside of Wake Forest campus.

Melissa

The best thing about Wake is the campus. It's beautiful and stands out from others. It's a great size, perfect for walking anywhere since it is not too big. The basketball and football stadium off campus is a great idea because it prevents sports day traffic, etc... The brick buildings are beautiful as well as the two quad set up. All of the facilities are nice. The school is definitely getting a little bit bigger. I love Wake for its size, that is obviously why I came here. If I wanted a bigger university, I would have gone somewhere else. With the small school things are more personal and our alumni support is great. Alumni keep coming back for all different events. I am not happy to see Wake reach above 4,000 students. Wake is a great school this small- we compete and surpass all of the larger universities. Being the second smallest institution in Division 1 (slightly above Rice) really shows how amazing we compared to all of the other universities. We are ranked in the top 30 universities, which is great. I don't see why we have to expand our enrollment. If people want a larger school, feel free to go somewhere else. I love the personal attention received at Wake and the strong networks formed that I am afraid will both diminish as the student enrollment continues to increase. I want it to be a privilege to be a Demon Deacon, only given to a select few- the best. The more enrolled, the less special it feels to be a part of Wake Forest. When I tell people I go to Wake they are impressed. I spend most of my time on campus on the field hockey field for sure since I play on the Wake Forest field hockey team. Go DEACS! College Town- does not exist, but I heard where Freddie B's is located will eventually become a street like Franklin Street by UNC. hmmmm....we'll see. Administration- honestly I am shocked by some of our professors. I went to a public school for high school and my teachers there were much better teachers. I have a few great professors, but the majority are not very good. That also might have to do with the low pay teachers receive at Wake. That should definitely be increased because if we want to continue to have high rankings, we need to attract the best teachers to attract the best students. Recent controversy- faculty apartments being knocked down for student housing. Wake wants to increase the student enrollment to 4800 is some many years (5 I think?) Next year we already have 80 more freshmen coming to Wake. Because of this increase they increase parking to $500 and it will probably go up each year because of this prospective increase each year until Wake reaches 4800 students. Well possibly a better situation would be to go back to old ways- only recently sophomores were required to live on campus. Why can't sophomores have the option to move off? That would eliminate over crowding issues with housing on campus and then less people would require to have their car on campus full time. Freshmen already have to park off and sophomores have their cars full time on campus. With sophomores off there will be more parking available since students don't have to park their car on campus- they have their option to car pool, ride their bike to school, walk, etc... School Pride- at games, yes. Orange Bowl was the best example- simply amazing. Unusual- no swim team and a poor swimming facility as well as a really small work out gym. Experience- the Orange Bowl. Also for field hockey- the NCAA final four and hopefully winning another National championship (we will next year....) Frequent Student Complaint- these lap tops are ridiculously not good!!!! Seriously we need a contract with a better and more up-to-date company that will suffice our needs better. These lap tops are so cheap. I know we had a contract with Dell last Fall that fell through because Wake pays next to nothing for these IBM thinkpads and did not want to pay more with Dell. Well if it is part of our tuition anyways, Wake should invest in better quality lap tops. I know other universities, Syracuse for example, is given an option of 3-5 different lap tops and different brands to chose from. It is still part of their tuition and they have to get a lap top, but they do have a choice and may have to pay more depending of their choice. Tuition is already going up 6% next year anyways, so I am pretty sure adding on a little extra would be worth getting better lap tops. If not, an option would be best. Most students go out and buy lap tops anyways because these are horrible...so why own two?

There are people of all ethnicities and races at Wake- obviously white is the majority, but other groups do exist. Students do interact. I know while Wake expands to its 4800 student body, that more students will be accepted from ethnic backgrounds. Wake wants to enlarge its ethnic student body because diversity is important to the university. I believe in diversity too since the world is becoming so much more global; however the best should be accepted to Wake, ethnicity should not make a difference- the most qualified should be accepted. I believe in diversity, but who can bring the most to Wake should be accepted- though diversity does play a part of this.

This stereotype is not true. Obviously parts pertain to some, but as a whole it's a ridiculous stereotype. People are labeled as "athletes" and I know a lot of students who play sports at Wake that do not fit any of the categories above, yet they are viewed that way. Athletes are automatically segregated from the rest of the student body.

I am a student athlete and was recruited to play on the Wake Forest field hockey team. Field hockey is not the most popular sport, but we are the most successful at Wake Forest. We have been to the Final Four in the last 10 or so years in a row winning 3 consecutive National championships, several ACC championships, and we are consistently ranked in the top 5 in the nation. Big deal for such a small university and a small team, but we do well against our competition. Playing field hockey is a full time job, not to mention going to class, studying, and still having a social life as well as being involved in other groups on campus. For example, not only am I involved with field hockey but I am on Student Government, LEAD (75 "leaders" chosen to come together to chance/enhance things at Wake Forest- we are working to start a Day Care center on campus), SAAC (a student government for athletes- 2 representatives for each sport), volunteering at Campus Kitchen, help coach the club field hockey team, and doing various other projects. Field hockey is a fall sport, from August until late November; however we do have a spring season as well. The Fall is most important, taking up most of our time. We come to school 3 weeks before classes start practicing 2 or 3 times a day for 3 weeks. Once classes start we practice once a day for 3-4 hours 6 days a week plus weight lifting twice a week. We also have games on Saturdays and Sundays. The hours spent for week practicing and playing is about 20 hours plus other things involved with field hockey like treatment, individuals, watching video, analyzing games,meetings etc... It is a lot of work. We travel a lot missing classes frequently, which is also difficult. Towards the end of the season we are only going to classes twice a week because, for example, the Final Four requires us to leave Tuesday or Wednesday and we won't get back until Sunday. The spring is less of a commitment, but it is still 4 days a week of practicing with a couple of tournaments and games. We have 4 tournaments, including a trip to California to play 5 games including playing a Japan team. Keeping up with academics during season is important. It is very easy to miss turning in an assignment, not doing work or not studying because we are halfway across the United States traveling and playing. It is doable to do well in school, participate in other groups as well play our sport. Currently, not only am I involved with other groups, but I am a Dean List student with all A's so far this semester. It's hard work, but worth being a student athlete. We not only experience what the other students experience at Wake, but much more.

Since I am an athlete I realize this stereotype more than most. There is a stereotype about athletes. Athletes are dumb, only could get into Wake for sports, poor so they are on scholarship, just hang out with eachother- they are their own sorority/fraternity, they wear just sweat pants and all of their team stuff all the time, they are different, etc... Athletes are put into their own category like we are different from everyone. At Wake there are the "greeks", "regs" and "athletes".

The best thing about Wake is the community of students, faculty, and staff. I don't know many college campuses where you could walk down the sidewalk and know most of the people you pass, students and teachers alike. The atmosphere at Wake really fosters the building of personal relationships that will carry you through all 4 years. Teachers are easily accessible which is great for learning and really adds value to the education. There is an enormous amount of school pride, from both current and former students. We may be small, but our successes are large and far reaching. Whether it be through national champion athletes, Rhodes Scholars, or award winning researchers, Wake is known throughout the country. One experience I will always remember is winning the ACC Championship and going to the Orange bowl in 2006. The win was a school-wide win. The football team had the support of everyone in the school. Those who could not make the game celebrated the ACC victory on our main quad with cheering and participating in our traditional "rolling of the quad." Students who didn't even know each other came together to celebrate side by side. At the Orange Bowl, we sold over 17,000 tickets; even though our enrollment is just over 4,000. Even though our fans were outnumbered at the Orange Bowl by Louisville fans, we made our presence and our cheers were heard by the players. It was truly a magical experience and is the best example of our athletics combining with the general student population.

A good summary of Wake's student body would be, "Work hard. Play hard." Students like to have a good time and party, but not to the point of getting in the way of our education. We know that we are first and foremost here to get an education, but we believe we can do that while having fun. When it's time to study and work, we all buckle down and get it done. But when it's time to go out and celebrate, you can find students and various house clubs or bars.

In some circumstances they are true. I would say that being "preppy" is quite prominent which is reflected in the clothing choices of students. As far as being wealthy, it may or may not be true. The fact of the matter is that Wake Forest tuition is high but people realize the education is well worth the money spent. Therefore they find the money to come here. It may be easier for some families, but in the end the money is only the means to a great education.

Academics at Wake are definitely tough. Given this, the faculty and staff try to give students every chance to succeed and do well. Classes are small which fosters learning and encourages participation. Teachers are always available for extra help. Wake provides an active learning environment in which the student is challenged, but has the tools for success. In the end, the value of a Wake Forest education is something that I expect will evident for the rest of my life.

Some are that we are preppy and wealthy, country-club like kids.

Wake Forest University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.