Winston-Salem, NC
Wake Forest University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Wake Forest University

The best thing about Wake is the community of students, faculty, and staff. I don't know many college campuses where you could walk down the sidewalk and know most of the people you pass, students and teachers alike. The atmosphere at Wake really fosters the building of personal relationships that will carry you through all 4 years. Teachers are easily accessible which is great for learning and really adds value to the education. There is an enormous amount of school pride, from both current and former students. We may be small, but our successes are large and far reaching. Whether it be through national champion athletes, Rhodes Scholars, or award winning researchers, Wake is known throughout the country. One experience I will always remember is winning the ACC Championship and going to the Orange bowl in 2006. The win was a school-wide win. The football team had the support of everyone in the school. Those who could not make the game celebrated the ACC victory on our main quad with cheering and participating in our traditional "rolling of the quad." Students who didn't even know each other came together to celebrate side by side. At the Orange Bowl, we sold over 17,000 tickets; even though our enrollment is just over 4,000. Even though our fans were outnumbered at the Orange Bowl by Louisville fans, we made our presence and our cheers were heard by the players. It was truly a magical experience and is the best example of our athletics combining with the general student population.

A good summary of Wake's student body would be, "Work hard. Play hard." Students like to have a good time and party, but not to the point of getting in the way of our education. We know that we are first and foremost here to get an education, but we believe we can do that while having fun. When it's time to study and work, we all buckle down and get it done. But when it's time to go out and celebrate, you can find students and various house clubs or bars.

In some circumstances they are true. I would say that being "preppy" is quite prominent which is reflected in the clothing choices of students. As far as being wealthy, it may or may not be true. The fact of the matter is that Wake Forest tuition is high but people realize the education is well worth the money spent. Therefore they find the money to come here. It may be easier for some families, but in the end the money is only the means to a great education.

Academics at Wake are definitely tough. Given this, the faculty and staff try to give students every chance to succeed and do well. Classes are small which fosters learning and encourages participation. Teachers are always available for extra help. Wake provides an active learning environment in which the student is challenged, but has the tools for success. In the end, the value of a Wake Forest education is something that I expect will evident for the rest of my life.

Some are that we are preppy and wealthy, country-club like kids.

Toby

School pride is definitely big in the form of Screamin' Demons for basketball and football games. People are usually mildly impressed when I tell them I go to Wake, but less so than when I used to say that I was looking at Stanford and Duke -- it just doesn't have that same reputation. Winston-Salem is definitely not the best college town, but there are a few good restaurants and Hanes Mall is good.

Again, the stereotypical Wake student is rich, white, preppy, and active in Greek life. The athletes bring a different side to this stereotype, though, and of course there is more diversity than that. However, anyone either not fitting pretty well to this stereotype or a member of a varsity team is likely to feel at least somewhat out of place.

Wake recently changed their divisional requirements, so now we have more freedom to take what we want instead of what's required. All professors hold office hours, and in my experience all are willing to schedule other times to meet if their office hours aren't conducive to your schedule. Many professors build class participation into the grading percentage breakdown, but class sizes are small enough to where this isn't a problem.

Greek life is big here. As an athlete, I was one of about 4 girls on my hall (of 30+) who didn't rush. There are also some good Christian or religious groups, such as AIA and RUF.

Wake is definitely one of those schools with lots of rich, preppy students, both stereotypically and in reality. And while you definitely will see your fair share of designer jeans and shoes in any given class, there will also be the athletes and straight-out-of-bed students who rep the sweats.

Meredith

The best thing about Wake is that it feels like home from the first day you set foot on campus. It really is an easy transition stage between high school and the real world. The size is pretty ideal, and while sometimes it feels a bit small, I still see new faces daily. Wake has a great reputation, and whenever I tell people I go here I get great reactions. Some people only know about the school because of its athletics programs which are top-notch, but academically Wake also has a great rep. Wake's administration seems a bit snoody to me- too concerned about image and prestige and the money involved. But they do their best to hide it, and the faculty certainly do not have the same mentality. Many students complain about Winston-Salem and say that there is nothing to do. But if you actually look for stuff going on in the community, you can definitely find it!

The student body is very homogenous and not having the financial resources to live highly can be stressful to students who cannot afford to do so. Yet there are pockets of students who do not fit the wealthy mold. Politically, the student body is on average pretty moderate, but there are both extremes on campus as well.

Like most stereotypes, there is some truth to this statement, but there are also many deviations from the "norm". The university does a decent job at bringing diversity to the campus- not necessarily via the students, but through professors, speakers, etc. The student body is definitely lacking in diversity, but the athletic teams allow a bit more diversity than the rest of the students.

The stereotypical Wake student is wealthy, white, and conservative, and generally people say that the students chose Wake because they were rejected from Duke or Davidson.

Wade

The best thing about Wake is that it is small enough to know at least one person in your class but it's big enough to meet someone new every time you go out. I think the size is just right. The campus is too small to expand on the number of students. When I tell people I go to Wake they are immediately impressed or they have no idea what Wake Forest University is. Some people know that it's a good school but they just know that it's close to UNC and Duke. As for Winston Salem being a "college town"...no, it's not. If you want to see a college town, go to Gainesville. I have never had a problem with Wake's administration but since I am an athlete I don't really have to deal with any of it. I spend most of my time with my team, working out and practicing. When I'm not doing that I'm either in class, studying or sleeping. Wake's school pride is there when the sports teams are successful. If a team isn't having a good season the fan base and pride drops tremendously. Also, the fan base is only decent for the football team and the men's basketball team. There are other teams on campus that are among the best in the nation and their stands are empty. The one experience I'll always remember is watching the field hockey team with the National Championship in 2004 and the experience of playing my sport in front of a packed gym and winning.

I don't really have any experiences with student groups around campus. The type of student that would feel out of place at was was an emo/gothic like person. A lot of students dress up for class. You will see a lot of greek letters and athletes in sweats also. I'm sure there are different types of students interacting but it's not that common. Everyone usually stays within their own crowd. Four tables in the dining hall. Athletes, freshmen, athletes, and sophomores. I have met Wake students from all over the country but the east coast and midwest are represented well. Financial background of 90% of the campus is the parents have money. Most of the students do seem politically aware and they are all over the board as far as left, right or center go but most professors seem on the left side.

I am an athlete and my college experience is very different from the experience of someone who is involved in a greek organization, I promise. During season, I go to class, go to practice, go home and sleep. I can tell you exactly what I'll be doing on any given day at any given time. My schedule is made for me and I have no control over it. Some people who are not athletes think we are stuck up because we don't go out all the time or we keep to ourselves. We aren't stuck up, we're just tired from practicing and conditioning for 4 hours everyday.

I think the smart stereotype is accurate for the most part because to survive you have to have intelligence but I can't say that everyone has common sense. As for everyone being rich, there are very rich people at Wake but not everyone fits in the same category of wealth.

I'm impressed that professors do know everyone's name. My favorite class was Dr Batten's Human Sexuality class and my least favorite was American and Brit Lit. Personally, I don't spend a significant amount of time studying but I do know a select few that when they aren't in class or sleeping, they are in the library. Intellectual conversations outside of class do happen but the ones I've experienced are usually in a bar setting with alcohol involved. Are students competitive? Ruthless is a better word. The education at Wake for me seemed like it was for learning's sake. I am job searching right now and I don't feel prepared at all.

Seeing as most of the campus is affiliated with some kind of fraternity, sorority, or athletic team I would say they are the most popular. When I lived in the dorms I would leave my door unlocked, I wouldn't advertise that it was unlocked but I never had a problem with my stuff being stolen. Athletic events aren't as popular as they should be. Some guest speakers are popular if the topic is interesting, the same goes for theater. I don't know much about the dating scene because I've had a boyfriend all 4 years of college but I know the hook up scene is prevalent. All of my best friends came from my freshman dorm. If I'm awake at 2am on a Tuesday I am probably studying for a test or just leaving a bar. The one tradition that I have enjoyed throughout my time is the rolling of the quad and I hope it never dies. People party several times a week. There are people at the bars every night of the week but I'd say an average person goes out 3 times a week. Fraternities and sororities aren't important to me but it's a good social network for some. A Saturday night that doesn't involve drinking is probably going to dinner, a movie and an early bed time.

The biggest stereotype is that every student that attends Wake is rich and smart.

The best thing about Wake is by far the undercover social and greek scene that the University does a great job in playing down. When I went on a tour here, I had no idea how big a part of Wake Greek Life was, but since joining a sorority, I can happily say that it is the best thing that has happened to me! It is not necessary to be in a frat or sorority, but being in one guarantees four fun years, and I cannot wait for those years to come!!

Wake's student body is prodominantly white, there's no getting around that. Wake seriously lacks diversity, but it doesn't make it a worse school I have learned more about myself from the people I have met this year than I ever thought I could, so I don't think that the lack of diversity is really that big an issue. As far as what kind of student would fit in well at wake, I would probably say that someone who is not too alternative, but yet has a edge and seeks fun and adventurous things because Wake will certainly give you plenty of opportunities to have a good time.

Bottom Line: Wake is GREAT. I am so happy that I chose to come to Wake because I am having the time of my life. I am getting a quality education in the classroom and out of the classroom. I have made so many friends from so many different parts of the US and I cannot wait for summer break when I can go visit them! If I was chosing between a larger, public school and Wake, I would tell anyone to choose Wake just because they will have the time of their lives!

NO! these stereotypes are not accurate at all. I mean, there are definitely people who personify these characteristics, and most people that come here are generally wealthy, but i know plenty of people who are are here on scholarship or are not stuck up at all! I love wake, and i don't feel like i have to dress in J Crew everyday to feel like i belong whatsoever.

Wake is great as far as academics are concerned. One key example of how great the professors are in general just happened to me. I am in a Religion course and I got a grade on a paper that I was not happy with. I talked to the professor, who was more than willing to give me tons of feedback and scheduled a time to meet with me around MY schedule, and he allowed me to write a replacement paper and drop that grade! I don't think that this could happen at any other school with a larger student body, and that's why academics at Wake are great.

Social life at wake basically revolves around Greek Life and atheletics. If you aren't in a frat or sorority, you are really missing out of social connections and true friendships. Football players and Basketball players are by far the most recognized at Wake. As far as dorm life, I love it. Everyone on my hall is great, but i think i may have gotten lucky. I have never had a problem getting a shower, having privacy, or falling asleep. I personally leave my door open all the time when I am in the dorm because I love for people to stop by and chat, but mostly I am in lounges talking with other people and doing my work, because I do have a lot of it!

1. Everyone is rich 2. Everyone is a J Crew catalog cut-out 3. Everyone is stuck up

Gretchen

The best thing about Wake is that students are truly well rounded and involved. No one spends 100% of their time at the library or 100% of their time partying. People are involved in student leadership, religious groups, political organizations, service opportunities, and so much more. People are just involved in general. The size is perfect because it is small enough that I am constantly meeting people; however, there are many people who I will never meet and will remain strangers living around me. Despite our size, the opportunities and pride that students have as Demon Deacons is enormous. We have won national championships in multiple sports as a D-1 ACC school. A fun tradition that we have is toilet papering our own quad after any large athletic victory. You will be throwing rolls of toilet paper on a Saturday afternoon next to 500 of your closest friends (and no one will have toilet paper to last the rest of the weekend!) For our most rivaled victories, the quad looks like it is in a white out. It is a beautiful sight.

Wake Forest is a more "preppy" school. Most students wear at least jeans and a t-shirt to class, but it is more common to find girls in a skirt, dress, or cute top. Guys typically wear a t-shirt, knit polo, or button down dress shirt. Students generally come from higher socioeconomic families, but once again, that is a huge generalization. haha, they don't really talk about how much they'll earn one day...

Some--the diversity is increasing on campus, but isn't largely present. We definitely work hard, but many play hard too. Very few students thrown themselves only into 1 thing whether it be academics or another activity. Most students are extremely well rounded and involved in multiple aspects of life here.

Students definitely study and work hard. Let's not lie--really hard. The classes are small enough that the professors almost always know your name and recognize your presence in class. Many really want to support you both in and outside of the classroom. I have been over to multiple professor's houses for dinner for a special class discussion or celebration. I have the type of relationship with a few of the professors in my department such that tears have been shed in their offices, laughter is common, and conversation extends way past the classroom.

Students in dorms typically leave their dorms open. I leave on a 10 person hall and people are always yelling to each other and having conversations. It is very open where we are all living together. Dating...hmm...haha, there is not much casual dating. It is either friends or boyfriend/girlfriend. There is not too much "Do you want to grab dinner on Friday?" If there is, then there are huge expectations for the future attached. One of the greatest parts about WFU is you can always find someone to do anything with. If you want to watch a movie, you will find someone to do that with, if you want to go to an art gallery, you will find someone to do that with, if you want to get waster, you can find someone to do that with, if you want to go to the library to knock some work out, you can find someone to do that with.

preppy, work hard/ play hard, rich, no diversity

Stacy

Professors ~ That everyone is pretty much exactly the same ~ Just right ~ They usually mention something about basketball, or more recently football, but generally don't know where it is. Often get it confused with Lake Forest. ~ In the library, Wingate or Tribble ~ 'what college town?' ~ Administration is okay, tough a lot of workers tend to be on the ruder side and the doctors at Student Health are completely incompetent. ~ Moving faculty and administration out of faculty apartments with really short notice and closing Campus Grounds and putting in a Starbucks ~ Yes. ~ Everyone is extremely thin and fit but not necessarily healthy. Does not fit the national average. ~ Meeting my fiance. ~ Greek life runs Wake, they take attendance, parking tickets, conformity, etc.

Everyone is the same for the most part. Anyone who isnt a preppy, upper-middle to high class, white, thin, smart individual. ~ Preppy or nice clothes. ~ No not really. ~ Basketball players, football players, sorority tables, fraternity tables. ~ South or Northeast. ~ Upper-middle to Upper class. ~ Yes politically aware ~ Predominantly Right ~ Yes.

Most of my friends who were seniors are are seniors (I am a senior) can't wait to get the hell out.

Yes. ~ Favorite this semester: Internship at Baptist Hopsital, Least this semester: Hindu Religious Traditions ~ My friends study all the time. ~ Yes. ~ Yes. ~ Yes. ~ Magic Ritual and Power in Indian Culture ~ Religion major - the Religion department is amazing I love all of my professors and I'm close with most of them. We're a small department too so that helps. ~ Yes. ~ Tooo many required courses - though it's getting better. ~ Learning for its own sake on the Undergraduate side thats based on Liberal Arts.

Screamin Demons ~ I'm the treasurer of Theta Alpha Kappa - the religious honor society - its really laid back and relaxed. ~ No. ~ Athletic events are popular, the rest not as much. ~ The PIT gets old really fast, glad I don't have to go anymore. ~ Freshman Hall and Delta Zeta (Sorority). ~ No one dates really, those that do have really intense relationships. I am happy to say I met my fiance at Wake. ~ Rolling the quad. Lovefest. Hit the Bricks and other fundraisers. ~ Average 3 nights a week probably and then you have people at both exremes. ~ Veyr important. ~ Stayed in with my roomates and friends and drank wine and watched movies. ~ Rent a movie. ~ Starbucks, volunteer, Whole Foods, Borders/Barnes and Noble, go out to dinner, etc.

All really preppy, wealthy, and republican, oh and very Greek. Even if you come in different everyone leaves the same.

Jack

School is just the right size. Most people don't know where Wake Forest is located when they hear I go there. The newest controversy is juicycampus.com.

Only for a very very small portion of the student population.

Baseball, football and volleyball are the most popular sports. If I'm awake at 2 a.m. on a Tuesday I'm watching a movie with my girlfriend.

That the students come from affluent families and are very privileged and don't have to work for anything.

Cameron

The best thing about Wake is the school spirit! Everyone comes out to support the football and basketball teams and we're all really excited to be Demon Deacons. Whenever I tell people where I go to school, they usually comment on our great sports teams and strong academics. I'm proud to be a student here. Winston-Salem isn't really a college town, but I like it that way. I grew up in a college town so it's nice to be in a bigger area! There are lots of great restaurants in W-S and a good mall, too. That sounds ridiculously girly but it's something we all appreciate when we need last minute outfits for a theme party. The biggest current controversy is the expansion of Wake. The administration approved space for 80 extra students next year and they want the university to double in size. The students really like the small, close-knit campus and a lot of us object to making Wake just another medium-sized university. Another controversy is that the administration is apparently taking down all of the Greek letters from the residence halls next year. I hope this is just a rumor because I think it would be false advertising to make it look like Greek life doesn't dominate Wake's social life.

Wake's students tend to be from upper middle class families. A lot of students are Christian but I don't personally know of anyone of other religions. There are lots of Christian worship opportunities, too. Wake has a GSSA but I don't know anyone in it and I don't know anyone who is gay. For the most part, anyone who isn't upperclass, white, well-dressed and well traveled won't fit in at Wake. Most kids look like they stepped right out of a jCrew catalog. Students either dress up to class or wear sorority/fraternity jerseys and sweats. For the most part, however, students are really attractive and motivated and care about their appearances. If there were four students sitting at a table in the dining hall, they would all be white. Two would have brown eyes, one would have blue eyes, one would have green eyes. Two blonds, two brunettes. That's pretty much the extent of the diversity on Wake's campus. In terms of their accessories, they'd have on Ugg boots and David Yurman jewelry and would have Coach and Longchamp bags with them. Wake students don't talk about their wealth on a daily basis, but designer shoes, jeans, purses, etc. are prevalent on campus. Politically, the campus is pretty conservative.

A lot of students at Wake are well off, and there's not a lot of economic or racial diversity. But everyone gets along pretty well even if they don't fit the mold. Everyone here is really nice and laid-back, regardless of how much money they have. I don't know anyone who flaunts their wealth.

All of my classes are really small--the biggest class I've had yet was 40 students and the smallest was 15. Unfortunately, the professors do learn your name and they notice if you skip class. But it's nice, too, because the professors are always available to help you out. As a freshman, I really appreciated my first semester Spanish professor. I was struggling in the class and she made a point of meeting with me once a week until I understood the material better. I think Wake tries to make classes about learning for the sake of learning, which is why we have the liberal arts divisional curriculum. But students seem driven to get good jobs when they graduate, which is why a lot of students are pre-med, pre-law, or business majors. Students don't really compete with each other but they do tend to compete with themselves over their grades and work really hard to be academically successful. My favorite class last semester was Introduction to Asian Religions. It has nothing to do with any major or minor I'm interested in, but I thought it sounded like it would be an interesting class, so I took it. It was fascinating and I looked forward to going every day. It wasn't easy, but it was really interesting.

The most popular groups on campus are fraternities and sororities. Greek life pretty much controls the party life and social scene on campus. People do choose to stay independent, but guys especially get a lot of grief for their choice. Last weekend, my sorority had date functions on Thursday and Friday night and on Saturday night I went to a fraternity party. That's a pretty typical night on Wake's campus--off campus fraternity parties. But there's always something to do on campus that doesn't involve drinking, like club and inter-mural sports teams, worship groups, and school-sponsored activities like Wake Frost, Wake n' Shake, Springfest, and Shag on the Mag. Sororities and fraternities also have philanthropic activities, like Tridelta's "Triple Play" and Delta Zeta's "Turtle Tug" that students get involved in. People go to athletic events, but guest speakers and theater events always get a poor showing, except by students who have to go for class. The dating scene at Wake is as close to non-existent as possible. Everyone always says, "Wake students don't date."

The stereotypes of Wake students are that we're all rich and preppy and snobby and there's not a lot of diversity.

Wake Forest University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.