Winston-Salem, NC
Wake Forest University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Wake Forest University

Cameron

For the most part, yes. Although there is some cultural diversity on campus, the majority of students are wealthy and white. Most are conservative politically, although as always in a university environment the majority of students are reticent with their political views except for the extreme cases at either end of the political spectrum. Most students here are intelligent and truly involved in their courses, although I am occasionally shocked at the stupidity of some members of the student body. These represent the "hard working" students with the diligence and marks to get into the school but the intelligence of a rock. While there is a strong emphasis on greek life, one can find other opportunities to engage in social bonding, though this requires motivation and a willingness to steer oneself away from the cynicism of complaining incessantly.

Rich, white, fratty, intelligent, hardworking.

Harper

the best thing about Wake Forest is its size, and the opportunities afforded to individual students as a result of the small size and personal attention in the classroom. for example, i've gotten to double major, and study abroad twice (1 summer, 1 semester) in departments that are neither of my majors--i think this was possible because i was always aware of the opportunities available to me to get to know faculty in other departments and explore subjects of interest to me. Wake Forest has allowed me to cultivate a love for learning by providing a liberal arts education curriculum. If I could change one thing about Wake it would be the conservative bias of the student body. Not a college town--WFU is isolated from the Winston-Salem by gates...you have to be very intentional about getting off campus and interacting with people other than college students. Wake's administration changed recently (a couple years ago) and I have been disappointed by the constant treating of this educational institution as a business, with more and more considerations of money than of the university's overall health as an institution. For example, the administration just served a slap in the face to its faculty living in campus faculty apartments, by notifying them only 3 months in advance of the school's plan to convert the faculty apartments into student housing, effectively evicting 60 faculty and staff families from their homes with 3 months notice during the busiest time of the school year. This lack of consideration was driven by a need to increase the school's revenue: increase student body (which no one wants), increase tuition, and find a quick fix for housing to accommodate for the enrollment increases. School pride in ACC sports.

see "stereotypes" section...students are primarily white, straight, conservative, southern, affluent, and attractive. there is a thriving LGBT community at Wake, and pockets of liberals to be found if you're looking for them.

All of my professors know my name and a lot about me because I haven't had a class with more than 30 students in at least 2 years. The departments (at least the ones I'm a part of--Psychology and Religion) are very intimate, with faculty-student dinners and socials at least once a year or semester. Students work very hard, study a lot, and are usually very vocal in classes, especially in classes of 10-12 people. All my Wake friends are very intelligent and political, and engage in disciplines outside of their majors...constantly fostering a well-rounded education. If you want to be prepared for a specific job, you can definitely do that with Wake's pre-med, pre-law, accounting program, and business school. I chose to approach my education with a more liberal arts focus, studying primarily psychology and religion, but dipping into other disciplines and classes that have interested me. This hasn't necessarily prepared me for anything specific, but has prepared me instead to be continually interested in learning for the sake of learning.

affluent, attractive, driven, achievement motivated, conservative, Southern, white, straight, affiliated with a Greek organization

Rebecca

The best thing about Wake is it's size. It's big enough to offer lots of opportunities to students and to not feel constricting, but its small enough to not get lost and really feel like part of a community. Winston-Salem is definitely not your typical college town, but there are good places to go to shop and eat in the area.

There is very little racial diversity at Wake and even less mixing between these groups. The minority groups that are on campus tend to be very separated from mainstream culture. I thought I would feel out of place here as a liberal, but I definitely don't. I think that stereotype of Wake is very much exaggerated. People here are always dressed in brand names and spend a lot of money on their clothes. If you don't have sperries and lots of polo, you will look out of place. At the same time, many students show up to class in sweats and t-shirts, but of course it's the right sororities t-shirt and is worn with UGG boots and chanel sunglasses. I think the top two states people here come from are North Carolina and New Jersey. The New Jersey-ites are generally the ones that have lots of expensive things and like to swipe daddy's credit card.

For some people, but definitely not everyone.

I love the small classes I have at Wake. All of my professors know my name and I feel like I have relationships with many of my current and past professors. Some of my favorite classes so far have been outside of my major, my divisional classes, like Philosophy and Theatre. Students here study a lot, some people keep crazy hours and don't sleep. The workload is definitely not impossible though, especially if you choose your classes wisely and use good time management. The psychology department here is great. I got to know a professor my first semester here who has helped me out a lot planning my classes and giving me other advice. I started helping with her lab's research for class credit spring semester of my freshmen year and I have continued up until now. I am now the only student investigator on a project with her and another professor that will probably become my honors project next year.

Greek life, especially sororities, are a very large part of social life on campus. Also religious groups can be a big part of social groups. Most freshmen join Screamin' Demons, a group that supports Wake sports. Lots of people go to football games and basketball games and it's a great way to get involved and feel the Wake spirit. There is a major lack of a dating scene, although I don't know if its worse than most college campuses. There's definitely more a hookup culture, and then when people start dating it get really serious really quickly. If you're a partier, you can definitely party at least 4 nights a week. Wednesday is the big non-weekend night to go out but people also drink on Thursday nights a lot.

Snotty, stuck-up, rich, conservative

AJ

yes - to a certain extent. It is true that a majority of people are preppy at Wake but there are quite a few people who aren't. Along with this, while students might appear preppy, they don't necessarily fit the role--a lot of them are good people.

Academics are the best thing about Wake. Class sizes on the whole are very small and professors are absolutely amazing. This is not to say the work load isn't difficult and requires a lot of studying, but often times classes are interesting so the work is enjoyable. I've had many great professors who are not only geniuses but do a great job of teaching class and offering help outside of class. I have multiple professors who I consider friends and visit with whenever I have a chance. Academic requirements give students a taste of everything and are to the students benefit. Wake is geared for learning for it's own sake, but will definitely help you get a job after school.

Everyone is a prep and fraternities and sororities rule.

One thing I'd change: I would take power away from the trustees who pretty much run this school and seem to see it more as a money making organization than an educational institution. The school is a good size, but they keep accepting more Freshman, which means it will inevitably grow. I am embarrassed to tell people I go to Wake, so I usually don't volunteer the information unless someone inquires. I spend most of my time in the student run coffee shop on campus, in the building Tribble (which houses English, philosophy, political science, and education classes), and in the bookstore where I work. Winston-Salem is not so much a college town, but perhaps it could be one if people actually made an effort to leave campus and explore. I do not like the administration. There are actually huge controversies going on right now concerning a long list of announcements that were made about some changes coming up. They are increasing tuition by 6 or 7 thousand dollars, charging a student health fee, charging $500 to park your car on campus, they are kicking out the faculty and staff from their on campus apartments in order to let students live there, and they are planning on spending 25 million dollars transforming Deacon Blvd. into a hang out place for Wake Students. All of these things apall me. There is a lot of school pride, yes. Anything unusual? We have an underground tunnel system that is restricted, but people go down there anyway.

Many students attend religious groups but in many cases, there is a discrepancy between how they act in said groups and how they act on any given Friday night. The LGBT group is not really respected at all. Many people are homophobic or are just unwilling to accept differences. Most kids are from an upper middle class- upper class background... except for the athletes. Most students are conservative and identify themselves as more in line with Republican thought. There is somewhat of a dialogue about politics, but many students do not know enough about it to hold meaningful discussions and many (on both sides of the political spectrum) are close minded to other opinions.

If I could do it all over again, I probably would not come to Wake Forest, but I feel like I have at least tried to make the best out of it, and I'm not completely miserable in my small group of friends.

For the most part, professors will know your name, and may even remember it years later if you had a relationship with them. Favorite classes: Foundations of Education with Scott Baker, Jewish American Literature with Dean Franco, and Contemporary American Lit with Jim Hans Least favorites: Intro To Christian Tradition, Juvenile Delinquency Students study a lot and are quite competitive. Most unique class: Theological Perspectives on Ecology with Mark Jensen Students occasionally have intellectual conversations outside of class if you know the right people. There are many great professors in the English department where I am a major, but the actual layout of the dept. and the required classes definitely needs to be updated. We only have to take ten classes to major, but we currently have to take 2 pre-18th century Brit lits AND a class on Shakespeare, and I have little to no interest in this time period and wish I could specialize in something else. There is also no room to really concentrate on a particular genre or era of literature or even to concentrate on creative writing, which I think is a weakness of the department. I love the small classes and sitting around a large table instead of at desks in rows. The education at Wake is definitely geared toward getting a job, which is a definitely flaw of the system. Maybe the individual teachers place more emphasis on the learning component, but the overall vibe I get is that we are here in order to become successfull, and success seems to be correlated to happiness and the amount of money you make. That said, the school is definitely NOT good at helping the true liberal arts majors like English, Philosophy, Religion, etc. find jobs. They assume that everyone wants to be in the business world.

RUF (the reformed Presbyterian group) is huge. I am involved with WAKEradio, which I love. It is a small goup of students who sort of go against the flow of the school. I am also part of a new group called Students Pro Humanitate, which strives to promote policies of peace and looks out for Human Rights. We have also protested many of the proposed changes such as the forced eviction of facutly and staff from their apartments with little notice. I met most of my closest friends through either WAKEradio or being an English major or both. If you're awake at 2:00am on a Tuesday, you are studying. Greek life is huge, but I am not involved. Off campus, I work at a coffee shop down town. There are a number of good restaurants in Winston to go to, and we have a new movie theatre with discounted tickets for students. Mostly, when my friends and I go out, we go either to Greensboro to see an independent film that is not playing in Winston, or we go to Chapel Hill to see a concert. I went to Chapel Hill last weekend to see a show in fact. We get a lot of good music out there, but it is unfortunately about 90 minutes away by car.

The Greek life is a huge component of social life on campus. Wake students are all stuck up, spoiled, and rich. The unofficial uniform is a polo shirt (and pearls when applicable) and Rainbow sandles. The students work hard and party hard. Living on campus is living in a bubble.

Laura

Class size is a great thing at Wake. In the majority of my classes, my professors can address me by name, and I feel like I have a true teacher student relationship. I am not just another person taking up a seat in a classroom. I would make bigger by about one thousand students. People always say, "That's a great school". I spend most of my time in Benson or in the Library...aside from my dorm room. There aren't many places for students to go around Winston. There should be a row or area of cool boutiques, shops, restaurants, pubs, etc. downtown. The biggest controversy lately was the administrations decision to shuffle the professors out of faculty housing on campus. No one was happy with this decision; Wake did not give enough notice for the faculty. BETTER FOOOOOOOOOD! Aramark has a monopoloy on Wake and it is D-R-E-A-D-F-U-L!!!!

People at Wake are very similar. You would never see a goth person dressed in all black with odd piercings and the punk rock type of person is rare. People wear anything from t-shirts and jeans to skirts and nice blouses. People hang out with greek life friends for the most part. Independents typically hang out together. People usually have plenty of money, but no one is really, really showy. Even though Wake is in the South, it is not a "Southern school". There are a lot of Northerners that go here. It's kind of unfortuante that there are not more of the "good ole boys".

To some extent; I feel like I am in a little bit of a bubble

Most professors know my name. I am a biology major, and all of my professors are so enthusiastic about the classes they are teaching. Students study all the time anywhere they can, but have fun too. Many of my classes are lecture style, so class participation is less in those. But my english class and sociology class were very involved. Students are competitive to a certain extent, but not to a malicious extent. People are willing to help if you do not understand something. I am going on a trip to Peru that my Bio professor from last semester takes every summer. There were too many divisional requirements when I entered Wake, but they've lowered them some. Education is geared toward learning and then once you get to junior year they start getting you to attend career services events.

Greek life is really big at Wake, and people hang out with their greek organization a TON! I'm in a sorority, Kappa Kappa Gamma. It depends, some people leave their doors open and others don't. Athletic events are kind of popular. It depends on if a team is doing particularly well or not. People at Wake do not date very much. People usually go out 3-4 nights a week.

Extenuation of private high school, stuck up

Jack

Best thing: small size I'd change: exclusiveness of greek life Size: just right Reaction: very favorable or never heard of it Time spent: on-campus when you live there, off when you live off Town: Wake is it's only little community within Winston-Salem Administration: old school but helpful Biggest controversy: juicycampus.com School pride: yes but not nearly as much as other schools Unusual about Wake: closed campus Experience to remember: Sigma Chi slip 'n slide parties Complaints: workload, no on-campus fraternity houses, tired of greek parties

Groups: none Out-of-place student: non-drinkers, extreme liberals, and poor dressers Clothes: dresses, skirts, t-shirts, jeans, pants, shorts. no sweatpants etc. Different students interact: yes Four tables: sorority, fraternity, sports team, gdi Financial: middle to upper class Backgrounds: mainly white, some asian and black Politics: some active, mainly republican Concern for future wage: yes

Wake: depends on major Wake Students: basically and especially within greek life

Professors know my name: almost always Favorite class: MIS with Professor McCray, always depends on the teacher Least favorite class: most core classes Study: all the time except on weekends Class participation: a must for a good grade Intellectual conversations outside class: yes with good friends Competitive: yes to a degree Most unique class: Interpersonal Communication with Professor Louden Major department: business with the undergraduate Calloway Business School Outside class time with professors: no Academic requirements: too many core requirements although recently revised Job or learning centered: mainly learning but job as well

Popular groups: football, basketball, women's lacrosse, men's soccer, rugby A group: fraternity intramural sports Leave dorm doors open: yes Athletic events: football is popular, basketball is freshman year or when good Guest speakers / theatre: depends Dating: up to you, many have girlfriends Closest friends: fraternity and freshman dorm 2am on a Tuesday: likely studying, maybe drinking Traditions: rolling the quad, Springfest How often partying: 2-4 nights a week Greek life: very important Last weekend: fraternity party, house party Saturday night without drinking: bowling, movie, studying Off-campus: everything except class

Wake: difficult Wake Students: preppy, white, wealthy, and smart

Kelly

Wake is awesome! There are too many things that are awesome to pick out just one. One thing I would change would be the cafeteria/the student center. Also, it would be nice to have buses to both football and basketball games. Wake is just right size-wise, I don't want it to get any bigger! People are usually very impressed when I say I go to Wake Forest. I spend my time in different locations but mainly in my dorm room. Its sort of a college town. People like Wake here but there are also other things going on. I love Wake's administration. There were a couple muggings last semester that were pretty scary. There is a lot of school pride.

Wake is not that diverse. Most students wear jeans to class. Different types of students do interact. Wake students are very geographically diverse. The students are usually middle to upper middle class financially. Most students are politically aware. They are at all ends of the political spectrum. Only in a joking sense.

To an extent they are. Wake does attract the wealthier student. But it is a very desirable school for affluent people because it has a great academic reputation in a desirable location with Greek life. Some people are here to party and others do an excellent job of balancing academics as well as social activities. I think a person would find the same types of people at Wake just as much as at other schools.

Some do and some don't. Students study a lot, they don't call is Work Forest for nothing. Class participation is very common. Students are competitive with themselves not each other. The education at Wake is geared towards learning for its own sake.

Greek life is very popular. But religious groups are also popular as well as different charity events and creative/artistic groups like a Capella groups. Athletic events are very popular.

That it is a country club. Everyone here is very wealthy and does not care about academics.

Becca

Beautiful environment, great people. Would like the administration to be more student-oriented. Love the size of the school, but many people in CA have never heard of it, or if they have its only because of the sports. Spend a lot of time in Benson when I'm not in class. Winston isn't much of a college town, but there is a lot of stuff to do around town. The administration isn't centered enough on making life easier for the students, seems like they are often trying to protect themselves against liability or trying to make the trustees happy. Biggest recent controversy was the Riley Skinner pics. Yes, lots of school pride, rolling the quad, etc. Frequent complaints about the food.

A lot of group segregation, racial especially but there are so many religious groups that many hang out with each other. Fraternity/sorority scene is very pervasive, its like two different worlds exist on campus, greek or not. Students look nice generally for class, never wear pajamas! In Benson there are definitely certain tables for certain fraternities and sororities - Kappa, Sig Ep, KA/Chi-Os near the door. Most Wake students are upper-middle class and well-off, have nice clothes and very nice cars. We're from all over but a lot from the South and New York/New Jersey/Pennsylvania. Predominantly right-wing, not a very politically charged campus though. Most students in Econ/Business majors know they will be making a lot of money soon, but its not a typical thing to talk about.

Yes, many professors know my name. Students study constantly, although I think a lot of people just aren't very good at time management and sit in the library doing nothing. Also, people LOVE to complain about how much work they have. Not a ton of intellectual curiosity on campus outside of class. I'm an Econ/Psych double major and I really have enjoyed all my teachers, but don't really spend time with them out of class. Students are competitive but it is not at all cutthroat, not a lot of relative curves so students aren't really directly competing against each other. Students are very willing to have study groups, help out if someone doesn't get the material, etc. We had a lot of divisional requirements, which they've since cut down, but I liked them all because it opened me up to a lot of subjects I wouldn't have thought to take, like Econ, which I ended up loving and majoring in. Education is geared for learning for its own sake, maybe should be a little more focus on helping students look for and obtain jobs. Career services could do more alumni networking, etc.

Sororities and fraternities are really popular, athletes mostly hang out with other athletes. Club sports teams hang out together, religious groups, etc. I am a Kappa, but most of my best friends are in other sororities, and this is fine. A lot of people are mostly friends with people in their own group, but it happens more with fraternities than sororities - its more acceptable for girls to be friends with girls not in their group. My closest friends many I've known since freshman year, others are friends of friends that I've become close to over the years. The dating scene is somewhat nonexistent. Either you randomly hook up with people or you are in a very long-term relationship. Most relationships start with drunken hook ups, which then become more consistent, which then become a relationship. As a senior, sometimes we go to bars on Tuesdays and other weeknights, Wednesday is the main night for all classes to go out to frats, bars, etc, other people on weekdays will be in the library or doing homework. Last weekend I went to fraternity parties on Friday and Saturday. Saturday nights without drinking - maybe a movie, could go to an art gallery, stay in and cook dinner, go downtown, etc.

preppy, Southern, conservative, smart

Dawson

The best thing about Wake is the motivation and drive everyone around me has. It pushes me to do my best and get involved around campus as well. I would change the grade deflation at Wake because it is discouraging to work really hard for mediocre grades. When I tell people I go to Wake, people usually either don't know where it is, or if they do know where it is, they react very positively. Wake is the perfect size. It is big enough that you don't know everyone and small enough to see many familiar faces and have small classroom settings. I usually spend most of my time on campus in Benson because you can socialize and have a space to work at the same time. I think Winston-Salem, though spread out, is a great college town because of its great bars and good, but affordable resturants. The juicy campus website has been a recent controversy because it contains offensive material for some on campus. I think there is a lot of school pride. As much as we hate the work, I feel like we are all proud and happy to be here. I will always remember toilet papering the quad after the Orange Bowl. The most frequent student complaints are about the lack of parking and grade deflation.

I do not participate in those groups. I don't think anyone would feel out of place at Wake, we are very welcoming. It varies a lot what students wear to class, some wear sweatpants and some wear dresses and heels. Many different types of students interact a lot on campus. Wake students come from all over, but a good deal come from the South. The financial backgrounds also vary but most are middle to upper middle class. Students are politically active and becoming more liberal even though we are known for being more conservative. Some students, especially in the business school talk about money, but most are just concerned with finding a job that suits them.

No, there are many different types of people at Wake and many different styles on campus. We work hard, but I like to think of Wake as a place with really well rounded and different people who have fun just as much as we work.

In most classes my professors know my name. My favorite class is my modern art class, my least favorite is my math class. Students study varying amounts, but most study a good deal in order to keep up. Yes in most classes, people participate. Wake students do have intelligent conversations outside of class, especially about current events and politics. Yes students are very competitive, it is the reason why we are all here. My most unique class was my social dance class. My major department has great faculty and a great arts building. No I don't really spend time with my professors outside of class unless I have a question or concern. Wake has too many divisional requirements. I think it is a good mix depending on your department between learning for learning sake and getting a job.

The most popular groups on campus is definitely greek life. I am in a sorority. Ya, people are not afraid to leave their doors unlocked, no one steals here. Athletic events are pretty popular, especially football for the tailgating. I met my closest friends in my freshman year dorm and through my sorority. If I am awake on Tuesday at 2 am I am either at a party or studying. A tradition that happens is toilet papering the quad after games. People party probably about 3 times a week. Greek life is important to a lot of people. Last weekend I went out and did homework. I do the Big Brothers Big Sisters program off campus.

There are many common misconceptions about Wake Students. Some think that we are a very pretty and non-diverse university full of overachievers.

Wake Forest University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.