Winston-Salem, NC
Wake Forest University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Wake Forest University

Matt

Wake Forest is one of the best universities in the country because its professors truly care about its students. The school is the perfect size and allows students to get to know their professors in an intimate class setting. Plus, the administration truly cares about taking care of the students and making them as happy as possible. There's not a real college town atmosphere, but there's plenty to do on campus. School pride and school spirit are great on campus and athletics are huge - everyone goes to the games. I'll always remember dominating larger ACC schools in sports like football and men's basketball as well as watching our men's soccer team win a national title. Wake does an amazing job for its size in the ACC and in national contests.

The campus is fairly politically conservative, but that's just a slight leaning. There are definitely plenty of liberal and differing viewpoints at Wake. The student body is becoming more and more diverse and there are a wide variety of students on campus.

Wake is a very difficult institution, but there is plenty of time for students to have fun. As to the idea that all Wake students are rich preps, that's not true at all.

See above. Professors make a serious effort to learn about each student - more than knowing each student's name. Class participation is expected, and is very good and classes always benefit as a result. The students all work very hard, but there is no sense of competition among students like at other schools (Duke).

I participate in Student Government and there are a lot of dedicated and hard working kids here. There are plenty of things to do on the weekend for the drinkers and non-drinkers, and the Student Union really works hard to give everyone something to do.

Wake Forest is believed to be a very difficult school and there is a common conception that Wake students work very hard. There is also a stereotype that all Wake students are rich kids involved in Greek life.

Mary

The school is small but fit what I was looking for. Wake has a good reputation through out the US and 75% of the people I have encountered at least recognize the name. Winston-Salem is certainly not a college town, but it definitely grows on you. There are several great restaurants and it is relatively cheap. The off-campus houses are affordable and already "broken in." There is a lot of school pride, which came from the small school atmosphere. We also celebrate all sport victories and appreciate our status in the ACC.

Professors within my major knew my name and a handful would still remember me now (3 years out). Didn't study as much as I should- but still did decent! Classes are normally small and set-up to encourage class participation. Students within the Business school were definitely competitive. Wake is liberal arts, meaning that you are forced to take classes outside of your major. I would suggest taking what interests you and really try to enjoy those classes because you will most likely never have an opportunity to take those classes again. If you aren't good at science/math/reading (insert your weakness), make sure that you do not get in an overly difficult class because you do not want it to ruin your GPA. The career development center was very helpful, but I think the Calloway Business School was more geared towards helping people get jobs.

Greek and Sports teams really define the groups. 2am on Tuesday, you are either studying or out at $1 beer night.

Small school with great ACC sports Rich kids due to Wake being an expensive, private school Work hard- play hard mentality

Tom

Best thing about Wake: Faculty are amazing, great teachers, great friends; One thing to change: this place is a bubble and there is nothing to offer on campus in the way of restaurants, shops, grocery stores, etc.; The size of the school is just right; When I tell people I go to Wake, they usually associate it with our basketball team or football team or say that it's a good school (less frequently); I spend most of my time on campus in my room studying, working, procrastinating; Winston-Salem isn't a "college town," but it has a lot to offer as long as you are willing to drive 15 minutes to get there; Wake administration is bureaucratic, largely conservative (with blessed enclaves of more open-minded people), and at times downright old-fashioned; Biggest recent controversy: the school told professors living in faculty apartments that they had to leave at the end of the school year, etc.; There is a good deal of school pride, but I don't encounter it much with the group of people that I hang out with; Wake is unusual in lots of ways-- traditions, etc.-- but mostly it is a pretty standard southern school

The GLBT group here is very open and accepting, although we probably could be more activist in our attitude; it is a great place to meet good friends and to have a space in which to feel safe; students that feel out of place at wake are those who are very intellectual, GLBT students, almost any racial minorities-- this place is really homogenous; a good number of students wear nice/expensive clothes to class but others come in hoodies/t-shirts and sweats-- it depends on the day and who you're talking about; Most students here are from the southeast; students are more apathetic than not to political issues and tend to lean right; I would say that the majority of students here want to get jobs to earn money rather than follow an academic or vocational passion

This place is a good school, and I can say that I have indeed benefited from being here. The academics are stellar, and I feel as prepared as I can be to enter the world of graduate school in the sciences. Socially, this place has provided me with some close friends. However, in general, I hate the social scene here and the fact that it is so isolated. Still, the GLBT group has been great, and general I feel accepted, at least by most of the female population here. Still, if you are looking for a school where it is very, very easy to be gay, this is not quite it. If you're looking for a school where being gay is ok, this place is just fine.

The majority of people here are preppy or try to make themselves look preppy to fit in; the student body is by no means all conservative, but the more vocal of the students are; the students here come from all different backgrounds, but if they are not rich, a good number try to make themselves seem as if they are; there are a huge number of people in Greek organizations compared with other schools

My professors know my name; students study a good deal; class participation is generally very common; I have intellectual conversations with my friends outside of class and I know of other people who do, but I have a feeling that it is uncommon practice; students are not all that competative; my major is great-- the Bio department here is strong with great professors, great research opportunities, and a fair selection of classes; I do spend time with professors outside of class- two in particular are good friends of mine now and we go to lunch every month; Wake's academic requirements for the current class are fine; Education here is more geared towards learning mostly, but some classes have a different mindset

Popular organizations are the greek organizations; I know one student who does not lock her door; the athletic events are very, very popular, speakers not so much, theatre moderately popular; the dating scene is very much composed of hookups and one-night stands; there are people in long-term relationships, but lots of them are with students at other schools; the GLBT dating scene is absolutely horrible since no one here is out; I met my closest friends through the Gay-Straight organization and through a diversity residence organization; 2am on Tuesday I would be working on homework; People party at least once a week, usually on Fridays; Last weekend I watched movies, slept in, went to a get-together at a friend's house, and did work

Preppy, preppy, preppy; the students are conservative; the students here are rich as Croesus; most people are in Greek organizations;

Susan

The best thing was the good friend I met. The most frequent student complaint is that there's too much work.

Students often wear jean to class. Students are not particularly politically active. Student do talk about how much they expect to earn one day mainly from when their parents die.

My professors did know my name. Students study four times a week. People did participate in class. Students are competitive. There are a lot of core requirements.

Fraternities and sororities are the most popular organizations on campus. I was in Kappa. Students in the dorm do leave their doors open. If I'm awake at 2am on a Tuesday, I'm drunk. Tradition: When sports teams win events, we throw toilet paper all over the trees. Off campus we go to bars, restaurants or movies.

Wake Forest University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.