Winston-Salem, NC
Wake Forest University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Wake Forest University

Yongkai

It's a well-known school with feature like small class size and rich educational resources. Professors are mostly very welcoming and helpful. The clubs and organizations spread all over the campus for sure, and many people are involved in those activities. As for fraternities and sororities, they are pretty popular in our school, at least half of the students are part of Greek life. Therefore the party culture is kind of big in our campus in the mid of week or weekends.

Lydia
Love it!

It's my dream school and I love it despite some areas where it may be lacking.

Love it!

It's my dream school and I love it despite some areas where it may be lacking.

Meagan

It is known for its emphasis on service and giving back to the community. Also, although it is a small liberal arts college, it also gives students plenty of opportunity to do research regardless of what field they are in.

I would tell myself that college is the beginning of your journey in finding your purpose in life. You do not have to know what your purpose is by the end of college, but you have the opportunity to at least narrow it down by discovering your passions and values. You may find several things that you like, and you can pursue them all if you have time. As things get more difficult though, make sure the amount of time you put into something reflects how much you value it because you can easily lose sight of what you truly value when things become demanding. It is also important to respect your limitations and learn to say “no”; do not take on more than you can realistically handle. If you have so much responsibility that it is compromising your work in anything that you do, including classes, it is probably best to drop something. While it is important to respect your limitations, it is also important to work on expanding these limitations by improving your time management little by little. You will make mistakes, but it is okay as long as you learn and grow from them.

I think Wake Forest does a pretty good job of acknowledging how difficult it is to know what we want to do with our lives and tries to help us find our passion. We are not allowed to declare our major until we have a certain number of credit hours, usually not until sophomore year, and we are required to fulfill divisionals to explore different departments. There are also lots of extracurricular activities and research opportunities, lots of which involve service, which is strongly emphasized at Wake. There are lots of great professors willing to support you.

MacLean
Why did you decide to go to this school?

Why did you decide to go to this school?

The main reason I decided on Wake was that it was obvious that they were moving up in the top-ranked schools. Another aspect that drew me here was their admissions process. Each application is viewed holistically, they're a test optional university, and there is a large importance put on the interview. I believe that this is why I was admitted and I appreciate that Wake can view that being "smart" does not necessarily mean a perfect GPA.

What are your classes like?

Extremely difficult. Most are set up seminar style with 10-15 students. My smallest class was Dance Design and Production and had only 4 other students in it. Professors require your involvement in discussions and attendance is not always necessary, but expect a concerned e-mail from your professor if you don't show up. The workload is intense...hence the notorious "Work Forest" nickname.

stereotype = white kids who wear Vineyard Vines, drive Aston Martins, & whose parents are CEOs. Yup, pretty accurate. There are of course a small few of us who don't fall into this category, but it's the general feeling on campus...you can't escape it

The classroom experience at Wake is what seems to draw many in (especially for those of us that need extra help). All of my professors know my name. I've been to many of their houses for study sessions and I have most of them as Facebook friends. I have classes as small as five students. One on one time is readily available and utilized by me on a weekly basis. Professors give you credit for trying here- office hours are a smart move! I used to just go hang out with my econ prof. in his office in between classes.There is a certain air of competitiveness here, but you're either in that group or you're in the "just trying not to fail out" group...i'd be in the latter. he workload is a bit ridiculous, the "Work Forest" nickname being completely on point, but it becomes manageable the longer you're here. Everyone studies all of the time...there is no other option. Someone in my hall is always pulling an all night-er. Coming from a public school I think I studied more than any else my freshman year. It is easy to want to do better here, easier to study for tests, easier to go to office hours, though because that is what everyone is doing. Everyone here is working hard. The divisional general education requirements are kind of great and kind of annoying. For example I loved my First Year Seminar (required freshmen class) on Children of Divorce, but I would rather have Cheetos dust permanently stuck on my fingers than take another Italian class. I guess making us take them all is the only way to gauge that. Sucks. That being said, though the university is truly centered around learning and not simply placing their students into a job later.

Lawrence

Preparing diverse students for success in the 21st Century, Winston-Salem State University offers quality educational programs at the baccalaureate and graduate levels. Students are engaged in active and experiential learning and have access to education through flexible delivery modes. The University is dedicated to the development of students through excellence in teaching, scholarship and service. As a comprehensive, historically Black constituent institution of the University of North Carolina, Winston-Salem State University contributes to the social, cultural, intellectual and economic growth of the region, North Carolina and beyond.

You are part of a loving family, or fellowship – the body of Christ. I am a Christian I want to know how I should conduct myself in my various personal relationships and activities. You, need to study further to find instructions and guidance for my private and personal life. I have learned already that God’s grace through my faith in Christ prompts me to live as holy and righteously as I can. Here you will try to develop in my everyday living: my activities will be virtuous; I will always be striving for more knowledge; I will develop self-control; I will learn patience; godliness will be my goal; I will try to show kindness to all; and in all things I will try to show a spirit of love. Not all these qualities can be learned overnight. It may take a long time to attain great improvement, but the Christian life is described as a race, a battle, and as growth. So, Lawrence Bridget will try to grow day by day to be more like my Master until, after some years, all who know me may see the sincerity and reality of my Christianity. God bless us all.

Education is the foundation of a prosperous and enlightened society. They are committed to lifelong learning. Leadership is demonstrated through the relentless pursuit of excellence. They provide distinctive service to all stakeholders. Respect for all; integrity always.

Those who know of "Wake Forest" know that it is a small university, consisting of about 5,000 undergraduates. As a result of its modest size, Wake Forest has an impressive student-to-faculty ratio. Professors genuinely want to develop meaningful relationships with their students, and this experience is invaluable for students. Also, "Work Forest" is known for its hefty workload. But we truly learn, about more than just subject matter. Our professors take their time to teach us how to think and utilize our knowledge in positive ways. Wake Forest is known for shaping innovators.

Wake Forest truly embodies its motto: "Pro Humanitate," meaning "For Humanity." I have been able to connect with every student I have met because we all share a passion for bettering the world in which we live, and we all understand that doing so starts with compassion and a vehement desire to help others. Wake Forest encourages its students to develop empathy for others through learning about them. Simply by listening to the thoughts and watching the actions of my fellow "Demon Deacons," I am inspired daily in different ways to expand my goals.

Allyson

The sense of community is definitely what makes me proud to be a Demon Deacon. Every single member of the WFU family is loving, accepting, and supportive. I have yet to meet someone who has anything negative to say about my school and all have been so excited for me. "You're coming to Wake? You are going to love it there, I cannot think of a place I would rather be!" I have heard this statement countless times and I have not even arrived on campus yet!

I brag about all the successful and wonderful people I have met that have gone through Wake. Even the current students (who were more than happy to give me, a stranger who had not been accepted to the school yet at that point, insider tours of the school) were astounding me with their future plans. One girl was a senior who was already applying to be a physician's assitant, something that usually requires more experience outside of school. However her resume was slightly accelerated thanks to her work at Wake Forest!

Abbe

Demanding a lot from their students academically and constantly striving for the best.

The only kind of person who shouldn't attend Wake Forest is someone who isn't willing to work hard and commit to bettering themself.

The first thing I would say is stop doubting myself. I made the difficult decision to be the only one from my high school to attend Wake Forest when all of my friends were going to NC State and UNC Chapel Hill. I was absolutely terrified and allowed that to totally consume me. I wish I would have had more confidence in my decision to challenge myself with this new opportunity. I met amazing people within seconds of arriving on campus at Wake but didn't allow myself to truly let go and enjoy school for a couple months. It took me a while to realize that if the transition wasn't hard, there would be no point in doing it. Looking back, I would only change my attititude and nothing else. My undergraduate experience was unbelievably challenging and unexpectedly wonderful all at the same time.

Kristina

My classmate encouraged me to succeed and we would study together, share notes, and work together both in the classroom andoutside the classroom such as jobs and internships.

I would say, enjoy your college experiences. Do something crazy once in awhile, form study groups earlier, and never be afriad to ask for help or give help. The friends you make in college will be part of your life. Some friends will maintain a presence after graduation others will fade after projects. Remember to be true to yourself and you will succeed. These four years will fly, but your future is bright with many opitions. Everyone stresses and its ok to step back and take a breath.

Our school is a diverse area that includes individuals of different religions, races, sexual preferences, and backgrounds

I want to tell myself to stay in school. Even if it hurts!! Keep up the faith, stay on the sunny side of life and keep in school. In the end all the confusion, the swet, the long nights of studying instead of hanging out with friends will pay off. Don't forget stay in school. Your parents and grandparents did not go to college. Neither your brother or sister or any of their children. Stay in school and do not give up. Ask for help, find support just stay in school!!

Wake Forest University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.