Winston-Salem, NC
Wake Forest University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Wake Forest University

Madeline

There are two contradicting stereotypes about Wake Forest students. The first is that we are all over-achieving workaholics. The second is that we are just a bunch of preppy rich kids, using our parent’s money, so we can party…all the time. In regards to the first stereotype I mentioned, I’m not going to lie, everyone here pretty much is an overachiever. That’s how we all got here in the first place. That’s not to say that every single student just works themselves into the ground, but it is definitely a well-known fact around campus that grades do matter, that good GPA’s are crucial, internships are a must, and that you must be involved in at least a couple extracurricular activities so we can look ‘well-rounded’ on our resumes Every Wake Forest student cares about their future, and we know that our university, and our performance during our time here, is the ticket to many possible career opportunities in the future. In regards to the second stereotype, I would say that it’s true for some Wake Forest students, but not the majority. Yes, there are some students here that are incredibly wealthy, but in retrospect, over 60% of our student body receives some form of financial aid. We definitely aren’t all from the South either. Wake Forest brings in students from all over. Once they get here, a lot of students are influenced by the Greek system, which is inherently Southern, and the word “y’all” starts to slip into their vocabulary (if it wasn’t there already), and Southern styles of clothing pretty much become the norm. However, one positive side of this is our great Southern hospitality! ? As for partying, we do have the motto “Work Hard, Play Hard” and it’s true to the bone. There’s pretty much something to do every day of the week besides Tuesdays and Sundays. However, you’ve got to remember that most of those kids out partying half the week are still making A’s and B’s in their classes and also very involved. We don’t just party. We work incredibly hard, and our social activities are just an added bonus!

A person who is thinks they can get by in classes without doing work or while sleeping.

That people can be sort of judgemental if you don't look put together 24/7.

Don't be too concerned about partying and Greek Life. It might seem really important during the first year of college, but once you have found friends (which you will!) that have the same values and beliefs as you, then you will feel totally comfortable being yourself. Also, be open to all options when it comes to academics and the future. Having a strict plan is NOT the way to go.

Kathryn

My classmates are exceedingly kind and generous. I am originally from Alabama, so I used to classic Southern hospitality, but most Northerners say that Wake Forest hospitality is what drew them to the school. I am pre-med and I have never felt that the school was overly competitive. The average Wake Forest student works extremely hard academically, volunteers in free time, has involvement in Greek life, involvement in a religious group, and has some leadership role. I like to think of the students as both kind and extremely driven. It is a beautiful school (guys and girls).

I wish I had known how to study effectively when I first got to WFU. I know how to study now, but at first my grades did not represent my ability coming from a public high school in Alabama. WFU requires a lot of studying, and it is extremely respected to study often. I wish I had known that I would be home-sick and probably want to stay somewhere closer to home. No matter how perfect WFU is, distance is a factor. I wish I had known how wealthy the school is.

Bradley
Describe the dorms.

Very clean

Describe the dorms.

Very clean

Describe a day on campus you'll never forget.

Still waiting for this day!!

Tell us about the sports scene on campus.

We are a strong basket ball

Tell us about your professors.

He is very nice and kindly

What are your classes like?

Active and Smart

They are friendly and warm heart

Kirstyn

Everyone has something to complain about regarding Wake, but we find ourselves whining about the same things time and time again because there is so little to complain about. We especially harp on the parking and computers, but how many schools allow freshman to bring cars or give all their students laptops?! We complain, as all 18 to 20 somethings do, but overall, what an incredible place to be.

What's the hardest thing about freshman year?

The hardest thing about freshman year is learning how to manage your time. It is so easy to get caught up in the social scene here; there is always something fun going on, people to see, and things to do. Once you learn how to balance the academic with the social, you are golden.

How often should I phone home? Is once a day too much?

That's really a question you have to answer for yourself. There will be days where you have time for an hour long catch-up, and other days where you will be scrambling to get five minutes to yourself to think. Personally, I speak to my mom every day, but I have friends who have great relationships with their parents who speak to them once a week!

I don't drink. Will it be hard for me to go to parties?

Honestly, no. You don't have to drink to have fun, but be warned that a lot of students do choose to drink at parties. That's not just a Wake thing though; you will find that on every campus, unless the school is dry and does not allow alcohol on campus.

I wish that someone would have told me that it is really hard to wash dishes, cups, and flatware in the dorm bathrooms.

When you step off campus what do you see?

Really, it depends on which exit you take. Just kidding. But for the most part, the exits lead to large roads which run through our small town of Winston-Salem. When you're not in a car and you can take the walking path, you get to stroll through our gorgeous gardens into quaint Reynolda Village for a great cup of coffee, a bit of shopping, or insane chocolates!

Why did you decide to go to this school?

Interestingly enough, I transferred into Wake Forest. I was looking at Wake along with Vandy, Northwestern, Emory, and other schools, but Wake stuck out. Unfortunately, I never got to visit Wake's campus before committing, but I did see the other schools. Something just wasn't right. When I set foot on campus on orientation day, I just knew. I have never second guessed my decision, and I know I made the right choice. I have been afforded incredible opportunities, met some of the best in the business, studied abroad under British professors that students claw to meet, and made the dean's list multiple times at one of the best undergraduate institutions in the nation. Wake can give you opportunities like very few other schools. Take the chances that this school and give you and use them to your advantage.

Unless you like being a social security number instead of a name, you can't hate the class size here. The largest class I've had held about forty students and the smallest I've been in had eight. The average class size probably lingers around fifteen to twenty. This creates a fairly warm and inviting atmosphere in which to express your opinion. Don't be fooled though, just because it's cozy, doesn't mean that it isn't competitive! No one will try to sabotage your grade, but be prepared for them to compare what you got to what they got when you get your exams back! Everyone gets a rough professor that does what they want because they have tenure, but for every one professor that you have that you don't like, you'll have eight that you adore and hold a relationship with even after you turn in your final.

The stereotype lends an interested student to believe that we are all well-dressed, Type A, fairly athletic, and heavily involved in Greek life. Most people at Wake Forest fit into at least one of these categories, but it would be a travesty to think that we can all fall in the same mold. There is something interesting about every student, but it is fair to say that the majority of our students are driven.

Justine

If I could go back to my senior year of high school I would have told myself to take it more seriously. To not focus so much on having the "best senior year" and more on where I was going to end up next. I would tell myself to take harder classes ask more questions about college and worried more about where I was going to end up verse living in the moment. I would say JUstine you can have a great senior year and an even better future at a wonderful 4 year University if you just balance out a little better your school work and your fun time.

If I could go back in time and talk to my high school self, I would tell her to not worry so much. I would tell her that college isn't as scary as everyone makes it out to be. I would tell myself that as long as you keep on top of your homework and take good notes in class then good grades are sure to follow. The teachers aren't as cut throat as I thought they would be. They can be understanding of situations, and most of them are willing to work with you. In all actuality college is like high school. The only differences are that your classmates can be of any age, there are no detentions or calls to your parents, and you make your own class schedules. There are also a lot of different offices with different purposes there that can help you with any problems you're facing. Above anything else I would tell her to stop worrying about what could go wrong in the future, and start working on those scholarships. College is fun, but it can be a little pricey.

Eldridge

My classmates are very helpful, fun to be around, and caring.

My classmates are very helpful, fun to be around, and caring.

I would give myself some valuable advice knowing what I know now about the college life and making the transition. First, I would tell myself to study hard because Wake Forest University is a prestigious ivory league school you might as well say and test are way more difficult and is mainly the majority of your grade in that particular course. Next, I would give myself the advice of ALWAYS working hard and expecting the unexpected. However, I would tell myself to be prepared for every class meeting and to stay organized at all times, because that goes a long way in college. Also I must say that you should manage your time wisely. You should focus on each one of your classes in its entirety, but do not spend hours and hours studying every single night. Importantly, you should get to know your professor personally, because that could help clarify any questions that you may have. Yet, focusing on my school work I would give myself the advice of joining organizations or clubs on campus. Lastly, I must say that the last bit of advice that I would give myself is study first and socialize second.

Dan

Overall, a larger percentage of students on campus come from more traditional, conservative backgrounds. A lot of students also dress preppier--guys will wear polos/oxfords, girls will wear sundresses--but there are plenty of people who wear t-shirts and/or gym shorts because it's what they like and what feels comfortable. On campus, there isn't an overwhelming "southern" feel just because students are from all over the place. There are a lot of students from the Carolinas, but sometimes it feels as if there are as many people from New Jersey (including me) as there are from North Carolina.

Wake's academic reputation speaks for itself. It is a top-ranked university, on par with other top-tier universities. Students work hard to succeed, but it is not impossible to do well as some might lead you to believe. If you are qualified enough to earn admission to Wake, then you are qualified enough to succeed here. There is definitely a stress on the liberal arts education here. Every student has to take an array of divisional course requirements, including courses in humanities, the arts, social science, math/natural science, and foreign language. First-year students also have to complete a First Year Seminar and a Freshmen Writing Seminar. These courses are pretty writing intensive, but are also some of the most interesting subjects that professors would not otherwise get to teach. For example, my seminar was called Music of Protest. In the course, we studied social movements in the Western Hemisphere and how music provided influence and social commentary about those movements. Two of my papers for that class were analyses of the music of Bob Dylan and Green Day. One of my favorite things about the academics at Wake is that I get to know my professors really well. My largest class has been about 60 people, and that was an introductory biology course. Most non-intro courses are much smaller, allowing professors to learn everyone's names in just a week or two. Unlike some professors at larger state schools, professors are genuinely interested in getting to know and connecting with students. I have even had professors invite the class to their houses for lunch/dinner on multiple occasions.

Courtney

Why did you decide to go to this school?

I decided to go to this school for several reasons. One, I really wanted the academic rigor that would challenge me and would prove to the career world that I am a serious worker. I also fell in love with the campus, with the beauty of it and the perfect size. It is large enough to offer everything I could want and MORE, but this school is also small enough where my professors know my name and I am a person instead of a number,

What are your classes like?

My classes at Wake vary from department to department, but each one has been challenging in its own way. Whether it through learning a new perspective or learning a new language, each class has required me to put effort into it. If the student has any concerns or questions, all they need to do is ask their professor. Professors are willing to meet with students and usually have office hours. Some of my classes have completely changed the way that I view the world. The most poignant one so far in my college education was about Contemporary India. This class enabled me to learn about a country that is far more diverse than I could originally fathom. One of my English professors introduced literature to me in a way that will make me never read a book the same way, but with far more depth and insight. Ultimately, classes at Wake depend on each professor, but students have to earn their grades. The standard of education is higher, but it is one that I thrive on as a student that takes my grades seriously. After all, it is the more demanding classes that a student takes the most away from. Each student can choose how much their load will be depending on their major, as some majors are more demanding than others. Overall, professors take their classes seriously and expect their students to do so, but it is always fun to learn from passionate professors!

Where is the best place to get work done on campus?

The best place to get work done on Wake's campus after class hours are the empty classrooms. One of the buildings, Tribble, keeps their classrooms unlocked specifically for this purpose. It is said that one should take their exams in the manner from which they study, so studying in a classroom is one of the best ways to do so. It is even better to know someone who has access to the classrooms in other buildings on campus, because less people are apt to poke their heads in to see if the classroom is empty, although many just put up signs on the doors when the room is occupied.

I read a college review saying that Wake Forest students were a walking J Crew catalogue. Granted, there honest truth is that there are students who come from well to do families and drive nice cars. There is a very clear "type" of students that goes to Wake Forest, and it is whether a student fits or not that can affect how much they embrace their college experience. However, this does not represent the whole of Wake Forest students by any stretch of the imagination. Less students wear sweatpants to class than other schools, but Wake is filled with a lot of students that mind their appearance without being consumed with image. Some students come from family with money, but there are also a lot that are on financial scholarships. It would be unfair to say that Wake had only one type of student from a specific financial background, since many are represented. Greek like does have its prevalence in social life, but there is also the chance to create a thriving social life at Wake Forest without being in a sorority or fraternity. One of the best aspects of Wake Forest students is that each person can carve out their own social network and find friends that best suit them. Simply, there are so many different kinds of students at Wake Forest underneath the stereotype of students that have a lot of money.

One of my favorite aspects of Wake Forest are the smaller class sizes where the professors make an effort to at least know your face. The academics are harder than the average college may have, but it is this that better prepares the students post-graduation. Since I know that my hard work will pay off, I do not mind devoting more of my effort to my classes. In the end, the amount of attention paid to studying depends on what each student wants to allot, but it automatically affects their grade. One of the best things about Wake students is that they keep to themselves where their education matters. There is no competitiveness to the point where it is detrimental to other classmates. Wake Forest is also very attentive to transitioning their students into the workforce and have a lot of resources to do so. The alumni network is very strong around the country and in some international countries like England. One of my favorite classes what a political science class about contemporary India. I learned so much more than I could have ever imagined about one of the most diverse countries in the world. Due to this class, my world perspective has shifted and affects how I see politics in a global perspective. The professors that I have had are passionate about what they teach, and there is nothing better in the academic sphere than learning from someone who loves to teach in their field--and Wake Forest is full of these kinds of professors.

Wake Forest University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.