Winston-Salem, NC
Wake Forest University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Wake Forest University

Alexandria

If I could go back and give my high school self some advice about the college process, I would tell her some key things. The first would be to explore her options. I only applied to one college, got in, and went there my freshman year. For financial I had to come home and go to a 2 year college for a year. I should have explored more options for myself so I could talk with my family about what would work best. That is something else I would tell her, to have a talk with her family about what would work out. Think about everything; is it really the best fit in every way? Not only financially but also in terms of location, academic programs, student life, and everything else that college has to offer. Lastly, I would tell her to not get too caught up in all of the fun that college is. High school came pretty easy for me but college is not the same. You are working towards a higher degree and with it comes hard work, it is important to find a balance between work and fun to be the best you can be.

Wake Forest is a richley diverse community, made up of driven and talented students with a strong sense of school spirit and pride, superior professors who challenge the minds of the next generation and a motto that strikes a chord in every Deacons heart, Pro Humanitate.

Don't take things so seriously. Learn to slow down, don't over involve yourself, and leave yourself room to breathe. The next four years are going to fly by so learn to enjoy the small things, make the most of every moment and don't stress so much. Although things will not turn out as you intended, they will turn out the way in which they were meant to. Instill more in your friendships. The people you meet during the next four years may move away and may never be part of your life again but they will leave a lasting impression upon you and everything you do in the future. You will never get back the moments that you let slip away, so don't leave anything left unsaid. Love with everything you are, always be true to yourself and call your mother a little more often, you will realize later her unending love and sacrifice for you.

The worst thing about the university is the sense of entitlement that some of the students believe that they have when entering as freshmen. Because it is a private university, some students are more well off than others. As freshmen, many believe that they are better, just because of the background from which they come. However, after four years at the University, most students gain a greater world view and begin to see the world from a different perspective.

Madeline

There are two contradicting stereotypes about Wake Forest students. The first is that we are all over-achieving workaholics. The second is that we are just a bunch of preppy rich kids, using our parent’s money, so we can party…all the time. In regards to the first stereotype I mentioned, I’m not going to lie, everyone here pretty much is an overachiever. That’s how we all got here in the first place. That’s not to say that every single student just works themselves into the ground, but it is definitely a well-known fact around campus that grades do matter, that good GPA’s are crucial, internships are a must, and that you must be involved in at least a couple extracurricular activities so we can look ‘well-rounded’ on our resumes Every Wake Forest student cares about their future, and we know that our university, and our performance during our time here, is the ticket to many possible career opportunities in the future. In regards to the second stereotype, I would say that it’s true for some Wake Forest students, but not the majority. Yes, there are some students here that are incredibly wealthy, but in retrospect, over 60% of our student body receives some form of financial aid. We definitely aren’t all from the South either. Wake Forest brings in students from all over. Once they get here, a lot of students are influenced by the Greek system, which is inherently Southern, and the word “y’all” starts to slip into their vocabulary (if it wasn’t there already), and Southern styles of clothing pretty much become the norm. However, one positive side of this is our great Southern hospitality! ? As for partying, we do have the motto “Work Hard, Play Hard” and it’s true to the bone. There’s pretty much something to do every day of the week besides Tuesdays and Sundays. However, you’ve got to remember that most of those kids out partying half the week are still making A’s and B’s in their classes and also very involved. We don’t just party. We work incredibly hard, and our social activities are just an added bonus!

A person who is thinks they can get by in classes without doing work or while sleeping.

That people can be sort of judgemental if you don't look put together 24/7.

Don't be too concerned about partying and Greek Life. It might seem really important during the first year of college, but once you have found friends (which you will!) that have the same values and beliefs as you, then you will feel totally comfortable being yourself. Also, be open to all options when it comes to academics and the future. Having a strict plan is NOT the way to go.

Kathryn

My classmates are exceedingly kind and generous. I am originally from Alabama, so I used to classic Southern hospitality, but most Northerners say that Wake Forest hospitality is what drew them to the school. I am pre-med and I have never felt that the school was overly competitive. The average Wake Forest student works extremely hard academically, volunteers in free time, has involvement in Greek life, involvement in a religious group, and has some leadership role. I like to think of the students as both kind and extremely driven. It is a beautiful school (guys and girls).

I wish I had known how to study effectively when I first got to WFU. I know how to study now, but at first my grades did not represent my ability coming from a public high school in Alabama. WFU requires a lot of studying, and it is extremely respected to study often. I wish I had known that I would be home-sick and probably want to stay somewhere closer to home. No matter how perfect WFU is, distance is a factor. I wish I had known how wealthy the school is.

Bradley
Describe the dorms.

Very clean

Describe the dorms.

Very clean

Describe a day on campus you'll never forget.

Still waiting for this day!!

Tell us about the sports scene on campus.

We are a strong basket ball

Tell us about your professors.

He is very nice and kindly

What are your classes like?

Active and Smart

They are friendly and warm heart

Kirstyn

Everyone has something to complain about regarding Wake, but we find ourselves whining about the same things time and time again because there is so little to complain about. We especially harp on the parking and computers, but how many schools allow freshman to bring cars or give all their students laptops?! We complain, as all 18 to 20 somethings do, but overall, what an incredible place to be.

What's the hardest thing about freshman year?

The hardest thing about freshman year is learning how to manage your time. It is so easy to get caught up in the social scene here; there is always something fun going on, people to see, and things to do. Once you learn how to balance the academic with the social, you are golden.

How often should I phone home? Is once a day too much?

That's really a question you have to answer for yourself. There will be days where you have time for an hour long catch-up, and other days where you will be scrambling to get five minutes to yourself to think. Personally, I speak to my mom every day, but I have friends who have great relationships with their parents who speak to them once a week!

I don't drink. Will it be hard for me to go to parties?

Honestly, no. You don't have to drink to have fun, but be warned that a lot of students do choose to drink at parties. That's not just a Wake thing though; you will find that on every campus, unless the school is dry and does not allow alcohol on campus.

I wish that someone would have told me that it is really hard to wash dishes, cups, and flatware in the dorm bathrooms.

When you step off campus what do you see?

Really, it depends on which exit you take. Just kidding. But for the most part, the exits lead to large roads which run through our small town of Winston-Salem. When you're not in a car and you can take the walking path, you get to stroll through our gorgeous gardens into quaint Reynolda Village for a great cup of coffee, a bit of shopping, or insane chocolates!

Why did you decide to go to this school?

Interestingly enough, I transferred into Wake Forest. I was looking at Wake along with Vandy, Northwestern, Emory, and other schools, but Wake stuck out. Unfortunately, I never got to visit Wake's campus before committing, but I did see the other schools. Something just wasn't right. When I set foot on campus on orientation day, I just knew. I have never second guessed my decision, and I know I made the right choice. I have been afforded incredible opportunities, met some of the best in the business, studied abroad under British professors that students claw to meet, and made the dean's list multiple times at one of the best undergraduate institutions in the nation. Wake can give you opportunities like very few other schools. Take the chances that this school and give you and use them to your advantage.

Unless you like being a social security number instead of a name, you can't hate the class size here. The largest class I've had held about forty students and the smallest I've been in had eight. The average class size probably lingers around fifteen to twenty. This creates a fairly warm and inviting atmosphere in which to express your opinion. Don't be fooled though, just because it's cozy, doesn't mean that it isn't competitive! No one will try to sabotage your grade, but be prepared for them to compare what you got to what they got when you get your exams back! Everyone gets a rough professor that does what they want because they have tenure, but for every one professor that you have that you don't like, you'll have eight that you adore and hold a relationship with even after you turn in your final.

The stereotype lends an interested student to believe that we are all well-dressed, Type A, fairly athletic, and heavily involved in Greek life. Most people at Wake Forest fit into at least one of these categories, but it would be a travesty to think that we can all fall in the same mold. There is something interesting about every student, but it is fair to say that the majority of our students are driven.

Justine

If I could go back to my senior year of high school I would have told myself to take it more seriously. To not focus so much on having the "best senior year" and more on where I was going to end up next. I would tell myself to take harder classes ask more questions about college and worried more about where I was going to end up verse living in the moment. I would say JUstine you can have a great senior year and an even better future at a wonderful 4 year University if you just balance out a little better your school work and your fun time.

If I could go back in time and talk to my high school self, I would tell her to not worry so much. I would tell her that college isn't as scary as everyone makes it out to be. I would tell myself that as long as you keep on top of your homework and take good notes in class then good grades are sure to follow. The teachers aren't as cut throat as I thought they would be. They can be understanding of situations, and most of them are willing to work with you. In all actuality college is like high school. The only differences are that your classmates can be of any age, there are no detentions or calls to your parents, and you make your own class schedules. There are also a lot of different offices with different purposes there that can help you with any problems you're facing. Above anything else I would tell her to stop worrying about what could go wrong in the future, and start working on those scholarships. College is fun, but it can be a little pricey.

Eldridge

My classmates are very helpful, fun to be around, and caring.

My classmates are very helpful, fun to be around, and caring.

I would give myself some valuable advice knowing what I know now about the college life and making the transition. First, I would tell myself to study hard because Wake Forest University is a prestigious ivory league school you might as well say and test are way more difficult and is mainly the majority of your grade in that particular course. Next, I would give myself the advice of ALWAYS working hard and expecting the unexpected. However, I would tell myself to be prepared for every class meeting and to stay organized at all times, because that goes a long way in college. Also I must say that you should manage your time wisely. You should focus on each one of your classes in its entirety, but do not spend hours and hours studying every single night. Importantly, you should get to know your professor personally, because that could help clarify any questions that you may have. Yet, focusing on my school work I would give myself the advice of joining organizations or clubs on campus. Lastly, I must say that the last bit of advice that I would give myself is study first and socialize second.

Wake Forest University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.