Winston-Salem, NC
Wake Forest University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Wake Forest University

Allison

To be honest, I do not think that I would give any advice to myself as a high school senior. College is meant to be a mystery to crack and a challenge to match. The most important part about college is learning to explore new opportunities. During these four years, students truly develop a sense of self, and establish what their purpose in life is. Receiving advice on how to handle college would only skew a high school senior's destined path. It is up to the student to decide how to organize and study, how to become involved in activities, and how to interact with peers and professors. While older students can lead by example, incoming freshmen must venture on their own endeavors without their hands held and without shortcuts; in this way, as future college graduates, students can reflect on their undergraduate years as truly unique and personal experiences.

I wish I had known how much the school had to offer in the research field. I did not make use of this resource until my junior year, but if I had been more aware of it before coming to Wake Forest, I would have made sure to participate in research earlier in my college career.

Caroline

This is always a funny question to answer. From where I am from, most people don't really know Wake Forest other than it's academic reputation. I would have to say that the stereotype for WFU is that attending students are wealthy, smart, and close-minded. It's difficult to fully agree with this statement. As a rather intelligent student with a 3.3 in the Neuroscience Program, I feel that there are very smart people at this school; however, I feel as if there are some students that do not possess such caliber of a "typical" Wake Forest student. It is true that most students here are very aware of their grades while cognizant of their position in the social spotlight. In terms of academia, the study body is often very focused on grades. As for the social aspect, it is true that that the student body is heavily involved with Greek Life. As a non-Greek member of the Wake Forest community, I can honestly say that being non-Greek has had no effect on my ability to form new friendships. As for others, it seems that Greek is the way to go; but being non-Greek is fine as well. I want to stress that not all students at Wake Forest fall under the same category. Much like other schools, there are different groups and interests. Although Wake Forest is definitely a smaller school, there are still plenty of opportunities for incoming students to get involved.

The typical stereotype of a Wake Forest student is a rich, white fraternity-affiliated student. While there are a number of students who fit this description on campus, there are many students that do not. Students come from all over the country to come to Wake Forest and thus represent various backgrounds. Socioeconomic status, ethnicity, sexual orientation, and political attitudes vary among the students. There is always a bit of truth in every stereotype, but that does not mean that Wake Forest has one-specific type of student. It would not be regarded as a prestigious institution if it did.

Lindsey

The best thing about Wake Forest: BEAUTIFUL CAMPUS What I, personally, would change: The elitist and ridiculous process of being admitted into the social stratosphere known as GREEK LIFE School size: If you're trying to avoid someone, you can't. You'll probably see them at least 3 times per week Reactions: When I tell people I go to Wake Forest, generally they know it's a Top 25-ranked university Time well-spent: THE ZSR aka the LIBRARY. We have had an open relationship since my freshman year here. College town: Fallacious Administration: Natty O. is our president. Sometimes I see him, most of the time I get his emails which he may or may not actually write himself. Controversy on campus; In order of most controversial, 1) Greek life, 2) Politics, 3) What party to go to on Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, and Saturday nights, and 4) On which floor of the library should I study today? School pride: Black and Gold. Mainly at basketball games. Football games are apparently for Lilly Pulitzer dresses and Vineyard Vine button-downs Unusual things: the high number of girls with eating disorders and the dearth of boyfriend-girlfriend relationships. Hook-ups are prominent Experience I'll remember: Creating a team for Hit-the-Bricks to raise money for cancer research Student complaints- THE PIT (cafeteria) gets old real fast, not enough seats available in the library, TOO MUCH WORK, not enough alcohol

What's the Greek scene like?

Everywhere. Stifling. Preppy. Wealthy. Some are sorostitutes, some aren't. I suppose it'd be bad to mention specifics here lol. Some think they're frat starts, only some ARE frat stars. You may have some very nice girls, but they might be underrated and considered jokes. You may have some seemingly nice girls, but they'll bitch behind your back and back stab you in a heartbeat. You may have some very nice frat boys...generally this is fallacious information lol, but I've come across a few exceptions. You may have some seemingly nice frat boys, but really they're probably (for the purposes of this post we'll use a safe word) jerks. But maybe the readers of this post and I have contrasting viewpoints concerning the definitions of 'nice' but who knows.

Generally, preppy. I'm warning those of you who DON'T dress in the following apparel to be aware that you will either a) stick to your own personal style and decide to become a clone of the cookie-cutter look or b) conform. Either way, no worries. So back to my point, ahem. In the summer, girls are in Lilly shorts and vineyard vines tops or vice versa. Boys ooze frat appeal in Polo, Vineyard Vines, Lacoste, etc. So there you have preppy; I suppose we're also stereotyped as being smart AND as coming from Daddy's money...and while this stereotype holds true for what SEEMS like 99% of the student population, it's not completely accurate.

What are some hot-button issues on campus?

POLITICS. I have a lot of poli-sci friends, don't get me wrong, but don't get into a debate with them on who's going to be the next president or the best president. The issue of gays is also an issue in that some people are severely anti-gay and others are UBER pro-gay. It only becomes a problem when dumb frat boys vandalize belongs and graffiti profanity on gays' doors. Don't worry, those frats have been severly punished. They haven't been removed from campus (UNFORTUNATELY), but they have been reprimanded for their heinous insults.

Describe a day on campus you'll never forget.

My Freshman year. January, Spring 2009. Our basketball team won against UNC-Chapel Hill by 1 POINT. It seemed like the entirety of our student body was at the Coliseum rooting on our Deacs. After our win, we rushed the court and jumped up and down screaming for what seemed like hours. Then we all rushed back to campus and TP-ed the quad (we call it Rolling the Quad). The amount of cheering people on that quad was absolutely unreal. SO FANTASTIC to have that sort of bonding experience with peers and people you didn't know. I was hugging random strangers and cheering on our victory. The next day it looked like it had snowed solely on our quad...obviously it was a lot of cheap toilet paper found in the dorms, but it was AWESOME

Tell us about the sports scene on campus.

Football- an excuse to tailgate and drink to excess. And then possibly watch the game. While drunk. Some die-hard football fans stay for the entire game. Basketball- Way more fun to watch because it's more fast-paced. I swear I like it more because I'm ADD and I need to be entertained. Constantly. Soccer- Apparently both our men's and women's soccer teams are excellent. The men made it to the ACC championships in 2008. Volleyball-.......................................... Lacrosse.................................... Cross-country/track- these people are beasts Women's Field Hockey- Apparently they're REALLY GOOD too. Tennis-............no idea. Baseball- the guys are super hot. But the team's record isn't that hot. I probably forgot some other teams, but if I did it probably means they're rather insignificant

Tell us about the food and dining options.

The Pit. Benson. Shorty's. The Sundry. Subway. Starbucks. Off-campus dining. So let's start with the most common option that involves the infamous meal-plan. THE PIT. Formally known as the Fresh Food Co. (NO ONE calls it that or you're labeled an idiot for life), the Pit is the one and only cafeteria on our campus. It has a salad bar, Southern Kitchen ('cause obviously...we're a Southern school), grill, wrap/sandwich line, omelet station, endless pizza station, DESSERT BAR. That's that. I basically only eat lunch at the Pit, and I probs eat there 4 times per week. Benson includes Chik-fil-a, Boar's head, and Zoca. Chik-fil-a is obviously delicious, but watch out it HEAVILY INFLUENCES the freshman 15. Boar's Head has good wraps. Zoca is disgusting. Don't go there. It might be Mexican food, but it's definitely not Chipotle. Or Moe's....not even Qdoba. Shorty's is our school's own restaurant. It's not bad. Pretty delish actually. And they have beer and sangria specials. The Sundry is like a mini grocery store. The only decent food there includes protein bars and sushi. And cereal. Starbucks is obviously mainly for coffee, but if you want to gorge on delicious pastries like I did my freshman year, go for it. I'd recommend the vanilla scones, the blueberry scones, and the apple fritters (but they're legit like 700 calories apiece). Off-campus dining is the most fun option. Details to come later.

Why did you decide to go to this school?

When I toured the campus the summer before my senior year in high school, I fell in love with the beautiful architecture and its small size. And, of course, there was the minute detail that I actually got accepted here (aka GOT A PACKET) instead of other academically-challenging universities (aka GOT LETTERS, plural, OF REJECTION)

What do students complain about most?

The monotony of Pit (the cafeteria) food. The amount of time spend on studying/homework. Their hangovers. The endless line at Starbucks. The lack of available space in the library during finals week. The fact that they're not drunk while in class. Grades on papers and tests. THEY'RE SO TIRED. They don't get enough sleep. They haven't had their coffee yet. The list is endless, truly.

What are the most popular classes offered?

Well, let's see. RAD is pretty popular. Anything that doesn't require actual work. So tennis, ice-skating, social dance, and my personal favorite, tai chi...which I have yet to try. I hear the class Learning to Learn is pretty laid-back too...I mean look at the title, LEARNING TO LEARN!

Describe a typical weekend.

Weekends go by fast. Before you know it it's Christmas break. Anyways, back to the topic: typical weekends: Friday after classes end, one of two things can happen: a) you start raging STAT. b) you hit the library until dinner time. That night, there's a 95% chance you'll be raging unless you have procrastinated on a ton of work and it's due on the following Monday. Where will you be Friday night...not to mention Saturday night? options: a) in your dorm because you're a socially awkward frosh. b) at a cool frat party off-campus, c) at a decently cool frat on-campus in a lounge, d) at a lame frat party somewhere, idc where, e) at an apartment party with friends and acquaintances, f) at a local bar if you're of the magnificent age of 21.

What's the dating scene like?

OK, so here's the dealio. In general, the people here don't date. Why? I have no idea; however, the exceptions include the following: 1) people here who have significant others generally have been dating them since high school. 2) IF a student here has a significant other, there is a 95% chance they go to another university besides Wake Forest. 3) Hook-ups are prevalent. They occur a lot. I'm pretty sure it's because frat boys don't want to be tied down. They need options. Every weekend. 4) There are exceptions; I dated someone from here once. Are we still together? Nope. 5) Religious persons here generally gravitate toward one another. My ex-best friend is now engaged. She's only been dating this dude for 9 months. Too soon? Dumb question. 6) Attn boys: if you're planning on dating your girl through senior year, SHE WILL EXPECT A RING BEFORE SPRING. So start saving. Or break up. You're probably too immature to get married at age 21 anyways.

Is the stereotype of students at Wake accurate? OBVIOUSLY. This school is chalk full of rich snobs who think they're entitled. It's hilarious, but true. Besides, only some of us belong at this Top-25-ranked university; there are some unintelligent humans here; I'm pretty sure their parents may have bribed the admissions office...

Where is the best place to get work done on campus?

"Doing work" can be translated as twittering, facebooking, taking multiple starbucks breaks, or sometimes actually studying. The best place to get work done depends on the kind of work you're doing. For me, if I just have some light reading or easy assignment to do, I'll go to Starbucks or Campus Grounds (the university's own coffee shop). If I have mad studying to do or I have to write a 15 pager, I hit up the library. The 8th floor is my jam, but I also like the red room because there are outlets at every table.

Describe the dorms.

Dorms- let's see, they're different every year depending on which side of campus you're on. So freshman year, I lived in Johnson Hall. It's the oldest dorm on campus, but I didn't really have any problems. And thank the LORD that all of the dorms are air-conditioned. August in NC is HOT and HUMID. The rooms are pretty tiny, not going to lie, but if you have a decent roommate, it's not so bad. The frosh year dorms are on the south quad, so they're uber close to classes aka if you only wake up 5 min before class, you can still make it to class. Sophomore year I lived in Taylor Hall- it was more like a suite of rooms instead of hall-style. But they're pretty much the same. We lived near the sig chi lounge, so sometimes it was loud, but we dealt. We had the occasional cockroach or mold issue, but trust me, those are normal. Fire alarms were quite frequent though. Every dorm has THAT problem.

What are your classes like?

As a general rule, I really like my classes...I mean I ought to, they're classes for my majors, English and French. But as to what my classes are "like"? They are generally around 18-25 students per class, class participation is generally mandatory, but that's okay because you get to show off your smarts with witty comments. Classes are either 50 minutes long/ 3x a week, OR 1hr15min classes/twice a week. I prefer 50 minutes classes...mainly because I swear I'm slightly ADD and I can't keep focus for that long.

Most popular student group of all time: Greek life sororities and fraternities. Second most popular- Student Union. I'm involved with the Learning Assistance Center tutoring program. I tutor French because I love it, and most of my "tutees" need help because their professors are grammar nazis. Students leave doors open- there's a fifty-fifty chance that your stuff will be fine or will be stolen. Athletic events are popular in different ways- football games: primarily for tailgates, and basketball games; primarily for cheering on the Deacs. Guest speakers are the shit; Joe Biden talked at the 2008 class graduation. Emily Giffen, one of my favorite authors, spoke here. Too bad I was studying abroad in Paris at the time. Dating scene: almost non-existent unless one has a significant other they've been dating since high school. Most people jut hook up. My closest friends I met randomly. One was a friend of a friend, and one I met at the gym. If Im awake at 2am on a Tuesday, I'm doing homework or studying. What a shocker. Traditions and events: Shag on the Mag- it's a dance, not sex. Homecoming- people get dressed up and dressed down after they get schwasted. Lighting of the Quad- Christmas tree gets lit up. Delicious cider is served. Big deal. People party a lot because we're so stressed out and drinking helps us de-stress and forget about out 25page papers for a while. Frats/Sororities: be in one or be ostracized. Last weekend, I hosted a Christmas party and I made Peppermint Schnapps hot chocolate. It was delectable. On a Saturday night, if you prefer not to drink, DON'T GO OUT SOBER. Go to the movies or do some more homework. Off campus, I go thrift-store shopping, go on booze runs, or go on the occasional date if I'm lucky.

Greeks tend to be anti-gay. Religious people sorta suck. They ostracize you as much as the Greeks do. An artsy student might feel out of place here, but the arts department is brilliant in its productions, especially in their comedy troupe, the Lilting Banshees. Most students aka sorority girls and frat boys wear Lilly Pulitzer dresses or polos, respectively, and in the winter, the girls wear spandex leggings, a sweatshirt, and Uggs, while guys wear...more POLO and Vineyard Vine apparel. Different types of students don't interact. It's like an unspoken rule or something. At any given time at 4 different tables of students, there will be a) a table of Asians...who speak Asian, b) sorority girls who have very high-pitched voices and continuously chatter about who they hooked up with 6 months ago, c) jocks. they don't talk- they watch ESPN, and finally d) the rest of us- non-Greeks who are generally genial people. Most students here come from money. They spend Daddy's money. They show off their money through their wardrobe choices. Financial backgrounds- 2 sides: either super well-off or people who need scholarships and will have loans coming out of their asses when they graduate. Surprisingly, the student body is split right down the middle, 50/50, when it comes to being liberal or conservative in regards to politics. You have two groups of students in regards to future income: A) those of us who major in what we LOVE so we'll be HAPPY later on. WE don't care too much about income. B) Those who major in Finance so they can be head-honchos on Wall Street by the time they're 25. They hate their lives, but they want moolah.

Professors generally know your name unless they're super old and have a hard time remembering. My favorite class this semester is Shakespeare; my professor is a BOSS. My least favorite class was Calculus. I failed. Students study a lot; we have to. We're constantly updating facebook and twitter accounts about retarded things that happen to us in the library. Class participation is a must. Students aren't intellectual outside of class- we have a crap ton of work all the time, that's why we rage so much. Students can be competitive depending on the major. The most unique class I've taken was the World of Opera; it was my freshman year seminar, and I absolutely loved it...even if I had to listen to Don Giovanni at 8am. I'm double majoring in English and French. The English department is awesome, intelligent, and biased. The French department is miniscule; I want to get my PhD in History so I can teach French history here. I go to lunch and get coffee with professors on the reg. Academic requirements are tough, but this is a great academic university. Deal with the hardships. You'll live. Our Career Services Dept is awesome at helping students find jobs after graduation. I would know, I'm on their student committee.

The stereotype of students at my university includes but is not limited to the following: sorostitutes, frat stars, ostracized geeds, crazy-intellectual Asians, religious hypocrites, and the high-on-cloud-nine debate team

Brittney

The best thing about Wake Forest University is the people. The workers, the professors, your fellow classmates, everyone is on the same page as you to make campus a great place. The size of the school is just right for someone like me who likes a lot of people but not too many where you feel lost. I spend most of my time on campus in the library since that is also where my work study and Starbucks is. Winston-Salem is not a huge college town but it is growing with at least three other colleges and a downtown area. There's definitely a lot of school pride in campus events including athletics. Being here you definitely will be proud to be a Demon Deacon!

When you step off campus what do you see?

When you step off campus you see what I like to call a nice country-city! It's spacious and beautiful like a country town with a lot of land and good weather, yet plenty of businesses and things to do like in a big city. Around campus is a lot of shopping, restaurants, and apartment complexes full of college students.

Tell us about the sports scene on campus.

The sports scene on campus is insane! Every sport has fans whether it be the ACC Football and Basketball team or the Club Frisbee team. There are so many sports to play and watch you have no choice but to stay active. And since Wake Forest has had many great athletes don't be surprise if your favorite professional player stops by on campus for an event like the Josh Howard or Chris Paul Celebrity Basketball games.

Just like it's name, Wake is not one of those campuses that is located in the center of a city. It is a very pretty, secluded campus surrounded by tress that feels like you are really in a forest. But that;s on the outskirts, the main campus also has two quads (the main quad and the lower quad) where you attend class and can grab food. Then there's the dorms with freshman living on South Campus and upperclassmen living on North Campus. The roads on campus basically form a big oval with 3 different entrances and construction on a business school.

What are your classes like?

My classes consist of 3 English major courses (African American Fiction, African American Poetry, and 18th century British Literature). They are so interesting but a lot of reading and a lot of paper writing. The Writing Center is my best resource besides my professor's office hours on handling everything.

A big part of being a Demon Deacon is supporting athletics. Football games and basketball games are especially a huge deal. But there is an chance for everyone to find a sport they love from Rugby to Frisbee. Being a theatre minor theater I am partial to the performance arts at Wake like the plays, singing and dance concerts. The closest friends are usually met freshman year in your hall or dorm. There's a lot of studying but also time for fun like Wake Wednesday when frats throw theme parties and a shuttle that runs students to downtown bars. Most events are located on campus though, we call it the "Wale Forest Bubble" we don't leave too frequently.

Being an African American female you would think it would be hard to be in the minority here at Wake Forest University. But there is really a group for everyone here at WFU regardless of your race, religion or believes. I've attended meetings of everything from the Black Student Alliance to the Young Democrats. I feel like every student could feel at place here in this school. The thing is to try new things and not be confined to one group because Wake offers many opportunities for interaction but it's up to the students to take them. We all come from different places but have the same goals to be successful after we leave the University.

Carlos

The campus is utterly breathtaking. The historic architecture set against the progressive backdrop of the seasons is just plain easy on the eyes. In terms of size, if you live on campus you avoid that winded feeling of a marathon runner you might get traveling between classes on a larger campus because everything is relatively close. Even on the worst days it takes 10 minutes at most to get to your farthest class. Yet you never feel smothered or cloistered by the people or surroundings. I'd say Wake Forest hits a relative sweet spot in terms of size. The quality you'll be most thankful for is the low student to teacher ratio. Learning is much more engaging when it has the chance to be interactive. The library is amazingly huge and has an in-house Starbucks that is a godsend on some days, and a computer trouble-shooting office. Wake Forest does a great job of accommodating students' needs. I've seldom had difficulty getting something done. Some detractions are that if you don't have a car there's isn't any good social hotspots nearby and social events on campus are largely directed at frats and sororities.

There's a large association with greek life, though this doesn't reach the level of rambunctiousness typified in movies and television. The statistic is that almost half of students belong to some greek association, hence many social events revolve around them which is maybe why there's such a large percentage. Another stereotype is that many of the kids here come from wealthy, old money families and are pretentious. While this is mostly true, the pretentiousness is only true on the rarest of occasions.

The most popular organizations are fraternities or sororities, though there are many groups dedicated to community service. The Wake Forest motto is Pro Humanitate so there's always some type of outreach or community service program/organization, which draws in large numbers of students. There are really several clubs to join, even something as obscure as water-rafting or meditation. It's doubtful you won't find something that you're interested in. I write for the school newspaper and help with the literary magazine, both things i vastly enjoy. The only problem is that i'd like to join more clubs but just don't have the time. If you're an incoming freshman, making friends is relatively easy and the dorms are generally sociable. Though as a transfer student there's definitely more work and initiative necessary to build a social circle. Athletic events are hugely popular here, especially tail-gating. If you're not involved in a fraternity or sorority it will be difficult to find social events on campus but if you have a car there are several things to do in town. Wake Forest also offers a shuttle service into town as well. Much of my time is spent attending club activities, going to lectures, presentation, or documentary screenings, and writing (sounds nerdy, but is in all honesty a blast to me). There is also the occasional game or party. There are many traditions here at Wake Forest, many of them dry and boring in themselves, but serve as excellent social frames for meeting people and spending time with friends. Some of the famous traditions are teepeeing the quad and Hit the Bricks, a fundraiser in which you complete circles around the quad with a bag full of bricks (no really, it's fun).

My experiences have met with little friction in terms of race, religious beliefs, socio-economic conditions, etc. Though this school isn't as racially diverse as its pamphlets may try to convey. The school is mostly white, middle to upper class kids from around the area. Though there are some fragmented groups of minorities that tend to obscure themselves from the population by choice. Though if you're a minority and looking to find more people with a similar culture then it may not be the place you're looking for. Many students here are fairly well off so there might be some separation in that respect, but that kind of discrimination is hardly present. There's no real expectation as to what you should wear. People dress as casually or professionally as they please. Some of this might also be dictated by the types of classes they take. There are politically active associations so politics is definitely students are cognizant of, most tending to be right-leaning. Money and future professional success are large motivating factors here. There's definitely a liberal arts community here that's interested in issues, arts, and society, but more so students are inclined to getting well-paid, professionally respectable jobs like a lawyer or doctor. By no means am i discouraging the artistic or liberal-minded individual. There is a place here for you as well. The different tables at dinner are largely determined by what organizations you belong to (mostly greek), but some other categories are groups of minorities, an intellectual/artistic crowd, and athletes.

A good percentage of the time professors will know your name. Classes tend to be small so there is an expectation for you to participate. If you're looking for it, you will run into people willing to engage in intellectual conversations. Many of the people here are receptive, thoughtful, and curious about your views (if you have any). Studying makes up a large part of the academic culture here. True story, i've seen people reading textbooks while doing sit-ups and walking on the treadmill at the gym. So this is definitely a place intended for the intellectually curious and disciplined. I'm double majoring in English and Philosophy and it's inspiring to see how cultured and learned the professors are in each department, and others as well. Many speak more than one language and have an intimate knowledge of topics peripheral to their field. Though there are somewhat high expectations so be ready to be challenged. Much of Wake Forest's intentions are geared toward making sure you have opportunities to succeed, which means they provide many connections for job placement. Several students secure jobs soon after graduating.

Rachael

Like the students it attracts and accepts, Wake is well-rounded. It's small enough to form relationships with professors, to never walk around without seeing someone you know, to guarantee on-campus housing, to network, and to reach any part of campus in under ten minutes . It's big enough to always meet new people, to attract professors highly-involved in the professional world, to compete competitively in sports, to host top graduate programs, and to call Maya Angelou our own. When you say you go to Wake Forest, people are impressed. Oftentimes though, they can't quite remember where it is. That would be Winston-Salem, NC, known for Hanes Brand and tobacco but not known so much as a college town--which is probably one of the main complaints consistently heard from Wake students in addition to the Campus Police's incompetence to deal reasonably and consistently with on-campus drinking. In a most recent discussion with Administration, students complained that if the school wants to move parties safely back to campus, there needs to be a safe, fun place to drink on campus. Impressively, the Administration immediately answered with new social venue, "The Barn"--success to be determined, perhaps. In the meantime, many students enjoy mild socializing in on-campus locations such as Starbucks, dorm lounges and courtyards, as well as my personal favorite hangout: student-run coffee shop, Campus Grounds. There's someplace for everyone--even if it is one of the seven floors of the ZSR library (which is often the case.)

What are your classes like?

As an English major, my classes are small (10-20 students) and largely discussion-based. Any intro classes that I've taken (100 level) have been larger (20-30 students)--science and math intro classes being much larger in size and lecture-based (around 30-80 students). Overall, my upper-level classes (300 level) are challenging but no class has ever been unmanageable without help from my professors. Course load is everything. My discernment of the number combination of classes that I want to take in a semester has been crucial to how stressful and enjoyable the classes have been--and to my success in those classes.

Work Forest: work hard, play hard. Admittedly, I was intimidated by this play on words as an incoming Freshman. However, from my experience, I've found that professors' willingness to invest in students often counteracts the somewhat daunting work load characteristic of a "Top 25" university. It's not uncommon for professors to invite students into their homes for dinner. My professors know my name and care whether or not I participate in class--especially as an English major. Even my "pre-med" friends, who have larger, lecture-style classes, value their one-on-one relationships with professors as an essential part of class--which also speaks to the difficulty and demand of the pre-med track. As far as I can tell, pre-med students, as well as Calloway Business School students, study more than anyone else on campus. These departments are especially geared towards getting jobs whereas I find that humanities departments are geared more towards learning for learning's sake. However, regardless of department, students are competitive. We are also required to dabble in all areas of academics thanks to a liberal arts curriculum. For this reason, I've taken unexpectedly unique classes such as my freshman seminar, Life Perspectives. Based on psychology, this class revolved around a variety of books and memoirs that express different world views. The class was made up of all types of majors and backgrounds but proved driven by the same Wake academic spirit of eager discussion and desire to place learning in the larger context of life. At Work Forest, this learning spirit is summed up in our mission: Pro Humanitate--for humanity.

The most rampant stereotype of Wake students boils down to two words: "Preppy" and "Frat". This stereotype is based on the large percentage of the student population belonging to a Greek organization--a percentage that feels much greater than that advertised by the Admissions Office. In truth, the social vibrancy of the campus almost entirely revolves around Frat parties and Sorority functions; and, if you were to take a stroll around campus, you wouldn't be able to deny the prevalence of labels such as J.Crew and Polo. Even so, these characteristics are fruits of Wake's Southern charm. Friendliness and hospitality are as much a part of this stereotype; and, student-to-student, the stereotype of a Demon Deacon extends to exceptionally ambitious and driven. We don't call it Work Forest for nothing.

Kendall

It's true that Greek life is a major part of the social scene at Wake. Since it is so prominent, there is also a pretty obvious divide between Greeks and non-Greeks. Individual chapters, however, are a lot smaller than at bigger state schools, so it is much more common that people have friends outside of their Greek organization. Wake students in general are involved in a multitude of activities around campus and in the Winston-Salem community, so even those that decide not to join Greek life can find their niche.

Wake students are driven individuals and the work load at Wake reflects that. All majors are rigorous and require a lot of work outside of class. It's not unusual for the ZSR library to be completely filled most nights. Most students would agree that if you work, you get a B. A's are much harder to come by. Luckily, Wake has a great faculty that, for the most part, is willing to meet outside of class to help students. As an English major, most of my professors have even required scheduling a meeting with them once or twice throughout the semester. Class sizes are small and strictly lecture style classes are rare. In my experience, professors are interested in facilitating class discussion and participation is almost always an important part of my final grade. Also, since Wake is a liberal arts school, students are required to complete a series of divisional courses that extend to all the major areas of study provided at Wake. Sometimes this can be a little frustrating when it requires an English major, like me, to take classes like statistics and physics, but I think it also requires you to be more well-rounded, which in turn makes you more eligible in job markets.

Morgan

The most prevalent stereotype on the Wake Forest campus is "the frat star". This is due to the university's large Greek Life population. Nearly 45% of students participate in a Greek organization. This means there are a lot of kids on campus wearing frat attire: Polos, Sperrys, Vineyard Vines, Lilly Pulitzer, Frey boots, etc. They also have big parties off campus that are attended by many students both Greek and non-Greek. Some parents and prospective students may view this as a negative. They may think that Fraternities and Sororities are a distraction and believe they will inhibit a student’s academic achievements. This may be true at other universities but it does not hold true at Wake Forest. As a senior at Wake Forest University and a member of Greek Life, I can tell you that the Greek Students at WFU are also some the most involved and influential people on campus. Their organization might be important to them but it does not define them. Sorority women are involved in club sports as well as varsity soccer, field hockey, and cheer teams. They participate in Wake Radio, Wake TV, and student Government. They are also in many theater and dance performances. The All-Sorority GPA average (3.2) is typically higher than the All-Women GPA average on campus. This is due to the strong support system that sororities create for their members. Sororities also emphasize the importance of academic excellence and often reward their members for their achievements. Fraternity men are just as active. Many are student trustees or student advisers. Some are in student government, others play club soccer, lacrosse, and rugby. They are also involved with habitat for humanity and the rape prevention group called Prepare. The Universities biggest philanthropy fundraisers are: Hit the Bricks, Wake n' Shake, and Rush for the Cure. This year all three had were chaired by members of a Greek organization. All Greek organizations require their members to be involved in at least one of activity outside of Greek life. They also require members to maintain an acceptable grade point average. If a students GPA drops too low they will be released from the organization. It is obvious that Greek students make up a large part of the student body. However there is also a diverse group of students who remain independent. These students are all unique individuals and are just as influential on campus. They run clubs and other organizations just like members in the Greek Community. Actually, most the time Greeks and Non-Greeks are working side by side to put together big campus events. The fact that a student is not involved in Greek Life will not lessen their experience at WFU. They will form just as many lasting friendships. They will also have equal opportunities in all extracurricular events. Wake Forest is much more than colorful polos and Sperrys. Whether you are Greek or not, there is a place for you on Wake’s campus. The small size brings people together and allows students to get involved with a variety of activities. Yes there are stereotypes but they do not truly represent the diverse spirit of Wake Forest.

Leah

Wake Forest has a large Greek population, with about 50% of students in fraternities and sororities. Each fraternity and Sorority has its own stereotype, which becomes apparent after one spends time on campus. However, there are plenty of unaffiliated students, and a large amount of clubs and activities that each attract their own "type". As a school with Division 1 athletics, there'd is a "clique" of athletes, and we have theme housing which allows for a variety of groups to form.

Wake Forest University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.