Wake Forest University

« See more reviews of Wake Forest University

Is very white, upper middle class, and from either New Jersey, North Carolina, Florida, or Texas. (you get the point.) Probably the two biggest surprises that I had when coming to wake were how much of a New England presence there is on campus, and then having to buy like 5 more sundresses. The school may be in the south, but beware: sometimes it seems like everyone is from Jersey (where they say "water" funny and don't pump their own gas.... as they will all tell you). Also, New Jersey is basically all white, so Wake is actually diverse for them, which is weird. Students are generally very politically apathetic, and come from conservative backgrounds.

Being an African American female you would think it would be hard to be in the minority here at Wake Forest University. But there is really a group for everyone here at WFU regardless of your race, religion or believes. I've attended meetings of everything from the Black Student Alliance to the Young Democrats. I feel like every student could feel at place here in this school. The thing is to try new things and not be confined to one group because Wake offers many opportunities for interaction but it's up to the students to take them. We all come from different places but have the same goals to be successful after we leave the University.

Wake is a somewhat homogeneous university, there is no way to deny that. Students are generally white, preppy and in the Greek system. Alternative lifestyles do stick out like a sore thumb here. Girls generally dress up for class, and a scrubby day consists of jeans, a sorority T-shirt, and pearls. Guys wear a lot of polo shirts. The athletes are their own little group, separate from those is the Greek system. Students at Wake come to school to get a good education, in hopes of having a high earning potential. If you want to join the Peace Corps after graduation, you may want to re-evaluate attending Wake Forest.

Overall, a larger percentage of students on campus come from more traditional, conservative backgrounds. A lot of students also dress preppier--guys will wear polos/oxfords, girls will wear sundresses--but there are plenty of people who wear t-shirts and/or gym shorts because it's what they like and what feels comfortable. On campus, there isn't an overwhelming "southern" feel just because students are from all over the place. There are a lot of students from the Carolinas, but sometimes it feels as if there are as many people from New Jersey (including me) as there are from North Carolina.

My classmates are exceedingly kind and generous. I am originally from Alabama, so I used to classic Southern hospitality, but most Northerners say that Wake Forest hospitality is what drew them to the school. I am pre-med and I have never felt that the school was overly competitive. The average Wake Forest student works extremely hard academically, volunteers in free time, has involvement in Greek life, involvement in a religious group, and has some leadership role. I like to think of the students as both kind and extremely driven. It is a beautiful school (guys and girls).

Wake's student body is prodominantly white, there's no getting around that. Wake seriously lacks diversity, but it doesn't make it a worse school I have learned more about myself from the people I have met this year than I ever thought I could, so I don't think that the lack of diversity is really that big an issue. As far as what kind of student would fit in well at wake, I would probably say that someone who is not too alternative, but yet has a edge and seeks fun and adventurous things because Wake will certainly give you plenty of opportunities to have a good time.

There's so many different groups on campus, but overall, it is a less diverse school than say, a large state school. I think it is safe to say that most student and families are conservative, yet there is a large liberal population as well. Groups overlap all the time, so you don't see too many stereotypes of groups around campus...they all intermingle rather than form cliques.

Wake is fairly homogeneous as far as the student body goes. Most of the minorities tend to stick together in their own teams, sororities, etc. There isn't any tension, the groups just tend not to associate with each other. Anyone overweight would probably feel out of place at Wake. Many students do dress well, but just as many wear hoodies and sweatpants regularly.

My classmates are very intelligent and participate in class often. Their personalities are all unique, but they share many similarities. They all work very hard with school and many of the play hard on the weekends. They get their work done even if that means taking away a few hours of sleep. They are very organized and on top of their work and extracurriculars.

Everyone is the same for the most part. Anyone who isnt a preppy, upper-middle to high class, white, thin, smart individual. ~ Preppy or nice clothes. ~ No not really. ~ Basketball players, football players, sorority tables, fraternity tables. ~ South or Northeast. ~ Upper-middle to Upper class. ~ Yes politically aware ~ Predominantly Right ~ Yes.