Wake Forest University

« See more reviews of Wake Forest University

They are friendly and warm heart

.asodhf;aoijf a

Being Jewish, I sometimes feel out of place in the primarily Christian student body. Once in a while I have felt singled out because of my religion, but it does not come up in the student body very often. I know that racist and homophobic sentiments definitely exist on campus, which really upsets me. We're college students and should know better than to be so ignorant. I do not notice problems between those with a high socioeconomic status and those with a low socioeconomic status on campus. An extremely liberal, outspoken, gay, Northern, non-Christian person of low socioeconomic status might feel out of place at Wake! Each of these characteristics, which Wake students to embody, is accepted by the student body. This liberal, outspoken, gay, Northern non-Christian without a lot of money would be accepted at Wake, but may feel out of place if he/she is not comfortable with him or herself. Most students wear jeans, tee shirts and fleeces to class. Some women get dressed up to look stylish and some men will dress more formally. People will wear what is comfortable, for the most part. Different types of students do interact sometimes, but there is segregation between athletes/non-athletes and those who are Greek and those who are not. In the Pit, one table is for the athletes, one is for sorority girls and boys, one is for non-Greek students, and the fourth is for those who have no friends (JOKE! The so-called "no friends" section is a misnomer and seats those who want to eat in peace!). Most Wake students seem to be from North Carolina, while the rest are mostly from the East coast, north of Virginia. Everyone else's hometowns are scattered across the USA. Most students SEEM to come from a background where their families most likely had financial troubles. This is not necessarily true because there are plenty of people on scholarship and who have work-study jobs. Students are politically aware, but it's hard to tell if they're active because I do not know how many people are in College Democrats or College Republicans. No one has really organized anything on campus regarding the upcoming election, though. It seems that most students are conservative, with the next largest group being center and the smallest group being liberal. Of course students want to be rich and have great jobs, but I don't hear too many conversations regarding peoples' high expectations of themselves. Everyone just wants to be successful.

Wake Forest students are some of the brightest people I have ever met. Everyone works hard in their classes and still finds time to participate in campus activities. Although Wake is majority Caucasian, there is a strong multicultural aspect to the school. Lots of activities are sponsored by the Office of Multicultural Affairs, and we actually just welcomed a new LGBTQ center to campus. A lot of students here do come from wealthy backgrounds, but in general all financial backgrounds are represented. Unlike most colleges, students at Wake DO NOT wear pajamas to class. I was a little upset at this my first year due to my idea of college life that was grown from watching too many movies, but I came to accept it. Students here don't get extremely dressed up just to go to class, but I would say that students like to show their personalities through their clothes. I have to say that most of the students I see wear clothes on the preppier side, but I've seen other fashions and styles as well. Although a lot of students come from wealthy backgrounds, a lot of students find time to give back to the community. Everyone I have met has genuinely been very nice, and although there are the usual cliques like at every other school, a lot of people have friends with different interests and backgrounds.

Wake's students tend to be from upper middle class families. A lot of students are Christian but I don't personally know of anyone of other religions. There are lots of Christian worship opportunities, too. Wake has a GSSA but I don't know anyone in it and I don't know anyone who is gay. For the most part, anyone who isn't upperclass, white, well-dressed and well traveled won't fit in at Wake. Most kids look like they stepped right out of a jCrew catalog. Students either dress up to class or wear sorority/fraternity jerseys and sweats. For the most part, however, students are really attractive and motivated and care about their appearances. If there were four students sitting at a table in the dining hall, they would all be white. Two would have brown eyes, one would have blue eyes, one would have green eyes. Two blonds, two brunettes. That's pretty much the extent of the diversity on Wake's campus. In terms of their accessories, they'd have on Ugg boots and David Yurman jewelry and would have Coach and Longchamp bags with them. Wake students don't talk about their wealth on a daily basis, but designer shoes, jeans, purses, etc. are prevalent on campus. Politically, the campus is pretty conservative.

-i was accosted by one religious group in our dining facility; told that if i didn't take christ as my savior i would spend eternity in hell. however, most religious groups are not as forward, nor hostile. i was just really lucky i guess. -unlike most northern schools where kids bop to class in sweatpants and a sweatshirt, wake students tend to step things up a notch ... especially in the preppy direction -a lot of students at wake are on scholarship/have a great deal of financial aid, but the atmosphere seems to suggest that everyone is a trust-fund baby -students are predominantly moderately-conservative, but us democrats exist -students are very focused on their future financial standings -our campus lacks diversity -there is a group for everyone here, it just takes some students longer to find their nitch than others ... if one is artistic, tends to think outside the box, edgy and such, they have to really search for students they are compatible with.

Let me tell you the truth: Wake Forest would have no black people if they didn't pay us to come. The black community would diminish to the point that even the ones that went to fancy prep schools and hang out exclusively with the white kids would get scared and stay away. This 80-something percent white thing is no joke; it's about the same ratio that Howard has of Black to everything else. Sometimes this really does feel like an HWCU. But it's not the skin color that's the problem for me. I'm cool with white. I went to high school in the suburbs, after all. But these white kids are different. They dress like they just stepped off a yacht; pink shorts and rainbow flip-flops and stuff. Fancy cars. I don't have much contact with them for the most part. They just walk past me on the quad. I've long since stopped wondering what planet they're from and just accepted them as the people who pay for my education.

Wake is not very diverse, but I do not find it to be a racist campus. The athletes stick together a lot because they are practicing so much together everyday and can relate to each other on that level, but they are intermingled in dorms and classes which is really nice. Anyone could be in the room next to the football quarterback or star of the basketball team. There are students of all types of socio-economic backgrounds. I have several friends on complete financial aid and no one would ever know it. There are many different religious groups on campus and I have never seen an prejudice against any of them. Students usually wear jeans and a t-shirt or polo shirt to class. It ranges from almost every style though. I have never seen anyone wear pajamas to class, but the athletes are usually in sweats. Wake students come from all over the country (and beyond). Literally, my friends are from everywhere.

Christians and non-believers are what seem to stick out the most to me. Kids go to church, but they also come from upper-class backgrounds that might exhibit a correlation with church-going. Students in Greek organizations interact mostly within their own realm, though the parties are open to anyone and friends are always there to be made regardless of background. Race doesn't seem to be an issue - the past two (or three?) student body presidents have been African-American, and the current Pres is the absolute man who actually cares what students think. Conservatism is probably the most prominent political leaning, while there are plenty of folks with open minds and differing political ideologies. Half my professors hint at their liberal, even socialistic beliefs, while the other half stick to their conservative, free-market guns (can you tell I study economics?)

Wake is a largely white, conservative, Christian student population, but that doesn’t mean it isn’t a place where others can’t fit in. Those with especially strong minority opinions might not feel comfortable here because the campus is pretty strongly swayed towards certain groups of people. For example, it only takes a quick glance around a room full of Tory Burch flats to understand that the majority of students are fairly well-off financially. Most African-American students are athletes, and at times campus can seem racially divided, especially in areas like the pit. Athletes’ presence at fraternity parties are also known to cause tension and even physical altercations. However, there are two historically black sororities and one fraternity. The rest of the Greek organizations have students of color, but never more than a handful per group.