Wake Forest University

« See more reviews of Wake Forest University

There is very little racial diversity at Wake and even less mixing between these groups. The minority groups that are on campus tend to be very separated from mainstream culture. I thought I would feel out of place here as a liberal, but I definitely don't. I think that stereotype of Wake is very much exaggerated. People here are always dressed in brand names and spend a lot of money on their clothes. If you don't have sperries and lots of polo, you will look out of place. At the same time, many students show up to class in sweats and t-shirts, but of course it's the right sororities t-shirt and is worn with UGG boots and chanel sunglasses. I think the top two states people here come from are North Carolina and New Jersey. The New Jersey-ites are generally the ones that have lots of expensive things and like to swipe daddy's credit card.

Alternative lifestyles are not very well represented, nor are minorities, though that is getting better. Students don't really wear sweatpants, etc., to class. They are usually dressed nicely, and students tend to be pretty fashionable. Most students wear designer jeans and tote around designer handbags. For the most part, students have a lot of money. Just look at the parking lot--Hummers, BMWs, Mercedes. What is really nice about Wake is that only 30% of the student body comes from North Carolina. There is a really large percentage of Northerners here, so its not as overwhelmingly Southern as it could be. Students are definitely politically aware, and I'd say it is split between conservative and liberal. There is definitely a larger conservative contingent here than there is at most universities.

A lot of group segregation, racial especially but there are so many religious groups that many hang out with each other. Fraternity/sorority scene is very pervasive, its like two different worlds exist on campus, greek or not. Students look nice generally for class, never wear pajamas! In Benson there are definitely certain tables for certain fraternities and sororities - Kappa, Sig Ep, KA/Chi-Os near the door. Most Wake students are upper-middle class and well-off, have nice clothes and very nice cars. We're from all over but a lot from the South and New York/New Jersey/Pennsylvania. Predominantly right-wing, not a very politically charged campus though. Most students in Econ/Business majors know they will be making a lot of money soon, but its not a typical thing to talk about.

The GLBT group here is very open and accepting, although we probably could be more activist in our attitude; it is a great place to meet good friends and to have a space in which to feel safe; students that feel out of place at wake are those who are very intellectual, GLBT students, almost any racial minorities-- this place is really homogenous; a good number of students wear nice/expensive clothes to class but others come in hoodies/t-shirts and sweats-- it depends on the day and who you're talking about; Most students here are from the southeast; students are more apathetic than not to political issues and tend to lean right; I would say that the majority of students here want to get jobs to earn money rather than follow an academic or vocational passion

I do not participate in those groups. I don't think anyone would feel out of place at Wake, we are very welcoming. It varies a lot what students wear to class, some wear sweatpants and some wear dresses and heels. Many different types of students interact a lot on campus. Wake students come from all over, but a good deal come from the South. The financial backgrounds also vary but most are middle to upper middle class. Students are politically active and becoming more liberal even though we are known for being more conservative. Some students, especially in the business school talk about money, but most are just concerned with finding a job that suits them.

There are people of all ethnicities and races at Wake- obviously white is the majority, but other groups do exist. Students do interact. I know while Wake expands to its 4800 student body, that more students will be accepted from ethnic backgrounds. Wake wants to enlarge its ethnic student body because diversity is important to the university. I believe in diversity too since the world is becoming so much more global; however the best should be accepted to Wake, ethnicity should not make a difference- the most qualified should be accepted. I believe in diversity, but who can bring the most to Wake should be accepted- though diversity does play a part of this.

Most of the racial students that I think of are athletes, and if they aren't a lot of them still hang out with the athletes. There is definitely a division and a lot of tension. Jeans and tee shirts are pretty typical to class, although some people dress up and some dress down. Rain boots are a must though when its raining- the campus floods. Most students are from the south. More are well to do than others but that can be attributed easily to the cost. The four tables I would have to say go as follows: the Greek table, the athlete table, the Screamin Demon table, and the table of the people you always wonder why they decided to come to Wake Forest.

wake's campus seems to me to be fairly accepting of all types. i don't know a lot of openly LGBT people on campus, but i know we have groups on campus that would help them feel more comfortable at wake. if there are 4 tables in the dining hall, one would be athletes, one would be a fraternity, one would be a sorority, and one would be half artsy people, half very studious people. i think that there is a large percentage of wealthy southerners at wake. a lot of wake students are from NC, texas, and new jersey. students are politically active, i think either fairly liberal or fairly conservative. i haven't heard students discussing their future salaries.

Wake's student body is incredibly geographically diverse. The student body is pretty politically apathetic, however, with the exception of election years. Kids are way richer than any college students should reasonably be. Most people think Wake is really conservative but it's a very even split on campus. Students definitely don't talk about how much they'll earn one day but you can tell they probably think about it. I'm a Jewish liberal from the North and I have never felt for one moment out of place at Wake. I truly feel like whatever your background you will be welcomed into the community and judged more by your character than anything else.

Everyone wants to treat people of other races the same. A student with a lot of tattoos and piercings would be out of place at Wake. Most students wear jeans and a casual shirt to class. Different types of students interact (different races, ethnicities, etc.). In the dining hall, there is a section for the athletes, the studiers, the frats, and the sororities. Middle class- upper class financial backgrounds are the most prevalent. Students seem to be politically aware while others are not simply because there is not enough time apart from activities and homework to stay caught up on politics. Predominantly right, but Wake is founded on left.