Wake Forest University

« See more reviews of Wake Forest University

Wake forest has no diversity whatsoever. Most people are either Catholic or babtist, but religion is not highly stressed. Most students are of middle or upper-class background, caucasian background. A student of a lower class background, with any other ethnicity other than white American would probably feel out of place (unless they are an athlete). Most students dress nicely to class. No one looks sloppy when the come to class except the athletes (they usually wear their athletic gear). Politics are not typically discussed on campus due to the equal amount of conservative southern republicans and liberal northerners.

People at Wake are very similar. You would never see a goth person dressed in all black with odd piercings and the punk rock type of person is rare. People wear anything from t-shirts and jeans to skirts and nice blouses. People hang out with greek life friends for the most part. Independents typically hang out together. People usually have plenty of money, but no one is really, really showy. Even though Wake is in the South, it is not a "Southern school". There are a lot of Northerners that go here. It's kind of unfortuante that there are not more of the "good ole boys".

I'm disappointed with a large number of wake kids. So many people are highly ambitious and incredibly hard-working but they also have a tendency to be a follower. Too many people here are apathetic, especially to issues concerning wake itself. There aren't very many free-thinkers, which is very frustrating. Get ready for a lot of wealthy white kids! I predict that a large percentage of students in my class will enter the corporate workforce, although a large percentage of each graduating class goes on to serve in the peace corps or teach for america.

Black students are overwhelmingly athletes, and other minorities are very underrepresented. My father is Cuban but I am white by appearance. I applied to Wake as a white student but was still automatically given a tutor my freshmen year until I explained that I had gotten in on my own and intended to succeed on my own. Students tend to wear nice clothing to class, and if students are in sweats it is usually because they just worked out or plan on working out after class. Wake students are predominantly from upper-class families.

wake has a very distinct stereotypical student and if you aren't that, it's noticed; minorities, liberals stand out the most; students wear sweats or ridiculously nice outfits to class, so much so that sometimes it's like a fashion show; extra curriculars help different students interact; the four tables: greeks, jocks, religious, ubber-involved; most students are from new jersey or NC; most have a lot of money; they are not politically aware at all but if they are they are conservative; money is always a topic/motivator

wake has a fairly diverse student body although it stereotypically does not- that has not been my experience. we have a variety of racial, religious, and socio-economic backgrounds represented on campus. to say that we don't is to ignore the reality of the campus. it really depends on the student in terms of who is politically aware, who is politcially left, right, center, etc. those types are things are not uniform for the student body and should definitely be looked at on an individual basis.

wake's student body is homogeneous and there is not too much racial mixing...coming from public school my entire life, this was hard to get used to. most students wear nice jeans and nice or casual tops to class, but youll also see people in their gym clothes. most division of students is by greek affiliation or sport team. high income families are prevalent. students are usually politically aware. they are predominately right. yes students talk about the hopes of making a good income one day.

Wake definitely has a majority of white, upper-middle class students. However, that by no means that the school lacks diversity. I think I may have written an admissions essay on this, but diversity in my opinion is diversity of points of view. Personally, I have had the opportunity to travel extensively in Europe and have been to a few countries in Central and South America. Because of this, I have a different world view than other people who may not have traveled out of their home town.

Although there are definitely some stereotypes about Wake students, there is still lots of diversity among the student body. Most students wear casual, but not too casual, clothes to class (jeans and a top, khackis and a Polo shirt). There is also a large group of students who dress up (skirts, dresses, khackis, button-downs, etc.) I would say the population is split pretty evenly between the North and South. Different types of students definitely interact, which is great about Wake.

I think Wake's student body is pretty homogenous, and seeing as I fit in the mold of the 'typical' Wake Forest student it's hard to say who would feel out of place on our campus, but it would seem that most minority students would feel a little out of place at our school seeing as it is so largely un-diverse...most students dress up nicely for class, wearing polos and preppy clothes and sporting t-shirts from various Greek organizations. Lots of Wake students from New Jersey and NC...