Wake Forest University

« See more reviews of Wake Forest University

As I said before, Wake is not very diverse but the administration has been working hard to change that. As a white person, I have a ton of black friends but a lot of students here keep themselves racially segregated. The average student at Wake Forest is probably in the high middle class. It shows. People drive BMW's and don't think twice about it. Wake Forest is probably more conservative than most college campuses. However, the College Democrats are pretty vocal too.

The student body is pretty homogeneous-- conservative, white kids from privileged backgrounds. Some kids are used to the instant gratification of a credit card, paid for by mom and dad. Most of us expect to enter back into the same social strata we came from after graduation. Students wear a wide variety of outfits to class-- sweats, leggings, oxfords, dresses, heels, flip flops-- it mostly depends on the weather and how much time they have when they wake up before class.

Our black population is definitely in the minority, although it is increasing. Most students dress up to class especially in the spring. Most black kids hang out together and most white kids hang out together-its pretty racially divided. Most students are from NC and NJ, and a lot from CT nowadays. A lot of rich people. Students dont talk politics as much as they probably should, at least not that ive noticed and dont talk about how much they will earn either.

People don't think there is much diversity on campus, because the most obvious people are the those that seem to have it all, but when you really look around, we have all sorts of people. You'll see people dressed anywhere from blazers and dresses, to jeans, to sweats for class. Politics are big on campus and while it seems like there are a lot of republicans on campus, there are a fair amount of liberals as well. Money is a big topic of conversation for some.

A good summary of Wake's student body would be, "Work hard. Play hard." Students like to have a good time and party, but not to the point of getting in the way of our education. We know that we are first and foremost here to get an education, but we believe we can do that while having fun. When it's time to study and work, we all buckle down and get it done. But when it's time to go out and celebrate, you can find students and various house clubs or bars.

The campus is very Waspy. Most people are white and rich, however I like to believe that Wake students are very accepting of diversity. It is the type of atmosphere though when students consider originality as weird though. Girls get pretty dressed up for class. J.Crew and Polo is seen everywhere. There is a good diversity of people from different parts of the United States though. It is also a very republican student body.

Wake Forest is a more "preppy" school. Most students wear at least jeans and a t-shirt to class, but it is more common to find girls in a skirt, dress, or cute top. Guys typically wear a t-shirt, knit polo, or button down dress shirt. Students generally come from higher socioeconomic families, but once again, that is a huge generalization. haha, they don't really talk about how much they'll earn one day...

The student body is not the most diverse when being compared to some schools, but you can definitely find a club, sport, sorority/fraterinity, religious, among many other, group to identify with. People are predominately wealthy here, but there is a percentage of students on financial aid (and you CANNOT spot them in a crowd)! I think that generally most students could find somewhere they feel at home here!

Groups: none Out-of-place student: non-drinkers, extreme liberals, and poor dressers Clothes: dresses, skirts, t-shirts, jeans, pants, shorts. no sweatpants etc. Different students interact: yes Four tables: sorority, fraternity, sports team, gdi Financial: middle to upper class Backgrounds: mainly white, some asian and black Politics: some active, mainly republican Concern for future wage: yes

Most students are Wake are rich, white, southern and conservative. There is not much diversity on campus and those that are different are not necessarily accepted with open arms. Most students dress up for class. Many girls wear dresses and skirts to class and football games, while the boys wear button up shirts and ties. The student population is very preppy and very similar.