Wake Forest University Top Questions

MacLean

The classroom experience at Wake is what seems to draw many in (especially for those of us that need extra help). All of my professors know my name. I've been to many of their houses for study sessions and I have most of them as Facebook friends. I have classes as small as five students. One on one time is readily available and utilized by me on a weekly basis. Professors give you credit for trying here- office hours are a smart move! I used to just go hang out with my econ prof. in his office in between classes.There is a certain air of competitiveness here, but you're either in that group or you're in the "just trying not to fail out" group...i'd be in the latter. he workload is a bit ridiculous, the "Work Forest" nickname being completely on point, but it becomes manageable the longer you're here. Everyone studies all of the time...there is no other option. Someone in my hall is always pulling an all night-er. Coming from a public school I think I studied more than any else my freshman year. It is easy to want to do better here, easier to study for tests, easier to go to office hours, though because that is what everyone is doing. Everyone here is working hard. The divisional general education requirements are kind of great and kind of annoying. For example I loved my First Year Seminar (required freshmen class) on Children of Divorce, but I would rather have Cheetos dust permanently stuck on my fingers than take another Italian class. I guess making us take them all is the only way to gauge that. Sucks. That being said, though the university is truly centered around learning and not simply placing their students into a job later.

MacLean

The classroom experience at Wake is what seems to draw many in (especially for those of us that need extra help). All of my professors know my name. I've been to many of their houses for study sessions and I have most of them as Facebook friends. I have classes as small as five students. One on one time is readily available and utilized by me on a weekly basis. Professors give you credit for trying here- office hours are a smart move! There is a certain air of competitiveness between pre-med or pre-business students. They are geared towards a final goal. Many of us however are simply trying to do as well as we can. The workload is a bit ridiculous, the "Work Forest" nickname being completely on point, but it becomes manageable the longer you're here. Everyone studies all of the time, there is no way to not study all of the time & do well here. Coming from a public school I think I studied more than any else my freshman year. It is easy to want to do better here, easier to study for tests, easier to go to office hours, though because that is what everyone is doing. Everyone here is working hard. The divisional general education requirements are hard. A 200 level language class? Hard. The university is truly centered around learning and not simply placing their students into a job later.

Bradley

International business

Dan

Wake's academic reputation speaks for itself. It is a top-ranked university, on par with other top-tier universities. Students work hard to succeed, but it is not impossible to do well as some might lead you to believe. If you are qualified enough to earn admission to Wake, then you are qualified enough to succeed here. There is definitely a stress on the liberal arts education here. Every student has to take an array of divisional course requirements, including courses in humanities, the arts, social science, math/natural science, and foreign language. First-year students also have to complete a First Year Seminar and a Freshmen Writing Seminar. These courses are pretty writing intensive, but are also some of the most interesting subjects that professors would not otherwise get to teach. For example, my seminar was called Music of Protest. In the course, we studied social movements in the Western Hemisphere and how music provided influence and social commentary about those movements. Two of my papers for that class were analyses of the music of Bob Dylan and Green Day. One of my favorite things about the academics at Wake is that I get to know my professors really well. My largest class has been about 60 people, and that was an introductory biology course. Most non-intro courses are much smaller, allowing professors to learn everyone's names in just a week or two. Unlike some professors at larger state schools, professors are genuinely interested in getting to know and connecting with students. I have even had professors invite the class to their houses for lunch/dinner on multiple occasions.

Kirstyn

Unless you like being a social security number instead of a name, you can't hate the class size here. The largest class I've had held about forty students and the smallest I've been in had eight. The average class size probably lingers around fifteen to twenty. This creates a fairly warm and inviting atmosphere in which to express your opinion. Don't be fooled though, just because it's cozy, doesn't mean that it isn't competitive! No one will try to sabotage your grade, but be prepared for them to compare what you got to what they got when you get your exams back! Everyone gets a rough professor that does what they want because they have tenure, but for every one professor that you have that you don't like, you'll have eight that you adore and hold a relationship with even after you turn in your final.

Carlos

A good percentage of the time professors will know your name. Classes tend to be small so there is an expectation for you to participate. If you're looking for it, you will run into people willing to engage in intellectual conversations. Many of the people here are receptive, thoughtful, and curious about your views (if you have any). Studying makes up a large part of the academic culture here. True story, i've seen people reading textbooks while doing sit-ups and walking on the treadmill at the gym. So this is definitely a place intended for the intellectually curious and disciplined. I'm double majoring in English and Philosophy and it's inspiring to see how cultured and learned the professors are in each department, and others as well. Many speak more than one language and have an intimate knowledge of topics peripheral to their field. Though there are somewhat high expectations so be ready to be challenged. Much of Wake Forest's intentions are geared toward making sure you have opportunities to succeed, which means they provide many connections for job placement. Several students secure jobs soon after graduating.

Lindsey

Professors generally know your name unless they're super old and have a hard time remembering. My favorite class this semester is Shakespeare; my professor is a BOSS. My least favorite class was Calculus. I failed. Students study a lot; we have to. We're constantly updating facebook and twitter accounts about retarded things that happen to us in the library. Class participation is a must. Students aren't intellectual outside of class- we have a crap ton of work all the time, that's why we rage so much. Students can be competitive depending on the major. The most unique class I've taken was the World of Opera; it was my freshman year seminar, and I absolutely loved it...even if I had to listen to Don Giovanni at 8am. I'm double majoring in English and French. The English department is awesome, intelligent, and biased. The French department is miniscule; I want to get my PhD in History so I can teach French history here. I go to lunch and get coffee with professors on the reg. Academic requirements are tough, but this is a great academic university. Deal with the hardships. You'll live. Our Career Services Dept is awesome at helping students find jobs after graduation. I would know, I'm on their student committee.

Kendall

Wake students are driven individuals and the work load at Wake reflects that. All majors are rigorous and require a lot of work outside of class. It's not unusual for the ZSR library to be completely filled most nights. Most students would agree that if you work, you get a B. A's are much harder to come by. Luckily, Wake has a great faculty that, for the most part, is willing to meet outside of class to help students. As an English major, most of my professors have even required scheduling a meeting with them once or twice throughout the semester. Class sizes are small and strictly lecture style classes are rare. In my experience, professors are interested in facilitating class discussion and participation is almost always an important part of my final grade. Also, since Wake is a liberal arts school, students are required to complete a series of divisional courses that extend to all the major areas of study provided at Wake. Sometimes this can be a little frustrating when it requires an English major, like me, to take classes like statistics and physics, but I think it also requires you to be more well-rounded, which in turn makes you more eligible in job markets.

Courtney

One of my favorite aspects of Wake Forest are the smaller class sizes where the professors make an effort to at least know your face. The academics are harder than the average college may have, but it is this that better prepares the students post-graduation. Since I know that my hard work will pay off, I do not mind devoting more of my effort to my classes. In the end, the amount of attention paid to studying depends on what each student wants to allot, but it automatically affects their grade. One of the best things about Wake students is that they keep to themselves where their education matters. There is no competitiveness to the point where it is detrimental to other classmates. Wake Forest is also very attentive to transitioning their students into the workforce and have a lot of resources to do so. The alumni network is very strong around the country and in some international countries like England. One of my favorite classes what a political science class about contemporary India. I learned so much more than I could have ever imagined about one of the most diverse countries in the world. Due to this class, my world perspective has shifted and affects how I see politics in a global perspective. The professors that I have had are passionate about what they teach, and there is nothing better in the academic sphere than learning from someone who loves to teach in their field--and Wake Forest is full of these kinds of professors.

Kory

One word: rigorous. You will work hard to receive a good education here. It's not impossible to get a high GPA, but it is tough. You will often see students studying into the wee hours of the morning on any given day of the week. The students are competitive only insofar as they are intelligent, which almost every person at Wake is. It is common to see lines at a professor's door for office hour discussion. You will have to fulfill a number of divisional requirements for any degree from the university, and the requirements for each major are different.

Toni

Students here often call the school by its endearing nickname, "Work Forest". Yes, the academics at Wake Forest are intense. Yes, you will have a lot of work in a lot of your classes. Yes, you will be stressed sometimes. But in my opinion, the workload is entirely manageable if you practice good time management skills and-this is important-become familiar with your professors! Wake professors are all so helpful to their students. Every professor I have had is completely willing to meet with students to provide help on assignments, give advice, or just talk. I have even had a few professors who have invited students to their houses for casual dinners. The professors here know that Wake Forest students are intelligent, so they don't baby us. The work they assign is challenging, but they are never unwilling to provide their services in the forms of clarification or just support. Students here are very involved in their schoolwork. Students study a lot and do very well in their classes, but unlike some other schools known for high academic achievement, I feel that Wake students know when to relax and the importance of relieving stress by having a good time. Every department has amazing professors and staff (but personally, being a Psychology and English double major, I may be a little biased towards those departments!). Generally, Wake demands a lot of its students academically, but in the end it is to the student's benefit. I have learned so much during my time here, and no amount of stress that I have felt over the years can sway me to bemoan the rigor with which professors teach their students or the greatness that the professors expect of the students.

Rachael

Work Forest: work hard, play hard. Admittedly, I was intimidated by this play on words as an incoming Freshman. However, from my experience, I've found that professors' willingness to invest in students often counteracts the somewhat daunting work load characteristic of a "Top 25" university. It's not uncommon for professors to invite students into their homes for dinner. My professors know my name and care whether or not I participate in class--especially as an English major. Even my "pre-med" friends, who have larger, lecture-style classes, value their one-on-one relationships with professors as an essential part of class--which also speaks to the difficulty and demand of the pre-med track. As far as I can tell, pre-med students, as well as Calloway Business School students, study more than anyone else on campus. These departments are especially geared towards getting jobs whereas I find that humanities departments are geared more towards learning for learning's sake. However, regardless of department, students are competitive. We are also required to dabble in all areas of academics thanks to a liberal arts curriculum. For this reason, I've taken unexpectedly unique classes such as my freshman seminar, Life Perspectives. Based on psychology, this class revolved around a variety of books and memoirs that express different world views. The class was made up of all types of majors and backgrounds but proved driven by the same Wake academic spirit of eager discussion and desire to place learning in the larger context of life. At Work Forest, this learning spirit is summed up in our mission: Pro Humanitate--for humanity.

Molly

We are commonly referred to as "Work Forest," meaning that the work load is definitely rough. However, I find that all of the work I do is worthwhile and beneficial to my overall education. Students study around 4-6 hours each day, which can seem daunting but becomes a habit of life here. I have thoroughly enjoyed almost all of my classes. We have a liberal arts curriculum, so the first two years of college are largely spent fulfilling divisional requirements. I have learned so much through these divisionals, particularly the educational policy and practice course that I am currently taking. I have been pushed intellectually to really consider the educational issues our society is facing and I have slowly formed my opinion of what needs to be done to create change. This class has really developed my interest in education, to the point where I may go on to pursue a career in education. This class was mostly discussion based, so I have had many opportunities to debate my ideas with other students who were going through the same intellectual thought process as me. Almost every one of my professors has known me by name and met with me personally in their office hours. I never imagined I would get this personal of an experience at the college level. I have been invited to two professors' homes for dinner and another professor has set up times when we can meet him at a local bakery to talk. Overall, the environment has been very nurturing, but still challenging and intellectually stimulating. The professors do an excellent job of guiding students along in their thought process, while not babying them along the way.

Tristan

Student-teacher ratio at Wake is small, so your professors will know you name, and are very accessible. Students are generally motivated to make good grades, but unfortunately, few are interested in learning or engaging the material in class. Most of the people here are studious, but learning isn't a huge priority for most of them. The professors at Wake are definitely geared toward teaching the subject for learning's sake (as opposed to training students for a job), so if you're actually interested in being educated, a little self-discipline will get you there.

Terry

Academics? Tough. But not impossible. It's how I imagine it to be at most top-tier schools. Wake continually 1-ups itself in academic significance - the Dean's List requirements were raised my junior year to make sure the students have to work harder to earn such distinctions. Students are competitive and will leave you in the dust. But it's rarely a personal matter. Good minds inspire others, so being surrounded by a diligent student population causes the one-time slacker to often evolve into a hard-working success story. The size of the school is important. An average of about 16 students per class means high personal interaction with the professors. I even helped a professor edit a book she had published, and having dinner with professors isn't far-fetched by any stretch of the imagination. They love to help, and they most often have the ability to help because they only have to deal with 16 kids per class and not 200.

Wade

Bad grade deflation, but very good reputation makes up for bad GPA. Classes are nicely sized. Good professors. Lots of group projects and teamwork. Students are not very competitive.

Kyle

The Wake academic experience is one of only a few in America. You are taught by really great teachers who are experts in their fields of study. I have also always felt comfortable in approaching my professors. The student:teacher ratio of 11:1 is also very attractive for a particular student. I am very happy with my academic experience here at Wake Forest and it has definitely equipped me for the different opportunities I will undertake after graduation.

Hanna

Almost all of the classes are small, less than 20 students. Students spend a large amount of time studying, but I don't find that they are extremely competitive. I think certain majors are more geared toward getting a job, like Business, but then there are the humanities where learning for its own sake is highly valued. Wake's emphasis on a liberal arts education is very important; as students, we enjoy the benefits of a well-known school (in the working environment) as well as a solid background on a variety of issues that we normally wouldn't encounter in a large public school.

Alexandra

Very challenging - where your best has not been good enough since 1834. Absolutely no one wants a "B." Everyone is out to get "As" - and they all can - everyone is very very bright at Wake. But they work hard for it. No one really goes out during the week, only on Wednesdays. It is not unusual for students to stay in one weekend night and do work.

Claire

Professors know their students. My favorite class was my First Year Seminar because my professor was the most intriguing person I've ever met and made everyone interested in the topic. Students tend to study in large chunks because the social scene is still so apparent. Students are very competitive, both socially and academically. I think the education at Wake is geared toward learning more than getting a job, at least in the liberal arts school, but I also think students are able to take that knowledge and apply it to jobs to be successful after graduation

Margo

Small classes, very intimate but very very hard. B's are definitely do-able but A's are very rare.

Corinne

Students are not competitive but rather have a "we're all in it together" mentality. Helping classmates study for tests or giving them notes they missed is a common practice. The library is absolutely packed during midterms and finals. Students take work very seriously but also take partying very seriously. Professors are generally very approachable and care about the students. Many classes incorporate student discussions and participation is encouraged, not seen as "uncool" but other students.

Claire

I have loved the academic world at Wake. I feel very close to my teachers and have felt very comfortable seeking them out for help. Students are pretty competitive and it is an acadmically stimulating campus. I have had my share of classes and professors that I don't like; however, this happens on EVERY campus! Student's do study a lot and the library is hot spot, but we also know how to let loose and have a good time. I used to think that I wanted to come into a curriculum picking and choosing exactly what I wanted, but the liberal arts education allows you to experiment with a core curriculum. In other words, you can take a bunch of classes that you may not have initially been interested in and find a potential major. I've really enjoyed some classes that I've taken even if it was just to fulfill a requirement. I definitely think that a Wake education will get you far in the job world. People are often impressed by a Wake diploma!

Leslie

Classes are difficult. You may work hard for merely a C in a class. Professors make themselves readily available outside of class if you need help.

Becky

My professors do know me by name. My favorite class is Spanish 319 because it is a small class and the professor works hard, which makes the students work hard. My least favorite is Computer Science because it is hard to stay awake. Class participation is not very common in most of my classes, even though the professors encourage it. Wake students have intellectual conversations outside of class on occasion, but usually conversations consist of gossip and personal stories. Some students are more competitive than others, but on the whole, students are not highly competitive among each other. I do not spend time with my professors outside of class, although they are willing to. The education at Wake is geared both to getting a job and learning. The divisional requirements are a good way to learn a variety of disciplines and provide a good base for any student.

Allison

All of my professors know my name and remember my work. I can easily reach them all by email or go to their office during their office hours. I have honestly enjoyed the majority of my classes and found them interesting, even at 8 A.M. The work is hard, we have the nickname "Work Forest" but if you stay on top of your schedule and manage your time you will do fine.

Academics at Wake are difficult. Do not come to Wake Forest if you don't expect to study your ass off. Certain majors are more difficult than others, however, so take a variety of classes before settling on a major. Wake has a broad spectrum of divisionals it requires, so be prepared for that. Wake Students are big on participation in class, especially in smaller classes. Students are competitive, so be prepared. Essentially, if you do not enjoy reading, studying and homework, Wake may not be a great choice for you.

Tara

My life IS studying. Last semester, I went out ONCE and did 30-40 hours of homework every weekend (seems impossible, I know, but just you wait!). So be prepared to be willing to give up weekend activities at times and fun, because even though your friends will go out, you will not always be able to. I'm sure there are people that slack more than me though, and you are welcome to be one of them. Class participation is not only common but pretty much required to get a good grafe. First year seminars are unique classes that are required freshman year (or the first year here for transfer students). They are on a variety of subjects, and professors go to a huge effort to make them fun and interesting, not just educational. They are writing, reading, and discussion intensive. I am a political science major (and English major, but let's focus on the poli sci part), and I LOVE IT and would recommend it to anyone. While I have not spent time wiht any of my professors outside of class, I have heard of professors asking classes to dinner at their houses to have a study session before a test. The professors are great, and I am pretty much in love with my major.

Katie

As I said, school is hard and there is a lot of work, but college is all about balance. However you choose to do it, just be sure that at the end of the day you did what you had to do. I work well with schedules. I like to plan how long things will take me and figure out the day so I can do what I need to and still have fun.

Megan

Professors definitely know my name, even in "large" lecture classes of 40. The academics are rigorous-- each professor assigns work as if you are only taking their class that semester. It was nice coming to Wake from a public high school, because I noticed that Wake students are able to bring what they read about and learn in the classroom to conversations and debates in their dorms. GPAs are competitive, mostly because each of us was at the top of our class in high school and suddenly had to work much harder to make lower grades. Wake definitely gears you towards a future-- for Calloway students, it's getting a 5-figure salary right out of college; for med students, it's having one of the highest acceptance rates into med schools; for everybody else, it's grad school.

Anna

Academcis are awesome. professors will know who you are if you are in a small class (many are under 20 ppl) or if you take time to visit the professor with questions. Everyone here is really smart and talk about intellectual topics such as politics or the administration, but also about social stuff. Students are pretty competitve but not to the point where it ruins friendships/makes you feel awkward. My major is HES and although i havent actually taken a class yet i know it will be awesme for physical therapy.

Classes are hard, for sure. The nickname work forest didn't just come out of no where. Compared to other schools, I would definitely say the work load is more, but keep in mind that it doesnt seem so overwhelming when everyone else around you has the same difficult course load. It isn't going to affect your social life too negatively as long as you learn to budget your time wisely. It's very manageable, and in the end worth the hard work. I'm a chemistry major, so I have an even more difficult load than other students and I still find time to go out nearly every weekend and watch movies or TV during the week. It's something you learn to balance eventually.

Meghan

Some professors work to get to know their students more than other. It is most often the smaller classes in which professors know the students' names. Wake Students study a lot and often have intelligent conversations outside of the classroom.

You will have to study for every class, no matter how easy. If you talk to professors outside of class (like going to their office hours) they will definitely know your name. The smaller the class, and the more times it meets a week will increase the chances of the prof knowing you. Students are competitive with themselves, but not necessarily with other people. There isn't a lot of sharing your grades with other people for comparison. Divisionals are good and they are what makes wake a liberal arts school. If you don't like them, don't come here. During orientation, they said that "In order to be here now, you were probably pretty busy in high school." Very true statement. Most people were pretty smart cookies for their high schools.

Anna

The classes are ALL difficult, and we do have grade deflation. Evidenced by the fact that to make dean's list you have to have a 3.00 and there isnt a much larger percentage of kids on it here than there are at other schools where the requirement is higher. this is something to take into account if youre looking at going to grad schools becuase they do NOT take the difficulty of your school and the 'meaning' of your GPA into account like universities do for high schools

Katie

My classes have been small and typically the professors know my name and notice if i'm not in class. I have has dinner and class at my professors house four different times. I am in the Calloway business school and grade deflation is terrible, classes are hard, but we will come out extremely well rounded. Our career services needs to work on our internship and job program however. We also start off with a ton of basic requirements that leaves little chance of double majoring easily.

Professors know my name, especially those who teach my major classes. Divisionals can be a pain, but the restrictions get less and less each year. "Work Forest" is not a joke -- we study hard but we also play hard. The business program is definitely geared towards getting a job, but I wouldn't say that as much for other majors.

Royce

Academics at Wake are amazing. Every professor learns everyone's name. The students here are the best and the brightest and we do discuss intellectual topics outside of class. However, Wake has definitely earned its name "Work Forest". Get ready to learn, but also get ready to work your ass off.

Devin

wake has the nickname "work forest" for a reason. youll end up doing a lot of work. though frankly it may just be because the people here are very motivated, so they put effort into getting good grades. there is no grade inflation here, if anyhting its deflation. most people actually do get Cs which is hard for a lot of us to get used to. all the professers are great. the classes are small enough that they all will know your name.

Steffie

One of the best things about Wake is the small classes. Freshmen year there are two required classes with about 10-15 other students where you can choose from a wide variety of special topics in many of the different disciplines that you want to look into further. This is a great way to get to know a few more of your classmates, as well as make a real connection with a faculty member. Throughout the years you will definitely get a few big classes-- plus side: participation doesn't matter-- but for the most part they are pretty small. In my Spanish major, classes are never bigger than 15, but in my communication major, they can be a lot bigger. Participation is always a plus in classes here, but there never seems to be a problem finding people to say stuff, so you can avoid it if you want to (aka if you didn't do the reading). People at Wake were pretty much all top students at their respective high schools, so people are just plain smart. I was happy to see, though, that people aren't terribly competitive with one another (unless you're in the business school, Calloway, but even there people are always helping each other out allllll the time). Having so many smart people around does occasionally lead to intellectual conversations, but generally they are drunken and get heated quickly because soberly, people are either doing work or are stressed and would rather have more light-hearted conversation. Wake's academic requirements are getting more and more manageable it seems. A lot of people complain about the language requirement, but as a Spanish major, I clearly didn't mind it. The worst required class, Philosophy, has just been made optional (damn you, newbies! so lucky), so chances are divisional requirements will be much less miserable. Registration is always a struggle, but teachers are usually great about letting you in if you just keep showing up in the beginning of the semester. Depending on the department you're in classes can be geared toward learning for the sake of learning and improving your general knowledge, or solely on getting a job (or somewhere in between). Calloway is definitely directed toward you making a lot of money when you graduate, but even if you are one of the less-pressured majors, Wake has a great career department that helps with interview preparation and finding internships.

Megs

I loved having a first-year seminar. I had a really hard topic (gender and racial identity) and was mentally exhausted after every class, but it was very fulfilling. There are so many fascinating topics to choose from (a friend's a seminar was on pirates), and they are led by a number of cool professors. This is definitely a gem of wake's academic program, and i wish that i could take some of these seminars even as an upperclassman. Registration will make you want to set yourself on fire your freshman and sophomore year. It is really hard to get a spot in a lot of classes (e-mailing profs before registration and asking for a spot usually helps, though). Wake is great about encouraging students to study aboard. The school has some pretty amazing houses. I went with a non-wake program, and the international studies center was so helpful with recommending programs, guiding me through the process and answering all my questions. I had no problem receiving credit for the courses that i took while abroad.

Fran

I think the classes are incredibly difficult at Wake but I appreciate what I am learning in the classrooms. If I could though, I would like to change the divisional requirement classes. I think that testing in divisional credit classes should be standardized. It is amazing what a difference you see in your grade based on your teacher. You can work so hard in a class for a C while another person in the same class with a different teacher does nothing for an A. That is unfair and I think standardized testing would be a great way to change that.

Hannah

Academic here at Wake are pretty tough. Professors know my name. I love the History department here, absolutely despise the Physics department. Students are fairly competitive. Education here is more geared to getting a job.

Stephany

The academics at Wake are nothing to sneeze at. We take it very seriously. The profs know our names. We study all the time. Class participation is common, and people have things to say, esp. in their concentration/major. We do have intellectual conversations outside of class, but we don't over do it. We recognize how nerdy/dorky we are because we actually like learning, but we also take great pride in it. Students are competitive, but mostly against either the system or themselves. It's rare to find someone who tries to beat someone else's grade publicly. My department rocks. They are the best department because I love all of the professors. We're like a big family. It's awesome.

The classes are small enough so that professors know your name and are definitely available for help whenever you need it. There is a lot of work, and classes are hard, but if you keep up with the readings and assigned homeworks then you will be fine. I believe the most popular majors are business and communications, but there are certainly a great deal of pre-med students as well. Teachers encourage class participation and it is taken into account in grades for many classes. Students definitely study a great deal, but it's certainly a manageable workload if you allocate your time correctly.

April

I'd say about 1/2 my profs know me by name; my favorite class was Shakespeare with Valbeuno - that woman is one of the smartest people I've ever met, my worst class was chemistry; students study in the library, benson, and obscure places; class participation is common but always the same people; wake students have tons of intellectual conversations outside of class; students are very competitive; most unique class is psychopharmacology (and one of my favorites); psychology does not have advisers which is ridiculous I think but the English department does which makes like a lot easier (I'm a double major); I only spend time with my research methods teacher outside of the classroom to get extra help; Wake's requirements are fair but they should have a sample outline for possible majors to help them balance their schedules throughout their four years; I'm learning for the sake of learning but I feel that I am the minority

Tristan

Every professor I've had knows my name. I've had 3 classes in my 3 years here with more than thirty students in them... the majority of my classes have under ten students (which sucks when you skip). The professors are beyond amazing and really passionate about teaching and making sure you learn. This semester, my favorite class is History of the German Language. Although it's fifty minutes long three times a week, it feels like five minutes and I'm so interested in the class discussions I often forget to take notes. The education here at Wake Forest is not about getting a job; it's about learning for the sake of learning and making the most of your time at college.

Alison

I like the small class size and the fact that most professors know your name and give you the opportunity to really participate, and they are willing to make time to help you and not just have some TA interact with you...Academics are extremely important to Wake students, mostly everyone seems to take school very seriously, but that is not to say too seriously...I like that Wake allows you time to take a broad range of courses with the divisional requirements before declaring your major sophomore year.

Katherine

the one thing that sucks is no matter how hard you study, your grades usually arent as good as your friends at other schools. i have friends at shitty schools with 4.0s and they never go to class. most of my professors knew my name which was nice.

Reese

Professors know my name. People study a lot but it depends on the courses they are taking Students are competetitive but, unlike other schools, are willing to help others Unique: Feminist Fairytales