Wake Forest University

« See more reviews of Wake Forest University

Most of my professors know my name, the class sizes are small enough for them to get involved with their students. It is not an easy school, the library is usually pretty crowded and I know I at least was used to a much lighter course load coming into school. Education is both aimed at learning for the sake of acquiring knowledge and making connections to find a job out of college.

Love my professors... I even call one by her first name. They invite groups over to their houses for dinner on occasion. Students study ALL THE TIME. The library is a social place. Participation is common and expected. Intellectual conversations occur all the time. Wake students are the most competitive I know. I just wish the academic reputation would have more credit.

Yes, professors know my name, for the most part, because classes ( even the introductory, prerequisite courses are small). Least favorite class was Chemistry. Students often study late, and if possible, with a group of students in the same class. Yes, Wake students have intellectual conversations outside of class. Education and the curriculum is geared toward getting a job.

Challenging! The classes here are hard...you will work harder here for a 3.5 then you would at Duke, UVA, Vanderbilt, or BC. But also you don't have TA's teach you, you get to know your professors, and you are getting a legitimate education. They aren't teaching you to get a job - if they were they would try to boost your GPA - they are teaching you to make you think.

Professors know my name, especially those who teach my major classes. Divisionals can be a pain, but the restrictions get less and less each year. "Work Forest" is not a joke -- we study hard but we also play hard. The business program is definitely geared towards getting a job, but I wouldn't say that as much for other majors.

As I said, school is hard and there is a lot of work, but college is all about balance. However you choose to do it, just be sure that at the end of the day you did what you had to do. I work well with schedules. I like to plan how long things will take me and figure out the day so I can do what I need to and still have fun.

Students are type A and very competitive. The most unique class that I have taken was my first year seminar in the theater department. It focused on creativity. Wake has too many academic requirements. I think that the education is geared more toward learning than getting a job, at least in the chemistry department.

See above. Professors make a serious effort to learn about each student - more than knowing each student's name. Class participation is expected, and is very good and classes always benefit as a result. The students all work very hard, but there is no sense of competition among students like at other schools (Duke).

Academics at Wake are amazing. Every professor learns everyone's name. The students here are the best and the brightest and we do discuss intellectual topics outside of class. However, Wake has definitely earned its name "Work Forest". Get ready to learn, but also get ready to work your ass off.

I hate going to class, but who really likes class? All nighters and adderrall. Unfortunately, thats how it is. Class participation is terrible. Every teacher requires it...so you are always stuck in class with the annoying kid who never shuts up.