Wake Forest University

« See more reviews of Wake Forest University

What is the stereotype of students at your school?

It's widely known that Wake is at the "preppy" end of the spectrum. It's true that people wear Jack Rogers, Vinyard Vines, and Sperry Topsiders; it does look as though we're living out of a J.Crew catalog. It is also a stereotype that people hail from extremely wealthy families. The thing about stereotypes is that there is a reason why they exist, because, to some extent, it's valid. However, it would be unfair to say that EVERYONE here fit into that mold. There are people who are from middle-class families, people who are here on a full scholarship, and others who are in fact sons and daughters of CEO's. Like the world, it is a mix of people.

Generally, preppy. I'm warning those of you who DON'T dress in the following apparel to be aware that you will either a) stick to your own personal style and decide to become a clone of the cookie-cutter look or b) conform. Either way, no worries. So back to my point, ahem. In the summer, girls are in Lilly shorts and vineyard vines tops or vice versa. Boys ooze frat appeal in Polo, Vineyard Vines, Lacoste, etc. So there you have preppy; I suppose we're also stereotyped as being smart AND as coming from Daddy's money...and while this stereotype holds true for what SEEMS like 99% of the student population, it's not completely accurate.

The Greek life is a huge component of social life on campus. Wake students are all stuck up, spoiled, and rich. The unofficial uniform is a polo shirt (and pearls when applicable) and Rainbow sandles. The students work hard and party hard. Living on campus is living in a bubble.

Wake is probably seen by others as an extremely preppy, Southern, conservative school--thanks in good part to the Baptist history it no longer maintains. All of us that go here, however, stick more with the stereotype of work-hard, play hard.

Upper Class, sometimes snotty Not accepting of people with different backgrounds (social, ethnic, racial, religious, etc). Couldn't get into Duke Southern (like sweet tea, crocs, pearls, etc). Wake is also known as "Work Forest"

A lot of people think that Wake students are overly preppy and very skinny or in shape. They also think we are all rich and snobby and don't really care about wasting almost $50,000 of our parents money on school.

before coming here I heard a lot of things about wake being extremely preppy and snobby - everyone coming from rich families. Of course I also heard everyone was extremely intelligent.

People think everyone here is really snobby and that Greek life controls life. People also assume everyone here is wealthy and can by whatever they want with their rents money

Students: -White, upper middle class, -Well rounded, motivated School: -cares about its students. -small, very greek -"Work Forest"

One of the main stereotypes about Wake students is that they are a bunch of white, upper-middle class, Southern, frat stars/daddy's girls.