Wake Forest University Top Questions

What is the stereotype of students at your school?

Generally, preppy. I'm warning those of you who DON'T dress in the following apparel to be aware that you will either a) stick to your own personal style and decide to become a clone of the cookie-cutter look or b) conform. Either way, no worries. So back to my point, ahem. In the summer, girls are in Lilly shorts and vineyard vines tops or vice versa. Boys ooze frat appeal in Polo, Vineyard Vines, Lacoste, etc. So there you have preppy; I suppose we're also stereotyped as being smart AND as coming from Daddy's money...and while this stereotype holds true for what SEEMS like 99{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} of the student population, it's not completely accurate.

For people who know the school well, the main stereotype is that students are white, upper class preps. However, the average person you run into just thinks that Wake is a school for smart kids.

Terry

People in recent history loved to label Wake Forest students as a bunch of rich white kids, many of whom will actually strive towards academic achievement. Wake is also known for its heavy course load and rigid academic standards. However, the work-hard/ play-hard mentality is alive and well; studying for many kids is usually post-ceded by binge drinking (and preceded for the Pi Phi's), as having a good time is the only way to take a load off whenever things get tough.

Wade

Preppy, homogeneous, wealthy, smart. Wake Forest = Work Forest.

We work and play hard. I think this is the biggest one. And to be honest, it is pretty true. We have a great time here and the social environment is absolutely great. It's not for everyone but it fits many who come here very well. You will also obtain a great education at Wake Forest. I highly recommend it for a social person who also is willing to learn.

Preppy, Snotty, Rich, Smart, White

Hanna

Preppy, wealthy, athletic, smart, skinny, conservative, no diversity

That the students are white, upper-middle class, Southerners. The girls are "Daddy's girls" and the boys are "Frat-stars"

Preppy, rich, white, over-achievers, homogeneous

Margo

students are very preppy and rich students are still being paid for by their parents students are ignorant to the world outside of Wake's walls students are very religious

Corinne

rich, arrogant, preppy, Republican, conservative, snobby, intelligent, ambitious

People often stereotype Wake students as all the same and extremely preppy. People believe that everyone here is from the south and there is no diversity present.

Students are very preppy and rich.

Becky

Wake students are stereotyped as rich, southern white kids who are spoiled, status-driven and, at times, racist. The campus is very fratty and there is sometimes hostility between greeks and non-greeks. Overall, the greek organization is a wonderful component of the community, but there are some that take it to a different level. Each frat and sorority have very distinct stereotypes. Some sororities are type casted as sluts, rich bitches, dorks, losers, alcoholics and crazy whores. Some fraternities are considered to be racist, losers, gay or sketchy.

A lot of people think that Wake students are overly preppy and very skinny or in shape. They also think we are all rich and snobby and don't really care about wasting almost $50,000 of our parents money on school.

Wake students are generally known as white, preppy, and wealthy.

Upper Class, sometimes snotty Not accepting of people with different backgrounds (social, ethnic, racial, religious, etc). Couldn't get into Duke Southern (like sweet tea, crocs, pearls, etc). Wake is also known as "Work Forest"

Rich, stuck up/snobby, not very diverse

Stuck up rich kids, homogeneous, lots of work and deflated grades

People think everyone here is really snobby and that Greek life controls life. People also assume everyone here is wealthy and can by whatever they want with their rents money

before coming here I heard a lot of things about wake being extremely preppy and snobby - everyone coming from rich families. Of course I also heard everyone was extremely intelligent.

Rich and Snobby students. The School is academically challenging.

Students: -White, upper middle class, -Well rounded, motivated School: -cares about its students. -small, very greek -"Work Forest"

that we're all rich and white and brilliant.

That all the students are rich, white and preppy.

We are preppy and wealthy. We are a very Greek school.

Royce

Wake is known as a school for white, rich kids.

That we come staight from a J.Crew catalog

Rich, smart, preppy.

Steffie

Wake is probably seen by others as an extremely preppy, Southern, conservative school--thanks in good part to the Baptist history it no longer maintains. All of us that go here, however, stick more with the stereotype of work-hard, play hard.

Megs

Rich. White. Greek. Conservative.

Fran

-Everyone has a lot of money

That we're all upper middle class, conservative, Christian white kids.

Stephany

That we are really fratty and drink a lot. We are also considered incredibly conservative with a lot of "Good Old Boys."

preppy, rich, "Work Forest," skinny blond girls, mostly white students

rich, spoiled, very sheltered and unaware of what is going on in the world around them

everyone's rich and white and self-centered

Preppy, white, wealthy, upper-middle class, un-diverse, close-minded

preppy, white, snobby, rich, coke heads

Reese

It's widely known that Wake is at the "preppy" end of the spectrum. It's true that people wear Jack Rogers, Vinyard Vines, and Sperry Topsiders; it does look as though we're living out of a J.Crew catalog. It is also a stereotype that people hail from extremely wealthy families. The thing about stereotypes is that there is a reason why they exist, because, to some extent, it's valid. However, it would be unfair to say that EVERYONE here fit into that mold. There are people who are from middle-class families, people who are here on a full scholarship, and others who are in fact sons and daughters of CEO's. Like the world, it is a mix of people.

That we are all rich, white preppy kids.

Preppy, rich, stuck up, conservative

The girls at wake forest are all skinny. Those who are not blond dye their hair so that they can be. Those who are pale go to tanning beds until their skin looks like orange leather. Everyone wears lily pullitzer, vineyard vines, and pearls. Everyone owns a designer purse, with designer shoes and sunglasses to match. The quality of the items obviously doesn't matter, only that the designer name is plastered across the front to show off. The guys at wake forest wear short shorts and rainbows or sperry's. Guys who join fraternities think they're "so fratty" and guys who don't are outcasts.

melissa

rich, preppy, snobby, super smart, no fun

Wake students are definitely thought as overachieving, WASP-y, conservative, spoiled kids who live off of daddy's money and are probably in a Greek organization.

rich, white, snobby

everyone wears polos. no one dates. greek life is essential. work forest is accurate. everyone is rich.

Wake's student body is considered very good looking and in shape. Wake is said to be extremely hard - work hard, play harder. Wake students are said to be extremely preppy and the girls get very dressed up for classes ans such. There is not much diversity and that especially if the Greek realm everyone seems the same.

Wake students are supposed to be preppy and wealthy. Like all college students, we drink a lot and are very shallow.