Wake Forest University

« See more reviews of Wake Forest University

It goes without saying that the first year of college will always be one of the most emotional and impactful moments of your life. You learn, live, play, sleep, eat, and discover, all while enjoying an independent lifestyle. With these new experiences comes the inevitable ups and downs that you must face during that first year of college. It is because these are such life-changing events that you must choose an institution that bests suits you in all manners of being: academics, career-placement, extracurricular, and personal choices. Most importantly, you, as a student, must be able to completely visualize yourself at the place of learning. You must be able to see yourself in the classroom, walking the campus grounds, engaging in the occasional debauchery, and eating the terrible food. Most importantly, however, you must be able to be yourself. After all, this is what truly constitutes as a college experience. Now the parents may not want to see their chickadee(s) leave the nest, but this is an important step, so be supportive(!) and keep your wallets and your hearts open. Students, be: grateful for everything your parents have done (and will do), curious, bold, and laugh heartily.

In addition to the obvious argument that my college degree will afford me greater employment opportunities, an equally compelling consideration is how my college experience is shaping me personally. As a student at Wake Forest, I am becoming a more well rounded person. It is shaping my communication skills, making me more methodical and organized, and exposing me to a whole new world of learning. Moreover, it has given me the ability to see the right path and work for peace and prosperity. Our university motto, “Pro Humanitate” teaches each of us the importance of caring for one’s fellow man and the world in which we live. “For Humanity” fosters an atmosphere of thinking and action, inspiring us to organize service projects worldwide. This attitude gives us a healthy, positive value system and through interaction with those we serve, a deeper understanding of human nature. I feel confident that my college education will not only allow me to successfully contribute economically to the world in which I live, but also allow me make the world in which I live a better place for others. For that reason, my college education may be the most valuable investment I ever make.

When I was looking for a college, I knew I wanted to attend a small university that would not only challenge me academically, but also provide diverse arenas for an active and involved social life. Wake Forest has exceeded my wildest expectations. Academically, my classes are not just educational. In many cases, they are inspirational. My professors are always engaging and seem genuinely interested in me as an individual. And Wake Forest makes it easy for its students to experience a multi-faceted life outside of the classroom. My extra-curricular experiences range from philanthropic to athletic, to artistic, to just plain social fun! My very rewarding involvement in the Brian Piccolo Foundation, participation in team tennis, Demon Divas - an a cappella singing group, and membership in Delta Zeta sorority only begin to touch the surface of my involvement on campus. Wake Forest offers me a rich learning environment, encouraging not only academic excellence but also strong personal growth. I am proud of the person I am becoming as a student of Wake Forest University and grateful for the opportunities it has provided me. I will forever be a proud Demon Deacon!

I got an excellent education at Wake Forest. My Civil Wars class, for instance, went beyond the “what” of political crises and instead focused on the “why” and “how.” I also got much out of my work with Amnesty International. As co-president, I organized an awareness event on the LRA, Hunger Banquet, Domestic Violence event, and myriad other campagns. Last spring I studied abroad in London, which gave me the chance to take courses different from what I was used to. Taking historical tours around London, going to museums and theatre weekly, and researching the colonialism in Uganda as independent research broadened by intellectual horizons, especially since I was in the relevent context. London taught me how to glean more from what I read in books, and see in artwork and on stage. I became more culturally aware by being a tourist in London, Italy and Greece, where I traveled for spring break. Understanding the difficulty of language and cultural barriers gave me a new appreciation for the struggles of immigrants in the US. While ultimately I left Wake Forest for personal reasons, I gained much academically from the two years I was there.

In my experience, making the college decision was about finding the "perfect fit" where I would be guaranteed happiness--a school with a well-rounded student body, smaller classes to facilitate teacher-student relations, respected academics, and strong school spirit. I also looked for parts of the country I would voluntarily live post-graduation in the event that my first job surfaced there--temperature and location ARE worthy factors. However, in looking back at my own decision and those of my friends, it seems that there really is no completely wrong answer. There is no way to "fail" in picking out a college because in reality, choosing to take the path of education is the most valuable decision to make. There will be great professors & there will be not so great professors, just as there will be great people and not so great people to befriend. Dig deep and ask probing questions--remember, the tour guides are instructed to steer away from answering questions that shed a poor light. Don't ask about what they like about the school, ask what changes they would like to see on campus. Know yourself, have your priorities, and you won't go wrong!

I am the first person in my generation in my family to attend a reputable college or university with their sights set on graduating. Wake Forest University has afforded me opportunities that I could not have dreamed of years ago, both on an academic and social level. Wake Forest has granted me the ability to work and volunteer in fields I love , the ability to become part of a close-knit community of avid sports fans, academians, and wholesome people. It has linked me with over 100,000 women as part of the Greek system. Wake Forest has currently provided me with the gift of studying abroad, allowing me to spend 4 months living , working, and studying overseas through an affiliate program for Wake Forest graduation credit. Wake Forest's professors care about their students. As a freshman on campus, I became very ill and fainted in seminar I awoke to my professor soothing me until medical personnel arrived, and then she accompanied me to the hospital, and stayed six hours in the emergency room although we had never spoken and had met a week before. This is a unique faculty-student relationship that can only be cultivated by cohesiveness

The modern day college process is in need of serious reform. Activities like paying thousands of dollars to a specialist , combing through endless books, or going on college trips freshman year of high school may help you get into the "perfect" school. They also might make absolutely no difference and distract you from the important pieces of the college selection process. The immense pressure that high schoolers put on themselves to get into a specific college is simply counterproductive. Worrying will not help your GPA, or get you through the gilded gate of your choice university. Instead of that behavior, simply start the process with an open mind. When you remove those burdens you'll find that there is not a handful but dozens of institutions in which you would be happy. Your first action should be to go to your school counselor. There you can establish a broad definition of where you could be accepted. After that do research online and get one or two good books to give you a feel for what you might like. Simply visit these places, and you will soon be surprised by the plethora of fantastic options for those joyous for years.

Beginning with the summer prior to your junior year of high school, you will begin to receive an umlimited amount of advice as to your collegiate future. It will likely range in form from themes such as, "If you hate high school, then you will love college" and "College will be the best four years of your life" to "Follow the money: you should choose whichever school offers you the most financial aid." During my time in college, however, I have found that the reality you will eventually live with does not always agree with the misleading, albeit honest, advice that you once received. The decision as to the right college for YOU should ultimately be left up to YOU. Take your time and outline those characteristics that you find most attractive in an academic environment and potential home, because it will be both of things, and more. The decision you make is not only for your academic training, but for your social, emotional, and otherwise personal development, as well. Ultimately, remember that the decision is for YOU, so that you can decide how you will spend the best years of your life--whether they are during college or afterwards.

While attending CCBC Dundalk, I have learned many techniques to help prepare me for a 4 year university. I have learned great study habits, short hand wrtiing, and time management. Not only has this experience prepared me for the next level of education(4-year university), but has taught me how to speak properly and how to comprehend what I read. One class that has helped me alot in community college was my ACDV class. This class has taught me everythnig about CCBC, time management, what credits transfer to university's, and helped me setup my upcoming semesters, with classes that are required for an Engineering Degree. I would agree that going to college and taking the classes that I have taken so far are very valuable knowing the credits go towards my degree. Also these classes are preparing me for the University I would like to attend to so I can continure taking the necessary classes to recieve my Master's in Aurospace Engineering. Therefore, not only is this college experience valuable to me, but also very valuable to my family since they have put in alot of effort into helping me be a very successful graduate.

There is no "right place" for any one student, and a good deal of the decision should depend on what feels most comfortable for each individual. Narrowing a list down based on size, location, afordability, or other general criteria can bring you to an excellent starting point, but visiting and interacting with students is vital to getting a real taste for what the school is like. On paper, some universities will seem like a perfect fit and others will not; these views may be drastically reshaped after a weekend on campus. One very critical point to keep in mind is, DO NOT select a school because you think you should go there based on its academic reputation compared to all the alternative colleges or universities you have been accepted to. There are hundreds of quality colleges/universities in the US. A diploma is just a piece of paper, it tells very little about what you learned in college other than your area of academic concentration. The amount of effort you put into your academic studies and what you choose to do during your collegiate years will carry you in the next phase in life, not the name on your diploma.