Wake Forest University Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Wake Forest University

Emma

Wake Forest University is an amazing school with outstanding academics and plenty of opportunities to be involved. It also offers plenty of opportunities for career preparation both inside and outside of the classroom. However, there is too heavy of a focus on Greek life at times, and the school seriously lacks in diversity. This school could improve by increasing racial, ethnic, religious, and socioeconomic diversity on campus.

Excellent academics, amazing campus resources. Winston is a great place for all kinds of activities, with good mountain trails, a lake, and good shopping and food nearby. Class sizes are great, although the campus is growing and therefor class sizes are also increasing.

N

Beautiful campus and the students seemed happy

Nana

I loved my first year at Wake Forest. I've met some really great friends through services provided by the university: pre-orientation programs, dorm life, and work study. I enjoyed all of the classes I took, even if they were just to satisfy a divisional. I am very glad to say that I've learned in every class setting. The class sizes are perfect: they are small enough to the point where every student can intellectually contribute to the conversation. This also helps with getting to know the professor and establishing a relationship outside of the classroom. My only issue about Wake Forest is the fact that it prides on diversity. Yes, it is diverse compared to other schools in North Carolina, but as a minority I would like to see more services or events that helps the minority population feel more included.

John

We loved our visit to Wake Forest. It was initially very attractive as a small southern school, but it provides big school opportunities. The campus was gorgeous. All the people we encountered, even those not associated with the admissions tour, seemed friendly, happy, and courteous. As you might expect, the admission staff was upbeat and positive. EXCEPT the Director of Admissions. He comes across arrogant and is very passive aggressive in his email responses. The tone in his emails really detracted from my child's desire to apply and attend. There is no telling what will make the decision for a student. In our applications and tours at numerous high schools across the nation (we are military family that moved every two years) it was always shocking the weight of one personal interaction holds on a decision. Clearly, and ironically, my child's decision not to apply fell solely on his interaction with the DIRECTOR OF ADMISSIONS.

Imani

Wake Forest can be intimidating when you first get there, but there are definitely resources available there to help support you. As long as you take advantage of them, you will be fine. It is also pretty easy to find a place to fit in since there are so many different organizations to become a part of. Everyone is encouraged to be involved and push themselves to reach their fullest potential. Overall, this school is great because of its constant exposure to new and exciting opportunities. I am glad that I decided to come here.

Lydia

It's my dream school and I love it despite some areas where it may be lacking.

Azaria

Wake forest was a beautiful campus and the students and faculty are so friendly! My family and I got lost and a group of students were kind enough to help us back to the group! The ZSR library is so beautiful and was filled with some kind of study group or students just studying. I would highly recommend everybody to go visit this school. It definitely moved up my list of colleges to apply to!

Yongkai

It's a well-known school with feature like small class size and rich educational resources. Professors are mostly very welcoming and helpful. The clubs and organizations spread all over the campus for sure, and many people are involved in those activities. As for fraternities and sororities, they are pretty popular in our school, at least half of the students are part of Greek life. Therefore the party culture is kind of big in our campus in the mid of week or weekends.

Claudia

Classes are very small which allow you to truly know your classmates and professors. Social life is great, freshman year you are forced to have a random roommate which is an awesome way to meet someone new and learn great skills that make you grow as a person. I love Wake and would not trade it for another school.

Julia

Wake Forest University's motto is "Pro humanitate", or, "for humanity", which is very fitting. Another very fitting motto is "Work Forest", as it is lovingly referred to by us students. There's always work to be done, but don't take that negatively. If you come to Wake you will be busy. Always. A student is never without something to do, be it homework, a party, hanging out with friends, bunking away on of Z. Smith Reynolds Library's eight floors, extracurriculars, a job, greek life, anything. Mother So Dear is never without activities to fill your every waking, and sometimes sleeping, hour.

Brian

ugilvu.khnbhkjgdh,knjbvfdytuikl,mnbvcgfuiljkbnvcxftuyiljkbvcgflk;jhgfdgytuiljkbvcfgdytruioljkhgfdryerutiyhljkghdfyrtuyihjkghjhfdryetruytiuhjkghjghfgsrytruyugjhlgkhjhfsryeturyitulhj,vmcxfgsyturyiugjlghcghfsgryeturyitugkjhfjgdhfsryeturyitulgjkhfjgdhfsryeturyitugjhghfstdyfulihkjghcjgd

Mia

It is an amazing school that offers several different opportunities to students as early as their freshman year. The teachers and students are all dedicated to achieving true academic greatness and each strive to enhance their knowledge about the world around them. The environment was warm and inviting on my visit and was a huge factor in me applying to attend there for my freshman year in college. I am extremely excited to be a member of the Demon Deacon family this coming fall as a member of the 2022 class!

Brianna

I like to rate schools based on the 4 C's: 1. Classes 2. Cuisine 3. Cool-Hang outs 4.Climate (social and weather) This is actually the first time I will be using this method as I have just finished my very first year at Wake Forest University. First things first, classes. From my experience as well as my other classmates that attend WFU, most classes class sizes were comfortable. There are only a few extremely large classes and even those were on the small side in comparison to other large colleges and universities. There are always a few difficult/unreasonable teachers in every school. However I rarely hear of any at Wake. I have enjoyed all of my classes and all of my professors are extremely passionate about what they teach and how students learn. Next, cuisine. There are two main cafeterias. One on the North part of campus and one on the south side of campus. Both are affectionately called the "Pit." Both locations have pretty decent food. Actually exceptional food. There are a variety of healthy options and not-so-healthy options. There are specific stations for vegetarians and gluten-free diners. Aside from these two cafeterias there are PLENTY of restaurants to choose from. Chick Fil A, Moe's, Boar's Head, 2 Starbucks, a student run coffee shop, and student favorite's such as Shorty's, Zick's, and Bistro. Wake Forest is about 10-15 minutes away from downtown Winston-Salem. However there are shuttle services that run during the week and on the weekends to many different places in the Winston Salem area, ensuring that students are able to visit all the different “hang outs” Winston Salem has to offer. There are also plenty of parties and events that take place on campus tp ensure there is never a dull moment. Finally, the climate. We deal with your standard unpredictable North Carolina weather. Cold winters with a few inches of snow, sweltering summers, and confusing springs/falls. As for the social climate, greek life is not a MUST but is definitely common. There are hundreds of clubs and organizations to get involved in and many opportunities to discover your passions through the countless social interactions. Overall Wake Forest has been an outstanding, welcoming, and comfortable home away from home. It won’t be hard for anyone to find their place.

Ammar

Summary: Wake Forest University is a focused school. I know its cliche, but people really do work hard, play hard. Unfortunately, this translates to a very large greek scene, and if you don't have a group or know who you are and find people with interests like yours, you'll often feel stranded if you aren't going out. Have no fear! There are people for you, you just gotta hunt for them. You won't feel pressured to go out or go to frats/parties if you aren't into that (unless its your own friends pressuring you, which is your choice). Due to the spring rush, frats do not push to attract people. The people who are into the scene distinguish themselves in the fall, leaving campus quieter and giving a more pleasant environment. Additionally, students from more diverse backgrounds will feel the campus is rather white-washed, and may feel isolated or different. This is an unfortunate truth to campus, and if you don't know where to go you will continue to feel that way. There are organizations and people for you, but I stress that you need to hunt diligently. Seek out places and people like the Black Student Organization (BSA), or the Intercultural Center (IC). Academically, professors are wonderful. Ask your seniors for recommendations on who to take, be wary of your class selection and you should be fine. You can feel like you have a lot of work to do at times, especially as a freshman, but you can overcome it with good scheduling. Its fairly easy to get on and off campus, with regular shuttles, and shuttles you can call late-night on the weekend. Which is great if you just want to go out eating with friends in town, or are old enough to get into the alcohol scene off-campus. (not that it isn't EASILY available on-campus, to a ludicrous degree.) There are also plenty of events on campus, but if you don't know where to look, you'll really get bored on Friday and Saturday nights. Check out the club registrar. Food is decent, with event food being pretty great. There have been steady improvements that are slowly raising the food to fairly strong level in my opinion. The student union and student government have pushed changes for diversity and bigger selection, and so far, so good. Freshmen live all together on the south side of campus, which is a phenomenal choice, since it allows them to live with people of their own experience and form friend groups, and keeps the freshmen out of everyone else's hair. Overall, fairly good. If they continue to expand the number of minorities on campus and remove some of the prevalence of frats, it will really be a superb place to be.

Dominique

Work Forest - where your best hasn't been good enough since 1834. As a rising senior I can confirm that Wake has definitely earned its nickname "Work Forest". I graduated from high school with a grade point average of over a 4.0, and here at Wake... let's just say it's not that. During these four years students try to combat the academic stress being inflicted upon them, while parents are annually and increasingly victimized by the financial assaults that Wake calls “tuition”. (During my freshman year, tuition was $65,072. It is now $70,380.) Diversity could also be improved. I know every minority on campus by name because it feels as though there are only ten of us. Most students are fabulously wealthy and Caucasian. They drive Porches, Mercedes, and BMWs; and you will often find them wearing lululemon, Vineyard Vines, and sorority/fraternity paraphernalia. Nonetheless, I cannot think of a university that I would rather attend. Ranked twenty-seventh in the nation by U.S. News & World Report, there is no doubt that Wake Forest is a great institution. Wake has a faculty to student ratio of 10:1; they offer hundreds of study abroad programs and hundreds organizations to participate in; the campus is beautiful; we have a ninety-eight percent employment rate upon graduation, etc. Wake also has resources for any need a student could possibly have (i.e. the Learning Assistance Center, the Office of Personal and Career Development, the LGBTQ center, the Intercultural Center, etc.) If a faculty member cannot solve a student’s dilemma, he or she will put the student in contact with someone who can. Professors also genuinely want to get to know their students. In fact, last night my professor had myself and a group of students over at his house for dinner. Because of Wake Forest and the opportunities given by the institution, I have been able to double-major in Politics & International Affairs and Sociology, with concentrations in American Government and Crime & Criminal Justice. I am a third-year member of WFU’s dance team; I work for the WFU Police Department as the student supervisor of Deacon Student Patrol; I mentor freshman international students through a program called Friendship Beyond Borders; I am a third-year member of a Christian worship group called Athletes in Action; and I am a tour guide for WFU’s athletic department. This summer I will be participating in a law internship in Dublin, Ireland. In the fall of 2017 I will be studying abroad in Venice, Italy, while residing in a house (located on the canal,) that Wake Forest owns. I love Wake Forest, and the opportunities and connections students can obtain by going here are unbeatable. GO DEACS!

Wake Forest University is very good academic wise but there could be more done on the diversity side of things. The professors are always available to help with topics regarding class and outside subjects. There are multiple opportunities for students to get involved on campus.

Sicily

Unfortunately, I really didn't enjoy it. Party life was too big, and there was a definite hivemind. There was not much in the way of diversity in any sense, and it was an aggressively conservative campus among the students. I didn't fit in and I wasn't comfortable . My friends were professors. I graduated in three years because I was so dissatisfied. It was also run like a business; there was little to no thought with regards to how things ultimately affected students and professors.

Dario

Wake Forest University is a school that heavily emphasizes the importance of academics. However, there is also an emphasis on being well-balanced. Students are known for maintaining a balance between academics, extracurriculars and having fun. There are a number of different outlets that people can plug into based on varying interests.

Shelley

I will be honest. I guessed on most of this scholarship. I am a student here, but I am solely online. I am also only studying counseling, clinical mental health, but that option did not pop up. What I can say is they are amazing with online students. They have so many resources for me to use and are easily contacted. They even gave me a counselor of sorts who checks in every month to make sure things are going well. If personal life interferes with my classes they work with me to make sure I won't fall behind, and ask about how life is outside of school. They genuinely want to see me succeed. And I love it. I hope to be considered for this scholarship, and hope you don't mind that I know about the school from an online perspective, rather than on campus.

Meredith

I love Wake Forest. We are currently expanding and renovating our campus. A new "innovation center" downtown just opened where there are now more courses offered and provides more locations to study off campus. There is a shuttle that runs every 15 minutes from campus to downtown allowing for an easy commute. We provide a community where everyone wants to see each other thrive. There is little academic competition between the students, rather we work together to help our friends to excel. It is a very friendly campus where people in Greek life are friends with members in other fraternities/soroities as well as people who are not in Greek life. I love everything about Wake forest, there is definitely a "work hard, play hard" atmosphere but academics always comes first. There is very little pressure to do something that you don't want to do because we all understand the Wake is a hard school. But when the test is over, we do know how to enjoy the short lived freedom. I could not imagine going to another school, I love it.

It is a beautiful campus with very nice people and great faculty. It is also a trustworthy environment you could leave your laptop and no one would steal it. However, it is a somewhat homogeneous community and people who are not the typical preppy person sort of stick out from the crowd. Girls definitely dress up for class I have only been here for a few weeks and its definitely noticeable. Greek life is very prevalent some girls wear their sorority t- shirts to class. Even if you are different their are communities and groups where you could find your niche. But so far, people are really friendly and I have not met anyone I don't like. I love my experience here and I wouldn't change it for the world

Caroline

The best place to ever learn! If you are searching for a place that has it all - this is it! Wake Forest has everything, sports, politics, social events, resources, volunteer opportunities, and so on. You don't make friends here, you make family! This has been such a life-changing experience.

Gabriella

As an incoming Freshman and having spent a great deal of time over the last two years visiting, getting to know the student body, admissions office, financial, office, departments and campus as well as parents I am extremely blessed to be attending Wake Forest University. I love Winston-Salem, Reynolda House and Museum, the gardens and the city over all. Very friendly campus and I feel welcomed, safe and that they genuinely care about me as an individual. I am encouraged to pursue my medical schools dreams but also study world religions and participate in drama. I loveour that service is a priority for Wake Forest and our motto Pro-Humanitate represents what Wake Forest embraces and advocates not just for the students but its faculty and administration. I will be bringing my foundation Loving Smile to campus and I am honored and humbled to be a Demon Deacon!

Cayla

Wake Forest is the University for me. The small class sizes make it easier to learn and have a close relationship to the professors who will check up on you if you are absent and are willing to move their schedules to help you. The people are friendly and the campus is beautiful. Wake Forest Feels like a community more than a boring college campus.

Karin

I would recommend Wake Forest to any student looking for a great education. I loved my time on campus. Going to Wake Forest made me a stronger person over the four years I attended. During my time at Wake I studied abroad, joined a sorority, and received an excellent education. My criticisms come mostly from my experience with the student body. Social dynamics are a big part of Wake Forest, and I felt like an outlier for not being part of 15 different clubs or events. There's a work hard, party harder attitude in the student body, so if you're not into the frat scene it will be a bit more challenging for you to socialize on the weekends. At least, that's true early on. By senior year people mostly grow out of that. In terms of the university my only complaint is that they don't provide much career support. Since I was in the business school I was prepared for the job search, but my liberal arts friends seemed to be on their own when it came time to find employment. If you're looking to meet intelligent people and engaging professors, then Wake Forest is the place to be. I still communicate with my professors, and I love the friends I made - both within and outside my sorority. I'd definitely recommend attending Wake Forest University.

Melissa

I just started my master's program at Wake Forest University. So far, it has been a pleasure working with my academic adviser. The application process was a breeze and the webcam interview wasn't too bad. I'm looking forward to beginning. Everyone I have reached out to for questions have been prompt in their response time.

Blake

My Overall Opinion of Wake Forest University is that the school is incredibly beautiful and has amazing facilities that I strongly believe and know that I can learn and make my career goals come true with the way Wake offers excellent pathways and how they support the students in anything and everything they do at all time. The school makes me feel at home and every time the sun goes up at Wake, I feel butterflies in my stomach and the first thought that comes to my mind is that I'm going to have a very good and successful day, whether its going to class to learn or heading to the court to train. The environment at Wake is indescribable, I was speechless when I visited, I couldn't look at any other school but Wake. I knew when I first stepped foot on campus thats where I want too be for my next 4 years of my life and then hopefully, apply to their medical school to do my Doctors Of Chiropractic.

Haven

I have not been in attendance for very long yet at Wake Forest University, but from what I have experienced it is a very academic campus, and the school aims to meet as many extracurricular and scholarly needs as possible. No campus is perfect, and I do wish WFU would address more social issues, but the institution itself is overall very accommodating, with staff that do want the best for attending students.

Jade

During my time there, Wake Forest felt like a very isolated, academically rigorous institution full of students who cared mostly about making beneficial financial connections rather than creating deeply meaningful and genuine friendships. This changed for me once I had the opportunity to study abroad. I was able to make friends, become fluent in Spanish and broaden my horizons. Wake Forest had a multitude of study abroad programs to choose from, if there's anywhere in the world you'd like to study, Wake Forest has an opportunity for you!

Eman

Wake Forest is the perfect university. It has everything a college student wants. It not only help students to develop education wise, but also personality wise.

Hailey

I love Wake Forest because it feels like a home away from home. All people are different, and this institution tries to uphold its values. I am more than joyful about current plans to change the racial climate on campus and add another sect to the Presidential student-staff. As a student of color, it makes me feel like race relations are finally being taken as seriously as our academics. I plan to continue to work hard to continue changing the current climate, as that is something I am overly confident and hopeful about. The academics are stellar, and the professors usually care about your best interest. Wake Forest is a fun college environment, and I vow to work with other students to strengthen its qualities as a whole.

A beautiful campus with great academics, but Greek Life dominates every social aspect on that campus. That's why I transferred. I felt as though I was looking for more from my peers. I wanted to be surrounded by people who weren't looking to get black-out drunk every weekend.

Sam

Most housing options are nice but the registration process screws over a lot of people. The food in the dining halls is great - there are lots of healthy options and good variety - although the restaurants in Benson could be improved. Greek life is huge and competitive, especially if you are a guy. It is not the end all be all, but it definitely is a big part of people's campus experiences. It is definitely more dominant your first two years. There are bars and clubs downtown which draw solid crowds Wednesdays and sometimes Fridays/Saturdays but it is mostly Fraternity lounge/house parties or tailgates/dartys that are most popular. The academics have been both impressive and unimpressive for me. I have really appreciated the small class sizes and the accessibility of resources and professors. Yet, maybe just because I am a freshman in mostly intro classes, I have felt that a few of my professors do not have great teaching skills. The workload is heavy, probably around 2-4 hours a day, but very manageable if you can stay focused. Last, I would say that overall the school does a solid job of providing students with ample opportunities. There are many networking opportunities, there is an amazing fitness center, there are countless academic advisors and tutors, and there are tons of study abroad opportunities. Although Wake frustrates me at times, particularly the social scene and the housing/class registration process, in hindsight I really do appreciate this place. No college is perfect, and in comparison to the schools that my other friends attend Wake is just so much better in its balance of academics, community, opportunity and social scene.

Rylee

I love attending Wake Forest University and am grateful for the opportunities it provides me to grow intellectually and personally. The faculty and staff are extremely willing to help and genuinely want the best for Wake Forest students. The culture on campus is well-balanced, and it is easy to find your sense of belonging; Whether you enjoy athletics, arts, politics, our spending time outdoors, there is a niche for everyone at Wake Forest University. The professors challenge students to think critically and strive to positively impact the world in ways big or small. Overall, attending Wake Forest University has exposed me to new people, different perspectives, and a variety of beliefs that have allowed me to progress and succeed as an individual.

Mary

Wake Forest is an amazing school with the best of the best faculty and facilities. I always feel safe not only on campus but in the community. Wake Forest is the perfect environment, encouraging constant, deep learning but also promoting growth of the individual.

Ella

Wake Forest for me personally was just not the right fit. While the academics and professors are top notch, the horror of the social scene completely outweighs the pros for this school. The influence of Greek life on campus is overwhelming and the party culture/mob mindset can be isolating for those who don’t adhere to this lifestyle. There is little to no diversity here, and many students (though putting up a good act on the outside) are highly depressed and miserable. I find it sad that the faculty and administration are aware of the social culture here yet have not done anything to address it- there is a general feeling of “this is the way Wake students are and we can’t change it.” To say the least, I am not surprised by how frequently WFU is on the news, and not for its positive attributes. If you are a party-every-weeknight and put-academics-second kind of person, Wake is the place for you. However, if you are a student who values education prioritizes academics above drinking, go to a school with less of a southern & Greek culture- you will be much happier.