Raleigh, NC
Wake Technical Community College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Wake Technical Community College

Andrew

WakeTech is full of diversity because it is located near the heart of the State. The fact that it is a commuter school also adds to the diversity. People both young and old go to WakeTech. It is also a part of the North Carolian C-Step program which allows students to recieve his/her AS and transfer to any number of in state schools.

The best thing about WakeTech is the size of the classrooms. Instead of large lecture halls WakeTech is comprised of smaller rooms allowing for more one on one teaching. This is great because it allows students such as myself to feel included in lectures.

Felipe

Students are focused, diligent, and determined to pass their classes in the best possible of ways. Most of them have part-time, full-time jobs or families that they need to take care of. Although one can make good acquaintances and a few good friends, there is not much priority for social interaction among students since many of them are busy enough with their own life. Most of them are decent, educated persons who are willing to offer their help if asked.

Spending time in unproductive activities during college hours and frequently pulling of all-nighters to finish projects that were poorly done and graded, I was among the many students for whom the concepts of proper time management and effective study methodology were completely unknown. I would tirelessly rote-review my class-notes the night before a test to end up failing or passing with a C; nevertheless, I finally realized that this ill-devised modus operandi would drive me to utter academic disaster had not I changed my strategy. Thankfully, by reading the book “How to Become a Straight-A Student” by Cal Newport, I have learned that an excellent time management and effective study methodology are the foundations of academic success; were I a high-school senior again, I would advise myself to especially value and exercise them. By understanding and remembering better subjects, scoring better grades in exams and essays, and by getting more work done in less time than ever before, I have become a more efficient and diligent person in all aspects, and I shall achieve academic and professional success by applying the techniques described in Newport’s book and by exercising the two foundations aforementioned.

There is not enough support for cultural or social events in Wake Tech. Days tend to be very monotonous, for the focus is mainly academic. The activities done by the directors or the student government association are not really interesting at all and do not promote any trascendental or conscious cultural value in my opinion.

Wake Tech is an exceptional school. It is an incredible school that truly cares about it's students. Wake Tech wants every student to succeed and to accomplish greatness. There are many ways a student can get plugged in whether it be through clubs or sports. It is the largest community college in North Carolina. It has over 180 programs of study.

You need to buy scantrons and a lot of paper. The scantrons are for quizzes and tests; the paper is for taking a LOT of class notes.

If you are going to be a college freshman, go onto ratemyprofessor.com. You won't regret it.

Describe a typical weekend.

A typical weekend consists of doing homework and hanging out with friends & family.

Tell us about your professors.

The professors are super, nice, awesome, helpful, encouraging, and amazing.

What are the most popular classes offered?

Psychology, sociology, and British Literature are the most popular.

What do students complain about most?

Parking is horrendous, unless you get to school earlier than 8am.

Describe the dorms.

Wake Tech does't have dorms.

Do you feel like you changed a lot?

I have changed a lot. I used to be super naive about political issues, but a lot of my teachers go over current events. I have also learned how to study better and to ask more questions in class. I am not afraid to get help from teachers and classmates anymore. I use the help centers as much as possible.

What's the dating scene like?

Thankfully, you don't see a lot of couples around campus.

What do people really wear to class?

Most people wear jeans or shorts. The majority of the students dress neatly and modestly.

Where is the best place to get work done on campus?

The library, the Quad, the cafe, and the hallways are the best places to get studying done.

The classes are challenging, but amazing. The professors always have office hours, where they can give extra assistance to their students. Every class will challenge each student and a student will come out of the class well prepared in that subject.

michaela

You're young; you're starting your own life and becoming an adult. How exciting, right? You're going to make so many friends, and your "best friend" is going to the same school as you, but you have to leave your boyfriend behind. What if he cheats? When will you be able to see him agian? I hope we're going to be able to stay together. Don't think about stuff like that. Seriously! You are going to miss out on so much stuff if you go home every weekend to see him. Yeah, you're going to get home sick, but you are going to miss out on what college is really about if you're worried all the time. You're going to make friends, life long friends, that will be there for you no matter what. The "friends" you had in high school are not your real friends. You're going to find yourself and you're going to figure out who you really are. But, you're never going to really experience college if you're worried all the time. Have fun! Worry about yourself not someone else! Experience life!

Takes a very long time to get financial aid. I am having to wait over a month to get my loan to pay for books and supplies. I am having to pay for all of this out of my pocket right now because it is taking so long.

John

Pretty campus, small class size.

Pretty campus, small class size.

Use your time wisely. College has more fast paced and difficult courses and a student needs to make the most of his/her time in order to give coursework the necessary time to sink in completely. And since you are are on your own, time must be allowed for eating, sleeping, washing clothes, working out, and other necessary activities as well.

Course Material. Knew a lot about electronics when I left.

Abbe

Wake Technical Community College is great for what it is, a community college. It has nice hallways, elevators, classrooms, helpful professors, and even a coffee shop. The education recieved from going there is worth while. Almost any University will accepted the classes taken at Wake Tech. As far as community colleges go, it is the best one I have been to.

Like most seventeen year old high school seniors, I was ready to graduate. I had such desire to want to do things on my own and be respected as an adult. I wasn't thinking about what my life would be like in the next year. If I could go back in time and give myself advice on transitioning into college, it would be to apply for as many colleges as I can. Most everyone around me was already telling me to do so, but I was not thinking enough about my future school and I should have done more research on colleges. I probably missed out on some great opportunities. In the end it ended up working out for me, starting out at a community college and saving money was a smart choice. I am transferring to a really great deisgn school in the fall, but if I had just done more research and believed in myself just a little more, I would probably have gotten into the design school or another great school sooner. I just didn't believe I could get in, I didn't care enough, and it wasn't my first priority at the time.

I am one of the very many individuals that drives to school every day. Parking at Wake Technical Community College is a nightmare. I have seen more bumper to bumper accidents in the parking lots at my school than ever before. Yes, there is a parking deck about five stories high that is mostly always half empty, but it is two miles away from the school. Nobody wants to park so far away and walk, when you can just follow someone to their car, wait for them to pull out, and then quickly take their spot before anyone else does.

Going to a community college does not make you a loser. It's going to be hurt when your best friends are tweeting about their acceptance letters and posting pictures with their roommates on move-in day. It'll be anticlimatic when you come home after your first day of class to the house you came home to every day after class in high school. But do not compare yourself to anyone else. Grow and learn and thrive in your circumstances. Don't waste your freshman year of college wishing you were somewhere else- even when you transfer, you will never get this freshman year back. Be in love with your life now.

Out of the seven classes I've taken at Wake Tech, not one has had more than 35 students in it. The small class sizes give you the opportunity for collaboration with fellow students and individual instruction from your professors. Besides being personal, Wake Tech is also extremely affordable. If you're not sure about what you want to do after high school, you can explore your options and interests here while being financially savvy.

Attending a community college wasn't something I planned on doing. Although it's been a good experience for me and has allowed me to work through some personal struggles, it's hard not getting the "full college experience." Really outgoing people might feel limited here, as school activities and clubs aren't very big and most students are here just to fulfill General Ed requirements or to go back to school.

Hettie

Gettting you prepared to go to a four year college.

Gettting you prepared to go to a four year college.

Believe in yourself. Set goals and stick to them. Don't let anyone tell you that you dreams will not come true. Know that if you wont it you must work hard for it. Nobody is going to give you a hand out.

Learning how to study all over again. Believing in yourself.

Thomas

What is unique about Wake Technical Community College compared to other schools I have considered, is saving money on tuition as well as saving money on commuting. The classes that I am currently talking are less expensive than a major university and the classes will transfer to the university that I will attend in the fututre. My commute to Wake Technical Community College is a short distance from where I currently reside.

If i could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, this is the advice i would convey. High school differs from college in many ways. You are required to attend high school and get your diploma. The teachers want you to graduate. Most of the high school teachers will do every thing they can to help you pass. In college you are not required to attent. No one is forcing you to go. The college professors donot care if you attend their class. You have to take the initiative to want to learn and succede. In order to succede in college, you have to be able to balance your social life with your academic life. College courses are gererally more advanced which means you have to spend more time on assignments and studying for exams. So take my advice, if you put the proper amount of effort in your college studies you will succeed.

The most frustrating thing about my school is ithat it 's overcrowded. There is rarely any parking and the student - teacher ratio seems to be excessive. The classroom sizes are often small.

Charles

I would tell myself that work is more important than having fun. Take more of an initiative in my own life and not to rely on others for help or to carry me. The most important thing i would tell myself is not to procrastinate. As a senior i procrastinated to the point where i had to put school off a year. I relied on everyone else to get me information about school , work, and anything else that i was too lazy to do myself. I realized how much i was going to miss out on in life if I continued to act the way i was. So if I had realized this sooner i wouldn't have missed out on so many opportunites.

Wake Technical Community College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.