Minneapolis, MN

Walden University

« See more reviews of Walden University

Dear Texa, Walking across the stage for your high school diploma is the best feeling in the world. You have accomplished something no other member of your family has. You may not know what to do from here, but I strongly encourage the following bits of advice: 1.Don’t get with Johnny or David – no matter how charming they are. 2.GO TO COLLEGE! You may not know what to study, but by taking the general electives, you will soon discovery your talent for psychology. This passion will soon lead you to discover that you really want to make a difference in the lives of abused women and children. You will also find that you have a talent and a passion for photography. 3.Get the psychological help you need to overcome your abusive past. This will make you a stronger person overall. 4.VOLUNTEER! Volunteering at children’s advocacy centers will not only help future scholarships, but will make you a well-rounded individual. 5.Never give up. No matter what stands in your way, you will find that you CAN do this! 6.ALWAYS put God first. Go to church and study His word. Love, Texa

I would tell myself that I should apply for scholarships for colleges since I want a better life for myself. I would have to come up with a list of colleges that I would like to attend based upon my major and if the college is accredited or not. I would talk to all of the enrollment advisors at the different colleges that I chose about their financial aid, and about academic advising. I also would enroll in the college that fit me best right after college since I will be more educated in the healthcare field at an early age. After I finish my first degree, I would want to enroll in college for a second degree. I believe an individual cannot receive too much education. The more education an individual receives the more knowledgeable and successful the individual will be in life. I would also understand that I will receive no refunds since I want all the funds go towards my college education. I would give my all to keep between a 3.5-4.0 grade average. During my spare time, I would volunteer at different clinics and hospitals so I could gain experience and more knowledge.

The advice to myself as a senior would be that before I graduate, I am going to to research colleges that interest me. After I narrow the list down to at least 10, I will fill out applications for the colleges. I will also look at my family since none of my family members graduated from college. By seeing what types of situations my family members are in due to lack of college education, this will motivate me to attend college and graduate. Once I graduate from college, I can then have a career so that I can be stable in my life. My college friends would only be the ones that are serious about their studies, and their goals in their lives. How satisfied I am during and after college means what types of individuals I surround myself with in my life whether it is during college or my career. I would always remember first comes a steady job, and then comes marriage and children. Graduating from college would mean that I accomplished a huge goal in my life. In the future, my children will want to follow in my steps since they would see that I am happy.

I'm here to offer you some words of advice after seeing where your future has taken you. Go to college! Don't quit! Don't let , what seems like a great job offer, change your direction for completing your four year degree. It will be so tempting. The truth is, jobs don't always last, but your education is something that no one can take away from you. It's easier to achieve your college goals right after high school when you are still mentally on the path of where you want to go, and what you want to be, and you don't have the financial responsibilities of taking care of a family. Keep the momentum of your education going right from high school into college! Even if your future goal at that moment is just finishing college, finish it! If you quit, you will find that you can't achieve much without, at least, a four year degree. It is very difficult to go back to college when you have a family to worry about. It's not impossible, but the opportunities that could have been there sooner are lost when you have to make up time.

The advice that I could give my 17 year old self would do me wonders. My 17 year old self didn’t want to go to college, didn't realize the importance of grades, and didn’t fully appreciate what a great education could do. In this scenario - present day me would inform my younger self that that even though at the moment I do not want to go to college, I would find something that I absolutely love to do. I would also enlighten myself about how self-discipline is learned behavior - the more you use it the easier it gets. I would tell myself that college was going to change my entire outlook on life. The knowledge I have gained is priceless, and that much sweeter when combined with the fact that I absolutely love the field in which I'm learning. I would tell myself the feeling of accomplishment and self-confidence that I have gained because I put in the effort, and did my best - rewarding myself with a 4.0 grade point average. Finally, I would tell myself that there was no reason to be afraid, I could do it, and I would be amazing.

Dear Nataki, as you embark upon your senior year, I share with you hindsight from 25 years post-graduation. The underlying theme of what I want to share with you is to implore you to make your goal inner happiness. From that, let me share the following 2 tips I know now, but wish I knew then: 1. Manage fun into your busy schedule. You have always been diligent in making progress, completing tasks, and checking things off the list. However, enjoy life! Allow things to happen rather than trying to plan everything, and deviate from the plan once in a while. 2. Identify and pursue your passion. Don't ignore that strong urge to serve others and make things right. It may not make a lot of money, but that - advocacy and social justice - is your calling. Regardless of what you try to do, you will find that it will be a recurring element in the things that motivate you most. You will be fine in whatever you do...you are must made that way. But take it from me - these 2 tips will increase your joy and your success!

If I could give my high school self-advice there are many things I could say. But one thing I would love to tell my high school self is to love yourself. I would have finished college the first time around. I would have realized that all the parties are the same. I could have taken classes that would have bettered my college experience rather than ones that my friends were in. But I believe that if you want to succeed in life you have to love yourself enough to constantly want improvement. So, high school Joseph, I want you to know that in order to love or care about anyone or anything else in life we must learn to love and care for ourselves, that is taking care of our bodies, being kind, smiling, getting an education, staying humble, and seeking a true purpose. High school kids don’t listen very well but if I had seen myself at 29 telling myself to love myself I think it would have had an effect. But I know that its never too late, and my mistakes have made me who I am today.

The advice I would give myself is to learn how to study the right way. Go to the library and find some books on studying because you will surely need them to prepare you for the extensive reading, quizzes, tests, and other assignments. You also need to learn how to balance your time with your studies, work, friends. Make sure that you give the most time to your studies, they should come first. Please try not to over do it by having so much going on that you don?t have the required time to study. Yes, you are away living on your own but you still need to have your own rules, like coming in at a certain time you don?t need to be out all night just because your friends are doing it or there is a party going on. You need to have a good support team friends, family, old teachers, whoever. The last piece of advice is to keep your eyes on the prize which is your future. Oh, apply for scholarships and grants to help cut the cost of school and loans if you still have to get them.

I would tell myself to take things seriously; to buckle down and get ready for a roller coaster. Ever since I was a kid I wasn't the best at school, but I had passion, so I felt like that should make up for everything. It definitely helps to be enthusiastic, but I would tell myself that I need to be careful, that I should pay attention and focus. I need to have priorities. While it's good for me to have dreams, I need to know the way to accomplish those dreams, I need to have a paved path in front of me. "No matter what happens, no matter what people say to you or how bleak things look, don't give up." That's what I would say when I sit down in front of myself, then slide myself the little booklet from the university I got in the mail. I know my high school self would be enthralled by it, because even when I was little, I had those same dreams. While I've never given up on the dream, there's been times when I thought it was impossible. Now I know that's not true.

Time goes by very fast. You will hear this all the time and maybe you won't listen, but you need to enjoy every moment you have in high school. I am in Brazil right now, doing foreign exchange, and it seems like just yesterday when I was going to my senior Prom and Homecomings. I can almost hear the screaming of the fans in the final seconds of my last soccer game. I love where I'm at right now, but I also miss all of my memories of high school. This is your last year before you have to move on to the real world and make big decisions. Enjoy every second you have and appreciate everything in your life. Being gone for over three months now has made me realize how much I miss my friends and family. Don't take anyone or anything for granted because you won't always have them right there by your side. Take advantage of the little responsibilities you have. You have the rest of your life to be independent, so don't try to so hard to grow up so fast.