Walla Walla University

« See more reviews of Walla Walla University

Not only have I grown academically while attending Walla Walla College (it is University now), but I have also grown as an individual (religiously and morally), as well. WWU has amazing staff and teachers that set great examples for the students. They are willing to help anytime, with anything, and it makes the students want to be that type of a person. The teachers clearly go above and beyond to make sure you know you are thier priority. The job opportunities on the campus are a also a great way to get work experience and financial support while being a student. I have also grown from my experience as a student missionary overseas, through the school's missions program. My year teaching in Palau was a once in a lifetime experience; the support that WWU provided while I was in Palau was wonderful. They were always encouraging and made you feel like, even though you were on the other side of the world, you were still apart of the campus. In addition to generous service, WWU also encourages academic excellence, personal expression, and faith; which in turn creates an open, supporting, and loving atmosphere I wouldn't trade for anything.

As a sophomore at this wonderful university, I would tell myself that no matter how much you tell yourself otherwise, you will indeed change more in these next four years of your life than you will ever know. Your maturity, your overall knowledge of the world, and your overall thought process will change. Instead of dreading that change, embrace it. It's a time in your life that will be a defining mark on who you will become and be known for in the next years of your life. Take advantage of that change, and don't let it scare you. Let it take you to new heights in your academic career, your social life, and your view of this wonderful diverse planet we call Earth. As a music major, I would also advise not to be impatient with myself or my professors, to listen carefully, and above all, to accept critisism willingly and readily. If you don't allow others to critique your work, you will hamper your ability to perform better academically and musically, thus stunting your overall growth. Instead of acting egotistic, stop and tell yourself that you are sitting at the feet of a master. Listen!

I was privileged to be Home Educated in England my whole school life and subsequently had established good study habits by the time I came to Walla Walla University (WWU). I am a shy person but interact well with my family and small groups of people. However, at University, I found myself wishing I had listened to my Mother?s advice on how to make and keep friends. If I could go back in time to my Senior year, I would say, ?Patrick, while scholastic achievement is important and certainly a worthwhile goal; in order to have a well rounded leaning experience you also need to include social interactions with other people. Close your books occasionally and seize opportune moments that come your way. You need to focus on learning how to balance academic accomplishments with social relationship skills which will help you all through your life.? My transition to University life would have been much easier if I had learned good social skills, listened to my Mother and not been so shy or lazy. I am now busy learning how to enjoy social situations as much as academic studies!

I was privileged to be Home Educated in England my whole school life and subsequently had established good study habits by the time I came to Walla Walla University (WWU). I am a shy person but interact well with my family and small groups of people. However, at WWU, I found myself wishing I had listened to my Mother?s advice on how to make and keep friends. If I could go back in time to my Senior year, I would say, ?Patrick, while scholastic achievement is important and certainly a worthwhile goal; in order to have a well rounded leaning experience you also need to include social interactions with other people. Close your books occasionally and seize opportune moments that come your way. You need to focus on learning how to balance academic accomplishments with social relationship skills which will help you all through your life.? My transition to University life would have been much easier if I had learned good social skills, listened to my Mother and not been so shy or lazy. I am now busy learning how to enjoy social situations as much as academic studies!

I would say, "study hard", most importantly though, "know your professors, and make the right friends." (If I could have understood how my professors worked, I would have been much more successful my freshman year.) "It's not about studying for the material. It's about studying for what the professor expects. The friends you make in the classes are equally important. If you simply get to know people who excel in the subjects of your classes, then you will be in a much better position to succeed. It's not as much about what you know, it's who you know. If you know the professors, you'll know how to study. If you know the 'smart students' you'll be surrounded with excellence." The next thing I would say is, "Don't get so focused on school, that you don't relax. It is very important to schedule relaxation time to: 1 vedge (computer/movie/TV) 2 work out/stay in shape, and 3 socialize with people. If you take time to relax and loosen up, you will be able to perform better when it really counts." I would also stress being confident in my abilities.

When selecting a college or university, it is important to keep in mind not only the cost or what education you will be paying for, but what kind of people you will be interacting with. Does the student body, in general, seem to be taking their education seriously? Do they seem to be taking their education TOO seriously? I believe the quality of education you receive has a lot less to do with the courses, or faculty, than your attitude which is affected by how you fit in with the school as a whole. Visiting the campus and observing firsthand is very important to determining if the college or university is the right one for you. See if tours or a "college days" option are offered. To make the most of your college experience, attitude is everything. Don't drown yourself in homework, but don't be afraid to get your feet wet either. Finding the perfect balance between work and friends can be difficult and is something that you will have to practice for the rest of your life. The sooner you learn how, the more fulfilling your life will be.

college life is very momerable life which is unforgatble for every students of college. so i advise to myself to study hard and get good marks in exam and get first position in order to learn something and serve for my family and serve for my poor country of afghanistan and help wiht poor of the wold and become a good manager that is all.college life is very momerable life which is unforgatble for every students of college. so i advise to myself to study hard and get good marks in exam and get first position in order to learn something and serve for my family and serve for my poor country of afghanistan and help wiht poor of the wold and become a good manager that is all.college life is very momerable life which is unforgatble for every students of college. so i advise to myself to study hard and get good marks in exam and get first position in order to learn something and serve for my family and serve for my poor country of afghanistan and help wiht poor of the wold and become a good manager that is all.college life is very momerable

I grew up in the UK with an Irish father and American mother and was Home Educated my whole school life. I chose to come to Walla Walla University (WWU) because it is a small, Christian university with a good Engineering program. I was nervous how I would find university and dorm life as I had never been to school nor lived away from my family. Attending WWU has helped me build on the foundation my parents gave me and learn more about who I am and find my own path. I have adjusted to sharing a room with a stranger who has become a good friend. I have learned to take charge of my own life and make responsible decisions. I have discovered that although I think of myself as a shy person I can stand in front of a group of people and make a good speech & presentation. I find that although I miss my family I am able to integrate myself in my new life and am enjoying learning about my American heritage I pray all these experiences will help me be a better citizen of the world and help me fulfil my potential in life.

If I was able to go back in time and give myself advice as a high school senior I wouldn't have too much to tell myself, but there are definitley a few pieces of advice that would have benefitted my early college education. One piece of advice would be to not allow myself to get too stressed out, I just need to realize that I'm only human and although humans can handle a lot of stress, we ultimately limit ourselves when put under too much stress. I would have told myself that some stress is great, that's what motivates us as humans to strive. A second piece of advice I would have given myself would be to have a more open mind about school and about which school to attend. Don't get me wrong I am so happy I attended a community college my first year, but I would have told myself to look into possibly a better community college than the one that I had attended. That first college was a big help, but the advisors lacked the knowlegde needed to get me on the fast track through my degree.

Going into my senior year was almost a new scene for me. I was homeschooled through high school until my senior year. I was unsure of how things were going to work out after finding out that many of my home schooled credits did not transfer well into my public high school credits. I was pretty much retaking classes I had already taken. Unfortunately, because of this I did not get the chance to take more challenging classes to give me more opportunities in college. By the end of my senior year, I had no desire to even go to college becauce I didn't believe I could get there. Since then, I have learned to work with what I have and that even though it may take longer to acheive whatever it is that I want to do in life, it is the effort and the patience that will get me there. I would never have imagined myself a sophmore in college, but here I am now. If there was one piece of advice I could give myself as a high school senior, it would be that no downfall is ever big enough to keep me down.