Walla Walla University Top Questions

If I could go back in time and give myself a little advice, the first thing I would say is, "Listen to your parents!" They knew what they were talking about when they said, "GPA counts, Molly" and "You need to make applying for scholarships a full-time job". School is far more expensive than I imagined, and though we were able to put together a financial package that works for us, it's been stressful. I would also tell myself to enjoy the ride. Despite the stresses of senior year- the projects, the tests, the deadlines- it's a magical time. It's easier to see that now, looking back. I would tell myself to slow down and just take it all in, treasure it. Treasure the break-ups, the winning touchdowns, the cramming, the crotchety teachers, and the camraderie of the people who are experiencing all those things with you. We'll never pass this way again. Lastly, I would tell myself that it's all going to be OK.

Going into my senior year was almost a new scene for me. I was homeschooled through high school until my senior year. I was unsure of how things were going to work out after finding out that many of my home schooled credits did not transfer well into my public high school credits. I was pretty much retaking classes I had already taken. Unfortunately, because of this I did not get the chance to take more challenging classes to give me more opportunities in college. By the end of my senior year, I had no desire to even go to college becauce I didn't believe I could get there. Since then, I have learned to work with what I have and that even though it may take longer to acheive whatever it is that I want to do in life, it is the effort and the patience that will get me there. I would never have imagined myself a sophmore in college, but here I am now. If there was one piece of advice I could give myself as a high school senior, it would be that no downfall is ever big enough to keep me down.

Alexia

The advice I would give my self is to cherish every single moment with my family and friends because I don't know when I will see my friends again since everyone is taking their own path. I would also prepare myself ahead of time for the separation from my family and friends. And I would also start prepping myself for college level reading and education.

Randolph

Pick a career goal and stick with it. Don't go for the quick money and choose something that you enjoy, because you will be doing it the rest of your life.

Patricia

Stop getting distracted by guys and focus more on preparing for universities and applying for bright futures. Enjoy the moments that are in front of you because you will never have moments like these again. be responsible for your actions and be in charge of your life. Always strive to do the best in all you do and with your school work because the expectations only get raised up a notch from here on. Love people like you never have loved before because that is how you will make a lasting difference.

Sometimes you wish you could go back in time and tell yourself that if you try this one thing it will change your entire future. If I could go back and talk to myself as a high school senior, these are some of the things that I would tell myself. First, I would tell myself that I needed to work a little harder in high school like you do in college so that you can get to your goals faster. Next, I would tell myself to literally hold your head up and have better confidence in yourself, because if you’re not confident in yourself no one else will be either. After that, I would say to please make sure that you assert yourself and ask questions when you don’t understand. Finally, I would tell myself that you may not know what you want to do right now, but one day you will make a big difference and impact in someone’s life.

If I knew what I know now about college life, then I probably wouldn't have stressed so much about going to college. The courses and people aren't so bad, and I would tell myself that things would just get easier in time. I would tell myself that going to college is the right decision, and that college comes with great experience. I would also advise myself not to go too crazy on money spending because college is very expensive, especially when you're on your own. Lastly, I'd reassure myself that God is with me, and that with Him, things are much easier.

Kodi

I would tell myself that college isn't as exciting as some people say it is, and that it's alot more work then high school was.

mohammad

college life is very momerable life which is unforgatble for every students of college. so i advise to myself to study hard and get good marks in exam and get first position in order to learn something and serve for my family and serve for my poor country of afghanistan and help wiht poor of the wold and become a good manager that is all.college life is very momerable life which is unforgatble for every students of college. so i advise to myself to study hard and get good marks in exam and get first position in order to learn something and serve for my family and serve for my poor country of afghanistan and help wiht poor of the wold and become a good manager that is all.college life is very momerable life which is unforgatble for every students of college. so i advise to myself to study hard and get good marks in exam and get first position in order to learn something and serve for my family and serve for my poor country of afghanistan and help wiht poor of the wold and become a good manager that is all.college life is very momerable

john

First of all start early! Colleges aren't like high schools who expect very little of you; while colleges demand responsiblity. Second, choose the college that you go to wisely--dont make a hasty choice, it could cost you (literally). Thirdly, don't give up, determination goes a long way when you are discouraged or depressed. Things can look bright just keep trying and I know that you can do it.

This is your life! Be true to yourself. Never let anyone tell you that you are of little or no worth. Be strong but also know when to ask for help. Remember you do not always have to be perfect. Be thankful for even the smallest things in your life such as the air in your tires or windshield wipers in the rain. Try to find beauty in everyone and everything. Always pay your bills on time and avoid credit cards. Work hard and earn your keep and accept responsibility for your own self. Don’t try and change your past-- because you can’t no matter how hard you try. Live life with transparency-- No one can live the double life for long-- but remember to guard your heart and avoid unnecessary trauma. Always put other before yourself in humbleness. Know who your true friends are and tell them you love them often. Dr. Seuss says it well. "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."

The advice that I would give myself is to go to college right out of high school. I got married and had kids right away and had to wait until I was in my 30's to go to college. Things would have been much easier had I gone straight out of high school.

LIZET

Make certain of all the possible options for success and limit by what others tell you.

Margarita

I would tell myself to read the chapter we are studying in a class. I would also tell myself the great value of a college education. I would also tell myself that living in the same town as my family for college will help me. My family suports me and i have a stable place to go after a hard day of classes. I would also tell myself that having friends that have the same goals as me are good friend to have around. I would also tell myself that going to class is important.

I grew up in the UK with an Irish father and American mother and was Home Educated my whole school life. I chose to come to Walla Walla University (WWU) because it is a small, Christian university with a good Engineering program. I was nervous how I would find university and dorm life as I had never been to school nor lived away from my family. Attending WWU has helped me build on the foundation my parents gave me and learn more about who I am and find my own path. I have adjusted to sharing a room with a stranger who has become a good friend. I have learned to take charge of my own life and make responsible decisions. I have discovered that although I think of myself as a shy person I can stand in front of a group of people and make a good speech & presentation. I find that although I miss my family I am able to integrate myself in my new life and am enjoying learning about my American heritage I pray all these experiences will help me be a better citizen of the world and help me fulfil my potential in life.

Not only have I grown academically while attending Walla Walla College (it is University now), but I have also grown as an individual (religiously and morally), as well. WWU has amazing staff and teachers that set great examples for the students. They are willing to help anytime, with anything, and it makes the students want to be that type of a person. The teachers clearly go above and beyond to make sure you know you are thier priority. The job opportunities on the campus are a also a great way to get work experience and financial support while being a student. I have also grown from my experience as a student missionary overseas, through the school's missions program. My year teaching in Palau was a once in a lifetime experience; the support that WWU provided while I was in Palau was wonderful. They were always encouraging and made you feel like, even though you were on the other side of the world, you were still apart of the campus. In addition to generous service, WWU also encourages academic excellence, personal expression, and faith; which in turn creates an open, supporting, and loving atmosphere I wouldn't trade for anything.

Becky

My college experience has taught me to become a young adult. It was important to have to set goals for myself and be responsible for myself. I learned how to do homework without anyone asking me to sit down and do it. I had to become dedicated to my work because the Professors didn't let you slide by. I have also learned that just because you have a bachelors doesn't mean you are going to get a job. It has also shown me that further education is important and to keep learning.

I grow continually in my critical thinking skills. The way I evaluate the world is changing and I see things in better light through reasoning well. My college experience is teaching me to think independantly and critique the ideas of others. However, not only am I learning to think and to critique, but also I am learning how to express my ideas so that I may share those ideas with others. Through the sharing of ideas and the banter of arguement, the world as a community will come closer to finding truth and justice. In college I am learning to find my voice so that I may become a more well informed, think more critically, and give back to my community.

Kamry

I have only been attending Walla Walla University for almost a month and already I see myself branching out. I used to be very shy and timid. Rarely would I take the initiative to get involved in projects involving the community and school. The encouragement of my teachers has really boosted my self confidence and I'm starting to be less afraid to step out of my confort zone and experience my beginning of adulthood. I have signed up for a trip overseas with the university and gotten involved in the community here through programs that the school provides for new students. I am able to be myself and not feel judge. At the same time, I am learning about who I am thanks to my teachers, who push me so I can reach my full potential. I am growing out of being the shy and timid little girl from high school and becoming an independent, confident young lady. That's why my college experience is so valuable to me, and it will continue to be in the next three years.

Macie

If I was able to go back in time and give myself advice as a high school senior I wouldn't have too much to tell myself, but there are definitley a few pieces of advice that would have benefitted my early college education. One piece of advice would be to not allow myself to get too stressed out, I just need to realize that I'm only human and although humans can handle a lot of stress, we ultimately limit ourselves when put under too much stress. I would have told myself that some stress is great, that's what motivates us as humans to strive. A second piece of advice I would have given myself would be to have a more open mind about school and about which school to attend. Don't get me wrong I am so happy I attended a community college my first year, but I would have told myself to look into possibly a better community college than the one that I had attended. That first college was a big help, but the advisors lacked the knowlegde needed to get me on the fast track through my degree.

I would say, "study hard", most importantly though, "know your professors, and make the right friends." (If I could have understood how my professors worked, I would have been much more successful my freshman year.) "It's not about studying for the material. It's about studying for what the professor expects. The friends you make in the classes are equally important. If you simply get to know people who excel in the subjects of your classes, then you will be in a much better position to succeed. It's not as much about what you know, it's who you know. If you know the professors, you'll know how to study. If you know the 'smart students' you'll be surrounded with excellence." The next thing I would say is, "Don't get so focused on school, that you don't relax. It is very important to schedule relaxation time to: 1 vedge (computer/movie/TV) 2 work out/stay in shape, and 3 socialize with people. If you take time to relax and loosen up, you will be able to perform better when it really counts." I would also stress being confident in my abilities.

I was privileged to be Home Educated in England my whole school life and subsequently had established good study habits by the time I came to Walla Walla University (WWU). I am a shy person but interact well with my family and small groups of people. However, at University, I found myself wishing I had listened to my Mother?s advice on how to make and keep friends. If I could go back in time to my Senior year, I would say, ?Patrick, while scholastic achievement is important and certainly a worthwhile goal; in order to have a well rounded leaning experience you also need to include social interactions with other people. Close your books occasionally and seize opportune moments that come your way. You need to focus on learning how to balance academic accomplishments with social relationship skills which will help you all through your life.? My transition to University life would have been much easier if I had learned good social skills, listened to my Mother and not been so shy or lazy. I am now busy learning how to enjoy social situations as much as academic studies!

Brenna

As a sophomore at this wonderful university, I would tell myself that no matter how much you tell yourself otherwise, you will indeed change more in these next four years of your life than you will ever know. Your maturity, your overall knowledge of the world, and your overall thought process will change. Instead of dreading that change, embrace it. It's a time in your life that will be a defining mark on who you will become and be known for in the next years of your life. Take advantage of that change, and don't let it scare you. Let it take you to new heights in your academic career, your social life, and your view of this wonderful diverse planet we call Earth. As a music major, I would also advise not to be impatient with myself or my professors, to listen carefully, and above all, to accept critisism willingly and readily. If you don't allow others to critique your work, you will hamper your ability to perform better academically and musically, thus stunting your overall growth. Instead of acting egotistic, stop and tell yourself that you are sitting at the feet of a master. Listen!

Brad

First of all, cut your hair. Don't be in such a rush, take the time to find out who you really are. Take a year to make a difference in the world and then come back to the books.

I was privileged to be Home Educated in England my whole school life and subsequently had established good study habits by the time I came to Walla Walla University (WWU). I am a shy person but interact well with my family and small groups of people. However, at WWU, I found myself wishing I had listened to my Mother?s advice on how to make and keep friends. If I could go back in time to my Senior year, I would say, ?Patrick, while scholastic achievement is important and certainly a worthwhile goal; in order to have a well rounded leaning experience you also need to include social interactions with other people. Close your books occasionally and seize opportune moments that come your way. You need to focus on learning how to balance academic accomplishments with social relationship skills which will help you all through your life.? My transition to University life would have been much easier if I had learned good social skills, listened to my Mother and not been so shy or lazy. I am now busy learning how to enjoy social situations as much as academic studies!

Edith

I must remember to take not in class. Focus on what the teacher is talking about. Do not bring a laptop in class and start chatting friends on facebook.

I would tell myself to take advantage of every possible moment and experience that could enrich my life for the best. Not that I have regrets now, but lifes path has many intersections and sometimes I need to get off the path that I have been so comfortable with and try a new one. It could be better or worse but I won't know until I try.

desiree

Stay motivated. Keep your grades up, and if you like sports, then join a team. The scholarships for having both a high GPA and a sports background are much much higher than those for just academically based or sports based scholarships.

Desiree

I would advise myself to let go of the meaningless crushes I had and focus on school, along with extracurricular activities. Looking back on it now, I can see that I did have time to study, socialize, and participate in sports. Also I would tell myself to stick it out through Anatomy & Physiology. The whole year of Biology I just finished was way more punishment than I needed, especially when I could have simply taken A&P in highschool and gotten at least 4-8 credits for it. Lastly, I would tell myself to not be so hard on myself.

Christa

Think carefully before choosing a school based on what others want for you. They won't be living the next four (or more) years completely enveloped in this chosen environment, and the course of their lives won't be as affected by this choice either. Take such advice to mind, not to heart. That is: think about it, but don't let the expectations of others decide for you something that you will ultimately be responsible for.

When selecting a college or university, it is important to keep in mind not only the cost or what education you will be paying for, but what kind of people you will be interacting with. Does the student body, in general, seem to be taking their education seriously? Do they seem to be taking their education TOO seriously? I believe the quality of education you receive has a lot less to do with the courses, or faculty, than your attitude which is affected by how you fit in with the school as a whole. Visiting the campus and observing firsthand is very important to determining if the college or university is the right one for you. See if tours or a "college days" option are offered. To make the most of your college experience, attitude is everything. Don't drown yourself in homework, but don't be afraid to get your feet wet either. Finding the perfect balance between work and friends can be difficult and is something that you will have to practice for the rest of your life. The sooner you learn how, the more fulfilling your life will be.

Basing your choice in college on financial circumstances should not be the first or major factor. Having a solid understanding of what the student wants for their dreams of becoming something should be the primary factor. Enabling the student is what allows for growth in the student themself, whether they learn that they don't want to do what they chose at first, or that they do end up loving it. Being an adult means being given the ability to make your own choices. Whether they end up being right or wrong is not something the chooser should be afraid of. Having the willingness to step out of your comfort zone to attempt and experience something new gives a grander perspective to everything you know. That is what makes a person an adult. This choice about going to college is fits right into that. Following what your dreams are is not wrong, nor is it impractical. People change the world, for better or for worse, based on their dreams. Dreams shape the world.

For undergrad, I would recommend attending a small school, because you have a much more personal relationship with the people that you go to school with. However, keep in mind that sometimes with smaller schools, there is also a lack of resources and funding. I think that attending a smaller school can help you have a much more positive and successful undergraduate experience. However, for graduate school it may be most valuable to attend a large university to take advantage of a large schools' resources and networking possibilites.

Take the time to visit the various colleges that you are interested in or may be interested in. A first hand expierence of the campus when they are in school is helpful in seeing what the campus is like when you would be there. Also find one the specializes in your area that you want to pursue. You will learn more and will be more likely to find people that are interested in the same things you are. Get involved when you get to school. By being involved you will be able to influence the school so that it will be closer to what you want to get out of school. Plus it will often give you a step up when you head out into the corporate world after college. Take the time to learn dont just take the classes for granted you pay for the teachers time dont waste it. Get a job working for a company that is in your field of study it will help you to see what will be required of you in the future.

Spend time visiting perspective campuses.

To begin your college search you need to start by finding a college that sparks interest and fits in your budget/can help with financial aid. Once I had done some online research i narrowed my choices to three schools. I say the best way to get to know a school is to visist the campus and/or talk to the students. You need to know what you are getting into before you decide on that school. The mistake i made involved me following the crowd. Don't do what I did. Choose a school you feel comfortable with; you feel like you'll receive the full college experience and a school that will give you countless opportunities.