Topeka, KS
Washburn University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Washburn University

Jasmin

Assuming that I have the opportunity to turn back time and give me some advice so that my life would of been successful. I'd say take advantage of the great opportunities that were presented to me, because they don't always come back again. I was very young when those opportunities arrived and I didn't fully understand how crucial was for me to go to college. Here I am, 3 years later trying to get back in track in obtain my big dream of helping children through my career. Knowing what my life could of been if I only had been smart in making my choices. I'm full of regrets but I have learned my lesson, and I'm prepared with all the right tools this time. I might not have the chance of going back in time to warn me but my future mistakes but it's never too late to fix the undone. I still have time and the enthusiasm to make a career. Only by educating myself I will achieve the job that I anxiously been waiting for.

Be prepared to study and put a lot of time into your homework. College is more challenging than high school and you will actually need to study for tests. Don't be afraid to talk to the teachers. If you don't understand something, speak up. Nobody is there to make fun of you. Chances are, if you didn't understand something, at least one other student didn't understand it either, but is too afraid to speak up. Don't allow yourself to walk away having no idea what you just learned. Find a hobby or something that you enjoy doing (and preferably does not cost a lot of money). There are going to be times when you need to take a break from your homework and do something fun and relaxing. Eat good food. The last thing you need is to get sick right before finals. Take a class just because it sounds fun, not because it's a requirement for your major. Most importantly, have fun. Enjoy this chance to make new friends and meet new people.

The smaller class sizes mean that the teachers really care about how you're doing in class as well as outside of class. The teachers are very willing to help students out.

There aren't a whole lot of activities besides the sororities/fraternities. There are a few, but not many.

Jerad

If I were to go back in time and talk to my high school self, I would begin by telling myself to follow my dreams of being a network administrator. Embrace the inner geek and let it show, for that is how you have always acted and will always act. You should really listen to Mrs. Evans and start applying to school and enrolling now, do not wait until you are two years out of highschool to finally get on the ball. There is more to life than video games and Mtn. Dew, get off your butt and study; finish this year out strong and don't let the momentum down while in college. Just be sure to visit Emporia after school is out and meet a girl named Alexandria, without her you would be lost, because she will always be there for you and start making a payment on a ring soon; they are really pricey!

The type of person who I view should attend the college would be the self driven individual. Without the drive or care to succeed/learn then the student would only be hurting themselves by attending Washburn University, or to continue schooling after high school. Those who have the desire to learn, are respectful of not only the institute but the professors and students, and who want to better themselves will feel right at home. It matters not if the studend learns at a slower pace, it will just take more dedication and the return on the investment will be sweet.

The topics that I brag about to my friends about Washburn University would have to include the curriculum, location of the university, and the professors. The curriculum has a course or class set up for everyone; from Computer Information Sciences to Modern Foreign Languages such as Spanish, German, French, and even Chinese and Japanese. The location is perfect being a short drive from almost anywhere in Topeka, making it an easy commute. I brag about my sensei in JP101 all the time to my friends about how much she loves to see the language "click" in our minds.

Harvey

Washburn is an educational institution that facilitates a quality learning environment. The classes are smaller and allow more teacher and student interaction. Teachers take advantage of innovative teaching strategies, and provide students with an optimal learning environment. Washburn students are proud to be a part of such a great organization. Even the culture promotes excellence.

Smaller classes mean that each student recieves quality one on one attention. Many sourounding schools dont provide each individual with the necessary attention needed to exel in their field of study. Teachers are able to remember the names of their students, which allows them to build a healthy learning environment. This also allows teachers to inspire their students.

In High School I had dreams of being an artist and I loved science. I wasn't a particularly good student, but I made descent grades. Nobody in my family had ever gone to college, and it wasn't something that was expected. I loved learning and going to school, but I didn't even know where to start. I had many things going wrong in my life. My father died when I was only four and my mother was very sick. I had a lot of responsibilities and school didn't seem as important. Looking back I really wish I had taken that step. I wasn't sure what I wanted to do with my life. Today I can think of a thosand things to say but the most important would be to just go for it. I eventually lost my mom in 2010 and from that moment i knew there was nothing that could hold me back. I was afraid of failure, mainly because of the feedback I had recieved from some of my high school teachers. Today I have a 3.71 GPA, it isnt perfect but I have worked so hard to get here.

Rokaia

We are all beginning freshman in college. My roommate in my dorm was someone I went to high school with. She received her GED. The other two roommates went to school together in Atchison. I feel that being in the dorms will help me to meet new and a wide range of people.

As a senior in high school I was able to take a shorten schedule my last semester. I wish now that I had taken classes that would have counted for college credit. By finishing all of my required classes at the end of the first semester, I did not have to worry about whether or not I would have all my credits finished for graduation. Take the extra time to look for scholarships to help with college expenses. This will help reduce the number of student loans that may be needed. It would also be advantageous to take classes from a community college to help reduce expenses. This could also help with the transition from high school to college. Take any opportunity your high school gives you to succeed. I did the internship at Washburn University because I knew that would be the college I would be attending.

I am not as familiar with the campus as I would like to be. I am volunteering in the international house on campus. This will provide opportunities for me to meet students from other countries. It may also lead to a job on campus.

Taquasia

If I had to give myself some advice or could go back in time to tell myself something about college it would be work alot harder. Back then I didnt take high school to the most serious note but I always did put my best effort in and also dont be afraid to ask for help because in high school and colelge help is always a positive thing it could help change a grade that might help your gpa improve. Another thing is stay focused dont let little things distract you just worry about your future and what you want to become later in life. Dont let any surrounding situations bring you down even if your parenst arent around always do wahts best for you.

cora

If i could go back to high school and talk to myself as a senior i would tell myself to look for more and apply for more scholarships. I would also tell myself to get more involved, do sports, join activities on campus and make more friends.

The nursing school is unorganized and student often have to scrabble to find information.

Classes that were supposed to tranfer often dont.

My classmates are eager to learn and full of questions

My classmates are eager to learn and full of questions

The best imaginable advice is to do exactly what you did, with a little more emphasis on studying. Freshman year of college is the most freeing and rewarding time. Make a point to attend all the campus activites and meet as many people as you can. Talk to everyone in your classes. Make connections! The most beneficial aspect to succeeding in college is a strong support system. Freshman begin alone and scared, but not when they have friends. Form study groups, as they make friends and keep people focused. Don't give up on your classes, even when a test goes bad. Make connections with the professors; they are solely there to help you succeed, so let them help! When confused, seek help. It doesn't make anyone any less intelligent, it just means they are smart enough to ask.

Currently, there are internet problems and connections on campus are not always attainable.

Craig

Studends are pretty laid back

Studends are pretty laid back

If I had an opportunity for a do-over, I would choose to have taken more advice from my family. I have always been a person to pursue my own goals in my own way and I could have avoided many hardships if I was less stubborn. However, the hardships I have endured have made me stronger and more grateful for all that I have. An example of this would be my current situation with school. If I had taken my family's advice, I would be done with school and have my degree at this point and would be further in my career. I would be much less stressed because of my financial situation and I would have more free-time to devote to the people I love. However, it is possible that I appreciate every opportunity that I have had a chance to learn from because of the obstacles I have overcome.

I wish i had known the value of pursuing scholarships.

LeeAnna

I would tell myself that i would need to make better study habits, because studying in high school does not prepare you for the studying that you will need to do in college. And that you have to stay on top of your hw or else you will get behind and oyou will get overwhelmed and not do very well. Another thing that i would tell myself is to get more involved. This is very important your freshman year so you can meet new people and branch out because some of the people you meet could end up being your best friend. The last thing that i would tell myself is to form a relationship with your teachers and make sure they know who you are. This is important because they can write letters of recommendation for you, and they will be more willing to help you if you speak in class and introduce yourself and make sure that you are not just sitting in the back quiet or sleeping the whole time your in class. Get involved in the lectures and ask manyquestions. Teachers also nominate you for scholorships and groups so they need to know who you are.

The worst thing about the school is that there is a parking issue. When you get to class you have to drive around for at least a few minutes to get a parking spot. Many people park on the street across from the school and walk to class so they dont have to drive around for up to 15 or so minutes to find a spot.

You have to be motivated. You are your boss, so if you dont want to go to class no one is making you, but you will not succeed if you dont go to class. It is very important to understand that you need to attend class to do well. It is a very fun school when you get involved and meet people because there is always something to do.

Washburn University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.