Topeka, KS
Washburn University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Washburn University

Washburn University has always fought for the dreams and successes of its students past, present, and future, in every imaginable way. Their proactive approach to supporting its students begins with the FYE (First Year Experience) Program which has been implemented at Washburn for about five years. The FYE Program is in charge of the university required WU101 class that helps all incoming students transition from high school to college, whether it is "needed" or not. This allows for educational gaps to be filled in for those who were not able to receive this information from high school, as well as teach important information regarding our rights as students and the boundless resources that are provided to us on an every day basis. Even with being a pre-medical biology major, I am ecstatic to continue exploring the variety of courses that Washburn has to offer in the humanities and social sciences, and I will continue to take every opportunity I am able to expand my growing knowledge, but also to grow as an individual. However, with that said, Washburn would not be Washburn without its truly dedicated faculty and staff. With the small class sizes and, thus, student to teacher ratio, it enables the students to have more in depth and profound conversations with the professors and their peers. I am not simply a number that passes from building to building, invisible both to my fellow students and professors, but I am a growing human being who is recognized for my curiosity and desire to learn. I believe that my undergraduate degree and the faculty at Washburn will undoubtedly prepare me and help me achieve my dream of attending medical school to become a licensed medical professional.

Aaron

I think one's opinion of Washburn would depend on your major. I started out as a Bio major and am currently in a different major. When I was in the Bio program, I would often associate Washburn with the professors and how much I learned from them. For example, my chemistry professor was a great guy and all but he didn't really know how to teach students. He'd lecture and lecture and maybe three kids would understand the material by the time class ended. Now by going off of just that experience, I would say that Washburn was an okay school. Once I switched majors, my outlook at Washburn changed. However, one cannot just base their opinions solely on the experience with a professor. There is always that one professor, no matter the school, that everyone dislikes therefore people have to take into account other factors and experiences on and off campus. By doing so, only then can we really weigh our opinion of a school. Overall, I think Washburn is the ideal school. It has small class sizes which allow for more professor to student interaction, no student teachers, great food at the cafeteria, and most of all, Washburn has a great student body. Go Bods!!

Allyson

I love Washburn. I feel like so many people on campus are truly excited to help students and see students succeed. The campus is beautiful and the professors are very engaged and interactive with students. There are plenty of organizations to be a part of, and as a member of a sorority on campus, I love the opportunities that Greek life gives me to get involved and be an active member of the Washburn and Topeka community.

Washburn : The Real Deal

It's really a pretty good place. However, for as expensive it is, it doesn't have as much as bigger schools like K-state and ...

Washburn : The Real Deal

It's really a pretty good place. However, for as expensive it is, it doesn't have as much as bigger schools like K-state and KU.

madison

The best thing about Washburn University are the people working there. They are extremely helpful always willing to help you out, they are there whenever you need them. Washburn's size is just right not to big not to small. The campus is not big at all you can get to all your classes in the matter of two minutes/ When I first told everyone that I got accepted into Washburn they were thrilled. They told me that it was an excellent school.

The most popular groups would have to be cheer, basketball, and baseball. They are always having everyone active when they do something. I am involved in cheer, we do a lot for Washburn we try and get everyone to participate in any school activity we have. The dating scene im not to sure about because this is my first year so I have not really been around much. I don't have close friends yet but im sure I will get there. Some people I have met are on my cheer team. I heard Washburn is not known for their parties, at least that's what I have been told. What I would normally do on a Saturday night would probably go to the movies or out to eat. I don't go out much I have to much to lose. What I normally do off campus is practice cheering or study.

Coral

My classmates are easy to get along with, fun, energetic, willing to help you, and make great friends when you're homesick.

Dear high school senior Coral, When you get to college, notecards will be your best friends! You might take them as a joke in high school, but when you're trying to memorize hundreds of medical vocabulary, notecards are great! Going along with the studying habits, take full advantage of the library being open 24 hours, for five days a week. It'll be your second home on campus, and you'll always have someone you know there to study with. Socially, make friends early, and step out of your shy shell. People are going to realize how cool and awesome you are, regardless of how weird you really are. You might doubt going Greek now, but it's actually enjoyable, and your sisters are always pushing you to be your best, and wanting you to focus on your grades, since you're here for an education not a social life. Overall, your first semester of college is always the worst, but you'll get through it and realize that it's all worth it in the end! Keep your head up, and you'll be fine! Sincerely, College Coral

The thing I brag about the most when I tell my friends about Washburn, is the small campus and class sizes. WIth the small class sizes, I'm able to have a personal relationship with my professors, and they are willing to help you with your grades if you go and talk to them.

Jasmin

Assuming that I have the opportunity to turn back time and give me some advice so that my life would of been successful. I'd say take advantage of the great opportunities that were presented to me, because they don't always come back again. I was very young when those opportunities arrived and I didn't fully understand how crucial was for me to go to college. Here I am, 3 years later trying to get back in track in obtain my big dream of helping children through my career. Knowing what my life could of been if I only had been smart in making my choices. I'm full of regrets but I have learned my lesson, and I'm prepared with all the right tools this time. I might not have the chance of going back in time to warn me but my future mistakes but it's never too late to fix the undone. I still have time and the enthusiasm to make a career. Only by educating myself I will achieve the job that I anxiously been waiting for.

Be prepared to study and put a lot of time into your homework. College is more challenging than high school and you will actually need to study for tests. Don't be afraid to talk to the teachers. If you don't understand something, speak up. Nobody is there to make fun of you. Chances are, if you didn't understand something, at least one other student didn't understand it either, but is too afraid to speak up. Don't allow yourself to walk away having no idea what you just learned. Find a hobby or something that you enjoy doing (and preferably does not cost a lot of money). There are going to be times when you need to take a break from your homework and do something fun and relaxing. Eat good food. The last thing you need is to get sick right before finals. Take a class just because it sounds fun, not because it's a requirement for your major. Most importantly, have fun. Enjoy this chance to make new friends and meet new people.

The smaller class sizes mean that the teachers really care about how you're doing in class as well as outside of class. The teachers are very willing to help students out.

There aren't a whole lot of activities besides the sororities/fraternities. There are a few, but not many.

Jerad

If I were to go back in time and talk to my high school self, I would begin by telling myself to follow my dreams of being a network administrator. Embrace the inner geek and let it show, for that is how you have always acted and will always act. You should really listen to Mrs. Evans and start applying to school and enrolling now, do not wait until you are two years out of highschool to finally get on the ball. There is more to life than video games and Mtn. Dew, get off your butt and study; finish this year out strong and don't let the momentum down while in college. Just be sure to visit Emporia after school is out and meet a girl named Alexandria, without her you would be lost, because she will always be there for you and start making a payment on a ring soon; they are really pricey!

The type of person who I view should attend the college would be the self driven individual. Without the drive or care to succeed/learn then the student would only be hurting themselves by attending Washburn University, or to continue schooling after high school. Those who have the desire to learn, are respectful of not only the institute but the professors and students, and who want to better themselves will feel right at home. It matters not if the studend learns at a slower pace, it will just take more dedication and the return on the investment will be sweet.

The topics that I brag about to my friends about Washburn University would have to include the curriculum, location of the university, and the professors. The curriculum has a course or class set up for everyone; from Computer Information Sciences to Modern Foreign Languages such as Spanish, German, French, and even Chinese and Japanese. The location is perfect being a short drive from almost anywhere in Topeka, making it an easy commute. I brag about my sensei in JP101 all the time to my friends about how much she loves to see the language "click" in our minds.

Harvey

Washburn is an educational institution that facilitates a quality learning environment. The classes are smaller and allow more teacher and student interaction. Teachers take advantage of innovative teaching strategies, and provide students with an optimal learning environment. Washburn students are proud to be a part of such a great organization. Even the culture promotes excellence.

Smaller classes mean that each student recieves quality one on one attention. Many sourounding schools dont provide each individual with the necessary attention needed to exel in their field of study. Teachers are able to remember the names of their students, which allows them to build a healthy learning environment. This also allows teachers to inspire their students.

In High School I had dreams of being an artist and I loved science. I wasn't a particularly good student, but I made descent grades. Nobody in my family had ever gone to college, and it wasn't something that was expected. I loved learning and going to school, but I didn't even know where to start. I had many things going wrong in my life. My father died when I was only four and my mother was very sick. I had a lot of responsibilities and school didn't seem as important. Looking back I really wish I had taken that step. I wasn't sure what I wanted to do with my life. Today I can think of a thosand things to say but the most important would be to just go for it. I eventually lost my mom in 2010 and from that moment i knew there was nothing that could hold me back. I was afraid of failure, mainly because of the feedback I had recieved from some of my high school teachers. Today I have a 3.71 GPA, it isnt perfect but I have worked so hard to get here.

Washburn University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.