Topeka, KS
Washburn University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Washburn University

Rokaia

We are all beginning freshman in college. My roommate in my dorm was someone I went to high school with. She received her GED. The other two roommates went to school together in Atchison. I feel that being in the dorms will help me to meet new and a wide range of people.

As a senior in high school I was able to take a shorten schedule my last semester. I wish now that I had taken classes that would have counted for college credit. By finishing all of my required classes at the end of the first semester, I did not have to worry about whether or not I would have all my credits finished for graduation. Take the extra time to look for scholarships to help with college expenses. This will help reduce the number of student loans that may be needed. It would also be advantageous to take classes from a community college to help reduce expenses. This could also help with the transition from high school to college. Take any opportunity your high school gives you to succeed. I did the internship at Washburn University because I knew that would be the college I would be attending.

I am not as familiar with the campus as I would like to be. I am volunteering in the international house on campus. This will provide opportunities for me to meet students from other countries. It may also lead to a job on campus.

Taquasia

If I had to give myself some advice or could go back in time to tell myself something about college it would be work alot harder. Back then I didnt take high school to the most serious note but I always did put my best effort in and also dont be afraid to ask for help because in high school and colelge help is always a positive thing it could help change a grade that might help your gpa improve. Another thing is stay focused dont let little things distract you just worry about your future and what you want to become later in life. Dont let any surrounding situations bring you down even if your parenst arent around always do wahts best for you.

cora

If i could go back to high school and talk to myself as a senior i would tell myself to look for more and apply for more scholarships. I would also tell myself to get more involved, do sports, join activities on campus and make more friends.

The nursing school is unorganized and student often have to scrabble to find information.

Classes that were supposed to tranfer often dont.

My classmates are eager to learn and full of questions

My classmates are eager to learn and full of questions

The best imaginable advice is to do exactly what you did, with a little more emphasis on studying. Freshman year of college is the most freeing and rewarding time. Make a point to attend all the campus activites and meet as many people as you can. Talk to everyone in your classes. Make connections! The most beneficial aspect to succeeding in college is a strong support system. Freshman begin alone and scared, but not when they have friends. Form study groups, as they make friends and keep people focused. Don't give up on your classes, even when a test goes bad. Make connections with the professors; they are solely there to help you succeed, so let them help! When confused, seek help. It doesn't make anyone any less intelligent, it just means they are smart enough to ask.

Currently, there are internet problems and connections on campus are not always attainable.

Craig

Studends are pretty laid back

Studends are pretty laid back

If I had an opportunity for a do-over, I would choose to have taken more advice from my family. I have always been a person to pursue my own goals in my own way and I could have avoided many hardships if I was less stubborn. However, the hardships I have endured have made me stronger and more grateful for all that I have. An example of this would be my current situation with school. If I had taken my family's advice, I would be done with school and have my degree at this point and would be further in my career. I would be much less stressed because of my financial situation and I would have more free-time to devote to the people I love. However, it is possible that I appreciate every opportunity that I have had a chance to learn from because of the obstacles I have overcome.

I wish i had known the value of pursuing scholarships.

LeeAnna

I would tell myself that i would need to make better study habits, because studying in high school does not prepare you for the studying that you will need to do in college. And that you have to stay on top of your hw or else you will get behind and oyou will get overwhelmed and not do very well. Another thing that i would tell myself is to get more involved. This is very important your freshman year so you can meet new people and branch out because some of the people you meet could end up being your best friend. The last thing that i would tell myself is to form a relationship with your teachers and make sure they know who you are. This is important because they can write letters of recommendation for you, and they will be more willing to help you if you speak in class and introduce yourself and make sure that you are not just sitting in the back quiet or sleeping the whole time your in class. Get involved in the lectures and ask manyquestions. Teachers also nominate you for scholorships and groups so they need to know who you are.

The worst thing about the school is that there is a parking issue. When you get to class you have to drive around for at least a few minutes to get a parking spot. Many people park on the street across from the school and walk to class so they dont have to drive around for up to 15 or so minutes to find a spot.

You have to be motivated. You are your boss, so if you dont want to go to class no one is making you, but you will not succeed if you dont go to class. It is very important to understand that you need to attend class to do well. It is a very fun school when you get involved and meet people because there is always something to do.

Danielle

What's unique is that it's in my hometown that I grew up in. I wanted to stay close to my family so I attended this college because my parents house is just a twenty minute drive away. I love being able to be independed on campus and still being able to see my family whenever I want.

I would say that I need to take more pre-college classes as a senior in high school so that I can get ahead on my credit hours. I would also tell myself to take a harder course load in high school and not to slack so that college won't be as big of a shock, course work wise. I'd also tell myself to become more interacted with my fellow alumni because they can become great connections for me later in life and business. Finally, I'd tell myself to relax because I'll finally figure out what exactally I want to do with my life.

I love the size of the university. Everything is fairly new and updated. The professors are very helpful to students and are easily reachable if we need extra help. I really enjoy attending this school because of the school spirit. Many people attending athletic and school sponsored events.

steven

I would tell myself to have realistic dreams and going out of state isn’t going to work out so you will end up in a community college do to financial issues. That you should have realized that things never work out the way you what them to and you should have just tried for the cheapest way that you can get an education, because now you are attending an absolutely dreadful community college that you can barely afford, your stuck at home with your highly dysfunctional family and you are living a life that if someone told you would be living after college you would laugh at them and say it’s a lie. That if you could live on campus just ten minutes away you would be the happiest man on earth and with just a good scholarship you can stop questioning life and if you will ever get an education and finally have something to live for.

Alexis

I wanted to attend a college that was a reasonable size, but not overwhelming. I considered Kansas State University and the University of Kansas. The campus size and population of both universities were too large for my preference. The student to faculty ratio at Washburn is 15:1. I was impressed with the individual attention that I received from my professors and other faculty members. Students are well involved with the extracurricular activities and clubs provided. It is evident the students and faculty are proud of their university, which makes it welcoming to the new coming students and their families.

The most important thing that I would have liked to been aware of is the individual responsibility as a student. In high school I was told and knew that I would have to be more responsible when being a college student, but it was more than I expected. Unlike the small school I came from where my teachers told us and constantly reminded us of our assignments and deadlines, professors do not do this. Most college professors expect the students to follow the class syllabus and be prepared with no exceptions. I had be well organized and aware in detail of what was going on in each one of my classes. The class syllabus was often online. I wish I would have known how important technology and e-mail would be when becoming a college student. I missed a couple assignments at the beginning of the semester because I did not know to look online at the syllabus to check for upcoming assignments.

My classmates are good people who are welcoming and helpful.

My classmates are good people who are welcoming and helpful.

Attending college has been the ultimate experience. It has taught me how dependant I truly am, and how much I can handle. It has tested me in many ways, from schoolwork to friends. I have grown into a person I believe is good, and honest, and a valuble assest to whichever path I choose. From the classes I have taken, and the on and off campus jobs I have held, I feels as if I have gained experience that will only help me. Many of the essential characteristics that I have gained, including self-reliance, time management, fiscal responsibilty, and work ethic, I don't believe I would have gotten otherwise. Although it may not be the same for everyone, attending college was definitely the right choice for me, and I don't regret any minute of it.

I consider the worst thing at my school to be the lack of entertainment through the city. Although it is improving with more campus events, as well as more events through the city being planned.

Washburn University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.