Topeka, KS
Washburn University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Washburn University

Craig

Studends are pretty laid back

Studends are pretty laid back

If I had an opportunity for a do-over, I would choose to have taken more advice from my family. I have always been a person to pursue my own goals in my own way and I could have avoided many hardships if I was less stubborn. However, the hardships I have endured have made me stronger and more grateful for all that I have. An example of this would be my current situation with school. If I had taken my family's advice, I would be done with school and have my degree at this point and would be further in my career. I would be much less stressed because of my financial situation and I would have more free-time to devote to the people I love. However, it is possible that I appreciate every opportunity that I have had a chance to learn from because of the obstacles I have overcome.

I wish i had known the value of pursuing scholarships.

LeeAnna

I would tell myself that i would need to make better study habits, because studying in high school does not prepare you for the studying that you will need to do in college. And that you have to stay on top of your hw or else you will get behind and oyou will get overwhelmed and not do very well. Another thing that i would tell myself is to get more involved. This is very important your freshman year so you can meet new people and branch out because some of the people you meet could end up being your best friend. The last thing that i would tell myself is to form a relationship with your teachers and make sure they know who you are. This is important because they can write letters of recommendation for you, and they will be more willing to help you if you speak in class and introduce yourself and make sure that you are not just sitting in the back quiet or sleeping the whole time your in class. Get involved in the lectures and ask manyquestions. Teachers also nominate you for scholorships and groups so they need to know who you are.

The worst thing about the school is that there is a parking issue. When you get to class you have to drive around for at least a few minutes to get a parking spot. Many people park on the street across from the school and walk to class so they dont have to drive around for up to 15 or so minutes to find a spot.

You have to be motivated. You are your boss, so if you dont want to go to class no one is making you, but you will not succeed if you dont go to class. It is very important to understand that you need to attend class to do well. It is a very fun school when you get involved and meet people because there is always something to do.

Danielle

What's unique is that it's in my hometown that I grew up in. I wanted to stay close to my family so I attended this college because my parents house is just a twenty minute drive away. I love being able to be independed on campus and still being able to see my family whenever I want.

I would say that I need to take more pre-college classes as a senior in high school so that I can get ahead on my credit hours. I would also tell myself to take a harder course load in high school and not to slack so that college won't be as big of a shock, course work wise. I'd also tell myself to become more interacted with my fellow alumni because they can become great connections for me later in life and business. Finally, I'd tell myself to relax because I'll finally figure out what exactally I want to do with my life.

I love the size of the university. Everything is fairly new and updated. The professors are very helpful to students and are easily reachable if we need extra help. I really enjoy attending this school because of the school spirit. Many people attending athletic and school sponsored events.

steven

I would tell myself to have realistic dreams and going out of state isn’t going to work out so you will end up in a community college do to financial issues. That you should have realized that things never work out the way you what them to and you should have just tried for the cheapest way that you can get an education, because now you are attending an absolutely dreadful community college that you can barely afford, your stuck at home with your highly dysfunctional family and you are living a life that if someone told you would be living after college you would laugh at them and say it’s a lie. That if you could live on campus just ten minutes away you would be the happiest man on earth and with just a good scholarship you can stop questioning life and if you will ever get an education and finally have something to live for.

Alexis

I wanted to attend a college that was a reasonable size, but not overwhelming. I considered Kansas State University and the University of Kansas. The campus size and population of both universities were too large for my preference. The student to faculty ratio at Washburn is 15:1. I was impressed with the individual attention that I received from my professors and other faculty members. Students are well involved with the extracurricular activities and clubs provided. It is evident the students and faculty are proud of their university, which makes it welcoming to the new coming students and their families.

The most important thing that I would have liked to been aware of is the individual responsibility as a student. In high school I was told and knew that I would have to be more responsible when being a college student, but it was more than I expected. Unlike the small school I came from where my teachers told us and constantly reminded us of our assignments and deadlines, professors do not do this. Most college professors expect the students to follow the class syllabus and be prepared with no exceptions. I had be well organized and aware in detail of what was going on in each one of my classes. The class syllabus was often online. I wish I would have known how important technology and e-mail would be when becoming a college student. I missed a couple assignments at the beginning of the semester because I did not know to look online at the syllabus to check for upcoming assignments.

My classmates are good people who are welcoming and helpful.

My classmates are good people who are welcoming and helpful.

Attending college has been the ultimate experience. It has taught me how dependant I truly am, and how much I can handle. It has tested me in many ways, from schoolwork to friends. I have grown into a person I believe is good, and honest, and a valuble assest to whichever path I choose. From the classes I have taken, and the on and off campus jobs I have held, I feels as if I have gained experience that will only help me. Many of the essential characteristics that I have gained, including self-reliance, time management, fiscal responsibilty, and work ethic, I don't believe I would have gotten otherwise. Although it may not be the same for everyone, attending college was definitely the right choice for me, and I don't regret any minute of it.

I consider the worst thing at my school to be the lack of entertainment through the city. Although it is improving with more campus events, as well as more events through the city being planned.

Lacey

The class sizes are fairly managable. They're not too big and not too small. It's a good transition for anyone coming from a small school to a larger one, like myself. Plus, all of the professors are very nice and very helpful. They take the time to learn your name and actually call you by it, and always offer you extra help when you need it.

I've learned that I can be my own person and rule my own schedule. I've become more responsible and independent while living on my own going to college. It's hard work, but it's completely worth it. Getting this education is very important for any future jobs I may want and knowing I'm able to take care of myself because college helped me transition to the real world is very reassuring. This is something your parent's can't teach you and it's a very valuable lesson, one that I've greatly appreciated and hope to continue.

How pretty the campus is; it's so gorgeous I wish I had had a camera when fall first started. The trees and flowers were just so beautiful, it was truely breathe-taking.

Caitlin

I haven't been in college very long so far, but I have valued my short experiences. College is so different than high school in many ways. I have appreciated the level of respect my professors and peers give me and the conduct of the students (no horseplay!) College is much more challenging academically, but I feel like I can actually learn things to further my life and career. We aren't learning the basics anymore, college matters because it impacts where you will be in life.

Allison

When I began college at 16, I was an scared high-school student, naive and unprepared to succeed in this world. As I started attending classes and became integrated into my college, I began to learn the true value of education. I had good professors who invested both time and energy into my life. Their dedication to caring for me as a person, not just a number, opened my eyes and mind to the wonder of the world around me. I learned to be curious and ask questions about everything. I have learned to strive hard after the things that interest me and to take the time to invest in other's lives, so that they too can learn the value of education and knowledge. Because I have come away with such a passion for learning and a greater awareness of what my strengths and weaknesses are as a person, I feel better equipped to start finding my place in this world. My college experience has both opened my mind and given me the basic tools and skills I need to start stepping out of my comfort zone and start pursuing my dreams.

Ariel

I have learned that it is important to reach out to people and to get out of my comfort zone! Growing up in a very small town, I never had to really extend myself to make friends. Being in college, hundreds of miles from my home, family and friends has really made me come out of my shell. So many people and clubs have reached out to me and it's such a relief to know that I can be part of a group and really feel like I belong somewhere! I realize that the friendships I make now are an introduction to the networking that is done in the business world I plan to enter after my college education. Even though I have only been in college for several months, I feel I have learned alot about myself and have improved my social skills.

I wish I had realized much I needed to get involved in local activities from the very beginning. I am quite quiet and shy and it has taken me longer than I thought it would to make friends, in part because I am from out of state. As I said, the people are all very nice, but it just takes me awhile to open up like that. If I had joined clubs, etc from the beginning, I feel I would know more people.

I believe that any person whatsoever could and should attend this college. There are students of all races, ages, beliefs and economic status that attend this college. That is the great thing about this college. Because it is located in the Midwest, the people here are all very welcoming, kind and open hearted.

Washburn University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.