Topeka, KS
Washburn University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Washburn University

Kara

I have learned how to grow up and do things I generally wouldn't, or want, to do. For a little over a year I was not doing any schooling at all, just working at a minimum wage, part time job. I was happy to have a break from school, but I was not happy with my job or with my income. I tried finding other jobs, but basically the only things out there were minimum wage, part time jobs. I finally came to realize that if I want to ever make something of my life, and be able to support my family in the future, I was going to need to return to college and get my degree. I've only just started school again, but I already feel better about myself for finally starting on the path that will lead me to supporting myself and my family. I already have a job lined up in the career I have chosen, once I've started learning what I need to learn, and as I move forward with my life, I am truely happy, unlike the happiness I thought I had when I wasn't in school.

Lily

College, thus far, has been a growth process. Unfortunately, I didn't do as well as I had hoped I would when starting out due to my lack of motivation/ unfortunate circumstances. After feeling sorry for myself for months, I realized that I was desperate for a change and it needed to be a change that would better me as a person. I concluded that my priorities needed to be adjusted which couldn't change until I gained some self-admiration, so I decided to alter my attitude in a positive way. I started to have faith in myself again and once I began to have faith in myself, my priorities worked themselves out and I became ther person I am today - a student who is dedicated to school more than working. See, my entire life has consisted of me trying to prove myself to my parents and help them any way possible (especially since my mom was laid-off in February of this year), but I'm finally beginning to grasp the fact that in order to help others, I really do have to help myself first and college will undoubtedly help me do just that.

Donald

Currently, I’ve obtained a solid 4.0 GPA while participating in the biology club, American Medical Student Association(AMSA), jujitsu club, and undertaking 10+hours of undergraduate research per week studying behavioral neuroscience with my biology professor. While being an active member and treasurer of biology club, I have dedicated approximately 40 hours first semester tutoring biology students in biology-based courses. I also participated in events held by the biology club such as blood drives, a faculty-student picnic, and Earthfest. I’ve partaken in blood drives help by AMSA and was elected treasurer. I began my undergraduate research my first semester of college, undertaking two research topic under the supervision of Dr Paul Nealen. We are currently studying behavioral neural responses of Zebra Finches to different song stimuli. I’m also studying the anticipatory changes of the cardiovascular system in humans prior to moderate exercise. With this topic, I was qualified as a recipient of the Sushak undergraduate research grant. In addition, I spend many hours tutoring students in both biology and chemistry courses. These experiences have made me grow as a person connecting with other students at our college.

There's many majors, activities and research project at IUP. The atmosphere is very nice and the housing is very modern and updated these days.

I adjusted fine at this college and have no wishes except learned to cook alittle better maybe.

Shantae

The campus is not very big so you dont have to walk very far to get to your classes. The gym is very nice and has a great laid back atmosphere. You have the gym,weight room, rock climbing and work out classes all in one building. You won't get lost.

My college experience has been very hard. I learned that in order to get where you want to go, you have to keep pushing. I only attended this school for one year because I decided to venture off and try something new. I wanted a better college experience with staff that actually took time to know the students. It is hard to find out things on your own if you have never been taught or told where to look. Part of the staff responsibilities is to make sure you walk out with a great college experience and that you walk out with a better understanding. Not to read a book, take a test then pass. I value a school that engages the students and take time to make sure the students are comprehending what is being taught.

A person who likes to get involved in school activities but lives off campus. It is hard to make friends at this school if you are not living on campus or personally engaging with the staff on a daily. The staff do not go out of their way to get to know you.

Heather

Washburn has a very friendly environment, and it was rated as a top 10 school, which makes it even better. The school has a variety of majors and I could go straight to medical school or law school through washburn. The school offers many activities and it has a large amount of groups and clubs which is nice if you are looking to meet new people. The curriculums offered at washburn seem much greater than anywhere else. The school also offers on campus housing, jobs, tuitoring, and many more helpful things. Its perfect.

I have gained knowledge that will help me in the future. The school has helped me expand me knowledge and my view on life. I can now feel comfortable on my own and I feel I am ready to start pursuing my career in child psychology. This school has helped open my eyes to what life truely offers and I will use this to make myself go further in life. I have had the best time of my life in college and I plan on finishing it with a full bachelors, maybe even masters degree in child psychology. Because of this school I am more sociable and I'm not afraid to go acheive greatness.

So far I don't wish for anything, the school has shown me all I need to know and provided me with everything I need. I am completely comfortable with this school and am glad of my choice.

Jocelyn

Washburn University is a great place to go if you like the one on one with the professors, because there are not as many people in the class and so the professors have more time to help you if you need it.

The class size is pretty small, and so there is more communication with the classmates than if you went to a bigger university.

I have learned to grow up and not the the little things get to me. I dont let the drama come in the way of my schooling. I have learned that you have to pretty much have a degree to get by in this world now a days. I have only gone to college one semester and so I really havent gotten the whole college experience. I think it will take a couple more semesters and then ill realze what college is all about.

The whole college experience (even though it has only been at a community college so far) has done a lot for me. I have had to work a full time job to be able to pay my way through college which has made me value school that much more. With each semester, I have been able to do so much better and I will continue to do better with each semester. My writing skills have improved so much just in this past semester in which I got all As on my english papers. School isn't for everyone, but it definitely is for me. School has been of great value to me in increasing my social skills as well as my academic intelligence. I feel that life is too short to just work at a dead end job for the rest of my life. I want to acheve the highest level of education that I possibly can so I can have a career that I love. I'm not exactly sure what I want to do career wise, but I have a little bit of time to figure it out.

Melanie

College for me has been a challenge; moving to a different location, coming out of my shell to meet new people, learning things I never thought I could learn, and ultimately excelling in general. I have learned that no matter what, I can do what I set my mind to. My first year in college has not been an easy one. I am a very shy person, so to make friends I had to step outside my comfort zone and talk to people that I did not know. I was shaking my first day because I was scared of what was to come. Washburn was a welcoming place and I have made tons of friends. I have also learned a lot in my first year and I remember all that I have learned. College has been a great experience so far because it has helped me to grow up in a way that nothing else could have. It has been valuable to me because I believe that without it, I would be a different person and I like who I am at this point in my life.

Someone who is willing to learn should attend Washburn University. The professors are very good about keeping attendance, so everyone has to show up almost everyday unless they provide the professor with an excuse as to why they missed class. Also the professors tend to give a lot of pop quizzes so that way even if they didn't keep attendance they would be able to see who was in class and who was not. The professors definitely challenge you in a way that you have never been challenged before.

The students in each class come from anywhere and everywhere.

The students in each class come from anywhere and everywhere.

I have learned that not making a choice is still making a choice. It is important to do all of your homework, even if it seems silly or worthless at the time. It can be very difficult at times to balance your social and your study time, but you should strive to do so. It is worth the effort in the end. I have found "education" to be multi-faceted term that covers so much more than reading, writing, and arithmetic. College has been a safe-zone miniature version of the real adult world we seem so anxious to reach. We are given more responsibilities, but not all of them. We have to learn to budget our time, our energy, and our money. We develop discipline. And, by the time we graduate, we have been presented with the keys to unlock a successful future for ourselves.

It is so easy to get isolated from the students who are working on other degrees. This can make the student body feel a lot less cohesive.

katelyn

My university is just the right size for the students. They provide many opportunities and flexible hours for the student body to get studying done. The library is open five days a week until eleven pm, which is nice because it can be challenging when you can not study as well at your home environment. I take advantage of this opportunity because I can learn better in quiet areas, and where i do not have any distractions. This school provides a gym membership, which is a great way to relieve stress and stay toned. I love my school .

If i could go back and give myself advice i would tell my self a few things. First i would tell my self that i better prepare for these next several years because they will be getting harder and harder. I would tell myself that the challenges i was going to be faced with would not only change my outlook on life, but my confidence. I would assure myself more often that i can do anything i put my mind to, and not let myself down like i used to. I need to keep encouraging myself and pushing myself to do better, because i know i can. It seems so long ago that i was a senior in high school. I would tell myself to start getting my perspectives and outlooks on life prioritized because the next few years, time management is critical in my studies.

I do not think it is fair to say what person should and should not attend this school. That just seems wrong to me. I also got my associate of science from a community college and it was a huge change from a small school to a university. I though high school and community college was tough at the time, but it was pieces of cake compared to a big university, especially nursing school. It is a whole new grading scale requirement and much tougher than i ever imagined. The only people that shouldnt attend would be non studyers.

Washburn University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.