Washburn University Top Questions

Coral

Dear high school senior Coral, When you get to college, notecards will be your best friends! You might take them as a joke in high school, but when you're trying to memorize hundreds of medical vocabulary, notecards are great! Going along with the studying habits, take full advantage of the library being open 24 hours, for five days a week. It'll be your second home on campus, and you'll always have someone you know there to study with. Socially, make friends early, and step out of your shy shell. People are going to realize how cool and awesome you are, regardless of how weird you really are. You might doubt going Greek now, but it's actually enjoyable, and your sisters are always pushing you to be your best, and wanting you to focus on your grades, since you're here for an education not a social life. Overall, your first semester of college is always the worst, but you'll get through it and realize that it's all worth it in the end! Keep your head up, and you'll be fine! Sincerely, College Coral

Jasmin

Assuming that I have the opportunity to turn back time and give me some advice so that my life would of been successful. I'd say take advantage of the great opportunities that were presented to me, because they don't always come back again. I was very young when those opportunities arrived and I didn't fully understand how crucial was for me to go to college. Here I am, 3 years later trying to get back in track in obtain my big dream of helping children through my career. Knowing what my life could of been if I only had been smart in making my choices. I'm full of regrets but I have learned my lesson, and I'm prepared with all the right tools this time. I might not have the chance of going back in time to warn me but my future mistakes but it's never too late to fix the undone. I still have time and the enthusiasm to make a career. Only by educating myself I will achieve the job that I anxiously been waiting for.

Be prepared to study and put a lot of time into your homework. College is more challenging than high school and you will actually need to study for tests. Don't be afraid to talk to the teachers. If you don't understand something, speak up. Nobody is there to make fun of you. Chances are, if you didn't understand something, at least one other student didn't understand it either, but is too afraid to speak up. Don't allow yourself to walk away having no idea what you just learned. Find a hobby or something that you enjoy doing (and preferably does not cost a lot of money). There are going to be times when you need to take a break from your homework and do something fun and relaxing. Eat good food. The last thing you need is to get sick right before finals. Take a class just because it sounds fun, not because it's a requirement for your major. Most importantly, have fun. Enjoy this chance to make new friends and meet new people.

Jerad

If I were to go back in time and talk to my high school self, I would begin by telling myself to follow my dreams of being a network administrator. Embrace the inner geek and let it show, for that is how you have always acted and will always act. You should really listen to Mrs. Evans and start applying to school and enrolling now, do not wait until you are two years out of highschool to finally get on the ball. There is more to life than video games and Mtn. Dew, get off your butt and study; finish this year out strong and don't let the momentum down while in college. Just be sure to visit Emporia after school is out and meet a girl named Alexandria, without her you would be lost, because she will always be there for you and start making a payment on a ring soon; they are really pricey!

Harvey

In High School I had dreams of being an artist and I loved science. I wasn't a particularly good student, but I made descent grades. Nobody in my family had ever gone to college, and it wasn't something that was expected. I loved learning and going to school, but I didn't even know where to start. I had many things going wrong in my life. My father died when I was only four and my mother was very sick. I had a lot of responsibilities and school didn't seem as important. Looking back I really wish I had taken that step. I wasn't sure what I wanted to do with my life. Today I can think of a thosand things to say but the most important would be to just go for it. I eventually lost my mom in 2010 and from that moment i knew there was nothing that could hold me back. I was afraid of failure, mainly because of the feedback I had recieved from some of my high school teachers. Today I have a 3.71 GPA, it isnt perfect but I have worked so hard to get here.

Rokaia

As a senior in high school I was able to take a shorten schedule my last semester. I wish now that I had taken classes that would have counted for college credit. By finishing all of my required classes at the end of the first semester, I did not have to worry about whether or not I would have all my credits finished for graduation. Take the extra time to look for scholarships to help with college expenses. This will help reduce the number of student loans that may be needed. It would also be advantageous to take classes from a community college to help reduce expenses. This could also help with the transition from high school to college. Take any opportunity your high school gives you to succeed. I did the internship at Washburn University because I knew that would be the college I would be attending.

Taquasia

If I had to give myself some advice or could go back in time to tell myself something about college it would be work alot harder. Back then I didnt take high school to the most serious note but I always did put my best effort in and also dont be afraid to ask for help because in high school and colelge help is always a positive thing it could help change a grade that might help your gpa improve. Another thing is stay focused dont let little things distract you just worry about your future and what you want to become later in life. Dont let any surrounding situations bring you down even if your parenst arent around always do wahts best for you.

cora

If i could go back to high school and talk to myself as a senior i would tell myself to look for more and apply for more scholarships. I would also tell myself to get more involved, do sports, join activities on campus and make more friends.

The best imaginable advice is to do exactly what you did, with a little more emphasis on studying. Freshman year of college is the most freeing and rewarding time. Make a point to attend all the campus activites and meet as many people as you can. Talk to everyone in your classes. Make connections! The most beneficial aspect to succeeding in college is a strong support system. Freshman begin alone and scared, but not when they have friends. Form study groups, as they make friends and keep people focused. Don't give up on your classes, even when a test goes bad. Make connections with the professors; they are solely there to help you succeed, so let them help! When confused, seek help. It doesn't make anyone any less intelligent, it just means they are smart enough to ask.

Craig

If I had an opportunity for a do-over, I would choose to have taken more advice from my family. I have always been a person to pursue my own goals in my own way and I could have avoided many hardships if I was less stubborn. However, the hardships I have endured have made me stronger and more grateful for all that I have. An example of this would be my current situation with school. If I had taken my family's advice, I would be done with school and have my degree at this point and would be further in my career. I would be much less stressed because of my financial situation and I would have more free-time to devote to the people I love. However, it is possible that I appreciate every opportunity that I have had a chance to learn from because of the obstacles I have overcome.

LeeAnna

I would tell myself that i would need to make better study habits, because studying in high school does not prepare you for the studying that you will need to do in college. And that you have to stay on top of your hw or else you will get behind and oyou will get overwhelmed and not do very well. Another thing that i would tell myself is to get more involved. This is very important your freshman year so you can meet new people and branch out because some of the people you meet could end up being your best friend. The last thing that i would tell myself is to form a relationship with your teachers and make sure they know who you are. This is important because they can write letters of recommendation for you, and they will be more willing to help you if you speak in class and introduce yourself and make sure that you are not just sitting in the back quiet or sleeping the whole time your in class. Get involved in the lectures and ask manyquestions. Teachers also nominate you for scholorships and groups so they need to know who you are.

Danielle

I would say that I need to take more pre-college classes as a senior in high school so that I can get ahead on my credit hours. I would also tell myself to take a harder course load in high school and not to slack so that college won't be as big of a shock, course work wise. I'd also tell myself to become more interacted with my fellow alumni because they can become great connections for me later in life and business. Finally, I'd tell myself to relax because I'll finally figure out what exactally I want to do with my life.

steven

I would tell myself to have realistic dreams and going out of state isn’t going to work out so you will end up in a community college do to financial issues. That you should have realized that things never work out the way you what them to and you should have just tried for the cheapest way that you can get an education, because now you are attending an absolutely dreadful community college that you can barely afford, your stuck at home with your highly dysfunctional family and you are living a life that if someone told you would be living after college you would laugh at them and say it’s a lie. That if you could live on campus just ten minutes away you would be the happiest man on earth and with just a good scholarship you can stop questioning life and if you will ever get an education and finally have something to live for.

Alexis

The most important thing that I would have liked to been aware of is the individual responsibility as a student. In high school I was told and knew that I would have to be more responsible when being a college student, but it was more than I expected. Unlike the small school I came from where my teachers told us and constantly reminded us of our assignments and deadlines, professors do not do this. Most college professors expect the students to follow the class syllabus and be prepared with no exceptions. I had be well organized and aware in detail of what was going on in each one of my classes. The class syllabus was often online. I wish I would have known how important technology and e-mail would be when becoming a college student. I missed a couple assignments at the beginning of the semester because I did not know to look online at the syllabus to check for upcoming assignments.

Attending college has been the ultimate experience. It has taught me how dependant I truly am, and how much I can handle. It has tested me in many ways, from schoolwork to friends. I have grown into a person I believe is good, and honest, and a valuble assest to whichever path I choose. From the classes I have taken, and the on and off campus jobs I have held, I feels as if I have gained experience that will only help me. Many of the essential characteristics that I have gained, including self-reliance, time management, fiscal responsibilty, and work ethic, I don't believe I would have gotten otherwise. Although it may not be the same for everyone, attending college was definitely the right choice for me, and I don't regret any minute of it.

Lacey

I've learned that I can be my own person and rule my own schedule. I've become more responsible and independent while living on my own going to college. It's hard work, but it's completely worth it. Getting this education is very important for any future jobs I may want and knowing I'm able to take care of myself because college helped me transition to the real world is very reassuring. This is something your parent's can't teach you and it's a very valuable lesson, one that I've greatly appreciated and hope to continue.

Caitlin

I haven't been in college very long so far, but I have valued my short experiences. College is so different than high school in many ways. I have appreciated the level of respect my professors and peers give me and the conduct of the students (no horseplay!) College is much more challenging academically, but I feel like I can actually learn things to further my life and career. We aren't learning the basics anymore, college matters because it impacts where you will be in life.

Allison

When I began college at 16, I was an scared high-school student, naive and unprepared to succeed in this world. As I started attending classes and became integrated into my college, I began to learn the true value of education. I had good professors who invested both time and energy into my life. Their dedication to caring for me as a person, not just a number, opened my eyes and mind to the wonder of the world around me. I learned to be curious and ask questions about everything. I have learned to strive hard after the things that interest me and to take the time to invest in other's lives, so that they too can learn the value of education and knowledge. Because I have come away with such a passion for learning and a greater awareness of what my strengths and weaknesses are as a person, I feel better equipped to start finding my place in this world. My college experience has both opened my mind and given me the basic tools and skills I need to start stepping out of my comfort zone and start pursuing my dreams.

Ariel

I have learned that it is important to reach out to people and to get out of my comfort zone! Growing up in a very small town, I never had to really extend myself to make friends. Being in college, hundreds of miles from my home, family and friends has really made me come out of my shell. So many people and clubs have reached out to me and it's such a relief to know that I can be part of a group and really feel like I belong somewhere! I realize that the friendships I make now are an introduction to the networking that is done in the business world I plan to enter after my college education. Even though I have only been in college for several months, I feel I have learned alot about myself and have improved my social skills.

Mary

I have gained many things from my college experience thus far. Firstly, I have become a much more independant and self-sufficient young woman. I have chosen a major that I strive for a career in everyday, and the academic advisors here willingly guided me through the entire process of choosing said major. I'm really happy with my choice and have such a firm conviction now that Criminal Justice is where I belong. College has been valuable for me to attend because I have gained such a breadth of knowledge and so many skills I will use for the rest of my life. My dad has multiple degrees, and growing up he always knew "everything" when I asked for help with my homework, he is one of the most intelligent, best people I know. Hopefully, someday I can be that for my children, and they can give me a hard time that I know too much, too! I have become a better, more well-rounded, intelligent, responsible person in attending college and I would never take that choice back. I know my education will take me where I want to go in life!

ngonga

i'm a new in USA I just have my green card and i don't know how to speek english verry well! i need to take my english class first then i will do biology because my dream is to be a doctor!

Kara

I have learned how to grow up and do things I generally wouldn't, or want, to do. For a little over a year I was not doing any schooling at all, just working at a minimum wage, part time job. I was happy to have a break from school, but I was not happy with my job or with my income. I tried finding other jobs, but basically the only things out there were minimum wage, part time jobs. I finally came to realize that if I want to ever make something of my life, and be able to support my family in the future, I was going to need to return to college and get my degree. I've only just started school again, but I already feel better about myself for finally starting on the path that will lead me to supporting myself and my family. I already have a job lined up in the career I have chosen, once I've started learning what I need to learn, and as I move forward with my life, I am truely happy, unlike the happiness I thought I had when I wasn't in school.

Lily

College, thus far, has been a growth process. Unfortunately, I didn't do as well as I had hoped I would when starting out due to my lack of motivation/ unfortunate circumstances. After feeling sorry for myself for months, I realized that I was desperate for a change and it needed to be a change that would better me as a person. I concluded that my priorities needed to be adjusted which couldn't change until I gained some self-admiration, so I decided to alter my attitude in a positive way. I started to have faith in myself again and once I began to have faith in myself, my priorities worked themselves out and I became ther person I am today - a student who is dedicated to school more than working. See, my entire life has consisted of me trying to prove myself to my parents and help them any way possible (especially since my mom was laid-off in February of this year), but I'm finally beginning to grasp the fact that in order to help others, I really do have to help myself first and college will undoubtedly help me do just that.

Donald

Currently, I’ve obtained a solid 4.0 GPA while participating in the biology club, American Medical Student Association(AMSA), jujitsu club, and undertaking 10+hours of undergraduate research per week studying behavioral neuroscience with my biology professor. While being an active member and treasurer of biology club, I have dedicated approximately 40 hours first semester tutoring biology students in biology-based courses. I also participated in events held by the biology club such as blood drives, a faculty-student picnic, and Earthfest. I’ve partaken in blood drives help by AMSA and was elected treasurer. I began my undergraduate research my first semester of college, undertaking two research topic under the supervision of Dr Paul Nealen. We are currently studying behavioral neural responses of Zebra Finches to different song stimuli. I’m also studying the anticipatory changes of the cardiovascular system in humans prior to moderate exercise. With this topic, I was qualified as a recipient of the Sushak undergraduate research grant. In addition, I spend many hours tutoring students in both biology and chemistry courses. These experiences have made me grow as a person connecting with other students at our college.

Shantae

My college experience has been very hard. I learned that in order to get where you want to go, you have to keep pushing. I only attended this school for one year because I decided to venture off and try something new. I wanted a better college experience with staff that actually took time to know the students. It is hard to find out things on your own if you have never been taught or told where to look. Part of the staff responsibilities is to make sure you walk out with a great college experience and that you walk out with a better understanding. Not to read a book, take a test then pass. I value a school that engages the students and take time to make sure the students are comprehending what is being taught.

Heather

I have gained knowledge that will help me in the future. The school has helped me expand me knowledge and my view on life. I can now feel comfortable on my own and I feel I am ready to start pursuing my career in child psychology. This school has helped open my eyes to what life truely offers and I will use this to make myself go further in life. I have had the best time of my life in college and I plan on finishing it with a full bachelors, maybe even masters degree in child psychology. Because of this school I am more sociable and I'm not afraid to go acheive greatness.

Jocelyn

I have learned to grow up and not the the little things get to me. I dont let the drama come in the way of my schooling. I have learned that you have to pretty much have a degree to get by in this world now a days. I have only gone to college one semester and so I really havent gotten the whole college experience. I think it will take a couple more semesters and then ill realze what college is all about.

The whole college experience (even though it has only been at a community college so far) has done a lot for me. I have had to work a full time job to be able to pay my way through college which has made me value school that much more. With each semester, I have been able to do so much better and I will continue to do better with each semester. My writing skills have improved so much just in this past semester in which I got all As on my english papers. School isn't for everyone, but it definitely is for me. School has been of great value to me in increasing my social skills as well as my academic intelligence. I feel that life is too short to just work at a dead end job for the rest of my life. I want to acheve the highest level of education that I possibly can so I can have a career that I love. I'm not exactly sure what I want to do career wise, but I have a little bit of time to figure it out.

Melanie

College for me has been a challenge; moving to a different location, coming out of my shell to meet new people, learning things I never thought I could learn, and ultimately excelling in general. I have learned that no matter what, I can do what I set my mind to. My first year in college has not been an easy one. I am a very shy person, so to make friends I had to step outside my comfort zone and talk to people that I did not know. I was shaking my first day because I was scared of what was to come. Washburn was a welcoming place and I have made tons of friends. I have also learned a lot in my first year and I remember all that I have learned. College has been a great experience so far because it has helped me to grow up in a way that nothing else could have. It has been valuable to me because I believe that without it, I would be a different person and I like who I am at this point in my life.

I have learned that not making a choice is still making a choice. It is important to do all of your homework, even if it seems silly or worthless at the time. It can be very difficult at times to balance your social and your study time, but you should strive to do so. It is worth the effort in the end. I have found "education" to be multi-faceted term that covers so much more than reading, writing, and arithmetic. College has been a safe-zone miniature version of the real adult world we seem so anxious to reach. We are given more responsibilities, but not all of them. We have to learn to budget our time, our energy, and our money. We develop discipline. And, by the time we graduate, we have been presented with the keys to unlock a successful future for ourselves.

katelyn

If i could go back and give myself advice i would tell my self a few things. First i would tell my self that i better prepare for these next several years because they will be getting harder and harder. I would tell myself that the challenges i was going to be faced with would not only change my outlook on life, but my confidence. I would assure myself more often that i can do anything i put my mind to, and not let myself down like i used to. I need to keep encouraging myself and pushing myself to do better, because i know i can. It seems so long ago that i was a senior in high school. I would tell myself to start getting my perspectives and outlooks on life prioritized because the next few years, time management is critical in my studies.

Matt

I would tell myself to learn how to manage my time better. There is alot of downtime here at school and it is easy to get distracted away from what you should be doing. Another thing is that studying for tests is a crucial part of college. I could get away with not studying in high school, but in college it is neccessary.

Mary

As a senior in a small town, I never knew how much college would change my life. First off, I would not wait until the last minute to choose my college of my choice. I was unable to receive many scholarships due to the timing when I chose Washburn. Second, college life is a tough situation because I need to balance school, Greek life, and church. No matter what I do through school, I must keep going to church and follow in the correct direction. College will be an exciting time especially leaving home and being able to learn and grow up without mom and dad around. This will teach me that I can do many things on my own and be successful. College is also not a way to just get away from high school friends that weren't always nice. Your past will always be with you and you must grow from the high school experience. There are not going to be hot guys just because you move from one town to another. Lastly, do not be scared of living somewhere else besides home, it is a great experience and to live each day to the fullest.

Jenica

I would tell myself not to sweat the small stuff and that there is always a reason behind everything. I would have also told myself to learn how to study more. It took me a couple semester to really figure out that I needed to study hard to achieve good grades, and it was not high school, where everything just came easily to me. The third thing I would tell myself is to look deeper into the sacrifices my parents made. Looking back, I realize I had the best parents in the world who only wanted the best for me in my life. Now that I spend substantially less time with them, I enjoy every little moment I have with them and cherish the memories I make. Finally, I would tell myself that life is way too short to be serious 100{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} of the time. Letting loose and clearing my mind of everything that was going on in my life in high school would have helped me relax more and have more fun doing everything. To be successful in life, it is important to mix all the elements of life and enjoy the ride!

Lindsay

If I could go back in time, I would advise myself to prepare for college by getting rid of all my expectations. In high school, your schedule is made for you, your friends have been near for years, and you have parents and school rules to guide you and discipline you. In college, everything changes. First, you make your own schedule of classes and work. This is a very good thing, especially when you have a variety of classes to choose from or a part-time job that needs your time. Next, your friends from high school move away to other colleges and you begin to see them only once or twice a year. This is why a new college student must break out of their shell and be very involved on campus. The only way to make new friends is by talking and joining in activities with the people around you. The most important thing that changes in the transition to college is discipline. Unless you develop self-control on your own and manage your time, your college experience will not be very pleasant. The way to prepare for college is to expect something totally different from high school.

Daniella

If I could go back in time I would tell myself to fill out as many college scholarship applications as possible. Score high on the ACT and get involved in school activities. As far as making the transition from high school to college goes it was fairly easy because I took many college courses. I would tell myself to keep up the good work because it really paid off. Now I have one less year of college to pay for. Getting a year out of the way really helped my college GPA and made me get on the Dean's List this semester. Most of all, I would reassure myself that college is a great experience where you can become the professional you want to be.

Meagan

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself to stay focused and enjoy the experience. Even though high school is only a few years, the decisions that you make, can make a great difference in your near future. Give it your all! When it is time for you to walk across the stage to recieve your diploma, it will feel amazing to be able to say, "I did it! I tried my hardest and accomplished something big!" Plan ahead, make sure you are focused on why you are working so hard. It's ok to be undecided on what you want to do, but be prepared for when your ready to start making decisions and plans. Utilize your resources. School counselors, parents, and teachers can help you through out your journey. Ask as many questions as you can, and take notes! You never know when you may need them! Have fun! Try to gain the most out of your high school experience. Volunteer your time, be involved in school activies, and get excited for the future that you have worked towards. You will do great things!

College is a time to be open to many opportunities. I would say that if you want the most out of your college experience be prepared to really being responsible and always be open to learning more. Not only will you learn more about school or other people around you, you will also learn more about yourself and what you need to do to achieve what you want out of life. Make friends and participate in activities that will broaden your horizons but don't take on too much than you can handle. College is a fun time in your life but also the most critical time as well. This is the time that pretty much determines your future. Stay focused and know that you are here for an education first but everything else like a great social life just comes with the package. Stay motivated and use all your resources for a successful time in your college life. Have fun but most of all and be responsible and safe.

Krystal

My first year of college was very difficult and overwhelming. If I could talk to myself as a senior I would first recommend taking a college experience class if offered. Taking this class my second year helped me tremendously and I wish I would have learned how to have good study skills and what to expect on the test before experiencing it and failing. I also would tell myself to be actively involved with the school. If you join a club or sport it will be easier to make the friends you need that will give you the support to succeed. I would also tell myself not to be afraid to talk to the professor privately. Many things got very confusing my first year and it took me awhile to realize that the professors are there to help and will not think my questions are stupid. Study habits are also very important. You will not get the grade you want if you procrastinate. In college they do not accept late work so putting off your social plans will have to happen sometimes and the library will become your new friend. If my studies always come first I will succeed.

Jacqueline

I believe if I saved more money for living expenses and extracurricular activities ahead of time, I could spend less time on working and more time on school. I spend 20-30 hour per week working as well as being a collegiate athlete, and taking a full semester. If I didn't need that money for living expenses, I could spend more time studying and become more involved in my college life. It would have been advantageous to myself had I took more college classes in high school-I took a few, but more would've helped me get to graduating college faster. Also, I would've made the decision to not play a collegiate sport. Even though, I'm a scholarshiped athlete, I feel like if I didn't make that decision to be an athlete, then I could spend more time studying aside from practicing, conditioning/weight lifting, traveling for hours, missing class, playing games, etc. I love playing my sport, but it's extremely difficult to maintain a high GPA and play a sport. In conclusion, three things I wish I would've re-assessed are working, playing sports, and better money managagment.

Joshua

You should decide on a major before entering college and strive to achieve that degree as quickly as possible. If you don't know what you would like to major in, take a few classes in several different fields and decide what you would like to do for the rest of your life based on which classes catch your interest the most.

Caitlin

I would tell myself to thank my high school teachers. The teachers at my high school pushed and challenged my class to prepare us for college. Without them I would not have been nearly as successful throughout my first three semesters of being a college student! I would also try to convince myself not be get anxious about moving away from home. Even though I knew it back then, it didn't actually sink in until I had lived by myself for awhile that I was ready to take control of my life and trust myself to make good life decisions. Reminding myself that there are other freshman that are in my same shoes that are moving to a new "home" without any friends and feeling the same things that I was would also have helped me. However, I think the most important thing I could say to myself would be to keep up the good work and continue to give my all in everything that I do. Because that's all I can ever ask or expect of myself.

Vershon

If I could go back and give my self advice my senior I would tell myself to apply my skills more. My senior i really didnt apply myself to my capability and I know now that i could have done a lot better to be more prepared for college life now. I took my last year for granted and would tell younger students that college is a good experince but if you apply yourself now in high school college can be more fun and a lot skillful with the classes you take. It would also give you a better decision on what would you want to major in college. I would go to counciling office more and ask for options on what to do in college and encourage myself more to keep pushing even though school can get frustrating at times. I would be able to tell myself that college is not a joke it is a place of business and learning but at the same time you can have fun while learning.

Molly

I would first tell myself that working a part-time job during high school and saving the money for college was well worth it and to keep it up. As far as advice, I would tell myself to put more focus and time on the classes I took in high school and the first couple years of college that had significance for my major. I would also try to ease some of my anxiety I had with the transition of college by telling myself I have the intelligence and ability to pass each class I am about to take. To relieve the anxiety of the first set of college exams I would say the best thing to do going into an exam besides accurately preparing by studying, is to have confidence and tell yourself that you have studied, you are ready, and you have the ablity to answer each question.

Misty

Choose a college for small class sizes, reputation, and cost. These will all affect your future the most. The small class sizes are extremely important in doing well in school. The reputation of the school decides whether or not you will be able to get a decent job once you are finished and the cost will determine how much you will be in debt by the time you graduate. I believe I picked the perfect school for me and wouldn't change a thing. I love Washburn University!

The advice a would give myself is to relax, breathe, and think about how great the experience is going to be and how to make it that way. I would tell myself to always be prepared to work hard and grow up because it is all on me to be responsible and focused. Being focused is key. If you are not focused it doesn't take long to fall behind and it will take a toll on you to catch up. No one is going to babysit you or make you go to class or study. Allow yourself time to do all of that. Space out and organize your time appropriately so that you are always on top and in control of things. When you are in control, you can enjoy your experience a lot more and won't be as stressed or overwhelmed with getting things done on time or having a clutter of things to do. Also, take advantage of the things offered to you like tutoring or couseling. It will only make yourself better and much more confident. Sometimes we need those things to succeed and get through things. Lastly, I would say just have fun.

Cody

I would tell myself to do exactly what I have done.

Blake

Change is what college is about. It is something that allows you to creavtively, with a lot of studying and knowledge, change from high school to be ready for the real world. Gandhi said, "You must be the change you wish to see in the world." This is the motto from which I live by and when picking a University or a college have to keep in mind. What do the students who graduate from the location look like? What are they capable of doing? What products does this campus make? and Do you want to be that product? Not every campus has a well developed, stagnant graduate, this where sound judgement and the ability to specialize your vision of your college career come into play. Knowing how you, as an individual, work and what you need are two things that you have in the front of your mind. Find somewhere where you can feel yourself succeeding, and if you find some place that feels easy, you might take it, only if it fits you also. Lastly, you will find one, you just have to be looking for one. The change will happen, when you least expect it.

Bailey

Look at more than one college. One at first may not seem that great, but once you visit it that school could be the best place for you. Secondly, get involved. This allows you to make new friends that really come in handy during those tough times during Freshmen year. Thirdly, take chances. Take the time to explore new activities and find out what you enjoy and what you don't enjoy. This will allow you to get to know yourself better. Finally, don't let anything get in your way when it comes to working towards a certain goal. Obstacles include, negative friends, bad professors, difficult papers, and the list goes on. Keep pushing through. It's not supposed to be easy. If it was, then everybody would be doing it.

Kevin

First off, it doesn't have to be about where your friends are going. Think about what you're interested in doing with your life. Find a good, accredited school that suits your needs, and apply. For students who are unsure of what they would like to do, keep in mind that the first few semesters of college will be, for the most part, general electives. As a former "1st-time college student", I highly recommend living on-campus during your first year of college. It is an amazing way to learn more about yourself, and the fastest way to make new, life-long friends. Always have an open mind when it comes to campus activities and taking part in them. Living on your universities campus will also allow you to be closer to your classes for easier access to your professors and facilities, which I believe is very important during your first year. For anyone out there who is not planning to attend college, I urge you to reconsider. No matter what you plan to do with your life, there is a degree out there to help you along your path to success.