Washington Adventist University

« See more reviews of Washington Adventist University

I recommend to the parents, research to institution that you child wants to attend. It is important to know what major are offered, the location, retention statistics and finacial structure. For students, it is never too early to start looking for a college to attend. I recommend to start looking at the start of sophmore year of high school. Apply for scholarships and grants, because every little bit helps. COMPLETE YOUR FASFA ASAP! You better you chances in getting aid for school. Plan to visit the schools that you apply. It is a good idea to make an unexpected visit to the school to see how campus life is on a normal basis. Talk with facaulty, staff and students to get a view of how college is at the college. Students, when you first get to college, realize that you are there to get a degree. You would not believe how many people flunk out of college in there freshmen year because they skip class and party a majority of the time. If you are having problems with homework or understanding what the professor said, ask for assitant from the professor or academic tutor. But of all things, just have fun.

In life, there are individuals who are faced with the reality of moving away from home and starting a new life. Those who lack the moral conduct of understanding the hospitality of true leadership may founder to the distractions of what the college life has to offer. Many freshmen students tend to lack the focus needed to excel and achieve what they have entered college to do. The truth is, some students are now entering an environment where temptation is never far away and active choices are always put to the test. If I had the opportunity to turn back the hands of time, the advice that I would give myself would be to have a broader mind when it comes to activities. I think that if I had had this momentum with me my freshmen year of college then the campus would have had more fun activities. I chose this advice because the campus really lacks school spirit and other traditional activities that would normally take place on campus grounds. Overall, I see that a lot has changed since my freshmen year and more activities are constantly being planned for the students, which in my opinion is awesome.

I would advice that when applying for schools, they should worry more about what education they will recieve rather than the tution. For parents, I would advice them to support whatever decision their child makes. I would advice parents not to force their alma mater on their child. The parents might have recieved a great education, but it does not mean their child will. For students, I would advice them to apply to every university they believe is right for them. After getting accepted, compare the universities they applied to and pick whichever university they believe is the better. Follow your heart. After starting your first year, make friends and get involved in everything, when though you think you won't have time, get involved. I advice students not to only worry about studying all the time, go out and have fun. Keep your social life and education on a good levels. And if you feel like you're alone or anything, talk to your professors or your friends. Lastly, call your parents and/or family members; just because you're in college doesn't mean that your parents have forgetten about you.

Conan O'Brien said on his speech at Dartmouth College that when you work hard and you're kind, amazing things happen. It may not hit you yet, but after getting off that stage after giving your own graduation speech, you're heading to the Culinary Institute of America, the World's Premier Culinary College. What you've basically done over your high school years is what will set you up for many days to come. Youth and Government gave you the awareness of what needs to be known around the world. Playing in the tennis team helped your sense of teamwork and leadership. Working at Robeks for two weekends shows how it sucks in the working world, and working for your parents taught you that crunching numbers is not the way to live. All I know is that the people around you will respect you and your work ethic because you treat them fairly. As a result, these people will become your friends and just as you know it, it's like high school again, except better. One last thing, bring clothes on your last day of work... people will throw you in the pool as an au revoir.

As a senior in high school you tend to get sucked into the hype and competitiveness of the application process. The majority of students want to go to a highly recognized university, though at the time we hardly understand if it will be a good fit for our chosen career. I would tell myself to finish my basic studies first in a local community college. I will be saving thousands of dollars and it will also enable me to make the transition to real university life much smoother. I would tell my younger self that this will give me enough time to decide if the career I chose will still be a good choice to me after a year of taking introductory courses on that subject. Many community colleges have programs that seamlessly transfer you from their programs to that of a university for a degree. College life will be the best years of your life; it's a clich? because it's true. So I would tell myself that college life and making the transition from teenager to young adult life will make the best memories, but make sure you jump in with the best information by your side.

The advice I would give myself is, "prepare yourself for a sample of the 'real world'. You will no longer be living under your mother's roof and rules, so you have to learn how to be independent and carry yourself in a proper way. Try to stay focus, study hard, and get your work done on time. Procrastination leads to workload, which leads to stress, and gray hairs for you at a young age. Its alright to ask for help, and don't feel embarrassed if you don't know something, because we're all there to learn. Time management is a must; it helps you stay on track. Set your priorities straight, and remember what's more important and what can be placed on hold. I'm not saying that you can't have a social life; just don't let fun outweigh your books. Always be a leader and not a follower; if people don't accept you just the way you are, then you don't need friends like them. It's better to stand for something than fall for anything. Take advantage of your education, never forget where you came from, and appreciate your parents."

College has definitely been a life changing experience. It shows us what responsibility is. It allows us to cherish what our parents have done for us throughout the years, and also what they couldn't do. I graduated valedictorian from high school. It was a great moment in my life, but once I entered college I woke up to the reality that life is very difficult. If I could go back in time, I would tell myself: "Hey, Janil! I came back from the future just to tell you that this is your time to shine! Enjoy this moment as if it was your only. Life is going to be full of responsibilities and college will be hard, but those difficult moments will make you a great person. They will make you stronger and more understanding. Take all the knowledge you can from your professors but also cherish their work. God has put people in your path so you could learn from their actions, or to show you how hard life is going to be. But no matter how hard it gets it also brings excitement with it. Live to the fullest and be yourself!"

As a senior in high school, I was terrrified of what college would be like. I would listen to college students and they would make it sound horrific. Now that I am actually a college student, I no longer have the scared mentality. If I could go back and talk to myself as a high school senior, then I would tell myself to be less shy. I was very scared of meeting new people, and even stayed in my room the whole day. I was too scared to talk to anyone. Eventually I got out of my comfort zone and began to open up, but the process could have been smoother. Another thing I would tell myself as a high school senior, is to be more independent. I relied on my mother a lot while I was in high school, and now I am on my own. I would suggest getting a job, because the money is very much needed. Also, work on time management skills, because procrastination is a bad habit to get out of. I suggest that you prioitize your work, because there are times when you want to hang out with friends. Just stay focused.

High school Hannah, don't worry about boys, they come and they go. Stay focused on your studies and get your college applications in. Apply for scholarships everyday and look everywhere for them. There are more scholarships available than you could ever think of! Work hard and pay attention every day. You never know how much high school matters until you get to college. You actually do need to know the information you learn in high school. Don't skip all those classes. You can't skip your college classes, you won't have a nice teacher that will give you the information you missed. Education is a prioriety for you Hannah, boys and parties are just an option. Stay focused and never let your goals get out of reach. If you think you can do it, you can do it! Plus... you never know until you try. Oh, and one more thing Hannah... If you fall get right back up and try it again. After a while, you'll learn not to fall again. :)

There are three easy lessons to be learned in making the transition from high school to college as smooth as possible. The first of these lessons is to study. Classes will always be easier if you assume everything is harder than it really is. Studying for the simplest of test and quizzes only makes them that much simpler. The second lesson is to save. There is no mystery that college is extremely expensive. Going from high school to college consist of making new friends and familiarizing yourself with a new campus and new teachers. Worrying about finances is both stressful and unnecessary, saving eliminates the issue altogether. The third lesson is the trickiest of them all, prioritizing. With college comes freedom, there are no parents or guardians monitoring your every step. It is up to the student to study and go to class as opposed to watching television and partying.