Lexington, VA
Washington and Lee University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Washington and Lee University

Hunter

It is a great university with a lot of opportunities for students to get involved. The campus is beautiful, the people are very friendly, and the academics are very strong. The class size is small, encouraging a lot of collaboration and participation by all students. A top choice for my future college career!

Riley

It was not until about halfway through my junior year that I even knew Washington and Lee existed. When I did learn about it, however, I was immediately attracted to the school. I was fascinated by the rich history of the university and by the awe inspiring views of the picturesque mountain setting. I was also impressed by the enduring honor code system which is instituted at the university. To further immerse myself in the school, I followed W&L on multiple social media outlets, such as Instagram and Snap-chat. With all these attractions in mind, the final ideal situation which pushed me towards making the decision to apply to W&L, was the ability to compete in the varsity sport of wrestling. In April I met Coach Shearer and he invited me onto campus for a visit. I was delighted to see that everything I had read online was true, but I was also substantially impressed by the wrestling program that he was building. He has been able to round up a group of guys who are not only good wrestlers, but truly great people with outstanding character. There is nothing that would make my college experience more enjoyable then to be a student at a prestigious university such as W&L and to be able to compete in the sport I love with a group of individuals who have the same goals as I do.

Maya

Choosing a university is a complex and difficult process, but I truly think this is the best choice I could have made. On my campus, I feel safe, included, and have already met some of the most ambitious and intelligence people I have ever encountered. There are a plethora of opinions, and intellectual conversation is a staple of both the classroom and the dining hall. We are a politically active and outspoken campus. We need to work (a lot) on diversity, but there are outlets for minority students, such as my place in the Latino Student Organization. Overall, this campus has become a true second home to me.

Demoriya

The campus is beautiful and the first-year and junior housing were recently renovated, so they are very nice facilities. It's a small university so everyone knows each other and the class sizes are small. There are plenty of kind, engaging professors, but the bad professors are really bad. The social scene is a bit odd. The majority of the students are white and wealthy, and almost everyone is in a sorority or fraternity. Overall, if you can thrive in the social scene it's a good college with a lot of opportunities during and after your undergraduate experience.

Matthew

Some say that they have walked onto a college campus and instantly knew that this was the college for them, but with W&L, everyone knows. This university is amazing. Why? Because everyone pitches in to make it amazing. The Honor System and Speaking Tradition are not just advertisements that mean nothing. They are actually used and followed by student and professor alike. There is respect from one person to another, and every person loves it as much as the next.

Sally
Great academics, great social scene, but that bubble though

Great academics, great social scene, but that bubble though

The school is great. Academics are amazing. Yes, most of the funding seems to go to the business school but the school does care about the other programs. The science center is home to high tec and up-to-date equipment. You only go to football games for a half, but you see almost all of the school out on WFS nights.

An amazing, vibrant, exciting place where you attain an excellent education.

An amazing, vibrant, exciting place where you attain an excellent education.

As a high school senior I was so worried about whether or not I would be accepted into the perfect college and what I would decide to do when I got there. If I could go back, I would tell myself that there is no such thing as ONE perfect plan or path. I would comfort myself with the knowledge that when you work hard, you accrue wonderful options and opportunities. I would tell myself that the most meaningful experiences were the challenging ones and that my life turned out so much better that I could ever have imagined or planned for. I would tell myself that by staying the course, and trying to be fair, and doing right by others, the future makes itself known and things work out for the best. I would tell myself that everysay is what you choose to make of it, and life is too short to be unhappy wor stress about the kinds of non-issues that plagued me when I was fifteen. I would say that people regurgitate cliches like "use your head" and "follow your heart" because they're true. I'd also say "don't worry, college is a blast!"

It has an amazing community, culture, and history. Town and campus are steeped in a rich tradition and they take the honor policy very seriously. Phenomenal choice of classes and professors.

puh

I hate this school. I really do.

I hate this school. I really do.

Rich, white, Republican, Greek-obsessed, Southern, snooty, alcoholics. Very accurate. Those who aren't have no friends; how sad is that?

Alcohol to the point of vomiting or further, multiple nights a week, week after week after week.

Credit load compared to other colleges is really low - 12 or 13 credits per semester, with one 4-credit mini semester at the end of the year. It's easy to get B+s, kind of hard to get As.

I wish I at least had an idea of how amazing this school would be. I was not prepared to be completely blown away by every aspect of the school.

The best thing about my school is the sense of community. From the buzzing Greek life to the speaking tradition, everything about this school makes you feel like you're part of a family, but also something larger than yourself.

Prepare yourself for the real world. While it may seem like you are in a social bubble at college and it may seem like everybody there is a happy student who wants to make new friends, there WILL be people who will hurt you. People will make decisions that could adversely affect you for the rest of your life. There may not be a way to prevent this but at least know coming in that this could occur and mentally prepare yourself for dealing with people who aren't necessarily looking out for you. Within three months of attending school I was raped. It was not my fault and looking back I cannot see a way to prevent it. That being said, I didn't realize that someone who I considered to be my best friend would be capable of this type of action. You have to open your eyes and realize that not everyone in this world is good and they do not all have good motives. The people closest to you are the ones that are capable of hurting you the most.

Ryan

The most striking aspect of Washington and Lee is its strong honor system. The students here are simply expected to act like gentlemen or women, and are treated as if they are. Thus, we are allowed to take tests without a proctor in the room, and sometimes are even permitted to take the tests back to our dorm. In these cases, the University simply assumes that we are honorable enough to be trusted not to cheat. However, if any student is discovered breaking that trust, the only punishment is expulsion, as the standard fo trust does not allow for exceptions.

Hindsight is 20/20, according to the old saying, and if given the opportunity to speak to myself as a high school senior I would impart what wisdom I have accumulated in my few months of college life to help increase his foresight. My primary responsibility would be to illuminate the two-edged sword that is freedom. I would warn him that soon he would have no safety net to catch his fall if he should stumble. My younger self should be told that having no one watching over him means that there is no one to warn him when he is overworking himself and needs to invest some time in his friends. Should I gain the ability to travel through time, I would tell my younger self that time itself will run too fast to control in college life, and that it will seem to be more valuable and more rare than gold. Should my younger self be blinded by fear at my dire warnings, however, I will impart upon him the exhilaration of being able to make one's own choices, and hopefully I will help the scales fall from his eyes.

The most disappointing aspect of my experience at Washington and Lee has been the appalling treatment of women. The statistics for rape are four times the national average, and ultimately I have been underwhelmed by the University's lackluster response to this intolerable situation. The University has hosted several programs in which strategies for rape prevention and bystander intervention, but I remain skeptical as to their effectiveness, as there has been little decrease in the number of rapes in the last few years.

Washington and Lee University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.