Lexington, VA
Washington and Lee University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Washington and Lee University

The best thing is the education and the networking possibilities. DIII sports enables you to continue to play for the love of the game and still be able to focus on academics and your social life. I think that recruitment should happen the first week of school. The current recruitment system focuses too much on money, drinking, and sexual behavior. It eats up all the time of the active brothers and sisters and then pressures incoming freshmen to be super "awesome" and do poorly in their classes (the whole reason they are at school in the first place). Off campus parties encourage reckless drunk driving, enable sexual assault, and get us in trouble with the County and the City police. We would be safer if the school would let us party on campus and have the security/RAs could monitor us instead of trying to give us strikes and send us to the hospital. My school is far too small. It has none of the majors you would want- there is barely a dance program. The art program is not developed enough. There is no marketing/advertising major. There is a business major, science majors, a journalism school, and then all of the traditional liberal arts majors. The romance languages department is phenomenal. The History, Anthropology/Sociology, and Art History departments are fantastic and the faculty are outstanding. Dean Watkins needs to go. She is a terrible Dean. She cannot understand the student body and fails to work with the culture. She is too hidebound and uneducated. Dean Futrell and Dean Dobin do their jobs well and have a better understanding of the culture and how to respond to the social problems of the school. Dean Leonard, Dean of Freshmen, is about that business, but can be lenient and really helpful. Dean Dobin struggles. President Ruscio is much better than the last joker and is putting the school on the track to becoming Davidson. He is a great guy. However, W&L is changing. It is NOT the W&L that your daddy went to, so don't expect that reality anymore. The biggest recent controversy is "the list," which I wrote with some of my friends in private and which got circulated over the GroupWise network. Currently, me and my friends are being tried for sexual misconduct, because we engaged in private speech. W&L's administration cares very little for your freedom of speech. When I started blogging about everything going on, Dean Watkins insisted that I take down my blog or I would expelled. Again, you don't have freedom of speech. Everyone is too sensitive these days- see the Bracket (the last controversy over freedom of speech). I wish people at W&L would exercise their Constitutional rights to not read things that they would find offensive and if their feelings get hurt, then they should go home and live with their mommies. I will always remember the ridiculous mixers and theme parties. I will always remember random misadventures and controversial drama. I will always remember the people who treated me with respect and who were down even when everyone acted like a fool- you can find some of these people.

W&L is primarily heterosexual, WASP, Upper Echelon individuals. The administration is trying to recruit diversity. However, the student body despises diversity for the most part. If you don't have a lot of money, get a job and pretend like you do (this will help you fit it). Also, most people are politically conservative. There are a lot of racists and homophobes. Don't go here if you are not white, rich, and straight. You're life will be so much easier at state school. Also, if you are not from the Northeast, the South, or the Atlantic Coast (or California) go somewhere else. We hate diversity. Where you come from affects what Greek house you join.

Academics are the top selling point of this University. Don't let social life at W&L get in your way of excelling academically. It is possible to do both; however, it is a very very very delicate balance.

Social life is all about drinking... It is a shit show all the time. You can always find drugs and alcohol if you want them. It is much easier to get them as a guy than as a woman. It is a lot more acceptable for guys to do drugs than women. So women, just drink, but don't black out or you will be raped. It is a delicate balance. And if you drink, don't eat. If you are not thin, no one will like you. M, W, F, S are the big going out days. Tuesday and Thursday are reserved for special occasions. There is no bar scene, because if you have/use a fake ID anywhere in the US you will be expelled (if you are caught). Don't get a fake and don't use it in VA for sure. There is no dating scene. You hook up with people and then maybe you become bf/gf later. Guys are looking to hook up, not date unless you are exceedingly awesome.

Washington and Lee University is predominantly Greek. If you don't want to join a frat or a srat, go somewhere else. No matter what anyone tells you about Greek life, it is very hierarchical. If you can't handle being at the bottom (after making stupid mistakes during informal recruitment in the Fall), then go home and don't rush and complain about it later. Washington and Lee University is predominantly composed of WASPs. If you have morals, values, and are looking for a religious community, you should probably look elsewhere. There are a few strong religious groups; however, the God-squad are great people, but they have a really rough time at W&L. W&L students are mostly alcoholics. Most students drink (heavily- to the point of blackout) over 2 times a week. Expect to go out Monday, Wednesday, Friday, and Saturday. If there is a Phi Delt party on Tuesday or Thursday, you must go out then too. The more you drink and go out without vomming or getting sexually assaulted, the more awesome you are. The more awesome you are, the higher the probability that you will get into a great frat or srat. W&L has great open parties. This is one of the good points about the school, if you like free alcohol and going out. W&L is exceedingly small and everyone knows your sexual history and business. If you can't handle the goss, go somewhere else. Greek life encourages this atmosphere, so if you hate goss and don't want your life to be talked about perezhilton style, go to a bigger school. A good number of people at W&L smoke pot. A select group of people at W&L blow coke. There are secret drinking/drug societies. These societies are very elite. If you don't like this behavior, go somewhere else. It will be around you constantly especially at the top frats and srats. The sexual assault rate is higher at W&L than at any other school. Female co-eds are not safe. The exceedingly high rate of alcohol abuse and drug abuse amplifies this reality for women. This problem has from time to time affected male co-eds as well (yes, men can be assaulted by women or men, just as women can). While you would like to think that the Honor Code is real at W&L, it is only real for some people. Other people will lie, cheat, steal, and act ungentlemanly at their leisure. I was stalked and physically assaulted twice by a female at this school. A lot of people lied in order to protect this person and keep her in the school, even though she is obviously psychologically imbalanced. W&L cannot protect its students from psychologically imbalanced students. I had to get a Protective Order from Rockbridge County and file two counts of physical assault and one count of stalking from the County in order to be safe. Also, my car was vandalized by a student. The administration is very uptight and if you enjoy your freedom of speech, you should go somewhere else. This school is very uptight and rigid. The only place you can speak your mind is either the class room (where you can speak your mind about intellectual concepts) or in private at a frat house. You will be judged on your sexual behavior. Get ready. If you can survive this place, you can survive anywhere and get anywhere in life. Welcome to the jungle.

The best thing about W&L is the relationship between professor and student. Every professor I've ever had on campus -- and sometimes those I haven't had, too -- all know me by name. They know where I'm from, they know where I'm going, they know my strengths and my weaknesses, my passions, my friends. I house-sit for them. I baby-sit for them. I meet them for coffee or meals to discuss life. I'll always remember -- my professor's daughter was facing chemotherapy last year. Some of the students wanted to do something nice for the family, and the word spread. We even had professors volunteering their help. We organized a huge potluck dinner at their house in her honor. The broadcast students volunteered hours interviewing her friends and family, finally piecing together a very slick film compilation of her friends' encouraging messages. I've never been prouder of my school than at that dinner -- looking around and seeing my peers initiate and collaborate so selflessly, working after-hours hand-in-hand with our professors. It's truly unlike any other school. I am exceptionally proud to be a part of this community.

The stereotype says that all W&L students are rich, white and southern. That's not true. There are a few students who are rich, white and northern ...

I highly recommend embracing the town. Some people argue that it's boring ... and it does entirely shut down at 5:00pm. However, don't miss out ... My pharmacist knows my name, my prescriptions, and my medical history. I know every barrista at both coffee shops, and they all know my name and my order. I know the owner of almost every shop in the downtown area. I've been actively welcomed by so many families to both churches I've regularly attended. Walking down the street, you're constantly waving at everyone you pass -- your roommate, your friend, your professor, the sheriff, your favorite waitress, the postman, your church pianist, your Spanish t.a. -- it's like Mayberry, you know and trust everyone. On Wednesday mornings, around 8am, random characters will show up at the coffee shop. A kid with an electric guitar. An old man with his banjo. A professor with his saxophone. A local artist with her fiddle. A couple of people who happened to bring harmonicas. They pick a key and start improvising together over their coffee. A girl starts singing along in the back corner. Pleasantly surprising experiences like this are hidden all over Lexington. I can't say that W&L embraces them, which is why I think a number of people take too long to realize the lovely quirks of the town. My friends seek these gems out and will greatly miss this precious town.

That's not true. There are a few students who are rich, white and northern ...

I can't say that professors are always exceptionally qualified. Many definitely are. The sciences, the art history department, politics, economics, etc. But in the art and journalism departments, for example, no professor's resume will blow you away. At first, I thought "uh oh" because it seems like a very small department with unremarkable professors. But then you realize that your experience will be very different than a big-name school with big-name professors. And in my opinion, it has been better. My professors and I are dear friends, and you are a big fish in a little pond. By my sophomore year, I had anchored for the W&L local news station and been editor-in-chief of two campus publications. You don't have to wait till senior year to get out of the lecture hall -- from day one, your professors guide you as you dive in to work with your hands in real-world situations. Comparing the education I've received with those of my friends, I am so pleased with the broad development and depth of study that I've never seen evidence of anywhere else. I wouldn't trade it for the world. I feel like I'm a more well-rounded person AND extraordinarily prepared for my career path.

There's no accepted social opportunities outside of the party scene. The administration keeps trying and trying in vain. If that's your scene, there's a place for you, safer than anywhere else -- we have a student-run sober-ride system that has made it extraordinarily safe -- and does, as a result, enable the irresponsible behavior. However, if that's not your scene, don't fret! The first week, it's overwhelming, and then you start figuring out that there's plenty of other students like you. I am a senior, and in all four years, I have never touched a drink at a frat party. You say "no thanks" and people respect that. I went out with my friends for a while, but after so many years, now we plan our own parties -- game night w a glass of wine, or a picnic by the river, or a wild excursion, or a movie, or hiking ...

The stereotype says that all W&L students are rich, white and southern.

Andy

Washington and Lee is a relatively small liberal arts institution that provides the perfect balance of community, rigorous academics, student athletes, talented professors and dedicated staff members. Being a part of a campus where you see familiar faces daily and have many opportunities to take part in campus activities is very comforting. Lexington Virignia is a very small town but has a lot of character. The students here definitely embrace the "country" aspects of Lexington and take advantage of its beauty. Along with respecting our college town, Washington and Lee students take great pride in being a General even after they graduate. The alumni of Washington and Lee remain in high contact and involvment with the University and constantly aim to maintain a strong and high level of school pride.

W&L has a student body that is very involved in extracurriculars especially the Greek System. We have what we call the "speaking tradition" on campus which is very comforting because everyone you pass on the campus is to speak to one another with a simple hello or acknowledgment.

Like in most places, there are definitely cases where stereotypes hold true on personal levels, but looking at the student body as a whole I think that W&L provides a very welcoming and comforting environment.

Academics here at Washington and Lee are different from many large institutions that hold classes of 80 to sometimes 100 +. My biggest class this year was about 25 in a math class and the smallest was about 14 in a spanish class. The professors are very concentrated in making sure that our experiences here at W&L as a student are of a high caliber, challenging and at the same time enjoyable.

While W&L is a very academically focused school, there is also a big concentration on the social/party life. There are basically 3-4 nights of parties a week. There is always something going on whether it is organized on campus or by the fraternities etc. Fraternities and Sororities in my opinion dominate the social scenes outside of the academic day. However, if you choose not to participate in that or not drink etc. there are campus organized activities and things around town to do. There is somewhat of a dating scence but mostly it is classified as "random hookups". With W&L's strong honor code people can leave doors open, bookbags lying around etc. and know that in 9 out of 10 times everything will be exactly how they left it.

A lot of times I hear that people assume W&L kids are rich, snobby and cocky.

Kelly

The best thing about Washington and Lee is the faculty and the quality of the academics. The school is definitely too small--everyone knows everything about everyone. But if you want to graduate high school only to go to a college that is just like high school, you'll be right at home. Unless you are from the South, no one knows anything about Washington and Lee. It's almost like the best-kept Southern secret. In any event, people end up thinking you're either at William and Mary or at Washington University in St. Louis. Or, my favorite, William and Lee University.

Anyone who does not join a fraternity or sorority will be shunned from the social scene. Everyone at W&L is from the South. No one from different social circles interacts. You pretty much stick to your sorority/fraternity. Everyone is wealthy. Students are overwhelmingly conservative.

Going to Washington and Lee is almost like going to two universities. There's the academic one, where the students are savvy and well-read, intelligent and engaged. The girls are in their madras skirts and rainbow sandals, the boys in their pastel polos and khakis. The one where no one cheats on tests even if they are unmonitored, and everyone talks about how much work they have to do and how they'll be spending yet another night in the library. And then there's the nightlife one, where the girls dress like prostitutes and the boys spend all night on the dance floor grinding against any girl within 6 inches. Everyone is blackout drunk, some are high on coke or rolling on x, and the entire goal is to go home with that lacrosse player you've been eye-ing in chem and have meaningless sex and then take your "walk of shame" home to your dorm or srat house in the early hours of the morning. The dichotomy between the two school is absolutely surreal. You find yourself wondering how it is humanly possible for that girl in your English class who the professor always uses as an example of how to write a A paper is the same girl in the corner of an off-campus fraternity house drenched in beer and sweat, making out with a guy who, 2 seconds ago, was grinding on her friend.

Absolutely. Binge drinking and drugs dominate the fiercely structured social scene, and your worth as a person is determined by the Greek letters you wear.

The academics at Washington and Lee are absoultely top-notch. The professors are prepared, engaging, and genuinly interested in forming a relationship with students. The faculty is accessible, welcoming, and always willing to go the extra mile for you. The English Department is exceptional. The classes are very demanding and the grading is harsh to say the least, but you do become a better writer than you ever thought possible. And if you're willing to sell your soul to Leyburn Library, the English department at W&L will give you the kind of liberal arts education most schools can only dream to.

The most popular groups are the sororities and fraternities. Students leave everything open and unlocked. The honor system stays true to its word on this: students do not lie, do not cheat, and do not steal. But don't for a moment think that any of this honor code applies to the raging parties on the weekends. People go out on average 3-5 nights a week. And they go out hard. If you're awake at 2am on a tuesday, you are drunk eating your Domino's pizza, possibly wondering how drinking all those gin buckets at KA earlier will affect your history quiz tomorrow at 11. If you want to do something on a Saturday night that doesn't involve drinking, it won't involve other people.

Everyone is 3 things: white, rich, and Southern. You work hard, and you play harder. Your entire four years at Washington and Lee come down to one week: Rush week. Your social circle depends entirely on which sorority or fraternity you join.

Sean

I dislike the administration - they're quite duplicitous and use the honor system manipulatively. I like the professors - I believe them to, in general, be well qualified, intelligent, wonderful-teachers. I enjoy the social scene - there are a ton of frat parties, but they can get old as the school is small. The registrar's office is a pain. Lexington is beautiful and Rockbridge county is great, overall I think the school is awesome both academically and socially, but the administration is hurting the social scene with frat crackdowns and extra rules in general.

The first three are. Southern is sometimes.

Wealthy, intelligent, white, southern.

Meredith

Because 40% of the students are accepted early decision, there is a common pride in W&L that anyone who visits can feel. Because it's small, it creates the opprotunity for everyone to connect and truely feel a part of the community; infact the small size makes the school feel BIGGER because everyone does know eachother and can get along with a wide variety of people. Continuing with the idea of school pride, outside of W&L the connection is even stronger. For example, last summer I saw an alumni (who I didn't know) wearing a W&L visor and I went up to talk to him and we had an instant bond. If I'm wearing W&L gear outside of school I will--without fail--have someone stop me and have a conversation about W&L and compare our experiences. That also is a testement to our Speaking Tradition, which says that all students should say Hi to everyone in passing... In or out of school. Basically, being a student at W&L is like being in a secret club. There are little secrets and understandings. Everyone feels proud and honored to be a part of the club and once you're in, you're in for life.

I hate to say it, but a low socio-econmic, racially diverse liberal would probably have a tough time here.

Definitely more "white and loaded" than the average school, but there's definitely still socioeconomic diversity

After going to a small and academically challanging highschool, I was looking forward to, well, slacking off in college. The rumor was that the hardest part of college was getting in. I was SHOCKED then to find myself right back in the small and challenging class atmosphere of highschool. Professors know the students and know what they are capable of, and they absolutely hold their students to that standard. There is no grade inflation. The first meeting we had as a freshman class, the dean addressed the class and said, "90% of you were the top 10% of your class. Now only 10% of you will be". A seemingly obvious statement, but for the type A over achievers that flock to W&L, it was a bit of a shock to see that come into realization. BUT while professors are very demanding and classes are tough, they are incredibely interesteing classes. Some classes are hard to get into, but if they are neccessary for a major or graduation professors will always let you in. Often students can get into "full" classes (and by full, i mean about 25 students) by e-mailing the professor and showing legit interest in the subject. Also, even though students tend to by Type A, there is no competition with fellow students for "class rank" or elite academic standing. The pressure is entirely internal. As far as the student/professor relationship goes, I can say with confidence that all of my professors know my name and they--consistent with speaking tradition--will always stop to talk outside of class. They're available for help at ALL hours (I actually called a professor at 3 in the morning for help on a group project and she helped no questions asked).

Doors are open at all times, all the parties are open, the beer is free and the dancing is fun. There is always an opprotunity to be social, but because it's an academic oriented school, nobody will question you if you stay in the library on a saturday night either. I've gone out Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and then stayed in on Saturday... that's not typical but it's totally acceptable. 90% of students stay on campus EVERY weekend. More people come to visit us than we go to visit them.

W&L stands for "white and loaded"

Torry

The small student body is great. You always know someone everywhere you go, yet there are plenty of people you do not know at all. Lexington is not much of a city, but there are some fun places to eat, and no one goes out to bars because of the Greek life so that's not really an issue.

pretty much so. obviously there are people from the north and who aren't as wealthy, but the Greek scene does dominate the social scene and there is plenty of alcohol available at parties, but students also work hard in general. GPAs are high.

Professors definitely learn your name probably by the second week of classes. They are always available for help, which is really great.

white, southern, rich, Greek, big drinkers, big partiers, study hard

The small campus makes it easy to make friends fast, and knowing everyone creates a feeling of unity and trust. The Honor System really helps create trust-- people leave their rooms unlocked, books and laptops are left in the open, and tests are all unproctored. The town of Lexington itself is pretty boring, but we make our own fun. The greek system is huge, but it's getting easier every year to be an independent and still have a social life. There is a ton of drinking here; parties happen almost every night of the week.

The school is not very racially diverse. The administration is trying to work on that, but there is still a ways to go. People tend to get fairly dressed up for class-- sweatpants and pajamas are frowned upon except during finals week.

Only to a certain extent. The stereotypes give the school a definite character, but not everyone is like that-- far from it. You can find all sorts of people, but a lot of the clothing does tend to be similar.

I love how small the classes are. My first term here, my largest class was 18 people! Compared to the 500-person lectures my friends in other schools are taking, that's incredible. The professors take the time to get to know everyone's name, and they are always available to help you out or just to talk. Many teachers even give out their home/cell phone numbers on the first day of class. There is definitely no grade inflation here, the classes are hard and the professors aren't afraid to give poor marks.

Rich, preppy, southern, conservative

Matthew

The best thing about W&L is the atmosphere. It's a small community with a clear identity.

Most students dress well and have a core group of friends, usually within their own fraternity or sorority, with which they interact. Most W&L students are from the South or, surprisingly, New Jersey. I am very happy with the W&L student body. I wanted a certain experience when I went to college and W&L is exactly what I wanted.

To some extent, yes. But I like W&L as it is.

Professors here are excellent. They remember me long after I've taken a course with them. They are always willing to take extra time to help me if I need it. Courses are challenging, but not unreasonably so. The German Department in particular is fantastic. It's small, which I like. Everybody in the department knows everyone else. Professors and students are more equal than anything else.

Because Lexington doesn't have very much to offer college students, fraternity parties and greek life are a very large part of our social scene. People feel very safe here. Doors are left unlocked, valuable possessions are left unattended, and people can walk alone at night.

Rich, white, snobbish, conservative

Torry

The best thing about Washington and Lee is the ability to have all of the desirable aspects of a school in one place. I don't think there is any other university that has a strong sense of community, accommodating and intelligent professors, kind staff, smart and driven students, and an incredible social scene. I would change the general education requirements because a lot of the time they are classes which are neither enjoyable nor useful. I love how small this school is and that I know almost everyone in my grade and the majority in others as well. When I tell people that I go to W and L, they either don't know where it is or confuse it with another school, or they are floored and impressed and often times have some sort of connection to the school. I spend most of time on campus either on "the hill" (main campus) or in the sorority house. We do not have a college town in that there isn't the typical bar scene, but there are plenty of places to go out, usually fraternity houses or off campus houses. I love the administration here, they couldn't be better. The biggest recent controversy on campus was when a girl in one of the sororities made a list of people from her own sorority and wrote what level of sexual activity each was willing to participate in, which was then forwarded to most every fraternity. A lot of girls were hurt, and she ended up leaving. I will always remember all of the theme parties/mixers where people get really creative with costumes. I think the most frequent student complaint would be that there is NO grade inflation and the classes are incredibly difficult.

Most people at W and L, from my experience, are white, conservative, and christian, however they are plenty of organized groups and clubs with people of all races and religious/socio-economic backgrounds. I think that because of Washington and Lee's history with the confederacy that some black students may not feel comfortable here. Someone that is incredibly liberal politically may feel out of place. Also, people that do not live comfortable financially may feel out of place. Boys typically wear khaki shorts and a polo or athletic gear, and girls typically wear skirts and jeans with tops or athletic gear. If there were four tables in the lunch room there would be the outwardly southern boys and girls, one for people from other geographic regions in the US, a table for those from foreign countries and or of a different race other than white, and one of those that were uninterested in greek life. I also think that because of the incredibly conservative nature of this school, homosexuals may feel extremely out of place. Most Washington and Lee students are from very nice suburban areas, on a larger scale, there are a lot of students from Texas, Alabama, Virginia, New Jersey, and Maryland. The vast majority of students at W and L come from an upper-middle class financial background. Students are politically aware and active, especially because we hold mock convention. The majority of students are republicans. Students do not talk about how much they will most likely earn, but it seems to be understood that because we graduate from Washington and Lee, we have paved the way for a high salary in the future.

Some of them are, but not necessarily to the extreme. Many people here are white, wealthy, athletic, and involved in greek life. Not everyone drinks, is preppy, or is greek affiliated.

Professors not only know your name, but most likely where you are from, what you are planning to major in, and what year you are. My favorite class was either Art in Business of Puzzles and Critical Thought. One was a marketing course which looked at strategy in detail, while the other involved problem solving which was then applied to every day business decisions. Students will often have intellectual discussions regarding classes, especially when they have an opinionated professor and disagree with his/her opinion. The most unique class I have take and W and L would have to be Puzzles and Critical Thought. Students are competitive, but I think most are competing with the system, not one another. The system being what percentage of the class you have to be in to graduate with honors, etc. I have spent time with professors outside of class. I think that some of the general education classes are unnecessary. If a student is not interested in a class it makes it harder to want to do well in my opinion, and if they aren't going to use it later, then why waste time when it could be spent either raising your major GPA, or allot you time to double major. The education at Washington and Lee provides students with a well-rounded perspective and an insight into all areas of study. Washington and Lee is one of the strongest networking schools in that everyone has the same passion for the school and most W and L graduates will look out for others in the job market. Also, W and L is incredibly helpful in helping students find internships that can aid them in finding a job later. Professors are also an incredible resource for future employment. Many students will also go to graduate school from W and L.

The most popular organizations are fraternities/sororities, fancy dress committee, and cathekon. I am in Kappa Delta and absolutely love it. It is incredibly rewarding and being on council is a great experience. Students leave their dorm doors open, as well as unlocked all the time. Our honor code is second to none and people simply do not lie, cheat, or steal here, and if they do, they are kicked out. Athletic events are not very big here, but everyone goes to the football games, at least for the first half. W and L always has noteworthy guest speakers come and lecture, which is great. Theater is not very popular. The dating scene at W and L is that you are either not in the scene, or you are hooking up with someone but things are not official, or you are in an incredibly serious relationship. I met my closest friends on the pre-orientation trip before my freshman year and from joining my sorority. If I am awake at 2am on a Tuesday, probably working, on a Monday, Wednesday, or Thursday, I am probably out. Each year we have different greek affiliated events that happen annually, such as derby days. People usually go out an average of three to four times per week. Fraternities and sororities are responsible for the social scene at W and L. An astounding percentage of students are greek affiliated. Last weekend was the end of spring break, so I was traveling home, but on a typical weekend go out Friday and Saturday. If you want to do something on Saturday night that doesn't involve drinking, you can either go out sober, go to a movie, or go to UVA and have dinner there since they are located in a larger, more populated area with more choices. Off-campus is the country, where everyone lives their Junior and Senior year. When the weather is nice, students tube down the Maury river and go to Panther Falls and jump off of the cliffs/falls there and lay out in the sun.

White, wealthy, athletic, thin(girls) or built (guys), pretty/handsome, preppy, fraternity/sorority, southern, lots of drinking

Washington and Lee University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.