Washington and Lee University

« See more reviews of Washington and Lee University

The school is definitely small, and that has its pros as well as its cons. You choose to be as involved as you like, but it is almost impossible to stay out of the social bubble. Although the students tend to dress similar, by no means are they close-minded: classes are typically discussion-oriented, and no student holds back his personal opinions. The professors are just as diverse in their own opinions as the students, but they allow the class to be non-judgemental and are open for new ideas. There are just as many liberals as conservatives, and rarely will you find someone sticking to just one idea--students range all across the political spectrum.

Not at all. While we are not as diverse of a school as some in terms of skin color, I think diversity means a whole lot more than that. We have kids from not only all over the country, but also from all over the world. Everyone here has their own story, thier own background. I've been exposed to so many different types of people and have had no problems with anyone. Everyone is extremely friendly, eagar to go out of their way to help you and very considerate as well.

Some of these stereotypes were once acurate, but as the times are a-changin', we are starting to see a lot of these stereotypes phase out and a much different face of Washington and Lee emerging.

We are rich and smart, mostly, but we are not really snobby. I've found that at private schools and colleges people are generally more secure with their wealth, so they don't flaunt it.

To a certain extent yes, however, the number of northern students is growing rapidly, and I would say that the campus is about 50/50 republicans to democrats

About 80 percent of the population fits this "stereotype." 20 percent are chill people with a diversity of thought and backgrounds.

No, W&L does a great job of attracting students from all different backgrounds, parts of the country, and from around the world.

I believe the stereotypes about W&L students apply to mostly everyone, although there are the people who don't follow the norm.

To a degree. There's a pastel section of campus, but for a small school there's also a startling diversity of opinon.

No, students definitely come from all walks of life and have opposing views, which they are not afraid to express.