Washington and Lee University

« See more reviews of Washington and Lee University

What is the stereotype of students at your school?

Washington and Lee University is predominantly Greek. If you don't want to join a frat or a srat, go somewhere else. No matter what anyone tells you about Greek life, it is very hierarchical. If you can't handle being at the bottom (after making stupid mistakes during informal recruitment in the Fall), then go home and don't rush and complain about it later. Washington and Lee University is predominantly composed of WASPs. If you have morals, values, and are looking for a religious community, you should probably look elsewhere. There are a few strong religious groups; however, the God-squad are great people, but they have a really rough time at W&L. W&L students are mostly alcoholics. Most students drink (heavily- to the point of blackout) over 2 times a week. Expect to go out Monday, Wednesday, Friday, and Saturday. If there is a Phi Delt party on Tuesday or Thursday, you must go out then too. The more you drink and go out without vomming or getting sexually assaulted, the more awesome you are. The more awesome you are, the higher the probability that you will get into a great frat or srat. W&L has great open parties. This is one of the good points about the school, if you like free alcohol and going out. W&L is exceedingly small and everyone knows your sexual history and business. If you can't handle the goss, go somewhere else. Greek life encourages this atmosphere, so if you hate goss and don't want your life to be talked about perezhilton style, go to a bigger school. A good number of people at W&L smoke pot. A select group of people at W&L blow coke. There are secret drinking/drug societies. These societies are very elite. If you don't like this behavior, go somewhere else. It will be around you constantly especially at the top frats and srats. The sexual assault rate is higher at W&L than at any other school. Female co-eds are not safe. The exceedingly high rate of alcohol abuse and drug abuse amplifies this reality for women. This problem has from time to time affected male co-eds as well (yes, men can be assaulted by women or men, just as women can). While you would like to think that the Honor Code is real at W&L, it is only real for some people. Other people will lie, cheat, steal, and act ungentlemanly at their leisure. I was stalked and physically assaulted twice by a female at this school. A lot of people lied in order to protect this person and keep her in the school, even though she is obviously psychologically imbalanced. W&L cannot protect its students from psychologically imbalanced students. I had to get a Protective Order from Rockbridge County and file two counts of physical assault and one count of stalking from the County in order to be safe. Also, my car was vandalized by a student. The administration is very uptight and if you enjoy your freedom of speech, you should go somewhere else. This school is very uptight and rigid. The only place you can speak your mind is either the class room (where you can speak your mind about intellectual concepts) or in private at a frat house. You will be judged on your sexual behavior. Get ready. If you can survive this place, you can survive anywhere and get anywhere in life. Welcome to the jungle.

Some stereotypes that exist about Washington and Lee and Washington and Lee students are that they are all white, rich, and southern. That stereotype is false because I am not white, rich, or southern, and many of my friends aren't either. Another stereotype is that the students here are all monolithic and think the same way, which is farthest from the truth. You are going to meet people at Washington and Lee with very diverse ways of looking at the world, which is absolutely fascinating and ultimately, a great way to gain a better understanding of what people in the world are like. Lastly, another major stereotype of Washington and Lee is that everyone here has got to be apart of the Greek System, whether is it is through Historically black greek or Majority greek. I think that this way of thinking is dying out and the school is starting to see a lot more students opting out of going greek.

Washington and Lee is sometimes sterotyped as a rich, white kids school. Also, there are a lot of kids here from New Jersey, Baltimore, DC etc that play lacrosse and so its sometimes considered a "bro" school. There are also lots of southerners here, mainly Alabama.

There are stereotypes that we are rich, smart, really driven academically, and preppy. Each fraternity or sorority have their own stereotypes also. Mostly everyone here is a type A personality; everyone does everything to an extreme at W&L.

Generally, Washington and Lee students can be stereotyped as well-spoken, well-dressed young men and women who take special care in their academic endeavors as well as in their social lives.

upper-middle to upper class white student body, preppy/ outdoorsy hybrids, fiscally and politically conservative, somewhat snobbish, all student drink excessively

It is a close-knit community with a relatively uniform student body. Some classify us as close-minded and highly conservative.

They're rich, white, priviledged kids who only care about drinking, making money and moving back to their gated communities.

Some stereotypes about Washington and Lee students are that they are conservative, and that they are very southern.

We are spoiled, rich, and Southern. W&L students are also thought to be close-minded and republican.