Washington and Lee University Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Washington and Lee University

Sally

The school is great. Academics are amazing. Yes, most of the funding seems to go to the business school but the school does care about the other programs. The science center is home to high tec and up-to-date equipment. You only go to football games for a half, but you see almost all of the school out on WFS nights.

Maya

Choosing a university is a complex and difficult process, but I truly think this is the best choice I could have made. On my campus, I feel safe, included, and have already met some of the most ambitious and intelligence people I have ever encountered. There are a plethora of opinions, and intellectual conversation is a staple of both the classroom and the dining hall. We are a politically active and outspoken campus. We need to work (a lot) on diversity, but there are outlets for minority students, such as my place in the Latino Student Organization. Overall, this campus has become a true second home to me.

Riley

It was not until about halfway through my junior year that I even knew Washington and Lee existed. When I did learn about it, however, I was immediately attracted to the school. I was fascinated by the rich history of the university and by the awe inspiring views of the picturesque mountain setting. I was also impressed by the enduring honor code system which is instituted at the university. To further immerse myself in the school, I followed W&L on multiple social media outlets, such as Instagram and Snap-chat. With all these attractions in mind, the final ideal situation which pushed me towards making the decision to apply to W&L, was the ability to compete in the varsity sport of wrestling. In April I met Coach Shearer and he invited me onto campus for a visit. I was delighted to see that everything I had read online was true, but I was also substantially impressed by the wrestling program that he was building. He has been able to round up a group of guys who are not only good wrestlers, but truly great people with outstanding character. There is nothing that would make my college experience more enjoyable then to be a student at a prestigious university such as W&L and to be able to compete in the sport I love with a group of individuals who have the same goals as I do.

Matthew

Some say that they have walked onto a college campus and instantly knew that this was the college for them, but with W&L, everyone knows. This university is amazing. Why? Because everyone pitches in to make it amazing. The Honor System and Speaking Tradition are not just advertisements that mean nothing. They are actually used and followed by student and professor alike. There is respect from one person to another, and every person loves it as much as the next.

Demoriya

The campus is beautiful and the first-year and junior housing were recently renovated, so they are very nice facilities. It's a small university so everyone knows each other and the class sizes are small. There are plenty of kind, engaging professors, but the bad professors are really bad. The social scene is a bit odd. The majority of the students are white and wealthy, and almost everyone is in a sorority or fraternity. Overall, if you can thrive in the social scene it's a good college with a lot of opportunities during and after your undergraduate experience.

Hunter

It is a great university with a lot of opportunities for students to get involved. The campus is beautiful, the people are very friendly, and the academics are very strong. The class size is small, encouraging a lot of collaboration and participation by all students. A top choice for my future college career!

Bubba

White privilege. The 1% trying to become the .1% Many smart students. There is a town /gown rift. I dare you to find a Democrat there. Smart faculty who didn't want to do "real research." They will never change their name or remove Robert E. Lee statues.

Ole Doc

I’m a member of the notorious Class of 1988, the last all-male class admitted to W&L. Having reviewed many of the current students’ comments, I’m happy to see that things haven’t changed! And things don’t need to change at W&L. It’s a wonderful place!