Washington State University Top Questions

Linh

How much money and time is spent on the athletic program that could be used for other programs.

Adalya

I attend Washington State University in Pullman, WA. I transferred from Fort Worth, Texas via Tarrant County Junior College. The worst thing about this school is how unprofessional and uninformed the staff are. Miscommunication, lack of knowledge on the staff's part, partial answers, and inefficiency all plague this school. When I was first accepted to this school back in February/March of 2015, I immediately called registration and student transfers to see what qualifications I needed to meet to obtain in-state tuition. I asked the representative on the phone if meeting Washington State's minimum standards of citizenship would qualify me for in-state tuition. The rep (a young woman) did not fully understand my question apparently as she told me yes it would. I relocated to Washington state thinking I was going to qualify for in-state tuition (after getting my vote's registration, establishing my new residence at the post office, and finally changing my car's plates and DL). Once I was there, the registration told me I had to be here a minimum of a year before any of that meant anything. In a panic, I tried to find help to figure out my situation; I did not qualify for private loans nor could I take anymore out, and I was unable to obtain any scholarships. The Student Affairs rep I talked to told me to quit and move back to Texas. She said I obviously couldn't afford school, and aside from attending a junior college in the area, there was nothing that could be done. In other words, she said I should quit. When I contacted the head of registration (specifically the person who handles student in-state residency issues), the woman told me it was my fault for not going online to look at the requirements. I called a total of three times into the dept. that handles in-state residency before relocating, spoke to 2 different people, and not once did anyone mention to me a website that I needed to go to. Furthermore, I called in to talk to a person whom I assumed would be qualified in their job and could give me the information I needed; why would I need to go online if I am given the information via phone? This makes it seem like the staff is not qualified for their job or given the information they need to do said job. Of course the woman I talked to who gave me the wrong info is no longer there, and I have even been accused of lying by some staff members. I have spent 2-3 months trying to sort things out, and still I'm not out of the fire. I have severely mis-budgeted due to faulty info, and now I am struggling just to attend part-time. It does not help that I am a first generation college student that comes from a relatively poor family. For new students entering any university or school, ask multiple people the same question, double and triple check, and always prepare for the worst.

Timothy

As a branch campus my school is very small. This means that most every class is only taught in one section, one semester a year. This makes scheduling class around work and other activites very difficult. Once a student gets intoi their major classes their scedule is not very flexible and the students must be able to work with what is availible. This can often cause a student to fall behind and force them to take an extra year or two to complete a degree.

Imani

The worst thing about WSU is the location. It is in a very rural town that is far away from any big cities. Therefore, you can feel very isolated at times. There is not as much to do in Pullman as there would be in a larger city with more people such as Seattle or Spokane.

Sierra

My school is on the Vancouver campus of WSU. Many students and major universities look down on my school because it is not the "mother school". They say this as if it makes college more simple and not as fullfilling. My school is as equally challenging and important as other four year universities. I am still earning a bachelore's that is as meaning ful as if I went Pullman. I decided to stay in Vancouver to earn my degree because as a single mother, it would be more diffucult to move six hours away and find new housing.

Chris

I really dislike all of the partying on Greek row with their drinking and yelling at other sport teams. I know all colleges have this, but why can't everyone have friendly rivalries?

Will

I consider the dorms to be the worst thing about Washington State University. They aren't horrible to live in, but not roomy or extraordinarily pleasant to stay in. Then again, they are college dorm rooms, not hotel rooms, so in retrospect to all dorms they aren't awful.

Erika

The only bad thing my school has is that we do not have a recreational center because our campus is small, WSU Tri-Cities. Our campus is great and a wonderful place to be at. It is a small campus but it helps make it personal and comfortable for all students enrolled and thinking about enrolling.

Tanner

How slow the school is to process Financial Aid applications. I've gotten my student loans late for two semesters in a row so far this first year, which has caused me to miss out on getting some early deals on materials and books for students, since I rely on financial aid.

Heather

The financial aid system and financial advising. Not only are the advisors confused about anything other than loans, but specific financial situations such as the Post 911/GI Bill students or homeless students for example, have very limited professional resources for advice and financial aid is very late in distribution when given to our school.

janna

It is hard to think of the worst thing about WSU because i simply love it here. it is a great community; however, most would agree that there i not much to do in the area.

griselda

what i consider to be the worst thing about my school is that it does not offer any time to socialize with friedns and classes are to far apart frokm each other .

A'Leesia

The hills on my campus are exhaisting and everything is so spread apart, from the recreational center, to the dorm rooms.

The worst thing is if one is not interested in partying every weekend, it takes some effort to find something to do in the small town. But once you have established friends and a routine, this problem should dissapear.

JEFFREY

If you are a football fanatic at all, this isn't your school. We have Mike Leach now, so there is hope.

Taylor

The hills, I haven't experienced walking to class in the snow yet, but I will probably slip alot because of the hills.

Alexis

People being ambivalent towards littering and being polite to others

Aaron

To me the biggest frustration about my school is the advising system. Every semester you are mandated to meet with your specific councelor, who never has an appointment open, and figure out what courses you need to take to graduate with a specific degree. The problem lies in the fact that many times you are told to take the wrong courses and end up sitting through needless hours of a class that actually did nothing to advance your progress in the desired degree.

Karen

I never had any problems attending Washington State University. I found the campus and the intructors to very supportive and accomidating to me and the rest of my cohort at the university. I felt the workloads were heavy, however, fair for my degree.

Hieu

There is not much cohesion or student activities on the WSU campus in Spokane. This leads to a sense of isolation and may impact the student's ability to interact with one another.

Ayla

The "worst" thing about my school would be the decisions made by the athletic department that affect our students. Washington State University is known for both football and basketball, but as of late has not been performing up to par. Major changes in athletic directors and the hiring and firing of coaches has affected the training of the football team. As a result, the team has shown slow improvement. Twice this year, basketball players have been busted for drug usage, but they have still been allowed to play. Zero-tolerance should be the university's athletic drug policy.

Heidi

I went to WSU-Vancouver. I think the worst part was the location. When I went there the buses didn't run as easily so it was harder for commuting students to attend.

melissa

The Pullman campus was freezing in the winter! Even if you have a car you won't use it in the winter because the campu sits up on a hilltop and the roads are undriveable.

christina

Not having on campus housing.

Christina

The lack of motivation and ambition from the majority of students can be frustrating, especially as they are the ones who tend to be the most vocal about their parties and the poor choices made associated with the amount they drank. There exists a large pressure to "party" at this school or be excluded.

Lindsay

Honestly, when I try to think of the "worst thing" I just think of completely negative aspects. There really isn't much to be negative about out here on the Palouse. However, trying to get home on weekends, even if you're from Washington, can be rough. I live 6 hours away and over a mountain pass which is very unpredictable in the winter and it can be rough trying to visit home.

Kristina

The worst thing about Washington State University is probably that the class sizes are extremely big. For the basic classes, a person can have a class of up to 500 students in it. Usually the classes a person is taking for their major are a lot smaller. Also, there is a lot of partying at Washington State. It does not affect every student though because it depends who a person decides to surround themselves with.

Megan

-The continued increase in tuition seems almost endless. Since I first began the tuition will increase 28{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} by the time I start the Fall 2010 Semester. It is very difficult already to find means to pay for school and these increases are in no means helpfully, especially when other sources of aid are dwindling. Grants alone are decreasing in funding by 40{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} and 30{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} fewer applicants will be supported. This truly scares me. -Another smaller downside is the lack of activities during the weekend that do not involve alcohol. (Not much to do.)

Deven

The reputation of WSU is not the greatest. As an "A" student I find it difficult attending a "B-C" average university. Although there are great teachers and programs offered here, they are often overlooked becuase of the news reports and wild rumors.

The worst thing about Washington state is the lack of counter-culture. Most of the kids here just participate in Fraturnitys or sororitys and party all the time for fun. There is not a hole lot to do here if you are not in a frat or sorority.

Lenny

The worst thing about WSU is the cost of tuition and books. I realize that most 4-year universities have a high tuition and cost of books but being in state i think it's a bit ridiculous, and hard to manage.

Daniel

The worst part of the school is its built on rolling hills. You actually have to go a walk mile up two hills in the snow, when there is snow, to one class. But then your next might be on the other side of campus so the process starts over. I personally have had shin splints sereval times going to my classes.

Tara

This school truly has no flaws in my eyes. The "worst" part of it is not being able to know each and every single person who creates such a great community vibe. If I had the ability to know even ten percent of the staff and students at this university, it would feel more like home. Why? Because I graduated from a small school, all grades on one campus, with a class size of less than forty students. I love knowing everyone and would love to know every single person who is here, making an impact on the world.

Michelle

The worst thing about Washington State University is that there are many large classes. This is the worst thing about the school because the introduction classes with too many students do not dig deep into what the class is about. With fewer students in classes there can be more in depth discussions and the professor can help students go beyond knowledge gained in class. In larger classes exams are just multiple choice, while small class exams can expand and students are more challenged on what they learn. This is why the worst thing about the school is large classes.

Angel--Lynn

The parking and buildings are so far apart that in the winter it is cold walking from your car and from class to class.

Kajsa

The school's greatest drawback is its location. The school is in a rural location that is very conservative and doesnt offer alot of options when it comes to activities. There is no hiking, few outdoor activities or parks available in summer or winter, and few cultural experiences like indie film, ethnic food, or theater. The closest cities are atleast 45 minutes awat, and all roads leading to the university are narrow, winding and can shut down during the winter from snow.

Lisa

nothing to do.

Megan

I would have to say that the worst thing about my school is their uncanny ability to avoid scoring a touchdown in their football games. Their football team's only consistency is in their ability to lose by 25 odd points every game. Some would say the isolation is the worst thing but the students at my campus know how to make the isolation work for them.

Paula

The worste thing about WSU is that they don't send out billings for tuition it must be looked at online. This is sufficient in saving paper but a reminder e-mail would be nice.

Crystelle

The worst thing about Washington State University is the hills! While the academic program here is great, the hills can be SUCH a burden! But don't worry, I know that what drives me to walk up those hills to class everyday is the prospect of where this education will get me. A great career and a great life! I know I would walk up a THOUSAND hills to reach my goals. I would climb mountains. So aren't these little hills here at WSU worth it?

Rick

The location and the weather. The faculty and the school itself is great, the only things that suck is Pullman (the city its in) and the weather. Pullman is very small itself, and the closest sizable city is Spokane at about an hour away. The weather is august when you arrive is extremely hot, often in triple digits, then one day in november you wake up and it is sub-zero.

Jamie

It is in the middle of no where. Other than it being so far from home, the school is perfect!

Allison

Women are pretty degraded on campus, but they allow it and possibly even encourage it. On weekends they dress in as little clothes as possible, maintaining only minimum required GPA's. They aren't taken seriously by men on campus. They aren't very active in fields like engineering, medical.

Valerie

I consider our website the worst thing about my school. WSU has so many programs and other events going on all the time but it's impossible to find anything on their website. I work for the community service office at the school and we always have people calling trying to figure out where they could possibly volunter. Or where they go to sign up for classes. Or where one of the offices is located on campus.

Haley

If I had to choose one negative thing about WSU it would be the lack of ethnic diversity. While we have a fairly large population of minority students it is far smaller than the caucasian population. I have always valued diversity so I was a bit disappointed when I saw that the campus wasn't very diverse. WSU does, however, put on several multicultural festivals and events that encourage students of all races to come together and celebrate diversity.

Heather

I would say that at my school, there aren't as many activities as I would have hoped for. We were supposed to have intrumural sports, for example, and that never happened. I sometimes don't feel as connected with everyone else because of this lack of activities.

Clifford

There really isn't any one particular point I can elaborate on for "worst" thing about Washington State University. It is difficult to get around campus and to sporting events off campus unless you have a car or a friend with a car. Pullman is strictly a small college town with not much enterprise in the back yard. It is also difficult to fly in and out of school as my family moved from California to Pennsylvania. It is very expensive and a very long trip.

Cory

That it is in the middle of nowhwere and the greek system is so big and important there.

Ash

the amount of money i am forced to pay as an american citizen to get an education. I think it is scandal that i have a right to an education but the state cant pay for it. over 50,000$ i paid and i will never see it come back.

Natalie

The worst thing about my school, is that we tend to have so much school spirit that when we encounter a loss we take it hard. No one loves their school more than the Washington State Cougars. Rain or shine you will see hundreds of students and alumni fill the football and basketball stadiums. The population of Pullman doubles every game weekend. No matter how bad a season, the Cougars keep their faith and hope for a better game next time. The worst thing about my school; the never ending school pride, regardless of how much it may hurt us.