Washington State University Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Washington State University

Heidi

Washington State University is a large university located in the small rural town of Pullman, WA. Enjoy the views of the Palouse as the sunset touches the rolling hills. The University is one big community. Everyone gathers for Cougar Football Saturdays and no matter where you go, a "Go Cougs!" is common. The academics are so-so, but the social life is everything here.

When I visited, I loved the culture. You can tell the university has tight community ties. The student housing is a little cramped if you are looking for something more economical. The campus facilities are mostly new, however, there are some older buildings that need updating. They have plentiful lab space for research and class. There are plenty of university convenience stores in the area. Downtown Pullman is very lively and pretty.

Raigan

I really like the campus, it is beautiful, the only downside is that it is on a hill. I have had great professors, there are just some that seem to not care. The financial aid office can sometimes seem like they don't care about you, especially after they have your money.

Selina

Wasn't my first choice in schools but have grown to love and appreciate my school.

Katelyn

Washington State University is a great place to attend college. The academic resources are great, as well as the outside activities. There is a big party scene here but if you don't like to party then it does'not really effect you. The town of Pullman is very small and there isn't much to do, but Spokane is relatively close by. I love Wazzu and am very proud to be a part of the community. Go Cougs!

Cacie

This university is absolutely stigma shattering. I first toured this campus as a senior in high school and had the idea in my head that all people did here was drink and party on the weekend. Which isn’t false in the least bit, it has proven to be so much more than its reputation. I decided to go here after getting accepted to their honors college because it’s a one-way ticket to the vet school on campus. Little did I know that this place has so much more to offer than that They are one of the best research universities in the nation while also having a successful sports team achievements. Many universities don’t get to take ownership of both of having success in the academic and intellectual aspects. It’s a privilege and an honor to be called a Coug yet many others don’t get to see both sides of the coin when they first take their judgments. This university has much more to offer students than what is seen from the outside. By taking a deeper look we see that the student body is extremely interconnected and we take care of each other. Being a part of Washington State means that you have a connection with everyone else who has been a part of this university. Once a Coug always a Coug. It didn’t take long to call this place my home.

I love College here! I was bounded to Washington state because of scholarships but I love this campus and the people here are normally very nice. I do not see or have experienced any bullying and it's easy to find friends if you go out and find them. there is always something going on around campus and they do a good job of having activities to do and to keep busy. I always have something to do, like school work sleep social life etc.

Jenna

Washington State University is a very diverse campus as the incoming classes can come from around the world or the United States. Though this school has a reputation of being a party school, there are ways to avoid that scene rather easily. As far as academics go, there are a few hiccups in the freshman classes as the passing rate is not very high. Overall, Washington state University is a great for those who want to have fun and get into research easily.

Trysta

My overall opinion of WSU is that it is the place to go if you are looking to have the time of your life that we all expect college to be. The classes are interesting with engaging professors and there is always something to do on campus. The amazing energy that flows through the entire campus truly makes its students feel at home. Once a Coug, always a Coug. Go Cougs!

Vanessa

Washington State University is such an amazing school to attend. This school has given me an awesome experience my first year there and the environment there makes you feel really safe. The students there are very nice and friendly, also the staff there are really helpful. Overall, WSU is a great school.

Kaitlyn

Overall, this university has provided me with a great experience and adventure. I feel safe and welcomed here by the student and faculty. The class sizes are great and the campus is beautiful. I feel supported by everyone and if I have any questions their more than happy to help.

Heather

I am a fairly new student to Washington State University, and mostly only taking online courses through the Global campus. With that said, The enrollement process has been great! The staff has been extremely helpful and responsive. The online platform looks easy to follow to!

George

I love it! I'm a die hard Coug. I gave it a 4 out 0f 5 star rating because it's almost perfect but nothing is truly perfect. But there are so many great resources and opportunities to get involved in this safe and welcoming campus. Ever since my very first visit i felt ike the staff here really wanted to help us students succeed which i feel is what maters most because if you have a strong support system at your university there is nothing that you will not have the ability to do. Go Cougs!

Haylee

I've lived in Pullman my whole life so when I found out that I would be going to WSU I was very disappointed. After completing my first year, I soon noticed that I was wrong. I loved it here. The college life is very different from being in highschool. Everyone you meet is willing to help you and are super nice. The dorms are also great for your first year. You meet a lot of people and you can join clubs if you are worried about having nothing to do.

Josie

Washington State University. WAZZU. Pullman. All of these words are now synonyms for home. I came to a place where "Cougs help Cougs" is not just a tag line that they tell potential students. Here we really do care about each other. I cannot go to campus without taking a moment and appreciate where I landed.

Washington State University is a community like no other. Whether is is coming together for the big game or to show support during tragic times cougs are there for cougs. Before coming to WSU I was concerned about finding a community in which I felt like I belonged, a community similar to that of my home town. While the cougar community is vast, there is a bond connecting each and every person. While people joke about being in the middle of a wheat field, Pullman is an ideal location for those who are looking for a large community in a rural like area. There may not be a ton to do all the time, but there are beautiful hikes, some small business shops and Spokane only an hour or so away for times when you truly want to shop. The pride at WSU is unreal, game days are huge and the games intense. Academics are vital as it is a research institution, I have found most professors to be not only passionate but available. Being a coug is an amazing experience that one will never truly understand until they step foot in Pullman.

Alejandra

I do not regret coming here. There is a lot to do on campus, a lot of clubs and organizations, and many people to meet. If someone is thinking about coming here I recommend it. But do not only come, but enjoy it and be involved. There are many things that people can join, there is Greek, Clubs, and Organizations, as well as churches that are near campus for various religions. People here are helpful and are willing to lend a hand when needed. The buss stops are very convenient and the buss can quickly take you to the other end of campus, and outside campus to apartments or downtown, or to the store.

I am originally from LA, California, so to transition to a big county to a small town in a different state was absolutely terrifying and exhilarating at the same time. I was mostly worried because I knew the majority of the students attending are Caucasian and I am part of the small 11% of Mexican/Hispanic at WSU. However, this fact did not scare me away, I was actually excited to share my culture with people I get to know. This my second year at WSU and I love it here and I have met so many great people that I am absolutely grateful to have met. You really do feel like apart of a community here, especially during football season. The feeling is honestly like no other. The weather took some adjusting to but I still had fun playing in the snow. I miss my family but my dorm mates are like a second family to me. I do believe the expanse for this school is expensive but I believe it is worth it. You don't just go to class here at WSU, you make friends, participate, make new found memories, and experience life. Even though I am barley starting my journey here at WSU, I know every hard knock in life will be worth it.

Sofia

Washington State is a very open community which includes everyone. It's very welcoming and makes transitioning from high school to college feel very natural and easy. Everyone feels welcome and engaged, much more than other schools in the area; academics and extracurriculars are both highly active in WSU.

Sandra

My overall opinion of Washington State University is an amazing campus. There is lots to do and wonderful places to see around campus. I Enjoyed my stay there for a couple of days. I would love to go back and see building that I didn't get to see. The dorms and the food were extraordinary. the people there were friendly and very nice to talk to.

Maxwell

Washington State University Is a great school over all, with many opportunities for every type of person and an amazing culture. The only down side is the campus is bigger then the city of Pullman, so there is not much to do outside of the campus. Go Cougs!

Joshua

I believe Washington State University is a fantastic institution. The student body is very diverse and finding clubs, activities, or organizations to get involved in is very easy. There are many students for one to connect with and interact with. The faculty also is very nice. There are a lot of professors that try there best to ensure that students succeed in the classroom and outside by providing opportunities like research or activities for students to partake in. This can sometimes be difficult for professors that classes that hold 100+ students, but they still try their best to ensure they have accommodating office hours and help as many students as they can.

Kyle

Washington State University is a great school. This school is such a tight knit family. Honestly, you can ask other people for a ride home and they’ll do it for you. Everybody says that “we’re one big coug family”. The professors are great too, they are always available for office hours, to help you understand material that wasn’t quite understood. They have multiple tutoring session, that are put on by separate university entities. Their graduate program incentives are amazing. They help with tuition, pay for housing, food, and you still get a pay check while being a TA. If you don’t mind the town being slightly hidden away in farm land, this place is great.

Marilyn

It is a great school. Its a cheap in state option and the town is basically new adult proof. There's always help with classes and life is you need it, as the community is here to help and it really feels like a family. It is a bit loud for people who aren't in the party scene.

lizette

Washington State University is a very diverse and friendly community, there is nothing to be afraid of when I am here. The sports games are always a lot of fun and WSU is full of school spirit and celebration which makes it fun to be a part of this place.

zuriel

idk

WSU has the unique charm of a cozy college town. Everything in Pullman is WSU. There is this sense of cougar pride that everyone partakes in. The students are all super nice and you're always near a friend. The professors are always available and there to help you. I love this school.

Yazzmin

Washington State University. Where cougs bleed crimson and grey. In the heart of the Palouse lies this picturesque university. The Cougar pride surrounds Pullman making it the perfect college town. Our campus is jaw dropping. New buildings on every corner. Students roam the Glenn Terrell Mall where you'll most likely run into lots of familiar faces. Cougs help cougs and are always willing to lend a helping hand. The whole campus is your home. From the Northside of campus to the Southside, you'll find your fit at WSU. No coug gets left behind. Can't wait to see you at WSU fellow coug!

Alexa

I absolutely love attending Washington State University. The town of Pullman is the perfect size, and is full of many activities and sporting events to go to. The academics at WSU are challenging, but are manageable with extra-curriculars and jobs. There are a lot of programs dedicated to allowing students to do their best and promoting positive growth, which makes you feel included.

Christopher

I really enjoy the academic atmosphere of the university, and I have always been able to find other students who are focused on studying.

Crystal

It is a great culturally-diverse atmosphere where all students feel included. There are so many opportunities to become involved with the campus. If you are looking for an environment to grow academically, socially, and culturally? The Washington State University is the university for you!

Sevansita

It's like having the best of both worlds. It's a fairly large university in a small-knit community. Everyone looks out for each other, because that's the Coug way. There is a plethora of activities and clubs to take part in, so there's no dull moment here. The University is as diverse as the Pullman weather. The campus always has a scenic view year round, no matter what direction you look. School spirit is a must and it can never die out. Trust me, it's just contagious. Win or lose, Go COUGS!

Miranda

Washington State University has a lot of great programs. I am a part of their Honors College and love the program they have set up. Honors classes are small and discussion based which works really well with my learning style. Other classes are large, but the professors do a great job making it easy to learn and understand the material. If it were only for classes, WSU would be a great school. However, there are times when WSU gets a little crazy. Greek life events got shut down for the rest of the semester and there can be times where you feel like saying something you would normally say, would be offending someone in the eyes of WSU. Sometimes I feel like I cannot voice my opinion for fear of getting put down, but among my friends and classmates, I feel like my voice can be heard. WSU is really a great university.

Kirby

I have had a very positive experience with WSU, and have really enjoyed my time here. I'm not crazy about freshman class sizes, with general biology having 600 people in a class, but there's not much that can be done about that. It can be difficult to get to know professors due to the huge class sizes, and classes only start to reduce in size junior year or so. There is a large Greek presence, but if you're not Greek it's not hard to make friends with Greeks or non-Greeks. Academic experience thus far has been fairly positive, with some classes only being moderately BS or have professors that are 20 years past retirement.

Juanita

I love it! The environment is very friendly and not for a second do I regret my decision to attend. The professors I've had are always available during their office hours and truly care for my education. I always feel safe walking through campus and I can say that we are all truly a coug family.

Savanna

Washington State University Pullman is not only a beautiful campus, but also a school filled with fantastic faculty and staff. In high school they tell you professors will no care about you in college, however at WSU that is not the case, if you communicate with your professor and put forth effort they will do everything they can to help. It isn't only the professors that are this way, but also the administration and office personal, I have had to talk to these individuals multiple times and every time I have they are the most helpful and kindest people. Another aspect of WSU that is evident is the feel on campus. The students know how to pull together to achieve success, for game days, and to support each other and the community. Cougar pride is strong among the students, all over campus, and throughout Pullman. Accepting WSU has been one of the best decisions I could have made for my college career; college is tough, but my coug family has made it easier. Go Cougs!

Lillian

WSU is an amazing school. It is fun and inclusive. Game days are important to the community and everyone gets involved. There are many different sports, clubs, or activities for you to join. If you want to party there are parties and if you don't that is fine as well. The food is pretty good and the dining halls like to switch it up now and again. The only downside is there is not many good shopping places. The only major store we have is walmart. Other than that it is a great place to spend four years at.

Veronica

This university has a great campus community and provides a solid education. Greek life is prominent and may seem overwhelming to those not affiliated, but the Greek community is working on expanding its horizons to become more inclusive. Although located in a small town, there is plenty to do during ones free time such as: visiting Palouse Falls, hiking Kamiak Butte, exploring downtown Pullman and nearby Moscow, and endless community service opportunities. Overall, Washington State University is a life-changing university.

Paul

WSU seems to be a good school and I look forward to being a part of the culture. I am not the typical student as I am 34 and returning to school to further my education to support my family as my wife has recently been diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis and her time as a nurse is limited. Life doesn't always go as planned but with a positive attitude and a good learning environment I believe I will make lifelong friends to help through the hard times.

Morgen

I love Washington State University. This has been my dream school since I was five. I came in expecting the professors not to care who I was or about my grade, huge class sizes and nobody to help me when I am struggling. I was beyond wrong. The professors all care so much about the material and how effective their teaching is, they are extremely approachable and care immensely about my grade. Office hours are a blessing, I use them all of the time. All of my professors are willing to spend as much time with me to help me understand. Classes range in size, I have a few classes where there is around 20 students and other that have about 180 students. No matter how big the class, the professor will always make time for me. There are also so many academic centers to help me, the math learning center has been my best friend, not to mention the writing center. GO COUGS!

Hailey

I have taken a campus tour and I am just in love with it. It feels very welcoming, everyone is very nice and helpful, and there’s a lot of extracurricular activities that anyone can get involved with. Washington state is without a doubt my first choice college.

Attending Washington State University was the best thing I have ever done. I enjoy everything about this campus. There are so many resources around us, and a great faculty who is always there to encourage every coug to continue their education. The best part about WSU, is the amazing people on campus who always have your back. Go cougs!

Ania

As a transfer student and original UW fan, I absolutely fell in love with Washington State when I came for orientation weekend. The university, tucked away in an unassuming town in a corner of Washington State, surrounded by wheatfields, I've found the most amazing, supportive, and loving people. It drastically differed from my experience at Gonzaga because at Washington State University, it's so inclusive. I 've never felt like I had to try to be loved, I was welcomed with open arms and I encourage anyone looking for their home to look at this school.

Dianeli

Washington State University is a spirited, welcoming, and friendly university. You are able to build a strong community and family with your peers that will support you and motivate you to pursue your educational and career goals. Because it is a predominantly white institute, administration lacks support for students of color. It is important for students of color to build a family within the multicultural community so they can get the support they need and deserve. This university brings together students of all backgrounds to love and proudly represent Cougars. Once a Coug, always a Coug!

Jason

My opinion of Washington State University is that it is one of the best universities in the Pacific Northwest, hands down. There are a lot of fun activities that anyone can do, inside and outside the campus. The students maintain their excellence academically, as well as knowing how to have fun when it's necessary. I would stay there for the rest of my life if I could.

Benjamin

Go Cougs! WSU is all about the Cougar community. It is a welcoming family of individuals who may have their own path, but they are supportive of all. The professors are there to help if asked and genuinely enjoy their students’ successes. The opportunities provided by the Honors College for smaller class sizes and undergraduate research were a huge factor in my decision to attend.

Camila

As an out of state student, it's easy to be overwhelmed by attending college 1,156 miles from home. Though I was filled with excitement, I knew that there’d be days I cry over facetime to my friends back home, text my sisters nearly every day for a few hours a day, call my mom teary-eyed but tell her I was doing fine. And even though I still very much do those things, it’s not as often as one might have predicted. Just after a few days, I could already begin seeing the next four years of my life happening in Pullman. It sounds cliche, but the sense of community really is like nothing I’ve ever seen or heard of before. There’s something so unifying about walking down the street and being able to yell “Go Cougs!” and having someone on the other side of the street yelling it back. We wear our gear with pride and defend it with honor, quite literally. There is really a place for everyone here, and I promise you’re bound to find your niche. With so many clubs and centers for students as a safe space, to meet and make friends, do homework, and get involved with the clubs and community. With professors who stick to their office hours, help you build connection, and go out of their way to present the material in a way that is new and fresh and teach, actually teach, will redefine what you think education should be like. There’s nothing like sitting in a classroom and feeling like you’ll actually remember the material four weeks into the semester. Feeling curious and eager to know more. Not just about the topic you’re learning of that day, but inspired to know more about something else that came up, to continue your endeavor of education. Everyone truly wants you here. As a collective student body, we all work together to ensure our peers’ safety, wellbeing and involvement. We are defining what it means to be a student here at WSU and the experience, to make it a good one for everyone who walks on campus. Being a Coug is a life experience. It’ll change the way you see the world, build relationships with people and will help you be the best version of yourself every day. Being a Coug goes beyond a degree, an experience, a club, sorority, or a center. Being a Coug is the equivalent of what Hawaiians refer to Ohana. “Ohana means family” and as Lilo says “And Family means nobody gets left behind or forgotten.” At Washington State University, "A Coug is a Coug" is just that.

I have loved Washington State University since my first year. It is miles away from home, yet still close. At the University I found a home away from home that I didn't anticipate finding. I learned that the staff here really want to see you accomplish something. I have heard before that WSU has a great job hiring rate for graduating students. While watching the staff interact with students I can tell why. I have made more connections here in four years than I made in 18 years in my hometown. WSU has not only allowed me to grow in my education, but in every aspect of my life from personally to professionally to socially.

Jasmine

Washington State University is a great school for all aspects of the average college student. Students are able to join sororities /fraternities if they please while getting the education they need and come to school for! The students that are looking for a lowkey chill experience also have the opportunity to do that as well, there are several places on campus to lounge around and to meet new people if they please!

Kiana

I have enjoyed my time at Washington State, and will enjoy my three semesters. It has offered me many opportunities and academic endeavors. The education and university credentials will help me in the occupational world. I feel that being a part of the Carson College of Business will help my credentials when finding a job after college.