Washington University in St Louis Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Washington University in St Louis

Nicholas

Washington University in St. Louis is a top-level university. The students are on par with the level at Ivy League schools. The students are extremely intelligent, motivated, and passionate about a broad range of topics. They are very open to others. The student body is extremely diverse, with students coming from all over the world and the U.S. As a result of that, there is never a dull moment at WashU. What really drew me to WashU was that the students are very cooperative and supportive of one another. The academic culture is collaborative, not cutthroat, which means the world in such a tough academic environment. That factor alone differentiates WashU from other top-tier universities. In addition to an amazing student population, WashU has the best dorms and food, by far, compared to other universities. Each student gets a Tempurpedic memory foam mattress! The food is world-class, and never gets old. In terms of entertainment, WashU is bursting with opportunities for fun and enjoyment. From presentations to dance shows to Presidential debates, WashU has it all. WashU sits just next to Forest Park in an upper-class neighborhood, making it very safe. Forest Park hosts a zoo and multiple museums, all of which are free! Saint Louis itself has a huge amount of history and tradition, ranging from barbecue to the Gateway Arch. With the free public transportation offered to all WashU students, you can access it all, at any time. WashU truly is another home, full of bright, ambitious people who grow together to become the best of the next generation.

As a type A personality, I would definitely say that this is a type B school. What I mean to say is that this school is very outgoing and encourages everyone to get involved. Generally, the more energetic and fun loving you are, the better things will go well for you. If you just come here to get an education, adjusting to the culture here will be difficult. That being said, the academics here are wonderful, and this school is well known for their pre-professional programs. While this is the case, some true gems can be found in the Humanities department. I would check it out should you come here.

Marina

NA

Edem

WashU is very intense academically; our midterms last basically the whole semester. A great thing about WashU is there is something for everyone. There are so many groups and intramural teams that you can meet people who you can really relate to. The people on campus have a reputation for being generally friendly, but like everywhere else people can act differently in private. I think, like most colleges, you will have a wonderful experience if you put your education first and find a good group of friends.

Yiran

I'm pretty interested in this group.

guo

Awesome!

Shruthi

WashU is an incredible school where the students are so diverse, intelligent, and open-minded. There are so many understanding peers and it's such a supportive culture. There isn't much of a competitive spirit in terms of bringing people down; everyone around you simply wants to help you and to collaborate. However, there are currently many concerns with the way the Title IX affairs are being conducted, as there have recently been many accusations of sexual assault that have been left unattended and largely ignored. Fraternities with members who have been accused have been able to cover up the accusations and get away with any potential misdemeanors, which is severely unacceptable. I really hope this will change, but apart from this urgent, current campus-wide issue, you could not look any further for a better university in all other aspects.

Isabelle

Going to WashU has been like Heaven on Earth. I never imagined that I would love a college so much; the students are incredible, and the professors are interesting, complex individuals that love to teach their students. While some of the larger lecture classes may feel like weed-out classes (particularly freshman year), they only get better with time. This past year, students protested to get workers on campus a $15 wage per hour, which is about $8 more than the Missouri minimum wage. Furthermore, so many students are volunteering with Planned Parenthood after the Missouri abortion ban, and a bunch of clubs on campus partake in volunteer and donation efforts. In short, the people at WashU are one-of-a-kind, and there is nowhere else I would rather be.

zoe

Washington University is a great overall school. It is very academically rigorous and your professors expect a lot form you. Some programs are stronger than others but overall the school does an exceptional job of providing renowned faculty for all subjects. I attended the school of arts which holds the studio art major and the communication design major. The art school at WashU gets a wrap for being extremely difficult and unsupporting of a healthy work-life balance. As a junior, I can say that the art school is more rigors than other schools within the university. For the fact that art students are in class for more hours and often recive a larger workload that requires more time. The administration recognizes this and is taking steps to implement more mental health resources for its students. Mental health problems are persistent throughout the entire WashU community. Everyone laughs about how they pulled an all-nighter or how they are slowly dying on the inside. While it is nice that mental health issues are destigmatized on campus the desensitization of them is dangerous. WashU is known for having a disproportionate amount of students from the one percent or high-income families. This is very prevalent on campus, especially during the winter when a ridiculous amount of students are wearing the notoriously expensive Canada Goose Jackets. This is a problem that the university has yet to make real efforts to solve. While they do admit students from lower-income families there is still a large portion of the university that would be considered wealthy. All-in-All WashU is a great college with a bountiful amount of resources, grants, job opportunities, and speaking events, but like any other institutions, it is not perfect and has problems that have yet to be addressed.

Great school with lots of opportunity. Campus is great and has a feel of being home. People are freiendly and very willing to start casual conversation. The facilities are some of the best I have seen and they are adding on to the campus to make it even better. All in all this was a great experience.

Madeline

Although Wash U is pretty rigorous academically, there are an incredible amount of resources to help make the transition easier. The students are also extremely kind and are always willing to help out someone in need. It would be difficult not to find a group in which you feel at home.

Kourtney

I think that Washington University is the perfect private school. More rigorous and challenging than a state school, but not as much pressure as a an ivy league school. The academics are nice, as well as the facilities and on campus dorms. Plus, the students and faculty here are very nice and helpful. There is a good environment here and it is not far away from great places to hang out and eat in the city.

Lerroy

Absolutely great university. Such a beautiful campus that is supplemented by great people and academics. The food is also very good. As a freshman I was put into a very nice residential college. It was very comfortable and I got along very well with everyone on the hall. WashU aslo offers a plethora of great clubs

David

WashU is the perfect place for a young, ambitious intellectual who is not quite ivy league material. We have the perfect balance between academics and partying; we know to study and we know how to party. Class is important and can be difficult at times, but there are plenty of on-campus resources for academic support, such as Cornerstone and the RAs

Alana

I have greatly enjoyed my time at Washington University in St. Louis so far. There is a great academic culture that I feel like I have become a part of and settled into. The dorm rooms and food options are above average I would say, and there are many activities available to join. Everyone has been very welcoming and helpful.

Emma

Certainly a place full of brilliant minds, but there is a very low level of peer competition. Rather, support is generously given to all students, and faculty and fellow students truly just want to see you succeed. There is definitely a feeling of privilege and wealth among students, but every school has it's weaker spots.

Destinee

WashU is my dream school. I just completed my first year and I can't wait until school starts back this fall. I'm learning so much in my classes about the world and about myself. I like meeting people from different countries and cultures. I'd recommend Wash U to anyone interested in a quality education and diversity.

Kailin

I absolutely love it here. Definitely the best decision I've made! I came to study engineering and found the opportunities inside and outside of class to be beyond my expectations. The extracurricular opportunities to develop independent projects, research, and business ventures are second to none and rapidly expanding in the St. Louis community.

Margot

I think WashU is the typical midwestern school, where people genuinely talk to one another and enjoy helping each other out. The education is hard, but 100% worth it. It's expensive, but that means facilities are beautiful and classes are really small most of the time.

Erika

“Mom, I’m not headed to DC, and, Dad, I can’t visit the family in Seattle.” “Why not?” They asked. “Because Washington University… it’s in St. Louis.” I had a bit of a rocky start, but once I reached campus, I knew St. Louis would be home for the next four years. I approached Brookings Hall, a larger-than-life castle flanked by rows of tulips. The campus boasted beautiful gothic buildings, a dining hall straight from Hogwarts, and a recently renovated athletic complex. The South Forty, the forty acres that housed underclassmen, felt almost like an all-inclusive resort complete with Tempur-Pedic mattresses and premium dining options, accessible with the quick swipe of a campus card. Wash U provided incredible opportunities both within and outside the classroom. I made lasting friendships with interesting, genuine people from across the country. Together, we studied hard, and played hard too. We were in Greek Life, sports teams, student government, and more. At Wash U, we had the opportunity to do everything… everything but sleep. The Wash U ecosphere had all that I needed for four years, but here’s a piece of advice: don’t be afraid to break out of “the Wash U Bubble.” Grab dinner in the Delmar Loop, take a jog or visit the zoo and art museum in neighboring Forest Park, and use your free Metro pass to explore St. Louis. Enjoy your four years at Wash U and start practicing the mantra that has united students of the past and present by learning to repeat, “Washington University… it’s in St. Louis.”

Washington University in Saint Louis is a great college to attend. I am from St. Louis originally and have really enjoyed living on campus and having all the city amenities nearby. The education is also amazing. I am majoring in art history and have been able to partake in my many interesting classes that pertain to my major and prepare me for my future career.

Essence

Great School

Bernardo

It's a dope place to study, learn, grow, meet people, and have fun. I would recommend WashU to anyone who is ready and eager to work extremely hard and create something impactful, but always excited about having fun and meeting new people. St. Louis is a surprisingly cool place to live, and our food is amazing!

Roderick

Wash U is an overall happy place even with the rigor students face academically. I have been able to find a supportive friend group, faculty to mentor me and an athletic group that allows me to grow into my best self. For someone who has struggled in college, I'm happy with the systems they have in place to help you figure out how to improve your academic performance.

Washington University in St. Louis is a great place to not only learn, but also thrive as a student and adult being. With the entire city of St. Louis at your disposable, including the downtown area, forest park, restaurants on the Delmar Loop and much more, there is no time to ever be bored. You'll be receiving a world-class education and enjoying your time while doing so.

Look, it was a life-altering experience because I made it so. Don't get me wrong, the university did all the work up front. The art school is full of talented professors making their own ground-breaking works. You can find any category of extra-curricular activity both on and off campus. The students are bright and involved. The campus was ready and waiting - I just had to come in with a positive mindset and a willingness to try. Good luck!

Washington University has a beautiful campus and the castle-like buildings make you feel like you are up in New England area. The class sizes are well managed and the students appreciate the level of academics provided. I have enjoyed my classes and I am amazed at what I have learned and accomplished while there.

B

Excellent institution all around. As a medical student, the faculty are extremely accessible for mentoring and allow you to be involved in influential research projects. I have been mentored and supported by multiple department chairs during my time here. I am currently interviewing for residency positions and have found the WashU name to be extremely well received across the country, including in San Francisco, LA, and Baltimore. I am considering continuing my career in St. Louis however given the number of opportunities. St Louis has been a lovely place to live (particularly in the areas near Forest Park) with a ton of free museums, bars, and cafes. As a male taking standard precautions, I have never felt unsafe in the city. Financial aid and merit aid for medical students are fantastic. WashU Med is overall more prestigious than other medical schools I got into, including UChicago, Yale, Michigan, Vanderbilt, and Northwestern, but also was by far the least expensive for me to attend. Hands down, very happy with my decision to come here.

Camila

WashU is absolutely incredible. By the end of our first semester, my roommate and I were already lamenting how we'd only be here for four years. Everyone has such a good vibe, the campus is stunning, and there are countless opportunities to take advantage of. One of my professors even offered (out of the blue) to pay me to do independent research on a topic of my choosing this summer, even after COVID-19 craziness. Students are always happy to help each other learn, and on multiple occasions, I've had classmates reach out and check up on me to make sure I was doing okay when things were rough. I'm so happy I chose WashU, and I can't recommend it enough. If you're looking for a top-tier education within a positive and supportive community, WashU is the place to go.

Washington University masks itself as a school full of students who want to make a difference. But after being on this campus for a year and a half, I can honestly say that this is the farthest from the truth. The majority of the students that I have met at this university say that they want to make a difference in the world, but every time they are given the opportunity to help another person, they instead ridicule the person for asking for help.

Ryan

WashU was a great place to learn and challenge myself. The academics are top-notch and the students, faculty and staff all contribute to a great culture on campus. The classes are engaging and the cover a wide variety of interesting topics. There is a large culture of giving on campus and becoming involved in the community. Most students are involved in multiple student groups, and are involved in the St. Louis community as well. The only area for improvement is the career services. For a top-ranked university, the career opportunities are slightly less than other peer schools. Relative to its rankings WashU under-performs in terms of on campus recruiting opportunities.

Cherie-Ann

It is easy to get lost at WashU and if you don't feel valued then you may feel isolated, but there are support systems in place for students and if you find out about them in time then there is no reason not to succeed at WashU. The academics are incredibly rigorous but the environment does not shame those who feel overwhelmed just take a deep breath and assess your options.