Washtenaw Community College Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Washtenaw Community College

Myia

All around, WCC is a good school. Some things about it, make it difficult for students to maintain an education which could be why their graduation rate is so low. It seems like they don't realize that not every student is fresh out of high school with their parents help. For example, when I got pregnant during a semester I had little support and was getting screamed at in the middle of class for going to the bathroom so much to pee and throw up. I had another instructor who would scream at students so loudly he made one girl have an anxiety attack, not knowing she was suffering from PTSD from the military. Last year, I had to have emergency open heart surgery in the middle of a semester. I failed both of my classes because their were no policies in place for financial aid students with medical emergencies and if I would have dropped the classes I would have had to pay all of the money back. This significantly lowered my GPA.

Kristy

I absolutely love Washtenaw Community College. Before moving into this area, I attended another community college and the staff, resources, support, and environment are all completely different. I was able to join the STEM scholars program here and my opportunities exploded out before me. Grants and scholarships are easy to apply for and easy to get, the staff are simply exceptional people, and I realized I could hardly recall the name of any professor from my previous college experience. Here, I know them all and they know me, too. If you are looking for an excellent community college, this is it.

Haleigh

Washtenaw Community College is an incredible institution of higher learning. In my eyes, they deserve a five-star rating for a plethora of reasons. The enlightened, compassionate professors enhance the experience with their knowledge, enthusiasm to teach the material, and willingness to learn from their students. The care and thoughtfulness that they carry throughout their days is impeccable. I had missed a couple classes to care for my great-grandfather, and it meant the world to me when my professor asked if he could speak with me after class to ask me how I had been doing and inquire as to why I missed those classes. When I explained what was happening, he was extremely empathetic, reiterated his office hours, and gave me studying tips for success in the course. I was grateful for the awareness and care he provided to myself, and every other student. Another professor began her lectures by engaging in a ten-minute discussion about current events, which was relevant to the course being taught, and the conversation was guided to the material covered for that day. I enjoyed how it was a smooth way to ease everyone into the class, and it made each person open up to engage with one another. Another quality that makes this college appealing is how a multitude of credits transfer to the majority of other colleges and universities throughout Michigan. I began my educational journey after graduating from high school at Washtenaw Community College. I was able to easily transfer all of the credits I earned to Eastern Michigan University. Also, the college has numerous transfer programs with outlined Articulation Agreements to the University of Michigan, Eastern Michigan University, Wayne State University, and more. It is also beneficial to many students, including myself, that Washtenaw Community College has extremely fair and cost-effective tuition rates. They offer discounted tuition if you live, work more than 30 hours per week, work as an au pair, or own property in the district of Washtenaw County. There are additional reductions for those who take classes at one of their extension centers, are 65 years of age or older, or work for the college. My experience at Washtenaw Community College was elevated in plenty of ways. They offer many opportunities to get involved in campus events, including job fairs, coffee with the college president, and more. They offer local cuisine such as Cottage Inn Pizza, Earthen Jar, Satchel’s BBQ, and additional fare in the Student Center cafeteria. My personal favorite event at the college was when emotional support dogs were brought into the library to console the students while they studied and worked on homework—it was the best way to turn your day around and find relief while working so diligently. Washtenaw Community college offers a positive atmosphere where the students are encouraged, appreciated, and able to gain valuable insight into their program of study!

Alicia

It's a great school with a wonderful atmosphere. the professors are always available through email or in person when you need them. The academic advisors are the true gem of the college. They always keep you on track to reach your goals. The college is reasonably priced.

Cha Cha

I really love the class size and everything looks like it's in order and some of the teachers are part-time so they don't really have an office hour but you can make an appointment with them to see them.

Alexa

Washtenaw has been a decent first choice college for me. I am taught the basics of what I need to know as well as future steps for improving the basics. Students and professors are both friendly. They talk openly about anything that is going on. If you have lived a sheltered or protected life, do not expect anything to be kept under wraps. Some people openly discuss their drug life and others maintain the conversation. Do not believe it when it says the campus is "smoke-free." Sidewalk cracks are pretty much filled with cigarette butts. WCC is worth attending since it is inexpensive and has great facilities. Except the bathrooms. Each bathroom has its own characteristics that make it a hassle to use. Some flush automatically and others you have to specify if you need to flush up or down. There is a similar issue with the sinks and the paper towel dispensers. You should be able to make friends with classmates no matter the age difference. Remember that everyone has a reason for going to school at different times in their life.

Lhontu

I really like the school. They offer flexible options for classes and have flexible class times. I currently go online but will be converting to full time campus student for the next semester. The fin aid office is never super busy and in the center where all the offices that students need are located, like Student Counseling, Fin Aid, Enrollment Services, Cashier etc, there is rarely longer than a 10 min wait and my wait time averages like 3-5. Not bad for a school! I enjoy the fact I choose them as they have a 3+1 partnership program with Eastern Michigan for social work so school is affordable and convenient.

Anna

WCC is the first college I have gone to, but it has given me a chance to drive myself in the right decision. My teacher, the curriculum, the students; it is all so engaging, and we are all there for one reason; to learn and become a better more involved person. I have found myself to enjoy learning more because these teachers and academic process. They have made me feel a little closer to knowing I can do this I thank them for this experience to come, it will be something significant I will always look back on with great admiration.

Hailey

It was a great place to get a good amount of credits under my belt, but not have to pay an arm and a leg. The staff are great, for the most part, they seem like they really want to be there. It is nice to have a variety of people of all background and ages to learn from.

Huda

It's a very nice school that has many free resources to make sure students perform their best. Most professors are passionate about their jobs and love to help when you ask. Their fees are very reasonable. I would definitely recommend this school to anyone interested in getting an associates.

Chryss Anthony

Just great. Big enough to allow diversity, the meeting all kind of people with the different activities and clubs available throughout campus, and small enough to get all the assistance you may need from a teacher or anybody from the staff. Moreover, the school presents an excellent flexibility with class schedule to fit the diverse need of students.

I think Washtenaw is a wonderful school that'll benefit me immensely. I love the small class sizes, the free tutoring, how nice everyone is, and I'm very excited I can take programs on photography. Photography is a very big part of my life and not many colleges offer it, and Washtenaw offers the best to improve photography skills.

Aazhane

I absolutely love it! It is a very nice and quiet environment. The teachers are extremely helpful and contact you back quickly. There are a lot of opportunities and things to do. One of my favorite things I've done at Washtenaw was going to Cedar point with them

Shawn

i think Washtenaw Community College is a magnificent school! The teachers are great and try to work with you the best they can. It makes the high school transition smooth and painless. There is a transfer program for the University of Michigan: Ann Arbor. The transfer program is a really great feature because it really helps the students who dream of attending U of M. Washtenaw is a well rounded school and I recommend it to anyone. This school is fit for all students and will start you off to your future desires.

Frances

Opinion of WCC from a Liberal Arts Major (music and art studies) My experience at Washtenaw Community College was extremely mixed. While they boast about how inexpensive the school is compared to others in the area, keep in mind that you get what you pay for. A quality education is as important as the connections you make while you’re there. Washtenaw is great for getting prerequisites out of the way, and as a transfer school, they have great facilities (computer lab, fully loaded Macs, great photography program). My psychology, biology, and writing classes were top-notch. My Drawing 1 and Life Drawing classes were challenging and inspiring. The music program is terrible. My guitar teachers did more soloing and gear talk than teaching, anyone in the jazz combo class who didn’t play guitar was ignored for the semester, and the “Self Management for Working Artists” class was outdated and unfocused and the teacher frequently made a point to mention how much money he made.. As an artist, my guidance counselors actively discouraged me from taking art classes (not that there’s many to take anyways), and told me to pursue something more practical. As a comparison, friends who have gone through the art or music programs at UofM have made better connections, gotten a more rigorous education, and have developed the work ethic and dedication that it takes to have a viable creative career. WCC felt remedial and at times, like an extension of high school. Go here for nursing, welding, business, audio recording, photography, or graphic design. Go here for High school through their WTMC program. Go here with the intention of transferring. Do not go here for music.

Matthew

The facility there is good for starting off your general course and helps find out what career you want to pursue in. The resources for the Graphic Design department is beyond reliable , the only drawback I see is the choices of food in the student Center is limited

Steven

I think Washtenaw is a great school and I really enjoy going here. My experience at Washtenaw Community College has been really good thus far. Washtenaw has been of big help in understanding and supporting me through school. The teachers as well as the Learning Support Services are very understanding and willing to help and have given me accommodations to help in classes.

Imaan

During my time at Washtenaw Community College I came across very helpful and easily accessible professors. Their non discriminatory behavior towards a a class of diverse student body is what really impressed me. I always left my classrooms with knowledge worthy of holding on to. The convenience of the parking space is anther plus for this college, I always found parking space in timely manner.

Kelly

Overall, I have had a great experience. It is inexpensive and easy to enroll. There are plenty of class sections offered to accommodate a busy schedule. Class sizes are small, usually 30 students or less. Most professors are awesome and easy to get a hold of. I like every professor I have taken a class with. I would definitely recommend taking classes here!

Brett

Washtenaw provides a very vital niche to our community; It's a school you can go to while figuring life out. This flexibility is the common thread to the many of my WCC classmates. Tution is incredibly affordable, and this allows you to take classes that may otherwise not fit exactly within your "plan." There is an extreme degree of latitude transferring credits within Michigan. Ann Arbor is an extremely competitive scholastic market, you are HIGHLY likely to find a wonderful school that can meet your needs. If you've decided academia isn't for you, WCC also has an excellent trades center as well. Bottom line: WCC doesn't limit your options, and it lets you choose your path.

Preston

Washtenaw is great. The class sizes are small, the staff are true educated people who truly know what they're teaching, and student life is relatively easy. This is coming from a college freshman, who thought that college would be this insane rush; but it hasn't been, Washtenaw has made it easy. The food is great, the student center is great, the facilities are great, and staff is great. I have no complaints. So far I definitely feel as if I've made the right choice by going to Washtenaw Community College.

Shannon

A decent sized community college. You get what you need for affordable prices and there are tons of options for classes. Campus feels safe due to the friendly security team. Buildings are close together and there are tons of places around campus for students to study and get together. MY personal favorite iOS the bowl during the spring time.

Harmony

I believe that overall, Washtenaw Community College is a good college but your experience depends on you not just as a student but also your personal life and personality. Your experience also depends on your professor and can be out of your control sometimes. I do feel really safe on campus and think that everybody can find a group of friends. There's good diversity and not a lot of restriction. I do think that there should be more things closer to campus like within walking distance because everything is kinda far.

Brett

A wonderful standalone facility, and an excellent transitory institution if you're looking to transfer to any University in the state of Michigan. Washtenaw Community College is staffed with professionals with vast experience teaching and within varied careers; their guidance is on par with any school in the country. This is not your average CC.

khaola

My overall opinion about washtenaw community college is that it's a nice affordable school. The professors are nice and respectful to students of diverse backgrounds. The student teacher ratio is decent size, about 25-30 students per classroom. The professors are always accessible via email and they have regular office hours. It is conveniently located in Ann Arbor in a very safe neighborhood. It's easily accessible by public transportation and they offer free bus shuttle to the college as well. The parking convenience is remarkable because its plenty and absolutely free. They also have a high school program where students can earn a high school diploma as well as an associates degree when they graduate. They offer a writing center, math tutoring and homework help center where students can get free help between open hours. People from all walks of life can easily adjust to life at WCC because of the friendly and welcoming environment. WCC offers membership at their fitness center for a minimum charge, so you can workout while you're waiting between classes and observe a healthy lifestyle. They also have scholarships for summer classes, which are offered to financially eligible students and very easy to get. One of the most important quality of a school that people look for is professional placement after graduation.It is important to have a school that doesn't forget about you after you graduate and I don't mean just for requesting donations. But having resources and guidance for starting ones journey after leaving a university setting.I felt that WCC lacked this aspect of a good school. It is really important for me to be with people that care about my growth as a person and how my education is going to make me a better human being and more valuable to society. I felt this was not the case. But this is not unusual of the way academia is currently setup. There was one exception that I came across, the advisor for Early Childhood Education; She became a mentor to me and a person I looked towards for guidance not just in my immediate courses, but also for my long term goals. This person gave me the vision of what kind of professional I want to aspire to be like. Through her education, wisdom, and life experiences I received an education that I could not have learned simply from books.

Kaia

It's a community college, so you won't find things like Greek life, dorms, and raging parties. However, people still have fun, either through recreational activities between classes (frisbee is a favorite) or by participating in one or more of the many student-run clubs and organizations. The campus is very beautiful, and well-maintained. The education is very high quality, and the professors really know their subject matter. The student body is very diverse, and there are people from all walks of life.

Kelli

Washtenaw Community College is a great place to start your higher education. The class sizes are small and teachers are eager to help. The price per credit hour is relatively cheap compared to many other four-year universities. Taking my general education requirements at WCC has saved me money while working towards my degree.

Jenna

so far I have really enjoyed Washtenaw Community College. The most positive part has definitely been how kind the professors are. It's no secret that many of them truly care about their students and want them to succeed. My other favorite part is the fellow students. Many are outgoing and warm!

Kamaria

Washtenaw is a really good school with many opportunities for those who look for them. It’s filled with teachers that really care about how their students are learning and making sure we finish our classes with passing grades. I haven’t experienced anything negative in my first semester nor do I ever expect to.

Keaton

I have thoroughly enjoyed my time there. All of the teachers are extremely helpful and want to do the most to help you succeed. The students are also extremely helpful as well. Overall, it is a great community college. I would highly recommend attending Washtenaw Community College, especially if you are uncertain of what you want to do.

Asiyah

Washtenaw Community was there for me when I needed it most. I had not been convinced on whether or not I even wanted to attend college, especially seeing as I felt I wouldn't be any good at it. But WCC showed me that college can be a worthwhile experience beyond just passing a class or getting some credit towards your degree. I took Astronomy, and not only passed, but got an A. The Environmental Science class I took educated me on topics such as recycling, plastic in our water and how to address climate change. Before, science wasn't something I felt I ever really connected to - I'm not an inquisitive person. I tend to believe that some things just are and we shouldn't ask why. But I started asking why. And make connections between education of women and the subsequent population size of a country. The professor I had truly impacted how I view the world. I love that. Yes, not all my professors I had were awesome. Some were just adequate, some made me drop the course after the first class. But Washtenaw Community College is overall a very comfortable and safe environment for those who wish to try to find themselves for a couple of years. The food is good (quesadillas, anyone). They make things accessible for those who need accommodations. There's even a fitness center across the street. I'm glad I spent my time there and I would recommend it to anyone who needs a place that will support their passions. Go for it.

It is a great building block school, its easy to transfer from and haven't had a bad teacher yet.

Melanie

I really enjoy going to Washtenaw Community College. Mainly because of the size of that classes. You really get to know your professors and they are always available to help you. Whether it is in class, after class, via email, or phone. I also really enjoy the atmosphere of the college. Everyone is nice, outgoing, and eager to learn.

Michelle

Washtenaw has been a great experience for me. I started attending back in 2015 and I must say I have come across some great instructors. The classroom sizes are awesome. This make it easier for the instructor to connect with the students. I would recommend everyone who lives in Ypsilanti or Ann Arbor MI to attend here before going to a University.